Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Wizardry 4: Return of Werdna

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
The summonable monsters at the 3rd level pentagram
w35.jpg

My stat at 3rd level
w36.jpg

I am killing the Arcturus's Avegers team
w37.jpg

I am slaughtering the other group, unfortunately the boss thief has stolen something and has run off so you can't see him
w38.jpg

Binary

Liturgist
Hmmmmm number crunching RPGs... yummy

Few questions for you:

1) Are you doing any kind of save management (copy/paste etc)?

2) Are you following any map/faq/whatever?

3) Any particular configuration you needed to do on DOSBox?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Um, could you explain the game a bit as you go along? I don't get much, having never played it. But I'm very interested! You could perhaps explain the mechanics, your choices, and why the game is so hard.

Binary

Liturgist
sqeecoo said:
Um, could you explain the game a bit as you go along? I don't get much, having never played it. But I'm very interested! You could perhaps explain the mechanics, your choices, and why the game is so hard.

Werdna was an evil wizard defeated in Wizardry 1. In Wizardry 4, you play Werdna, starting from the bottom of the dungeon, all they way up to get his amulet back. On the way he fights hordes of heroes.

The game is a 3d mostly b&w game dungeon crawler, in which party members are monsters and enemies are heroes!

The game is hard... because puzzles and combat are hard :)

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
The game is hard because I can't see farther than my nose :)

The game hardest feature (so far) for me that I cannot save. I can only quit&save.
When you load the game the level resets so you have to fight again the wandering good parties.

There are 2 six-member strong parties and a lots of small (1-2-3 members).
Fortunately sometimes a member of the big parties go alone and I can kill him. Later the party find the body and want to carry it to the temple to resurrect :) so I have to fight only 5 man + 1 dead.

Anyway if I kill every good enemy of the level I can wandering on that level freely, only Trebor's ghost can kill me. But the ghost kill me immediately so fast as I can't make a screenshot.

I have never used the 'run' option in battle playing Wiz6+Wiz7, but here I am getting used to do it.

I save only at the beginning of a new level or at a pentagram.

In the game there are 8 save slot, it's enough for me so far.

There is no need for special Dosbox tuning, I can set the delay in the game and I am using the space key for speeding up messages.

I have already played the first 2 level in the past so that was easier.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
theverybigslayer said:
Binary said:
I predict this "let's play" thread will have the shortest TTL ever. ;)

Why? I don't play in ironman mode.

You should make it more interesting by running a death count at least.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Elwro said:
What's with the zillions of keys?
The 'zillions of keys' is not and exact number because if I map out the minefield with 1 million keystrokes and I die eventually, after the load game I go through the now mapped out minefield with 50 keystrokes and this 50 keys will be seen on the character status.

From now I will count my deaths :)

sqeecoo

Arcane
Ok, thanks for the explanations! One more thing you could do (if you care to :)) is explain what's happening in a particular screenshot- for instance what the invisible minefield entails, how you pick which creatures to summon, how a battle goes, why a particular battle is hard etc.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whoa, that's a limit of keystrokes? :shock: I thougth that maybe you start with a huge number of keys and use them up while passing through doors.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
A quick FYI for dosbox. You can do CTL-F5 to take a screenshot; this will give you the game screen, without the extra Windows title bar and such on it. In the dosbox.conf file, you specify the output folder for the screenshots, and they get saved/named automatically. (You can then go back and view/rename them all later.)

Nice thread so far. I was also wondering about the 900,000+ "keys" in Werdna's stat screen. Hax!

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I've managed to cut across the minefield and I here I can see the entry of the 4th level in the ceiling :) I don't know what I have forgotten.
w39.jpg

But before the 4th level I have to kill this frog ninja.
w310.jpg

I found the black box on the body of the ninja! I can put 20 item into the black box and equipping the box the thiefs can't steal it! Great!
w41.jpg

And here is the pentagram of the 4th level. I always summon priests. They very important because of the light spell (to see hidden doors) and of the healing. Once on the minefield I had only 4 h.p., I could go nowhere because of the surrounding mines. I had to wait for a combat and in combat the priests healed me.
I like summoning mages (witchs etc.), paralyzing monsters (ashers) and drain level monsters like mummies. Now I don't know which monster what to do so I have to try out.
w40.jpg

My stats on level 4.
w42.jpg

This may be foggy weather. It would look better on my Radeon card but I didn't switch on the 3D option in the menu :)
w43.jpg

One of the adventure parties on level 4.
w44.jpg

I think I am going to die :( Anyway on this level a mage had cast a Makanito(Deadly Air), I and my party were suffocated. And we are on level 4!
w45.jpg

I go back to the lower levels, now I stronger and I have a stronger party, that levels will be easier. On the minefield I found this
w46.jpg

I jumped in!
w47.jpg

I found the witching rod!
w48.jpg

Using the witching rod I can locate someone.
w49.jpg

Oooops! In wizardry 4 the rod knows about the Dark Savant!
w410.jpg

I went back to level 2, now I could kill the tower guards and I found a stone
w411.jpg

I went to the hellpuppy again, killed it and I found the Hell itself! I think I will bribe myself into. Werdna, the ultimate evil will be king in hell!
w412.jpg

WTF?
w413.jpg

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Do you think I have to equip this **USE ME** Cape?
w41-1.png

Of course don't, it's cursed. I don't know how to remove a cursed item :(
I made this screenshot with the DosBox Ctrl-F5.

Big battle on level4, I won this but during the next encounter with a lonely mage I was killed :(
wiz4_011.png

Death counter: 12

Destroid

Arcane
The previous way you were taking screenshots is a bit easier on the eyes, dosbox seems to muck up the text.

Also, great thread, I have never played a wizardry game!

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I am going to climb onto this ziggurat
wiz4_001.png

Not so easy
wiz4_004.png

Temple of the Dreampainter
wiz4_008.png

I like cokatrices whatever they are!
wiz4_009.png

A new hint from the oracle
wiz4_002.png

Electric mage
wiz4_006.png

Next screenshots will be made by the original method.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Death, again. Death count: 14
w420.jpg

A new oracle's hint. Yes I have met Glum the ninja and I killed him. What secret? I've found only the Black Box there.
w421.jpg

This room is the exit on level4.
When I went to this hole, I couldn't come back! It's for emergency it' sure!
w422.jpg

An altar, I have to use 3 items here but I haven't been able to figure out yet which ones.
w423.jpg

Lol
w424.jpg

This is Level 5!
w425.jpg

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Level 5 Pentagram. Best monster is the wight, it drains 2 levels.I sadly recognize the monsters have an annoying habbit, they like escape from battle and abandon me :(
w51.jpg

Werdna is Level 5 mage
w53.jpg

Battle on the 5th level. This level was the most annoying so far. It was full of spinners. I always had to use the Dumapic spell or an Amulet to locate where I was. And the thiefs always stole my amulets.
w50.jpg

?
w52.jpg

I've just won an incredible hard battle and immediately after that I was attacked again
w54.jpg

The other full party on this level, You can see Blackstone is here again.
w55.jpg

Oracle's hint. Will ever somebody decrypt these? Qabalah-blah-blah!
w56.jpg

Hmmmm. Oracle's hint.
w57.jpg

I know, every temple holds.
w58.jpg

But there is no Jump spell and I do not know which key is used to jump
w59.jpg

I have to kill this smith to get to level 6.
w510.jpg

This smith had some interesting item.
w511.jpg

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
After the death of smith I was teleported to the 6th level
w60.jpg

Level 6 pentagram. Ghasts are the best. Unfortunately the monsters using direct damage are not so effective. The Komodo Dragons breathe fire 3-6 damage only. A fireball spell is better.
w61.jpg

This level was checked light and dark fields and there were a lots of fix encounter like this
w62.jpg

Werdna is Level 6 mage
w63.jpg

So I have to find a rabbit
w64.jpg

Yes we were in temple of the dreampainter,that was the ziggurat.
w65.jpg

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Level 7! Watch your step he-he. The walls are moving on this level :o
w70.jpg

Level 7 pentagram
w71.jpg

Werdna is level 7 mage!
w72.jpg

And here is my FULL spellbook. Tiltowait spell = Nuclear Blast! I can't wait to use it!
w73.jpg

Oracle's hint
w74.jpg

I met a witch. Unbeliveable, there is an NPC in this game. Yes, I am enjoying my travel :)
w75.jpg

Witch said
w76.jpg

I have 3 things , but which ones? Tannic Acid=Witching rod because I found it an acid pool. Everything has more names. I found a furred hat, in the inventory it's name is magician hat and witch says rabbit's fur. FeS2=pyrite, that's iron sulfide in chemistry
w77.jpg

Damned moving walls! Feck off!
w78.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom