Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

ironyuri

I'm still curious about what the thing in the sewers was too. But as they say, brother root, curiosity killed the cat. We don't even know that it would have been more interesting a pathway, which is the beauty of this, I guess. We can speculate though.

I bet it was :M

edit- I've been at work for some hours now and have another two left. I need an update to make this shit go smoother, god damnit. If I don't get one soon I might actually have to do some work...

grotsnik

Arcane
SCO said:
You could have concurrent distinct characters written by different authors (you'd need to setup secret google doc with shared info of the major characters that you'd update with plans/hates/currentoperations so things make sense). They could even be opponents like sabbat and cammie).

But you'd need someone organized and who writes well, and knows vampire inside and out.

Someone like Serious_Business for instance.

This is pretty much megalomania though.

Would be really interesting and probably a lot of fun (and S_B would be perfect for it, I'm sure). Obviously, there are logistical/organisational worries. I'm gonna be monitoring root's similar experiment to see how that works out for him.

ironyuri said:
I'm at work again this afternoon (about 10 hours away, Jesus Christ why did I stay up til 4am playing VtM:B... oh that's right, because it's still fucking spectacular!) so I hope to be reading an update then, otherwise I may be severing my manhood and hurling it at you, grotbro.

I've been playing through Bloodlines again too. Great times. Tho' for some reason, I've been playing less in recent days. Probably because I know the fucking Nosferatu warrens are coming up.

Esquilax said:
Just about the only complaint I have with regards to his characterization so far was at the beginning when we had that conversation with Karthik. He seemed like kind of a whiny little shit at first by reacting so emotionally to Karthik's bullshitting (I would think a real Ventrue negotiator type would have just played it cool and been unfazed by it), but after that, he got much more likable.

Yeah, that wasn't great writing right there.

Rod Rodderson said:
No point in voting now, though. Missed the last round too. I think I'll live.

Sorry, Rod. I'll try a bit harder to make sure you get your vote through before we storm onwards.

Esquilax

Arcane
root said:
it didn't sound like a thing that could kill us outright, if we thought it was too dangerous/unpredictable we could simply let it lie.

on the other hand, if it was a nice vozhd, i vote we name it Rex.

We may still be able to go there. I'll admit, while the prospect of sending a vozhd over to du Marchand's haven to tear him limb from limb, pin it on the Sabbat, and become Baron of Whitehall after the smoke clears is fucking awesome, I doubt it would turn out nearly that well for us.

Anyways, I don't think investing a little in combat is a bad idea at all. We might be on our own at times, and like the saying goes, I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need one and not have it. Obviously, our emphasis is in using our contacts, our charisma, and our diplomacy, but it doesn't hurt to be able to defend either. If the Sheriff's got our back in the next update, we will have turned an enemy into powerful muscle without anybody realizing it.

Esquilax

Arcane
root said:
and then we diablerize her, right?

right, guys?

guys?

:foreveralone:

She's too next-gen popamole vamp. We need to find a proper oldfang Kindred to diablerize. I would suggest Centurion, but uh... good luck with that and all.

ironyuri

@grotsnik

I've just hit downtown, replaying a Malk (have played one before), because I wasn't really enjoying a new game as a Noss or Ventrue. Malks are probably my favourite, possibly because I am, myself, marginally insane. Although my psychiatrist thinks I'm much better now.

Bloodlines looked a bit shitty after having just replayed the Witcher, but I'd say its graphics are comparable with Fallout: New Vegas, if the Source engine's facial animations are a bit plastic/artificial. Now that I'm a few hours in, I've forgotten the graphics and am just enjoying the game again, though it does feel very much a "go here, do this" in much the same way I've done before, thanks to meta-knowledge. Oh well.

Fuck, the atmosphere is superb though. Bloodlines still has it atmosphere wise. I even jumped a few times in the Ocean House Hotel because I'd forgotten about certain lightbulbs blowing out or certain ghost scenes.

We should diablerize karthik, see if he tastes like curry. :M

laclongquan

Arcane
Malkavian is the most well designed route of Bloodlines. Playing it with other kinds make it a great game but playing Bloodlines the first time with Malkavian make an AWESOME game. Fuck save the best for last shit that others keep advise you in doing Bloodlines. Play your very first run with Malkavian and enjoy the batshit insanity excellence.

ironyuri

laclongquan said:
Malkavian is the most well designed route of Bloodlines. Playing it with other kinds make it a great game but playing Bloodlines the first time with Malkavian make an AWESOME game. Fuck save the best for last shit that others keep advise you in doing Bloodlines. Play your very first run with Malkavian and enjoy the batshit insanity excellence.

Heh, that's exactly my problem. Played my first game as a Malkavian, have done Tremere and Brujah since, but this replay is Malkav again. It's just so much more fun, rivalled only by killing enemies with thaumaturgy.

I'm also totally power gaming by selling manuals to get 2 skill boosts out of them, among other things. Gonna meta-game my way to Vampiric satisfaction.

grotsnik

Arcane
Right. First things first; have a crude map of the main game area so far, complete with locations.

vampmap.png

I've also spent this morning 'researching' in the Patrician's uber-fashionable, uber-expensive haunt of Primrose Hill. Grotsnik's pub recommendation = The Queen's. Not because it's any more reasonably priced than every other trendy bar round there (it isn't) or an interesting choice (it's the obvious choice) but it does at least have a little balcony overlooking the park where you can laze about in the sunshine with a nice pint.

zool

Arcane
grotsnik said:
ironyuri said:
I'm at work again this afternoon (about 10 hours away, Jesus Christ why did I stay up til 4am playing VtM:B... oh that's right, because it's still fucking spectacular!) so I hope to be reading an update then, otherwise I may be severing my manhood and hurling it at you, grotbro.

I've been playing through Bloodlines again too. Great times. Tho' for some reason, I've been playing less in recent days. Probably because I know the fucking Nosferatu warrens are coming up.

Actually, I didn't find them that long and boring during my last playthrough. Maybe because this time, I knew that they would actually end at one point. And I love the Nosferatu underground base, although it is a little empty unfortunately.

Oh, and
Rod Rodderson said:
No point in voting now, though. Missed the last round too. I think I'll live.

grotsnik

Arcane
z o o l said:
Actually, I didn't find them that long and boring during my last playthrough. Maybe because this time, I knew that they would actually end at one point. And I love the Nosferatu underground base, although it is a little empty unfortunately.

Knowing just how much further there is to go definitely helps. But I still have that horrible memory of playing it for the first time and having the revelation,

"Hang on...there's going to be an ant-monster around THIS corner as well, isn't there? And THAT corner. And THAT corner..."

Second things second - a bit more about our character.

Anthony Sommers, aka ‘The Patrician’

You never fought.

As a second lieutenant under the Western Desert Air Force, you worked tirelessly at Staff HQ, organising supplies, maintaining the administration of the various fighter squadrons. You were taught how to fire a gun; how to navigate in a Hawker Hurricane. But you never really learnt how to aim, and you never flew anything other than milk runs. The other officers, quietly, but surely, made their opinion known – you were a coward.

You ignored them. Your work was necessary, you told yourself – even vital – to the war effort. Not everyone could strut around acting the hero. You were content to continue doing your part behind the scenes; and besides, there was always Mary Sommers, the smiling, puck-cheeked girl who you married hastily before you joined up with just as much thoughtlessness as romance. And your burgeoning career, mostly thanks to Mary’s father, in Government…

And, although you agonised over it, although you denied it and even, in the middle of the night, stared into your bedroom mirror and called yourself a coward, a failure, not even a man – you were afraid of dying. And as the casualties of the war increased, you became more and more fearful that you would be called upon to start flying combat missions.

You met the girl in Bardia, as Allied forces poured into the town as part of Operation Compass; she was a nurse on the night shift, dealing with the ever-growing number of casualties. Evangeline Turner, she called herself, as you stepped into her ward to take stock of hospital supplies. A pale girl, with the tireless calm of someone far older, her black hair pinned primly back, who gazed at you with – you thought – something like repressed lust. She ran the hospital – overstepping the orders of the drunken, pitiful doctor and his sullen Libyan assistants – with a dazzling efficiency, in spite of the chaos in the town, and, indeed, appeared to get a real kick out of organising the wards.

You visited Evangeline again, in the dry hot nights of Bardia. Slipping your wedding ring from your finger – breathless, shameful, but unable to stay away. But as she dragged you into the relative privacy of the empty doctor’s office, she hissed at you,

“Anthony…you’re afraid of dying. But you don’t have to be. You don’t have to ever die – not if you don’t want to.”

She clasped your hand and told you to come to her when you were ready. That she had a gift for you – a way out, an escape route – but that it came at a price. You could live forever, so long as you were content never to see sunlight again. Confused, and disturbed, you made your excuses, and fled.

The next day, the 9th Armoured Division set out from El Alamein. And corpses flooded the town of Bardia. Men who had been torn to pieces by anti-tank shells; men missing limbs, and heads. Some of them old, some of them young. You sat on the steps below the hospital and watched the bodies come in. A stretcher passed by. A dying boy in uniform, his stomach exposed and gory, snatched hold of your arm.

“I-I’m going to be a fireman,” he whispered.

You gazed into his eyes; you watched as the light faded.

“I-I’m going to be a fireman,” he repeated.

That night, you found Evangeline, and told her you were ready. And so you slipped into a world of darkness.

There were plenty of night-time positions available; as the desert war began to turn against Rommel’s troops, staff were needed on-hand around the clock. When superior officers asked you to put in some day-time hours, you found it remarkably easy to persuade them otherwise. Slowly, you began to care less and less about the fate of the foolish Kine all around you.

After the war, Evangeline left for America; you returned to London, shunning your old friends, and ignoring Mary. When her father, outraged, came to your door late at night, demanding that you do the decent thing and divorce her, you managed to quickly convince him to instead hand over the contact details of several prominent politicians.

Other Kindred in the city were slow to notice you – and those who did recognise your existence often demanded tribute or undying loyalty. You soldiered on, gaining more and more respect amongst the Kine politicians in Whitehall, while your Kindred superiors betrayed one another and squabbled amongst themselves.

The higher you rose, the more unwelcome attention you received. A couple of murder attempts in the 70s, that were swiftly avenged by a young Toreador in your employ by the name of Edgar Fellowes, were followed by a grudging acceptance by several elders. Gradually, common Kindred began to speak of you as ‘the Patrician of Whitehall’. The Gehenna scares around the turn of the Millenium, meanwhile, did their part in establishing you as a genuinely stable power in the centre of the city.

Mary is no longer puck-cheeked, and she’s stopped smiling. Sat in a nursing home in the lush countryside outside the city, she pisses into a catheter and eats mush. You are aware that she’s still alive, but you don’t visit her. Kine are Kine, you tell yourself – though, perhaps, you just don’t want to be reminded of your former life, or the lingering stench of death.

laclongquan

Arcane
Damnit! What a bugger!

The coward thing doesnt bother me. Or the fear of death.

The untidiness of his life do, though. Why the hell didnt he cut ties with Mary? Kine or no Kine she's a loosening factor. You dont show the night society an armor with chinks and the untidiness is a chink.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 8: A Bleeding Heart

The Sheriff shoves the boy away from her with one hand.

“This is fucking private property,” she snarls at him. “Your student loan going to cover that fucking £1000 fine for trespass, dicklicker?”

He takes a step back. His friends simply gape.

“OUT!” the Sheriff screams.

They scatter.

A cramped, empty office on the top floor of the club. The Sheriff pushes you down into the chair. It swivels a little. The suited heavies discreetly exit, closing the door behind them.

“Right,” she hisses. She scrabbles in her pocket, and pulls out a small Blackberry. “Right. What the shitting fuck do you call this?”

You gaze at the tiny, distorted video playing out across the screen. Rannigan’s kidnap.

“I’ve never seen that before,” you tell her, meeting her gaze.

She leans forward across the desk.

“We send two Kindred to figure out what happened to Terence Rannigan,” she says, with exaggerated calm. “One of them comes back straight away and says the Sabbat snatched him up. The other one – the smarter one – doesn’t get in fucking touch but then I get sent an anonymous video where the two boys who showed up dead this morning put Rannigan into one of our own cars. Gee, I dunno, Sheriff, who the fuck could have sent it? Seriously, blueblood, just how thick do you think I am?”

She straightens up and begins to pace furiously across the floor.

“I mean, you know what this is, don’t you?” she snaps. “Causing dissent during wartime. Stirring up trouble against the Prince. This is Final Death, slow death, torn-to-pieces one inch at a time dangerous. And now you’ve implicated me. Fanfuckingtastic.”

“There’s no evidence on that video,” you say, trying to calm her down, “that explicitly implicates the Prince. If he’s responsible for Rannigan’s kidnapping, he can simply shift the blame onto du Marchais – make him the scapegoat. If du Marchais is responsible, we don’t have anything to be concerned about. Either way, the trick will be to ensure that his only recourse is to deal with du Marchais openly, and not to silence us in secret.”

Schiller continues to pace.

“You’re a sly prick,” she mutters.

You let her think.

“Of course the Prince is behind this,” she says, after a moment. “You think du Marchais could have come up with this all by himself? No, this is Kirkbeck’s move.”

“So we go to the barons,” you tell her, leaning forward. “We get enough support to make him stand down. Rannigan – if he’s still alive – is restored, and du Marchais gets the fuck out of my district.”

She snorts.

We,” she snipes, “we. You fucking Ventrue are all the same. You want to topple the Prince over this? Maybe hoping to try the crown on for size yourself? The Camarilla would fall apart within a week. Eames and Turcov and all the rest of them would start scrabbling to get to the top, the Anarchs would charge in yelling about the rights of the proletariat, and the Sabbat would sit up and take motherfucking notice.”

“There’s no need for the Prince to fall,” you tell her. “This can all be done in private, with the greatest of tact. But I’m damned if I’m going to see the Camarilla start a pointless war with the Sabbat just so Kirkbeck can start getting respect from the rest of the elders again.”

“Horseshit,” Schiller replies. “You just want your territory back. You don’t give a fuck about anything else.”

She halts, glancing up at the clock on the office wall.

“I need to get to the raid,” she says. “Like it or not, it’s going ahead tonight. But before you scurry off into a hole somewhere – two things. One, you dragged me into this shit and I won’t fucking forget it. Two, if you go down I won’t stick up for you. Understood?"

“Understood,” you reply.

She straightens her jacket, a little self-consciously.

“You hear anything else,” she says, “you come to me. Once tonight’s over, and I’ve done a little investigating of my own, maybe we can find a way to get to the bottom of this without seeing a sunrise. Maybe.”

“I’m glad,” you tell her, mock-solemnly, with a little bow of your head, “to have your full support in this, Sheriff.”

She gives you a look.

“Fucking motherassfucking Ventrue,” she says, under her breath, and leaves.

You have a breathing space. Some time to plan ahead. (Also, one phone call.) Fellowes will be required to participate in the raid, so you won’t be able to make use of him.

A) Make for the scene of the raid. Something’s going to happen there, and it’s important to be on-hand to watch it for myself. I don’t have to actually get involved, so there shouldn’t be any danger.

B) Make for the scene of the raid. Perhaps it’s time to have a little chat with du Marchais.

C) While the Camarilla busy themselves attacking the Sabbat, I might just take a trip down to Rannigan’s district.

D) Time to check out that secret in the sewers.

E) I’d better head for home. This city may be set alight before the night is over. (Allows you to make three calls instead of one, carries no risk.)

laclongquan

Arcane
Now I want a little think time before vote.

The options to stay the fuck out of this raid are extreme dangerous:

1. You dish Prince before. Actually two nights ago. AWOL this time can be considered to be worthy a Last Sunrise, above board, legal, and no one can complain. Hell, even the Regent of Tremere shown up.

2. Terrance was running with a very dangerous crew, still unknown. Two muscles got dealt very quickly, what chance of us, alone, can stand against that kind of capability.

3. Visit the sewers without backup, namely Edgar himself? I dont know about you but the prospect of being teared in pieces dont appeal. And out of character.

So I am thinking of joining this raid.

Chat with Du Marchais now or just stay slightly apart, out of the melee? Decision, decision.

And dont forget that Edgar know many facts, so he dont even want to participate. Very little chance he will join in the melee. So it's good chance we can join together and stay out of that. Increase safety and chance to observe.

Still, who to call? Not Oscar, surely. He was scared and prolly go deeper into the ground already. Not Dubrik because this huge event cant escape his keen ears. I am thinking...

Whitehall, Mister Home Secretary himself.

He need to know this hullabaloo event are blowing up just so he can arrange coverup. We are still keeping the Masquerades.

Maybe he discover data concerning the mobile number already. We need checking.

Two very good reasons.

grotsnik

Arcane
In fairness, the Prince will almost certainly be too concerned with the raid to worry about whether or not you're present for the moment.

It could quite easily be used against you later on - but for now, at least, your lack of participation is likely to go unnoticed.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Call the Home Secretary, obviously, to gather informations and telling him to cover the raid.

A)There's no real decision here, if we don't join the raid we are dead.

B)Talking to Du Marchais in such a situation means giving him the opportunity of to kill us at his leisure.

C)What for?

D)Visiting the sewers can work only if we are sure to survive down there, unlikely, and find something that could turn the tide in our favor, how we can be sure?

E)Three phone calls what good can do, and to whom?

A)Join the raid and try to maintain contact with Fellowes.

grotsnik

Arcane
laclongquan said:
The prologue scene happened at 16, Southbanks, right? And the destination of tonight raid is around that region right?

Not a Brit so I dont know locations of London for sure?

They're both on the south side of the river, but they're not connected. The raid's gonna be in Deptford, further south, deeper into Sabbat territory.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I was thinking, do we have the number of some hitman that can kill Du Marchais taking advantage of the confusion?

A and phone Home Secretary.

There is no point in talking to du Marchais now - he will gloat, and all we can do is make him suspicious. C is tempting - yes, we badly need more info about Rannigan, but that can wait one night. Probably. D is a death wish. And it's not like we have that many contacts left to call right now to choose E.

We need to be see what is going to happen in the raid. Right now the Camarilla is going to war, and that means us too - I don't think pissing off the prince right now is a smart career move. Du Marchais is probably itching for an excuse to get us killed. In fact, that's a good reason to stay away from him during the raid - accidents can happen. Sometime they even happen conveniently. Maybe try to link up with Fellowes during the raid?

The phone call is for the reasons laclongquan already stated - we need to follow the orders right now and help keep the masquerade intact. If the Secretary has some new info for us, all the better.

Erebus

Arcane
Interesting. Either the Sheriff has wonderful acting skills (always a possibility in VtM, but doesn't seem likely) or she didn't know the truth and is now worried (partly for her own skin). I was worried that she might be supporting the Prince's plot (if that's truly what's going on) out of a belief that a stronger leader would benefit the whole Camarilla, but she's more independent-minded than that (although she's still worried about future stability).

Call Humphrey Trentbridge. Kine Home Secretary make sure the raid is masqueraided :ohyeah: and follow up on dubriks number

D) Time to check out that secret in the sewers. since you dudes wanted sewer secrets for muscle, lets get some sewer secrets for muscle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom