Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive The Long Dark

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
--

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

SEASON 2

hqdefault.jpg

My name is Dr. Dick Pleasant and I was sent into the region to study geomagneticism.

It sounded like a fantastic assigment. Go to Mystery Lake region and study the upcoming magnetic event from the scenic forestry lookout. You will have all equipment you need and free lodging in the forestry lookout. The plane will deliver you near Coastal Highway. You could take a few days time off before you get up to the lookout, enjoy the unique athmosphere the fishing camp, and visit the famous stripper club.

That was the plan. But then all went very fast.

6cea0a6dca6f84ea914dcb8c03544b1b58b23e54.jpg

It was hardly that the plane had taken off that the storm, or something entirely undescribable, began. Then, everything got out of control. We were suddenly in what must be the most terrible weather ever recorded. I only remember in one moment the pilot said that he was going to ditch the plane somewhere, in the next I was out of the plane, in the cold.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

tld 2015-02-16 12-20-44-96.jpg

I reached the coastal lookout where I was hoping to find radio and instructions. Found the station abandoned and in dissarray.

I'd spent almost three days making it over the lake and the fishing town. No one alive.

Situation not critical at the moment, but difficult to decide on the next action.

No way I will go back to the coast. Animals have become totally hostile to humans. Chased several times by wolfes. Flares keep them at bay but only briefly.

I will make it to the forestry station and try to get help by radio.

If anyone finds this message, wait here. I will try to return in three days, at the latest. I have ammunition and medicine, and some food. Left some in the lookout. Hopefully more at the Lake.

Pleasant

Burning Bridges

tld 2015-02-16 14-30-12-03.jpg

Day 4

I reached the forestry lookout. Radio not working.

Just as in CH. No one alive.

At least they left me a little equipment, a knife and a hatchet and something to eat.

I will wait for the blizzard to pass, then head West, to the Camp Office and the Trappers station. If there is no one alive either, I will head back.

P.S. l found some edible plants. Especially the cat tails appear clean and may be a little nutricious. I think there will be no danger in trying a few of them.

Burning Bridges

hqdefault.jpg

Returned from Lake. Unfortunately my pictures have all been ruined.

I lead a nomadic existence, only carrying what I need. Still somewhat encumbered but I can leave most stuff stored in containers.

Reached Rabbit Cove. I have been able to make copies of the snare that I found in the trappers homestead and it worked quite well. I was able to catch 2 rabbits in one night.

It would be best for my morale if I begin some sort of scientific work soon.

I conducted several experiments with plants. A tea can be made from the red berries, seems to have medical properties. Cat tail heads are perfectly edible and the rest can be used as tinder.

I warm up coffee and food every time I have a fire, it restores fatigue and warmth much more. And I always make more coffee that I can drink cold when I begin to get tired.

Also need to study wolves behavior. What I know is flares drive them away most times. But just lighting a torch did not work very well. I should have thrown the torch or used the rifle right away, for it attacked and injured me.

My next destination will be the Valley behind the mountains, there is supposed to be a radio station and a large farm.

P.S. I discovered a fresh campfire under the bridge near the Hydro Dam, and an old rifle that had not been there some days before. So someone or something must have passed by. I left the rifle and a note. I have one of my own anyway.

Jack Frost

Literate
0.jpg

Woo! Check it out. We found one of these bad boys near a look out tower, good thing too this areas starting to go into deep freeze like the last area.
Jeffrey and I will try get it started and head north, we got a small signal when we did a directional radio scan, maybe there's power? could just be another magnetic storm causing things to light up, either way the signal wasnt in the direction of the last storm.
Besides, what else do we have going for us. ADVENTURE! I'll have to ditch my gear, not that i have much left, Jeff aggress.
See you in an hour or two.

Jack Frost

Literate
0.jpg

Jeff is exstatic, I am too, it took less time than we expected, to start it up, nothing was broken and there was fuel in the watch tower, we didnt see any tracks or find any bodies, so jeff thinks they left another way.
Check out the view! "See ya crap hole!" The small secluded village was empty, but most of the supplies had been taken hadn't seen an animal for months. Jeff refuses to chase anything on four legs.
North we go! Hopefully we can get a better place to live. The real-estate here blows.
We had to leave most of our stuff, we were too heavy the first few attempts to take off, I made a bad joke about leaving Jeff behind, he just stared at me looking really sad.
Dont know how long it'll be till we see another town, but hopefully its soon, so cold!!

Jack Frost

Literate
looking-down-on-clouds-2-s.jpg

This is all i can see for miles.. On a brighter note, i just dropped my compass over the edge..
We are so dead.. Going to try look below the clouds see if theres a town.
See you on the ground journal!

Jack Frost

Literate
DAY - 001 -- Rough Landing

67sdhi.jpg

Where the hell am i?
The storm just died down, but it still looks like hell.
I just had to bail from the plane, Jeff went first but i have no idea where he landed. Those dam clouds!! They were just above a mountain range, and the tail got ripped off.
I cant climb up so i'll make my way down.
rkzcdv.jpg

Holy moley! How did i land here? They didnt call me Joe -the mountain goat- Mann for nothing. Bugger.. thats slippery.
2bunb8.jpg

So does it show how long i've been alone, when i cant tell if this is a frozen corpse or a man being sad?
I collected a knife and two bullets off him.. but no gun.. that worries me.
t6v8dt.jpg

The storm was picking up again but i took a step back to see where i climbed down from, I JUST missed the actual top when landing. I seriously thought it was an endless pit when i landed. so much wind and snow.
I think i saw the top of a house, so maybe i'll climb it the easy way around. No sign of Jeff, I hope hes okay.
1zeu7r.jpg

YES! So cold, and the suns setting. I'm guessing this is my bunk for the night. I'll explore more in the morning.
x5z0b5.jpg

2iseb5v.jpg

o0z5mr.jpg

Raiding the cupboards i found some snacks that should get me through the morning and more matches urgh i have so many matches. I got to find Jeff he's got half of our supplies, I've got most of the medical supplies. I hope he's alright.
10pmw5y.jpg

this was on the bed.. weird place to knit two stags.. But more disturbingly it has a face that made me jump when i saw it draped over the end of the bed. Its dark and im tired.
a29gjl.jpg

Weird, theres evidence of someone living here recently.. this papers dry and slightly warm, warm as in not frozen or damp as most paper is when i find it.. could have been an animal. but i cant feel a draft.
Now im worried about being ambushed during the night.
Night Journal see you in the morning.

Jack Frost

Literate
STILL DAY - 001 -- Sleepless Night

4t8xhw.jpg

I can't sleep. Jeff is still out there. So my only option is to try and find something, so i saw another "island" in this frozen lake, so im betting there's another house on there.
vebq8m.jpg

Wow its so pretty here, you can actually see the stars instead of endless clouds.. wait or is that just snow.. or both.. "JEEEFFFF!!" I cant help trying to call out for him, its a cold night maybe my voice will travel.
Definatly right, found the hut and hurried inside, dam its cold.
1gqckl.jpg

I went through nearly every draw and cupboard and barely found anything, except another latern and this jacket. With the condition my jackets in this could be handy.
2n6ad6d.jpg

Hang on.. is that a prybar? I was just collection some toilet water, i didnt expect someone to have left a prybar BEHIND the toilet. I never shit inside, it better for keping wolfes away by doing it outside. I havent had a problem that needs one but better early than never.
sawqj6.jpg

Urrgh.. shivers down my spine.. I was about to leave when this caught my eye.. why do i suddenly not feel safe. I best leave before i get to worried.
Heading out I got a little turned around as fog rolled in.. i WAS headed for the shoreline, i finally made it, with creepy snarling sounds somewhere close by.
4htfns.jpg

Its so dam cold!! I need to warm up and im finally getting tired. this trailer thing will have to do. i hope it has a bed.
There were many beds, aswel as a few flares these will come in handy. I also keep finding boxes of crackers, i never liked salty things they dry me out. I must find more water.
I tried to explore in the morning but as per the haunting images in the previous house, wolves crept into the logging camp. So i bailed.
f06wsh.jpg

Just checking i wasnt being followed, still no signs of Jeff. I wonder if he landed higher in the mountains.
23kvq13.jpg

That i think is the island i landed on. I think.. that fog turned me around. I hate circling around.. means i might not find Jeff and will always find empty houses. unles i left my self a snack.
2itmw5g.jpg

The crows taunt me. The circle the dead as if to anounce to me my oncoming fate.
I see another bunch of crows over onto the ice.
dcu8ox.jpg

The crows have lead me to the ice and a new set of buildings, I want to check out the body first, incase more wolves show up.
10f9oua.jpg

Perfect this knife seems to be in better condition than the first one i found. Being the third dead frozen person i've found is not a comfort. I dont feel like this knife will protect me.
s1i1au.jpg

I would say its a fishing camp. I'm betting they could fish before it all froze over. The sun is setting i should really find a bed before dart.
2v0ixwy.jpg

Oh really? I have a tool for that.
drc7sj.jpg

SON OF A!! Who locks an empty locker? Its not like it had anything in it. I find it odd the doors to the houses arent locked, but mybe thats why the lockers locked, coz they cant lock their doors? It would be better if it was rusted shut.
Gotta keep searching.
2vb34fn.jpg

Urgh. so looked through every shack here, and found a few bits of food about near they expirary date, the deer meat i harvisted its actually starting to smell, i havent even had the materials to start a fire yet.
2yoakc9.jpg

2ags2kl.jpg

I had to put a light on.. something made a horrifying noise outside.. and it was NOT the wind. It did NOT sound like a wolf or animal i've ever heard. i have to try finish sleeping..
I'll close the curtians and move the draws infront of the door.. I hate learning new stuff in these new places. There's nowhere safe.
Tomorrow i will continue down the road.

Jack Frost

Literate
DAY - 002 -- Sulfur Morning.
23jfl0m.jpg

The rest of my sleep was restless. Every little creek and click kept waking me up, th wind howling past wasnt a bother until it tried to pull the roof off. Some of these buildings are so damaged from the frost its almost not worth staying in them.
The morning is bitter cold, but i should move while its clear. I hope Jeff was safe, its was pretty rough night.
2djuiyv.jpg

Along the road i cross a bridge, to find a car. Cars are good, most times they actually have things in them, and even better stuff if the boot is locked. I'm tempted to o somethign with the battery from a car, but i dont have the ability to rig up a radio or anything with eletrical thingy-ma-jigs. The car contains an already damaged boot, a few grain based bars, and a flare, one day i hope to pull down a shade and have keys fall on my head, I leave them down as an indicator i've searched the car, nice and easy to see from a distance. ONWARDS!
2mqlrvl.jpg

Dam.. Okay this means i have to try climb it, but the current blockade is too steep and slippery, theres some slopes away from the lake i might try climbing to get around. Im not trying the ice, its dangerious enough without the risk of drowning/freezing..
kd1phj.jpg

DAMMIT! this sucks, its even colder hp here and its started snowing. am i in a valley or something? because there was no way around just more rocks. I lost my way down and ended up here overlooking the bridge i crossed..
Back towards the fishing village i guess. If i dont freeze first.
1624d5e.jpg

I had a pitstop at the fishing hut to snack and warm up, then decided to ditch my bad meat to distract the new pack of wolves that moved into the fishing camp. It seems to work, makes me wonder if i put a trap down they'd fall for it.
My next decision was to go accross the lake, when i encountered this marvel of ice structures. On this angle you cant even see the blade of ice holding this thing in the air.
2zrdobl.jpg

Okay screw the island i need food, time to insanely chase a deer and hope it trips and kills its self. This means chasing it to the nearest place to warm up.
Failure.. of coarse deers are mor enimble and agile than i am on ice. I slipped flat on my face as i tried to jump the logs. Still snowing. I cant tell if its night yet, but i can still see so thats good.
I take time to defrost and then head the other direction on the road.
k4a1dl.jpg

bugger.. it'd be just my luck that the place that generates power for the area would have an eletro magnetic mini storm and make all these wires dangerous. Lets not assume the worst. This should be easier to pass than the last barricade.
qpo5ds.jpg

SWEET! Waiting for me on the other side is a cute little red sedan with a locked boot. Gold! With beef jerky under the break peddle, the wool knitted scarf is a merical! I tried to make a scarf from scraps of cloth before, it wasnt good..
My beanie was such good material, but then i found a tourge, and the material is so good, I'm glad to have a scarf made from simular material now.
juzd09.jpg

I see another car, maybe a building near it, you can tell from the clearing of snow near the side of the road. Jeff im gonna find you! stay warm friend!
se0ego.jpg

GRRRAAHHH!!! *heavy breathing* god dammit!! Dam demonds from hell!! the hell did he come from?!
I used a bandage but im hesitant to douse it in anticeptic, because this stuff SUCKS! blood everywhere.
dceezq.jpg

So woozy.. i need to sleep, more ripped up paper and a lanteren now, is it a message? an arrow? i cant think..
27xqfxl.jpg

Its still day.. but i need sleep, i took some painkillers and hope its not a problem in a few hours.

I've woken up.. its still night. The cold is biting at my wound, but at least i feel better. I wish i could brew some tea but lighting a fire would mean suffocating.
Must rest a little longer.
6ib57q.jpg

Jeff?
1z4vmkj.jpg

Its an hour before morning break, the sound of wolves is everywhere, my legs hurts but i made a dash to the next building. It seems to be a shed? Garage? I had a nightmare of going back out into the dark to get killed my wolves.
Not a walk in the park. I think today i'll rest and repair stuff if i find a sewing kit.
2wmqltw.jpg

Spent the day fixing stuff after finding a kit in the tool boxes. From the tour this place is a garage/convience store? anyway that means snacks a toilet full of water and a work bench. I hear the wolves outside, and as i took a look i think i saw a bear.. WTH IS A BEAR DOING HERE?!? My leg hurts enough writing, time for bed. See you on Day three journal.

Jack Frost

Literate
INFORMATION;
Okay I read this play through? the other night, and i found it quite entertaining compaired to some video playthroughs i've seen. I enjoy the Role Play of the character you're playing, it makes playing a sandbox definatly more entertaining for the people watching/reading.
I started my "The Long Dark" adventure after starting somewhere mid "season one" on Burning Bridges snow adventure, reading through to season two, i realised the date of the last post was much longer than the previous gaps. So i started my own, thinking this thread was just mainly dedicated to RP of The Long Dark.
If i have to I'l haul it to my own thread aslong as the posts arent deleted before i can copy them. But for now I'll leave them be, the adventure continues.

Last edited:

Jack Frost

Literate
DAY - 003 -- Barely able. (due to delays because of other people i will be playing this session the night i post it.)
2v2e5na.jpg

I spent the day tearing up old clothing and tending to my wolf bites.The bear continues to scratch at my doors and walls. My current shelter is mostly metal so ever scrape is terrifying and extra loud.

34pj728.jpg

I decide to unload stuff i dont need, and explore the other buildings i thnk i saw. The winds dying down and its nice and bright, i sould be able to sneak around those animals wandering around.

2w3cbow.jpg

I was startled by a sudden light change. im now in pitch black, i think the bear found the window.. I cant hear anything.. and i cant find where i put the latern.
2rh2rza.jpg

Jeff?! Is that you? Oh SHI...
bhgfq.jpg

That..was not jeff. That is the bear.. I jumped into the closest thing i could see. The next terrifying thing would be if it noticed me in here and attacked the car. I shall name him.. bollocks.. any suggestions voices in my head?
The only things that come to mind are "death" and "entrails" im not exactly in the right mind set for names.

Jack Frost

Literate
DAY - 003-2 -- Barely able.
I was able to sprint past the bear but then had to jump into another car... so doomed..
14y1y0g.jpg

*sweats* this is not helpful.. i am trapped. the bear wanderes off and wolves show up. COME BACK BEAR! at least there was only one of him.. her? it? I wish i knew how to attack with a knife, i'd show that wolf a thing or two.
I'm gonna try run to that building i saw with the frozen flag.
2lc2y34.jpg

Wow those wolves are fast. phew, made it. finally warmth. Had to use a flare sadly, didnt want to get chomped again my leg is still killing me. Lets see what we have.
Oh i found a dead wolf. i asume the bear got it due to the giant gaping holes along its sides. Dragged 2kg of meat from it and 1 hide, was worried i'd get attacked but that didnt happen till i went for the house.
23viwyw.jpg

heh.. I wonder if this would work is these cold tempretures. Going to put the wolf meat in the freezer and see how it keeps. my last meat went rotten before i could even start a fire. Lets do a sweep of the house.
2vi1q9f.jpg

Uh huh.. I thought it was a sweater till i couldnt find the head hole.
algaqv.jpg

I desprately need these.. I hope they havent gotten damp from being exposed to the light and cold.
There's not much else in the house the usual newspapers, scooped the toilet water out, a can of tuna some tomato soup yea slim pickings.
I'm hungry. So i better snack up before i get moving to the next location.
2j1juxe.jpg

Oh god now *burp* kill me.. make it stop! ... DO NOT EAT THE TUNA!! I have nothing for this. If only i could have found some mushrooms for mushroom tea. I used the last of my antibiotics for that stupid leg wou/// urg.. *burp* fuck..
I dont want to live any more this is the worst.. gotta.. get home..
200qp93.jpg

not good.. Making some herbal tea. its all i have, im hoping it'll settle my stomach enough for me to sleep.. so tired.
bgtj43.jpg

I'm not looking good.. gonna.. pass out. XX journal. Dont forget to set an alarm for work journal. You know what happens when you;re lat for work... pages go missing. I'm going to set you down by this nice warm fire. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed llamas eat your face. Tell Jeff he's in big trouble coz sanwiches dont make themselves.. ...zzZZZZzz..

Jack Frost

Literate
Bears? Wow, I think it's time to reinstall.
Yea loads of new animals soon. Havent taken one on yet, they make terrifying noises in the dark. I would expect im dead without a gun.
I recommend loading up the Unity 5 test release, its actually REALLY good otimisation wise..

On a bit of a note before i started this story thing, i was in mysterey lake and never saw a bear. so the highway level is recommended for bears. I wonder if pleasent valley is accesable from the costal road some how.

Last edited:

Jack Frost

Literate
Jedi Exile good job! How many bullets? Have you tried trapping them yet?

STATUS UPDATE
----------
Okay appoligies to everyone i've been sick since just after my last post, still a bit too groggy to play games where i have to spin the camera around. So woozy.
I'll work on some more story and then get back to shots and giggles when i can torllerate 1st person games.
----------
Moreinfo on being sick;
Caught a slight cold before last posts, thought it was nothing but has become a full blown respatory infection, I later was lucky to get food poisoning from some pizza i ordered.
That causes annoying dashes to the bathroom from my computer every few mins/seconds, dashes that include disorientation, and weak motor function.
The worst few days i spent in the bathroom playing an old DS game i hadn't plaied in years due to my lack luster enthusiasum with portable systems, and their expensive games.
The game was "CONTACT" a weird retro style weird adventure.
contact-ds.jpg
s1c662bb1df72c1ed9d2abc8f2b75944b.jpg
I never did "FINISH" it, I forgto how complex it was.
so yea. spent the last week playing this on and off, sleeping, and shitting myself. Oh and several long hours of coughing up globs of burning hatred for people who smake on public transport and enable you to get lung infections easilly, into the toilet..
I keep hearing that phrase the character in THE LONG DARK says when he/she gets food poisioning.

Burning Bridges

On a bit of a note before i started this story thing, i was in mysterey lake and never saw a bear. so the highway level is recommended for bears. I wonder if pleasent valley is accesable from the costal road some how.

Afaik there are bears on all maps now. Not sure about CH but the other maps should all have them.

Trapping bears, wolves or deer is not possible, only rabbits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom