Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

laclongquan

Arcane
If we rely on meat to cover our stuffs and feed that to Caecilian, I think explosive is better.

Napalm burn, so its location on the bottom of the pit wont lend itself to efficient combustion. Hidden on the wall in strategic locations to ensure fire in the tunnels, yes, but not there.

Set a main C4 block from there, but 3-4 cannister of flammable fuels on the ceiling of the tunnels to ensure clean sweep.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Napalm won't work since the cavern is so big (how big?), as you would need lots and lots of it - we're talking several dozens of litres, possibly more and that's going to be hard to conceal.

No, what we want is white phosphorous, available at the nearest Royal Army depot. That shit burns longer and hotter in smaller concentrations so we don't need quite as much - though still WP alone would require too much. So better to get some torpex too - available at the nearest Royal Navy depot. The powdered aluminium in torpex is enough to ignite WP by itself - so what we need is to dig a dozen tiny holes into the cliff, pack the drill-holes with torpex, place WP-powder on top and then cover them with the rock dust that drilling the holes dug up.

Place electric fuses into them, detonate by a remote, though it has to be fairly close since it's underground. Maybe relays of some sort?

The resulting explosion would shatter the cliff, ignite everything above the cliff (like a standing Sculptor) with stuff that is impossible to put out and we can watch through camera how a bunch of burning Sabbat plummet into the abomination down below.

We're talking about 50-100 grams of torpex and 50 grams (tops) of WP in each hole - they are tiny, easy to conceal, hard to spot and fairly quick to make. A skilled demolitions engineer could drill the holes and set-up the charges in one or two hours, depending on the size of the cliff and how many holes we need. And what's best, it's extremely stable combination - no amount of stomping/jumping would set it off and since torpex is now considered obsolete (and WP so common), it should not be too much of a fuss to get the small amounts needed through our Kine contacts.

Esquilax

Arcane
Excellent plan, GarfunkeL. While we're calling Humphrey for the torpex + white phosphorous, it would also be wise to ask whether he's managed to match that phone number of Dubrik's we gave him to an address. After this is over, him and du Marchais are next.

A quick Google search revealed that torpex was used in WWII - perhaps Anthony will have the know-how to set it? Hey, he may not have actually fought, but he got the same training as everybody else.

One last order of business: how do we get Donnie to distract the Sculptor's people long enough so that he can head to the nearby bolthole and vaporize everyone? I think this is the only weak link we have. I think this would be a clever way of going about this: we will have surveillance, so we'll know when the Sabbat enter the cave.*

Once our cameras have the Sabbat on location, we give a call to the Sheriff and signal her to head outside the cave with a few of her trusted soldiers. Under no circumstances are they to enter the cave and engage the Sabbat - they'll just stay put. Meanwhile, as Donnie is inside the cave with the Sculptor and no doubt under the watchful eyes of some Templars, they'll hear something on the outside. Donnie will tell them that it must be the Sheriff's people, and that someone must have seen them coming in.

Tensions will run high, but Don will have the answer: He will convince the Sabbat to allow him to leave the cave when he offers to "give himself up" to the Camarilla by surrendering, begging for his life, and telling the Camarilla that there are Sabbat inside the cave. He'll tell the Sculptor that this will be a ruse in order to draw the Sheriff's people in to get eaten by the Caecilian. Because he won't see the explosives we've placed and our lies have been so convincing, I am betting that the Sculptor will be so invested into the con, that he will let Don go. After all, Angelos just got a new toy and he will be extremely eager to use it against the enemy - he'll love to see what this thing is capable of. At that point, all Jamieson has to do is waltz out of there, head into the bolthole, and vaporize everyone.

On the off-chance things go south with this plan, the Sheriff can detonate the payload. This plan would require no relays, btw, since the detonator would be close by.

* EDIT: I just had a thought. Since it looks like these explosives will kill pretty much anything in the cave, why not just get a powerful microphone instead of a surveillance camera? It's far less conspicuous and will be just as useful. We don't actually need to see where the Sabbat are in the cave, we just need to know that they're there, so a microphone will suffice.

Give Schiller an earpiece as well so that she can hear what's going on in there, and so that she knows to detonate the payload if Jamieson's attempts to convince the Sabbat are going sour. Our audio quality will be shit since we're above ground, but we just need to catch a few words to know that our target is there.

laclongquan

Arcane
As for how Donnie get out of the trap, I think we can safely leave that in his very capable hands.

Microphone will be cheaper and easier, true, but we may need to know where the most important target is, and the confirmation of his death. Sounds dont give good assurance as camera.

Esquilax

Arcane
Good point. We can't apply the same logic to Donnie's wacky Malk head that we would to another Kindred. If this were a vampire that belonged to another clan, it would be a good plan, but Donnie will probably cook something up that's very creative beforehand, I'm sure.

The plan stays as is.

EDIT: Just one more thing - AFAIK, the Prince is the only person who may call a Blood Hunt, correct? If so, I don't like lying to him so that he calls it. He might feel like we're making a fool of him when we eventually reveal that we're alive. I want this thing to end in such a way that both Kirkbeck and Eames see us as an important asset that neither of them can completely control.

EDIT #2: On second thought, I'd still like to try the option I mentioned. But we've already discussed things to death and grotsnik will probably be updating anyways, so no biggie. Donnie will probably have a trick up his sleeve to get away from the Sabbat and set off the bombs. Er... I sure fucking hope he does, at least.

laclongquan

Arcane
Erika will keep him updated. Just tell her of our confidence in her decision to how best keep him informed and leave that to her. That way we dont have to deal directly and therefore avoid showing our irrevence toward His Highness, hohoho. And score more points in Erika's book is not too shabby, either.

THAT also wont irk Eames too much about his involvement. BUT it ensure that she wont gather the lion share of the credit generated from this operation.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Ventrue stands alone for he pride on his knowledge, his wit, his mind. The Ventrue gathers Kindreds around him like a party animal yet in his heart of heart he's close to no one, for he know at the end of night he can only rely on himself. To kill a Ventrue you most often have to go through his horde but even while keeping your weapon trained on him never forget his most dangerous weapon is his mind and his tongue.

grotsnik

Arcane
I did have to nix the idea of the Patrician planting the explosives, cool and character-developing though it would have been. As Garfunkel noted, you'd want the demolitions expert to be the one doing it.

Chapter 14 - Preparation's Everything

“A white Ford Fiesta,” Humphrey says. He sounds tired; almost resigned. “Licence plate – BD51SMR. The boot’s locked, but if I know your people, that won’t give them any trouble. Cavendish Square car park, on the second level. There aren’t any cameras. Everything you requested is there.”

“You’re a good man, Humphrey,” you tell him.

He simply sighs.

“Can I tell you something, Patrician?” he asks, after a moment.

You wait, patiently, for him to put his thoughts into words.

“There was a time,” he murmurs, “when your world had allure to me. When I thrilled at the thought of another world beneath our own...a power only I had any idea existed. But now...now I find myself awake every night, turning, worrying – what deal with the devil has been made here? I sweat beneath the covers, thinking I’m going to open my eyes and find one of you things standing over the bed. And my wife strokes my forehead and whispers in sympathy about the pressures of power. She doesn’t know my guilt. She can’t understand…whatever foul deeds you get up to in the darkness.”

“We need the materials you acquired for us,” you say, soothingly, “to stop innocent people like your wife from learning about us. The deaths in Millbank? The explosion-”

“Yes, yes,” he replies, but he doesn’t seem convinced. “I’m sure you know what you’re doing. I’m sure you’ll do what’s necessary to maintain your…masquerade. Good night, Patrician. I’m a little tired. That’s all.”

“White phosphorus,” the Nosferatu says. With the slightest of grunts, she lifts the crate down from the boot of the car. “More than we’ll need. Got the rest of my tools and the electric charges in there too. And that stuff in the boxes? That’s torpex. Kine military always said it was too expensive to use.” She grins at you. A scabby, half-stitched smile. “You got some contacts, boss.”

“Simone,” Eames drawls, “Simone, dearest, how long do you think you’ll need? Just a rough estimate?”

She sits, comfortably, sprawled out across the tarmac, fiddling with a pair of antiquated-looking wellies.

Simone shrugs.

“With all these gizmos?” she says. “Ehhh, gimme an hour. Maybe longer. Depends on the quality of the rock down there.”

“Simone’s a trooper,” Eames says, proudly. “Not that I really…care for explosives myself, of course. But there’s an artistry to it – isn’t there, darling? The alchemical process, the care and the caution of combining each ingredient, of applying that final spark…”

Fellowes emerges from the car, grinning. He carries, strapped to his back, what appears to be an old Ack Pack flamethrower, lifting the barrel with unmistakeably boyish enthusiasm.

“Er…” you begin. “There’s no chance of that museum piece exploding and killing us all, is there, Edgar?”
He looks a little sheepish.

“The old toys are the most reliable,” he protests. “Anyway, Jamieson’s got a rucksack full of aerosols and a cigarette lighter. Go tell him we need to be careful, why don’t you?”

“As long as Mr Jamieson understands,” Eames says, “that these are to be used as a last resort only. Otherwise…we use the poles and the meat to keep the worms busy. If Simone’s really in danger, I have a few tricks that won’t leave a trace.”

She stretches out a hand, and flaps it at you. You help her to her feet. As she stands, she clasps hold of your arm, pressing herself into the hollow of your body.

“You can control him, can’t you?” she whispers into your ear. Her gaze remains upon you, steady.

You nod. From somewhere behind you, you can hear Jamieson giggling to himself in delighted anticipation.

It takes you all a little longer, burdened with the explosives – and, worse, the sacks of cow flesh – to reach the caves.

Jamieson and Fellowes spread out across the cavern floor, glancing into the shadows, checking in case any worm has escaped from the pit.

Eames traces her fingers slowly across the faded Ogham runes.

“There’s an old temple just like this one,” she says, “under my chantry in Greenwich. What dark, unknown foundations we build our world upon…”

She breaks off suddenly, and turns, strolling towards the pit edge. Slowly, you follow.

The body-worms wriggle excitedly below. One of them leaps up into the air, as if catching as a fly. The great mother-mass itself remains unmoved by your presence, pulsating slowly to its own private rhythm.

“The Tzimisce,” Eames snorts, disapprovingly. “So much power, so much creative potential…and yet they invent horrors such as these. Oh, this is distressing, darling. What a filthy thing.”

One of the larger worms shifts upwards, slipping up across the backs of the others. The twisted face of Karthik juts out of its neck, sightless and stretched. One of the Ravnos’ empty eye-sockets spreads wide, opening up, sphincter-like, revealing a set of tiny bone-teeth.

Eventually, working with a drill, Simone manages to hook the harness up into the roof of the cave.

“All right,” she says, adjusting the tool-belt around her waist. “If I should be horribly torn apart by these things, think only this of me – at least I’ll die pretty.”

She smiles; but there’s a nervousness in her eyes.

Fellowes hefts a sagging mass of cow-leg, with the smallest of grunts, and tosses it. It falls into the farthest corner of the pit.

Almost immediately, the worms begin to writhe away across the pit-floor, swarming towards the meat.

“Let’s go,” Simone says.

Each hunk of meat lasts roughly fifteen minutes beneath the teeth of the body-worms. Simone works, quickly and calmly, only occasionally raising her voice over the sound of the drill to request someone pass her down one of the charges. Fellowes and Jamieson take turns at the rope, switching over to stand at the pit edge and watch for any stray worms inching towards the Nosferatu.

“Almost done,” Simone says, at last. “We can set up a relay in the – fuck’s sake, watch it!”

A body-worm snaps up out of the darkness, straining towards her leg, balanced against the rock.
Fellowes swings his pole, striking the creature hard in its open mouth. With a wail of pain, it tumbles back down.

“All right,” Simone snaps, after a second. “We’re done here. Lift me back up.”

Jamieson yanks on the rope.

Simone pulls herself up.

“Whew,” she says, patting down her hands. “Take a look, Patrician. See what you think.”

You gaze down into the abyss. The cliff edge looks entirely untouched.

“Perfect,” you tell her.

Fellowes says, as you reach the car,

“Next move, Patrician?”

You consider it.

“Get Wilkinson to Eames’ place,” you tell him. “Give her some time to settle in. Make her feel comfortable, and part of the team.”

“Then what?” he asks.

You smile, to yourself. The moon is high, over the lights of London.

“Then we die, Edgar,” you reply. “Then we die.”

But when will you fake your own death?

A) There’s no time to waste. The longer this sting’s drawn out, the higher the chances of it being discovered, or of Wilkinson overhearing useful information about my other plans. Tomorrow night it is.

B) We wait. Having Wilkinson around is dangerous, but if we want this set-up to be credible, having Jamieson gun me down so soon after she arrives might seem suspicious to Angelos.

Esquilax

Arcane
None of the people that we have involved in this have any conceivable reason of leaking this plan. Let's have a little faith in what we've put together. I also want to get to know Wilkinson a bit better, since we've never seen her so far.

B

laclongquan

Arcane
I hesitate to delay this deception: The longer we leave this simmering, the more chance Sabbat's leadership can discover some clue to this trap: surveillance data of the location, leaks from the Tremere's side, Wilkinson discover some contrasting data...

Considering this:

1- If Wilkinson is a competent spy, she might discover clues, therefore the trap is lost, so we dont want her there long. If Wilkinson is incompetent, why would we want to know her?

2. Considering Eames also: This trap is our baby. her angle has been publicity, not trap. If we let it longer, she might change her mind and do it on her own and nothing we can change that.

And the final argument is: In matter of tactic and action, speed is everything.

In the investigation of Terrance, we gather all clues but we delay half a night to learn combat skill with Eddie. The result is that idiot Du Marchais go to Sheriff and Prince first and set this war in motion.

Considering these three arguments, I hesitate to delay the trap longer. If we let enemy have time they will and can act first with full preparation. hit them fast and furious then set trap just so they react blindlly. Think about it: we hit them with that raid out of nowhere, they counter by killing two ghouls. That's reaction. Now Prince and Tremere will attack with their full reserves, make them react. And we give them this trap. After the poundings of both Kirkberk and Sammy, they dont have spare time to fully investigate this trap.

A is in order

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Esquilax

Arcane
laclongquan said:
I hesitate to delay this deception: The longer we leave this simmering, the more chance Sabbat's leadership can discover some clue to this trap: surveillance data of the location, leaks from the Tremere's side, Wilkinson discover some contrasting data...

A few things I disagree with. First of all, the Sabbat don't even know that this thing even exists, so how could they have surveillance on a location that they aren't even unaware of? The one guy who could have told them is dead now. I don't think that there will be leaks on the Tremere's end - they are paranoid and secretive even compared to other Kindred on account of their Thaumaturgy and blood-bonds, so I'm sure that Eames has any info safely locked down.

laclongquan said:
1- If Wilkinson is a competent spy, she might discover clues, therefore the trap is lost, so we dont want her there long. If Wilkinson is incompetent, why would we want to know her?

2. Considering Eames also: This trap is our baby. her angle has been publicity, not trap. If we let it longer, she might change her mind and do it on her own and nothing we can change that.

And the final argument is: In matter of tactic and action, speed is everything.

In the investigation of Terrance, we gather all clues but we delay half a night to learn combat skill with Eddie. The result is that idiot Du Marchais go to Sheriff and Prince first and set this war in motion.

Considering these three arguments, I hesitate to delay the trap longer. If we let enemy have time they will and can act first with full preparation. hit them fast and furious then set trap just so they react blindlly.

1 - It doesn't matter whether Wilkinson is a competent spy or not, what matters is that Dubrik thinks she is. Considering we were the ones who promoted her, he thinks that this is the case.

2 - Yeah, but Eames got her girl in to set up demolitions (Simone was Eames' contact, right?). It wouldn't make sense for her to use the Caecilian as a publicity angle at this point. Eames has put an actual investment on making a trap, so I don't see why she'd pull a 180 now. Even though I distrust her, I believe that she wants this war to end as much as we do.

Doing things so rashly is not strategic. It's a move predicated solely on fear - we have been carefully piecing this plan together, it doesn't make sense now to start getting all nervous. Just relax and let things take their course.

laclongquan

Arcane
IF Wilkinson is a competent spy she can find out some clues to our trap during the time, which is why we dont need to give her more time. If she's not a competent spy we dont need to know her more which is why we dont need to keep her long. Her competence is of importance this time.

If Eames change tack, all she lost is some efforts of her underling. She doesnt even lost materials. If she do that, however, we lost a great deal.

I dont think it's rashly. I think my three arguments still stand. let's do this thing quick.

Barring new information, I still advocate so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom