Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
curry said:
Fuck Masquerade, you should play Requiem instead. :decline:

Someone is butthurt about the metaplot :love:

B

Abandoning everything and running now will get us nowhere. Let's stick to the plan - technically we did nothing wrong, and we did cover our asses by sending the video. True, that will not help us if we badly misjudged the sheriff and she is in on the whole thing, but I don't think this is the case. I hope.

Also...

Serious_Business said:
curry said:
Fuck Masquerade, you should play Requiem instead. :decline:

Seriously?

ironyuri

It sounds like we've pissed Oscar off for the moment, hopefully this won't cut him off permanently (considering we'll be rewarding him thoroughly and we still have Fellowes).

But if we do lose Oscar we're going to need to find another information source quickly.

Esquilax

Arcane
ironyuri said:
It sounds like we've pissed Oscar off for the moment, hopefully this won't cut him off permanently (considering we'll be rewarding him thoroughly and we still have Fellowes).

But if we do lose Oscar we're going to need to find another information source quickly.

I'm positive it won't cut him off permanently. He did us a big favour, but Fellowes is still alive and we haven't ratted him out, and that certainly counts for a lot. Let's avoid bugging him too much for now, but I am certain that he will still remain a valuable contact for us, and will be open for working with us.

Anyways, assuming Schiller is bringing us out to kill us, we can still lie through our fucking teeth and have a slim chance of surviving by saying that we have no clue what she's talking about. Plausible deniability and all that.

However, I really doubt that she is planning on executing us. She hates du Marchand, and she has a strong sense of duty to the Camarilla. She is so direct and she dislikes Ventrue in general, probably because of their scheming and power games. A Sheriff's role is to protect the Prince's life and to enforce the traditions, nothing more, so there is a very good chance that she is completely unaware of anything Kirkbeck and du Marchand had in store. Either way, we have to see this through.

laclongquan

Arcane
I feel like a brother of Cassandra. Sheesh! Moments like this you really understand why some fucking smart men over the course of history stick to some other dumb fucks. If we was raped at least it'd have been our fucking faults.

Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk. Let's salvage the situation.

We are here to show support of the Prince's ploy, of course. We stayed silent, but did show our fangs to him and his in shadow, of course.

So it's no use to choose :bro: options for Erika. She's been warned and sworn to silence, accepted the sacrificing of vamps tonight as a strengthening ritual for the good of Camarrila. I really should have calculated this streak of utmost loyalty to a cause can drive vamps like her to some extreme measures. This strategy of us wont impress her now. And foolish display of useless actions will irritate her more.

Stay fucking silent, cunts! Keep your fucking trap shut! If you choose silence on the way, you keep to silence now. Silence when it's important and loudmouth when it's not is the most stupid way to advance I can think of. No one like stupid loudmouth, especially studpid Ventrue loudmouth.

IT's BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

Well, I can think of one silver lightning in this dark cloud cover: At least we protect our source of info AND our life, possibly our career. No way to say for sure, but it's the way winds blow. And that shred of street creds will come into use when we replace Oscar's service, and in Karchick's corner. People in the know know for certain they can trust us.

This wont happen, bros. Its a test of loyalty! Reconsider!
Teamu.jpg

This will happen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aROHDkKjHs

grotsnik

Arcane
Storyfag said:
B, of course. If we die horribly, can we continue to play as someone else? Bishop Dubrik? A Tzimisce Bishop? The Anarch leader? Fellowes?

I've actually been thinking about that kind of set-up. My idea was;

If a character (i.e., our Patrician) dies before the current plot-strand is completed;

A) ASSUMING CONTROL. Play with an existing character (though we'd limit this, i.e. you can't play with the Centurion or other all-powerful characters) and continue with the story from a new perspective. Depending on your character, the plot-strand may continue with minor adjustments, or we skip ahead a few weeks until after the consequences of the plot have died down and start a new plot.

B) A NEW DAWN, A NEW DAY. Play with character chosen from the OP selection, with maybe a couple new of ones added in as well. You'll start some time (not too long) after the old character died, and events that occurred during/were caused by the Patrician chapter will affect you, but you'll have a new story all of your own.

C) DESPAIR. Everyone's sick of the LP. We decide not to stretch it out any further.

If we get to the end of the plot-strand and the character survives, y'all can also vote on 'D' - the same character, facing a new plot-strand (and presumably a new threat).

Sound good?

Since that was a pretty easy/fast choice, I should get the next update written before the weekend's over.

laclongquan

Arcane
A NEW DAWN, A NEW DAY sounds good. That make use of the continuity.

Mind you, I still dont think we will die this night. It actually very much depend on Oscar's skill, of course. But if Prince has had that good a hacker on his payroll he would have discovered the strange issues of Terrance's kidnapping. The old man is too much a fuddy duddy to make use of modern talents.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This cheapens our character's existence, I'm not sure if you should be saying those things. The plot is moving very fast and is a bit extreme in my opinion (Commander Shepperd approves), we don't have much space to plan things and make conscious decisions, and I'm not sure why our lives should be on the line all the time. Death destroys all previous choices we made, so it's kind of lame to just switch characters as quickly as this. What I mean is this - we didn't invest enough into this char to really care about his loss at this point. You'll be seeing some pretty kamikaze shit if you lop off our chars' heads at whim and we can start over just like that. But yes, I understand your point.

However, no one will be sick of the LP :bro:

grotsnik said:
B) A NEW DAWN, A NEW DAY. Play with character chosen from the OP selection, with maybe a couple new of ones added in as well. You'll start some time (not too long) after the old character died, and events that occurred during/were caused by the Patrician chapter will affect you, but you'll have a new story all of your own.
This sounds good to me. I'd like to try a thaumaturgical detective kind of character - several different non-combat paths (blood, technomancy, spirit manipulation, ...) and as many rituals as possible.

But I think our Patrician still has a long road before him (provided he survives the latest turn of events). I like the way he is turning out - loyal to his allies, cool under pressure.

Esquilax

Arcane
A NEW DAWN, A NEW DAY sounds really good. I'd be fine with playing as one of the bros we've accrued, but it just wouldn't feel like our character.

I am so goddamn nervous for this next update. I have no fucking idea what is going to happen. The only option that lets us live for sure is A, and even then, who the fuck knows how long? The only place where we could possibly take refuge would be at the Anarchs. Wow, a Ventrue Anarch - what a strange series of events that would be? But that is not in our nature, we would have to give up the Way of the Monocle, and death is of course better than that. We gotta soldier on.

grotsnik

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
This cheapens our character's existence, I'm not sure if you should be saying those things. The plot is moving very fast and is a bit extreme in my opinion (Commander Shepperd approves), we don't have much space to plan things and make conscious decisions, and I'm not sure why our lives should be on the line all the time. Death destroys all previous choices we made, so it's kind of lame to just switch characters as quickly as this. What I mean is this - we didn't invest enough into this char to really care about his loss at this point. You'll be seeing some pretty kamikaze shit if you lop off our chars' heads at whim and we can start over just like that. But yes, I understand your point.

Dang, I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that each character is disposable. Just thought I should explain my thoughts for proceeding ahead with that eventuality.

If it helps,

Since you pretty much uninanimously called my feeble attempt at a bluff by voting 'B', I don't mind saying it - you're not about to die.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
grotsnik said:
If it helps,

Since you pretty much uninanimously called my feeble attempt at a bluff by voting 'B', I don't mind saying it - you're not about to die.

Bros, I can see into the future :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could have concurrent distinct characters written by different authors (you'd need to setup secret google doc with shared info of the major characters that you'd update with plans/hates/currentoperations so things make sense). They could even be opponents like sabbat and cammie).

But you'd need someone organized and who writes well, and knows vampire inside and out.

Someone like Serious_Business for instance.

This is pretty much megalomania though.

ironyuri

It would be too early to kill our ventrue off anyway, I didn't think he'd be dying unless we chose something absolutely ridiculous.

I'm at work again this afternoon (about 10 hours away, Jesus Christ why did I stay up til 4am playing VtM:B... oh that's right, because it's still fucking spectacular!) so I hope to be reading an update then, otherwise I may be severing my manhood and hurling it at you, grotbro.

Esquilax

Arcane
SCO said:
You could have concurrent distinct characters written by different authors (you'd need to setup secret google doc with shared info of the major characters that you'd update with plans/hates/currentoperations so things make sense). They could even be opponents like sabbat and cammie).

But you'd need someone organized and who writes well, and knows vampire inside and out.

Sounds like it could be cool down the line, but right now, I am really invested in what we've got going on so far. I like the Patrician so far - he is very much a Ventrue, but nothing like a guy like LaCroix, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'd love to hear a few more details about him, though: his life as a mortal, his sire, possibly a character sheet etc. We know very little about him.

Just about the only complaint I have with regards to his characterization so far was at the beginning when we had that conversation with Karthik. He seemed like kind of a whiny little shit at first by reacting so emotionally to Karthik's bullshitting (I would think a real Ventrue negotiator type would have just played it cool and been unfazed by it), but after that, he got much more likable.

Kz3r0

Arcane
B)too late to go rogue now, stay the course, and just to get on sheriff's good side act as a gentleman, beat the crap out of the retards for their rude remark, with your cane, of course. :obviously:

root said:
anyway, i'd rather have a short but interesting game where we die at some point rather than a long and uneventful one where take no risks and nothing ever happens. so kudos
Too long can get boring, true. But if it's too short then we don't get invested as much in the character and our eventual death is not as meaningful. Or so I feel, anyway. But, yes, this was a nice turn of events, or at least so far.

No point in voting now, though. Missed the last round too. I think I'll live.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
SCO said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've thought a bit about this actually - since Masquerade is all about machiavellian schemes, I think it'd be tremendous fun to have different camps of players plotting agaisnt each other. However this would be fairly complex to set up, but it's a thought for the future perhaps

root said:
anyway, i'd rather have a short but interesting game where we die at some point rather than a long and uneventful one where take no risks and nothing ever happens. so kudos

I know you want to die young and live a beautiful corpse, but I don't. The fun will be when we actually have the space to plan things long term and see the results of our choices, imo. If anything a consequence like loosing Oscar is more biting than just "ur dead lol". In death all troubles dissapear. I can see the appeal in being outmaneuvered and planning vengeance to come back into the game (I already was grinding my teeth at the Tremere's comments). When I play Vampire games, I usually think players should die only if they take conscious risks or do stupid shit. If you want us to do stupid risky shit, which is fine, then I guess you'll need to vote and argue for it, and I'm sure you'll be doing just that

root said:
not saying 'hail sabbat' and shootin' the prince in the head.
That gives me an idea: If there's enough interest at that point, perhaps we could play a red listed vampire at some point in the future. Spend our wits evading capture or death, trying to take advantage of a city to put the alastors off our trail long enough to buy a bit of time. That would certainly involve taking quite a few risks (since everything short of "go to Antarctica and enter perpetual torpor" is risky). Might be interesting.

But that's a bit off-topic.

ironyuri

I think, had we picked say, Brujah, the thing in the sewers would have been in character. Maybe even as a Malk.

Ventrue constrains our actions, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This means we can be all about the long-term pay-off of our backroom deals and schemes. Incidentally, the thing in the sewer may still be up for investigation unless it has already moved on. We could always send our ghoul secretary to check it out some time, isn't that what ghouls are for?

:smug:

laclongquan

Arcane
Agreed! Choose action-oriented types and sewers is a very valid direction. In that case I would have advised avoidance of diplo-politics options. But Ventrue is diplomatic type, the one speciliazed in smooth talk, doubledeals, and facilitating favors. Options favor direct actions or raise Ventrue's fighting abilities are always a waste of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom