Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's see Elemental: Fallen Enchantress beta

Which faction should I play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
With the original being the bitter disappointment that it was I nonetheless felt quite hopefull for this 'expansion.' To see what state it is in after all that extra development is disheartening.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I still think there's some hope of salvaging it. Granted, it'd take a lot of work.

Perhaps mods will fix it...

covr

Prophet
Patron
So, Beta 5 has been released some time ago. Are you going to to update this LP?

drexciya

Augur
So, Beta 5 has been released some time ago. Are you going to to update this LP?
I have been playing beta 5 (.852) a bit and it changes quite a lot. In my opinion magic has been nerfed even more and heroes have been made somewhat weaker and monsters somewhat stronger. I guess it takes some time to get into this version for the person who started this LP.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
It looks pretty good graphically. What exactly makes this a bad game? Can anyone explain?

What are the system requirements?

Also, why hasn't anyone been able to duplicate the MoM formula? I mean, it is not a difficult thing to replicate...why can't this game do it?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The full game release is tomorrow (?), I'll try to restart this LP ASAP.

Also, why hasn't anyone been able to duplicate the MoM formula? I mean, it is not a difficult thing to replicate...why can't this game do it?
Why hasn't there been a rightful MoM successor? I have no idea. For one thing, in contrast to space 4Xs, there hasn't been a lot of fantasy sims made. I don't know if sci-fi looked more interesting to devs, or maybe the Heroes of Might & Magic took the whole space. We have what, Age of Wonders (which I still cannot get into)? Anything else till now? Warlock is a nice little game, but the scope and ambition was never large enough.
As for why Elemental failed and ultimately FE will too, there are several reasons. One is balance. MoM was ridiculously imbalanced in some areas (halflings vs. klackons, 11 books, etc.), but the overall flow of the game was done right. You had to start slowly, creep until you could afford a hero, and only then expand on a larger scale. Stardock devs want to balance everything, but somehow they can't do the most important thing: the very first two guys you get can easily win you the whole game. You don't even have to build up an empire. Maybe it changed in the latest build, maybe it will change in retail. I hope.
Then there's completely botched magic system, with far too few spells and bad mechanics (no research, heroes get spells on level-ups; spell power depends on number of shards you control not magic skills of the caster; no casting time, you can spend 2000 mana in one turn).
Combat doesn't feel as good too (I really like the MoM system).
Factions are boring.
And a lot issues more. We'll see in two days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gah, I hope it turns out okay. Got my hopes up for this one.

Modron

Arcane
Gah, I hope it turns out okay. Got my hopes up for this one.

Haven't the last nine years of videogame development taught you better than to have hope by now? Kickstarter doesn't count its as much a bubble as the last golden era of pc gaming.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
:salute:
Anyway, I will non-remove and test it myself, still hoping for something at least half-decent.

drexciya

Augur
So this is supposed to be out today evening and yes, that was a suggestion:rpgcodex:
I downloaded it, installed, turned it on, started a game, noticed that nothing has changed, was disgusted and turned it off.
I'll try some more. But don't expect miracles.
I've been playing the released version now and things have changed significantly, IMHO. Initially your champions/heroes are not that invulnerable anymore. Even formerly wimpy opponents can be lethal. For instance the Darkling Shaman has been granted a number of very nasty spells, which makes it an opponent to be reckoned with initially. I used to just "auto" those opponents but that will get your champion killed. Also, monster stacks become "better" with time. They've become somewhat more aggressive as well, sending out units more frequently.

In the tactical side of things there's a significant change as well. If you go tanking and have some archer units at the back or some other weak unit, they will go after your weak units as well. So you have to take care preserving your weaker units.

The only thing that really annoys me so far is that the AI can still build cities or outposts very close to monster lairs without getting their proper punishment. Now I don't known whether certain things change depending on the settings; I've been playing on challenging (both in general and the AI opponents).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom