Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive The Long Dark

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This game is absolutely amazing and the best thing that has come from kickstarter yet.

www.http://intothelongdark.com/

The Long Dark should be in the RPG section. Very little combat but the brutal difficulty of the old days, every day can be your last. It has good balance (for an alpha) and encourages complex strategy. It's main weaknesses right now are: repetitiveness, lack of a second map (coming soon ..) and a somwehat unbalanced random generation.

The alpha problems however pose an interesting challenge in itself: just how far you one go with the pure, unmodded game. In the beginning I thought 1-2 weeks. Then I heard that seom people played a month, then others 100+ days. I now believe that if you get a good random seed you could survive a year, or even longer. Once the game will be polished and have extra content / mods that challenge will be gone, at least that's what happened in other games like Kerbal Space program.

I ended my last playthrough after 20 days, because I realized I should not have wasted my resources so early. This time I will move slowly, leave parts of the map unexplored live "off the land" right away.

Ok here is how it went so far ..

-->SEASON 1
-->SEASON 2

day21.jpg

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

5 days, 19 hours.

tld%202014-10-01%2015-59-47-34.jpg

The Trapper's Homestead, probably the best base in the game. I went there right from the start and began harvesting meat from carcasses, without spending time exploring. The aim was to become self sufficient as soon as possible.

tld%202014-10-02%2011-11-01-98.jpg

Inside Trappers Homestead, I found a rifle in good condition and 5 ammunition, a hunting knife (necessary for harvesting meat) a toolkit. sewing kit and some other stuff.

There are also some very good containers, 4 of which can hold 20 kg, and the safe, which I use for storing my food.

Knife, rifle and a second toolkit and enough metal means I could survive for a long time, but I will of course look for more matches and better clothes, as well as a lamp and a hatchet. Though most of that isn't an absolute requirement, only matches or a firestriker and tinder, and I could make an almost infinite amount of fires.

tld%202014-10-01%2016-22-00-79.jpg

Such carcasses have now become my lifeline. I cook every gram of meat I find, and even eat some of it raw. Fortunately the wolves kill deer now and then, so I usually find fesh carcasses.

Eating meat is a constant race against time. The decay speed is so ridiculously fast that I sometimes don't rest an hour before cooking it, because it will drop ~ 10% every hour. I cook everything at once, store it in the safe and consume it in 1-2 days. Canned food was never wasted during the collecting stage but stored for emergencies. It can stay for weeks and the risk for poisoning is comparatively low. Right at the beginning of my new life I have already 2-3 days worth of canned provisions, and hardly explored anything on the map. Most days I search for new carcasses and eat meat. Iinstead of looting everything right away I can explore the map when the weather is good, with a stockpile food in my hut. That way I also have a good chance of finding the secret bunker, without actively looking for it, just by planning out different routes across the map. I think I will eventually find it, although I don't know when.

I haven't used a single bullet so far, the first one will be for "Fluffy". That's a pretty nasty wolf that guards the hydro dam and kills you 90% of the time, if you dont bring the rifle.

tld%202014-10-01%2016-04-54-65.jpg

Rifle ammunition, if I dont find more of that I am fucked. Right now I have 10 bullets, 5 of them were lying in the snow near the railroad.

tld%202014-10-02%2011-58-41-54.jpg

My life has lasted 5 days, but I have barely begun exploring the map, and lived almost entirely from carcasses. So far I have never managed to make a stickpile of wood or water, everything had to be used right away. Stockpiled canned food, energy bars etc. But in total it would last only for 1 or 2 days, so I need to head out to the hydro dam. Bedroll, my last cooked meat and chose the direct route through the hills, which is much faster than going along the railway tracks.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, the game is pretty great. I just love the fact that the biggest danger is the weather. The game also has a certain aesthetic that is both charming and utilitarian because you have no problem with reckognising items and elements of environment.

The game can go places if they will really expand the area you can play on, add a lot of interesting places to visit and loot, more dangers to encounters etc. The story mode also seems to be shaping pretty nicely. Definately a game to check if you like survival+exploration in cold, harsh, unforgiving environment.

Burning Bridges

8 days 14 hours.

tld 2014-10-02 11-13-33-39.jpg

Heading out for another time. I cannot stay in the Trapper's Homestead forever. I have only one pair of shoes and they are in terrible condition, so without shoes I cannot stay much longer. I also need a lamp.

tld 2014-10-02 16-13-41-10.jpg

I killed Fluffy! It actually went so fast, I could not make a screenshot or anything.
He was at me even before I could raise the goddamn rifle, and I was damn lucky to kill him with my bare hands.

My condition down to 23%, and dead wolf at my feet, I was infected and bleeding so bad, I'd have to stay at least one day inside the dam and recover from the fight. Fortunately I had bandages and antiseptic, and can now live from Fluffies meat for 2 days.

I wanteds to eat all of Fluffy,

tld 2014-10-02 16-16-55-46.jpg

but half of it decayed while I slept to recover from injuries .. There was nothing I could do, I'm too weak to collect wood and make a fire. But with the meat I could eventually recover and get some goodies from the dam. I have now 2 hatchets and 3 knifes .. ridiculous.

Most of the containers were left unopened for the future.

tld 2014-10-02 17-40-47-85.jpg

On the way back with 30 kg (10 kg gear and 20 kg provisions), I stop at one of my favorite places,

tld 2014-10-02 17-40-56-45.jpg

the Lone Cabin.

tld 2014-10-02 17-43-45-68.jpg

inside lives my only friend I have at the moment. I call him Alex and he is very useful as a container.
Unfortunately he does not talk much.

tld 2014-09-30 18-59-05-60.jpg

One of Fluffie's mates. So far it's live and let live with the other wolves.
They make a wide berth around me and I around them.

tld 2014-10-02 17-57-26-54.jpg

Here we go, back in the Homestead after 8 days, I needed 1 day to recover and are now seriously low on water and wood. I can use some of my stored cans to recover for the 2 days lost without collecting wood. But as a result of my expedition to the dam I have now 1 lantern + fuel, and some better clothes, best of all: insulated boots, 2 pairs of shoes, cargo pants and several jeans, 2 warm winter jackets and underwear in good condition, as well as a lot of spare clothes so I can eventually make a second set to wear at home, and use the rest as cloth.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

On day 9 I was seriously running low on food and firewood. The weather was -30C most of the time so I could only collect a little wood while resting and cooking a little water.
Then I had a food poisoning and had to stay in bed for 10 hours. Meat was also hard to find, although I was not desperate enough to shoot a deer (makes little sense when you have no water). Fortunately I had a depot of 1-2 days of food left saved for emergencies. I could have lived for 2 days on energy bars, salt crackers and canned peaches, while collecting wood and building my water supply again. Then shoot a deer, collect more wood and cook the meat. I would be fine after 2 days but all my canned provisions would be gone ... I did not like that idea.

Fortunately I had a much better option. On my trip to the dam I had seen the entrance to the secret location (Preppers Cache), which eluded me on my first playthrough when I was mostly staying on the roads.

tld 2014-10-02 15-57-01-82.jpg

I found it on the border of the map where only a mountaineer would go, takes a shitload of time to find it. So dont go searching for it, especially not in the civilized areas. It is better to take different routes across the map and over the mountains until you discover it by chance. After all the map is only so big, so you should discover it after 1, 2 or 4 weeks. This time I chose carefully planned routes, which go cross country and not on tracks, and it payed off.

I had resisted the temptation to enter the entrance and simply marked it on the map, then headed on to Carter Hydro. I have see some people on youtube who on discovered the bunker instantly began looting and were heading out with all the water bottles and stuff. If you think with a cool head, there is not that much inside actually, so if you waste it it's not going to do more than prolong a miserably life for 3 days. I will leave the containers in the bunker alone, the same as I had in the dam. I have also not been to any of the cabins at the Mystery Lake, just the Camp Office. I also left many of the frozen corpses alone. They are supposed to act as a reserve if I should have a problem with my food. Some of it is already decaying although at a much slower pace than the meat.

In my situation I could either sacrifice my entire reserve of cans and my only MRE. Or find firewood in the bunker to get me back on track. Then I could continue on with my routine of harvesting meat with a reserve of wood and food.

So I will eat all energy bars which are below 40%, take a bag of salt crackers as provisions for the journey and head for the bunker for the first time. Then bring back all wood and tinder, which should take me only 1 day.

More later ..

tld 2014-10-02 19-42-38-26.jpg

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

So far I have only explored half of the map and less than half of the containers while I almost reached the point where I can turtle in the Homestead, until someone rescues me ..

Burning Bridges

Yeah, the game is pretty great. I just love the fact that the biggest danger is the weather. The game also has a certain aesthetic that is both charming and utilitarian because you have no problem with reckognising items and elements of environment.

The game can go places if they will really expand the area you can play on, add a lot of interesting places to visit and loot, more dangers to encounters etc. The story mode also seems to be shaping pretty nicely. Definately a game to check if you like survival+exploration in cold, harsh, unforgiving environment.

After 1 week I would say it's fricken amazing and the absolute best thing that has come out of the kickstarter craze. Most games always have something missing but with this alpha, there is only the wish for much more content (the next map) and features (of which crafting is already announced). They have hit the exact right spot with this one. It is pure unfiltered PC-exclusive:incline:

Also has less bugs than most games on release. Even save game compatible with new patches, of which they seem to release 1 in every 3-4 days.

:bounce:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yeah, this one was looking good since the beginning. Also, the dev team is mostly made of AAA veterans with a bunch of games and experience under their belt.

The only bad thing is that it'll be buried under a ton of similar games.

Burning Bridges

14 days, 9hours

I leave in good spirit because I know where the bunker is, I know there is tons of good stuff inside and the weather is also acceptable.

tld 2014-10-02 19-46-42-92.jpg

After a hike of maybe 4 kilometers to the other end of the map, I find the entrance to the holy bunker cache, exactly at the spot that I marked in my map. Including my previous two lifes I spent 30 days looking for it, and now enter it for the first time.
It feels like opening Tutenchamuns tomb ..

tld 2014-10-02 19-51-56-40.jpg

This is what it looks inside. Very dark and unfortunately there is no oven. Otherwise this could make a decent base for someone who likes to live underground like a rat. Well I really don't so I will only spend some hours here.

If it's hard to see, look at it during the night.

There is wood, lots of wood actually! Each of these firelogs is worth 2 hours of fire. I find 5 of those, as well as 4 fir and 2 cedar wood. That's a total worth of 18h firewood. That means I can now continue gathering for many days, with a surplus of wood.

As I had planned, I leave most of the metal lockers unopened. Opened 2 and left the other 5 or 6 intact, including a locked one which gives especially valuable items. Inside I found some cloth and a sewing kit.

I also found some other stuff, tinder and newspaper, some food, some medicine and another lamp.
I did not take all of that with me. I will check my store of matches and medicine and see if I need them.

tld 2014-10-02 19-52-26-81.jpg

There is even a box of ammo. I have 15 bullets now, with 0 used so far. I even saved 1 bullet when I strangled Fluffie.

tld 2014-10-02 19-54-21-12.jpg

I was really hungry and ate a military ration. It was already down to 30% condition, it's no use to keep that stored and let it go waste. One military MRE gives 1750 calories or worth half a day so I need not each much more during this day.

tld 2014-10-02 20-25-52-07.jpg

Before the sun goes down I am back at the homestead. Totally exhausted but in very good spirit because I can make a fire whenever I want.

The next day is spent recuperating and boiling water. When I am finally back to 100% condition and have eaten, it's time to make my first kill.

tld 2014-10-02 23-36-41-28.jpg

Careful to drop the deer with the first shot ..

tld 2014-10-02 23-36-45-96.jpg

it's already evening but I got him, and can spend the night cooking.

tld 2014-10-02 23-37-25-65.jpg

I take only 7.5 kilo of meat and leave the rest. Should I take all? Well, in my experience it will rot one way or the other. So I might get more out of what I have, and leave the surplus for the wolves.

tld 2014-10-02 23-38-31-90.jpg

I start cooking right away.

Every pound of meat gives two rations. So all in all, I have 15 rations. Ca 80% is cooked, the rest is eaten raw. That should last at least two days, but probably more than 3 days.

tld 2014-10-02 23-53-24-37.jpg

A look at my rifle, my best friend right now .. I must keep her well maintained.

tld 2014-10-03 00-10-26-70.jpg

For the first time I have time to start harvesting some cloth.

tld 2014-10-03 10-50-08-93.jpg

I also get lots of metal from all extra prybars and can openers, they are only dead weight anyway.

I already have 10 scrap metal, until I can make up my mind which can be ripped apart cloth is more precious.
I have 5 cloth or so, and need at least 10-15.

tld 2014-10-03 11-10-07-46.jpg

I always forage wood in the shack opposite the Trapper's homestead, where it is somewhat warmer.
Right now you can forage at the same spot infinite times, I guess they need to change that in the future.
But since it is possible right now, I take that exploit. That way I am able to make good for the wood I used from the bunker, as well as find 4 tinder plugs.

Tinder is an important resource, for without it you cannot start fires. Some people on youtube mention that they eventually ran out of tinder. But I would say that is a mistake, you can forage them, just have to be outside. It's also a shame when people use newspaper to start fires, when you can harvest 3 tinder plugs from each newspaper.

In the whole game I have used perhaps 10 fires and found at least 6 new tinder plugs from harvesting. Added to the newspapers I have, there are ca 25 tinder left. These would run out in a month or so, but I guess once I have more time to forage wood, and in fine weather I will be able to find enough tinder.

There also should be many many newspapers left in the mystery lake cabins and other places. Matches are a bit more of a concern, I have less than 40 and 2 firestrikers. It seems they cannot be replaced or repaired and unless I find something to light fires indefinitely, matches become an upper limiting factor of my survival.

tld 2014-10-03 12-48-37-09.jpg

we have water

tld 2014-10-03 12-50-42-85.jpg

and my hut is slowly filling with gear

tld 2014-10-03 12-54-12-17.jpg

I also start some repairs on my clothing.

tld 2014-10-03 12-57-32-10.jpg

I repair the best pieces of clothing first, insulated boots and cargo pants.
That way I am able to get a +10C bonus for the first time. More is possible with what I already have, but I would hate to waste more of my precious cloth on something I dont need in the long term. Everything I spent repairing my first boots was already waste, for I threw them away at the dam where I found much better boots. And I don't want that to happen again.

My rule of thumb is that more than two of any clothing becomes kind of useless. One set for cold days, another one that's lighter for when I am at home. I sometimes keep a third piece if it is in very good condition, but everything beyond that will be shred.

tld 2014-10-03 13-22-18-09.jpg

14 days, 9 hours and most things are under control.

I feel much more confident about my survival. Everything is so much easier and relaxed since I have so much wood for emergencies.

In the next days I will search on the map if I can find some better coat, before I waste too much cloth on the ones I have.
I could also use a second toolkit in case the one I have breaks, and sewing kits, you can never have enough of them.
I also could use more kerosine, my supply is rather limited (2.5 litre or so) and if nothing changes one day I will have to live without light. And I need more medicine, I don't know what happens when I run out of antibiotics and painkillers.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

The only bad thing is that it'll be buried under a ton of similar games.

Not really - survival games are 99% zombie or horror games. So far this is the only game I am aware of that caters exclusively for adults. In the survival genre afaik the only game that really grabbed me was State of Decay, and TLD is already much better than State of Decay. It is one of the most rarest things in gaming, a PC exlusive and a totally realistic game.

Well, of course some things are totally out of line at the moment. Especially the food poisonings. I sometimes save scum if fresh meat gives me food poisoning.
Right now eating a freshly cooked meat gives you food poisoning every third time. That's bullshit. In my entire life I had like 2 food poisonings, neither of which I treated with antibiotics, and I still didn't die :) But in the game .. you get food poisoning every other day and if you dont treat it with antibiotics, you will die :lol:
This is of course not right, and I have no reservations to reload each time.
They will definitely need to change that .. If I were to eat rotten meat, that's something else. But I shoot a deer, cook it, eat it right away and get a food poisoning c'mon.
If you remember that you can reload after sleeping, you'll be fine. The alternative is to spend half of the time in the sickbed and inevitably die once you run out of antibiotcs.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Also, food is way too important. I mean you can die if you don't eat for a day. That's not realistic. In survival conditions, water is a much more critical resource.

But I can understand that choice, water wouldn't be a real challenge at all, with that snow all over the place.

Burning Bridges

Well I was thinking the exact same thing about food. After all the human body has a fat reserve, and you could go for weeks while being hungry all the time. It might be simulated in the game for what I know. So far I never died of hunger and always keep my calories at 2000. I have seen other people who let calories run in the red. It stops at -1500 calories, dont know what happens then. I guess it would be realistic if you became more and more encumbered, could only carry a fraction of your load and carry out work much slower. But I agree, it is not realistic that you are dead 1 or 2 days later, you should be able to continue for weeks although with more and more reduced strength, concentration and resistance against disease.

But water is already one of the big problems in the game!! I spend 1 log of firewood and 1,5 hours for every liter of water. That might already be insane for some people.

I would also like to see frostbite simulated as well as getting pneumonia and such. I mean being able to get sick in the game is good, but the current mechanism with the food poisoning is out of line.

But my impression is that the alpha is actually only a huge testing ground for how far people can go with the system and everything will be tuned according to the feedback. I cannot imagine that someone would release such a well balanced game and then not make changes to it, where changes are due.

Burning Bridges

Now that I think about it, instead of letting the player get an unrealistic amount of poisoning from food and water, it would be much better to simulate scurvy and such diseases, and long term factors that cannot and must not be solved with save scumming. You have to get vitamins and the only way is to eat raw meat, and other food like fruit or grain once in a while.
I believe Christopher McCandles died because he got a special disease that comes from too much lean meat. This is exactly what would happen if you eat only meat, you eat and eat and get thinner and thinner.
And if you eat only cooked meat, you will die of course. In ancient Persia people were executed by giving them nothing but cooked meat.

Burning Bridges

Of course, but not in this rate. A healthy person can last without food for 4 weeks and sometimes much more. In the cold, it certainly is less, much less. But you don't go sleeping with a full stomach and die of starvation three days later, at least I cannot imagine that.

It is however important that you need to adapt to the cold first, but that takes a week and most people die during the first week because they panic. It is to a huge part psychological. Some of Napoleons soldiers left Moscow, marched for a month and were still in good spirits when they reached Lituania. But a new division of young recruits coming directly from France, and directly exposed to the cold dissappeared in a week because they died from a sort of shock.

I must read "1812" another time, actually. The effects of cold on the human body and mind have never been studied like on the March from Moscow, as many French doctors and officers made notes how hundreds if not thousands of men were dying from cold.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Interesting LP! Is there any point in here yet, aside from surviving?
As of this moment there is no other point than surviving as long as you can and bragging about it. But the game is still in alpha, and a story mode in which you play a pilot who crash landed and tries to find out what the hell happened. (The cataclysm in this game has something to do with the switching of the magnetic poles). Also, from what I gathered on the forum and in the trailers, there will be other human beings to interact with, but the interactions wont always be friendly.

Burning Bridges

It's a pure sandbox right now. A genuine sandbox where nothing must be unlocked. You can go wherever you want, do whatever you want, right from the start. This may sound like it would create problems yet it works. Only the best systems are entirely free form yet stay challenging - Jagged Alliance 2 was like that. I think the sandbox could remain the main mode for me anyway. I usually dislike stories thought up by other people and want to live my own story. State of Decay was story first and the DLC was the sandbox, because so many people demanded it.

I am a bit undecided about NPCs. Minimal interaction with NPCs could be fantastic, but too much would ruin the game. Imo it should be like the bunker. Once every few weeks there might be an NPC, who can either be your enemy or someone who trades items that you need, unlocks new episodes or brings information. If there would a be a NPC encounter almost every day, it would imo ruin the game.

At the moment what you do has striking similarity to Robinson Crusoe. It is NOT like I am Legend, where the protagonist fights off vampires every night, and is finally overwhelmed by them.
You are left completely alone, build up your new existence from what you find in the ruins. You count how many matches and candy bars you have.
You are suddenly the King of the World. That is what makes Robinson's situation so desirable, if there was not loneliness it would be paradise. Once other people appear loneliness is no longer the main theme and different problems arise with social aspects. Imo Robinson Crusoe went down the shitter when Friday came into the story. From there it went downhill to an ordinary adventure story, with the cheesy rescue at the end.
I think NPCs should only be only the rarest of things, and people who survive the same way as you, but allow you to discover some new and interesting things in their "territory". Like, one area is rich in one resource, and theirs in another.

laclongquan

Arcane
Of course, but not in this rate. A healthy person can last without food for 4 weeks and sometimes much more. In the cold, it certainly is less, much less. But you don't go sleeping with a full stomach and die of starvation three days later, at least I cannot imagine that.

It is however important that you need to adapt to the cold first, but that takes a week and most people die during the first week because they panic. It is to a huge part psychological. Some of Napoleons soldiers left Moscow, marched for a month and were still in good spirits when they reached Lituania. But a new division of young recruits coming directly from France, and directly exposed to the cold dissappeared in a week because they died from a sort of shock.

I must read "1812" another time, actually. The effects of cold on the human body and mind have never been studied like on the March from Moscow, as many French doctors and officers made notes how hundreds if not thousands of men were dying from cold.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17095605
And I quote
Himalayan ordeal
_58606454_himalayas.jpg

In 1992 Australian James Scott was lost for 43 days in the Himalayas during the winter. He sheltered under a rock ledge and survived on melted snow, two chocolate bars and a caterpillar. He was finally able to make his way out into a clearing and was spotted by a helicopter. He says he remained positive that he would be rescued.

That Himalayan adventure is a stone cold bitch. You almost certainly can not find anything to eat on such inhospitable environment. The specialized clothing negate the effect of cold snow on high altitude.

Burning Bridges

Guys, is this like Skyrim?? I'd play this to death but I'll have to wait until I have a desktop PC in a few years.

Do yourself a favor and try it. If our similar taste in the strategy is to go by, you will love this too! Hardware requirements are low to medium. I run it on a 6 year old Core 2 and it runs perfect.
If you turn it way down you should be able to run it on a i3 with a somewhat decent graphics card.

Games like Skyrim would be like this, if they weren't designed by a headless chicken. I dunno, yes in Morrowind I was also turtling in my house and collect gear, so if that is to go by, it is very similar.
It just feel that this is much better balanced and realistic than anything comparable before. Try it! It's only 20 bucks on Steam.
I already said that imo this game is pure genius, although a little repetitive in this early stage.
But polish wise it already blows stuff like Fort Zombie etc out of the water. And hey, it's only alpha.

It's got much of Ja2: the item/wear/weight system, openess and difficulty that grows with your skill.
The base building capabilities of Morrowind, good graphics that become great once you get used to them.
Excellent sound design. Believable weather. And on top of that a new system of its own, basically a calories eating simulator.
If you also consider that this is made by adults, for adults, there isn't a single WTF moment, what could you do wrong?

Burning Bridges

laglongquan, good story. That exactly confirms what we were saying too.

If you haven't, you must read about the Shackleton expedition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Trans-Antarctic_Expedition
After nearly two years in the Antarctic, an 800-miles journey in an open boat, they still had to cross a previously uncharted Alpine ridge, sliding down on their butts the last part because they were getting to the point of total exhaustion, and not a single man was lost out of 28.

Burning Bridges

Strange; but playing also reminds me of Vtm Bloodlines. It's because of the item distribution. There is only 1 or 2 rifles in the game, 15-25 ammo and a few hatchets and knifes. So you won't collect tons of anything. Searching through the Carter Hydro dam for example, I felt exactly like I was playing VtmB. Also the size of the game, the perspective and the balance of stats.

By the way stats develop, but right now they start all at the same level (50). Afaik there is only 2 skills: firemaking and repair. Crafting will certainly follow.

Burning Bridges

17 days, 16 hours

I will not spend time with too many details, because I ran into my first real problem today. More in the next update on repair.

I survived quite comfortably with my stockpiles, and made it to almost 18 days, with ammo, clothes and fire material for months.

During the last days I ..

tld 2014-10-04 00-28-50-73.jpg

.. sprained ankle another time. It takes 2 painkillers every time, I still have enough left but my supply is not endless (15 or so) and I might have to avoid mountains soon if I dont find more.

tld 2014-10-04 00-31-20-07.jpg

.. visited the Camp Office again, to get some more stuff from there.

tld 2014-10-04 00-31-37-59.jpg

.. on the way a wolf almost got me, but I could run away from him. I'm sure that's not the last I saw of him, will call him Fluffy II and probably shoot him.
It certainly helps that I travel light (10-15kg below my limit) and keep my condition/hunger in the green, not like other guys who seem to be at -1500 calories all the time.

tld 2014-10-04 00-40-13-17.jpg

looted some of the remaining corpses I could find. All outside loot is generated at the start of the game, so there is not much point in leaving it unchecked.

tld 2014-10-04 00-40-36-29.jpg

found some more painkillers, that's really what I need

tld 2014-10-04 00-41-49-07.jpg

I searched one of the huts at Mystery Lake, and there was nothing in it except a newspaper. That was a huge dissapointment.

tld 2014-10-04 01-14-16-84.jpg

I also visited Carter Hydro another time and searched a little more. I think I will loot everything next time.

tld 2014-10-04 01-05-18-20.jpg

There is also a place to make a fire hobo-style. You might not wonna miss that, when travelling from the homestread it's a good idea to always collect meat from any carcass you come along and cook when your are at the Hydro dam.

tld 2014-10-04 01-49-05-78.jpg

I looted everything at the Logging camp. There is nothing left besides a few energy bars. I'm not fond of sweets, and it's very bad for your teeth, especially if you don't have a toothbrush and floss.

tld 2014-10-04 05-25-12-87.jpg

Burning Bridges

Now here is where I ran into trouble.

I started making repairs of my rifle which was getting kind of low in condition.

tld 2014-10-04 13-19-58-92.jpg

57% is pretty bad, considering that I have still such a lot of bullets to fire from it.

tld 2014-10-04 13-20-29-37.jpg

it went to 81% but my toolkit was already down to 41% and I have only one.
So I had thought I could repair it, the game makes it look that way it in the UI.

tld 2014-10-02 19-46-42-93.jpg

But then I found out that I cannot repair the toolkit unless I have another toolkit.

That means if I dont find a second one, I will be limited to ca 4 more repairs to my rifle before this one goes out.
This would really suck, because I have ca 20 scrap metal and I want to repair my sewing kit, knife and hatchet too.

So if I cannot repair the toolkit, it limits my the amount of time I can use the sewing kits.
And that in turn limits the amount of time I can repair my clothes (they do wear out even when I store them in containers by the way, that should be changed).

So it sort of a domino effect, without a second toolkit I will break my rifle and be without clothes one day.
Perhaps it is not even important, I still have 20-30 cloth repairs left, and I'm not sure if there is more cloth.

So I decided that I will a) look for another toolkit and b) limit my repairs only to the rifle

I will also look for clothes, painkillers and antibiotics. Matches are limited too but with the amount I already found (over 60) and two firestrikers, I think can go for longer time than I will need. I can make 100 fires or so, probably that would take at least 200 days and I am certainly not going to play that long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom