Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis (Completed)

spekkio

Arcane
Battle 01 - Prologue

(Battle descriptions stolen from bearsman6's FAQ, no bitching about switching from "your" to "our" back and forth!)

Once again, we are taken to our hero, Alphonse, who we find on a docked ship.
He's concerned about the weather, and insists that they won't make it to the
island if it persists as it is. The ship is in need of repair, and it will
take some time... Rictor, agrees to the delay, but admits that they've been
drifting for so long that he's lost, and didn't expect the storms so soon.
Then, a normal soldier rushes in. Unfortunately, he brings with him some
bad news....

2wn70x1.jpg

24qpyra.jpg

Battle 01 - Lutra Islands

Enemy Units: Leader - Bandit (M), Soldiers (M) x 2, Soldier (F)
Friendly Units: Rictor (Guest), Orson (Guest), female Soldier (Guest), male Soldier (Guest)

29oiwrp.jpg

2u89ekh.jpg

34y32q0.jpg

As it turns out, our enemies are mercenaries, hired specifically to give our group a warm welcome...

In this battle we can only command BRO, other units fighting on our side are guests, so they act on their own.
Rictor, Orson (archer) and other soldiers rush forward, but not without giving us some PROTIPS:

108cs9t.jpg

11wbiax.jpg

e6u5bt.jpg

Orson attacks enemy leader with a bow but misses.
Phew. It's BRO's turn at last!

2vsixox.jpg

But before moving/acting let's check out our current options:

1) End of turn: self-explanatory

291jq80.jpg

2) Winning condition: the same

2j30e28.jpg

htb3a0.jpg

2r3gtp2.jpg

3) Expendables: items that we can bring into battle

jpudeb.jpg

20jr5kx.jpg

4) View list: list of all units, their personal screens, equipment, talents, etc. When playing this game you will see this a lot. :(

140vnfn.jpg

e7nt07.jpg

Let's check out unit screens for BRO, Rictor and enemy leader:

35byyar.jpg

729iy8.jpg

dr8d8w.jpg

1b21v.jpg

Cool axe, dawg...

5) System: here we can access Pumpkin Tips (internal help) and change some Options.

33pbrz4.jpg

zknbdd.jpg

Pumpkinhead is a master of the lore in this game, very useful motherfucker.

2me79tx.jpg

ATM we have access to 17 Tips:

(I haven't found them on the webz so I had to copy them myself. :cry: Still easier than explaining everything myself.)

Read this if you haven't played any Ogre Battle game before!
  1. Attack Elevation Restrictions: Weapons have limited reach. Excluding spears and whips, weapons can only reach 2 steps up or 3 down. That means if you attack an enemy from 3 steps above, he/she won't be able to counterattack. Attacking from behind is another way to avoid a counterattack. If you want to see if an enemy can counterattack, check the arrow in the center of the screen when an enemy has been targeted. If the arrow is blue, the enemy cannot counterattack. If it's red, counterattack is possible.
  2. Spears and Whips: The hit range for spears & whips is 2 panels. Spears can pierce through 2 characters, but whips can only hit 1. They also differ from other weapons in their reach. They can reach 3 steps up or 4 steps down. However, range may vary depending on the height of panels in between.
  3. Missile Attacks: Missile attacks have limited range. When attacking, the area within range will be highlightened. Actual range may differ due to the relative elevation of the caster and the target. In other words, you may sometimes be able to hit an enemy outside of normal range. Also, if there are obstacles that block your path, your attack may hit an obstacle rather than the enemy. The Hit Rate displayed on the screen doesn't take obstacles into account.
  4. Recoil: When an attack is landed, character can sometimes deal critical damage to the enemy. When this happens, the enemy will be knocked backward one panel. This is called Recoil. If there's an obstacle such as wall or another character, then the recoiling character will receive damage. If the character recoils toward a lower elevation, he/she will fall and receive damage if the height difference is great enough (flying characters can land unharmed). Shield attacks can be used to intentionally make an enemy recoil.
  5. Persuasion: Characters can try to persuade adjacent enemies, asking them to join our cause. Persuasion's success rate increases as the enemy's HP decrease. Compatibility (alignment/element/class) also affects this. Characters of certain classes may be more difficult to persuade.
  6. Summon Spells: This powerful spells summon beasts which attack all characters within 13 panels of the targeted panel. If this field is empty, summoned beast will attack the summoner.
  7. MP & SP: MP and SP reflect character's mental power. They are necessary for casting spells or using special skills, but they differ slightly. MP can be recovered with items or spells, but SP can only be recovered naturally (with time).
  8. Terrain Change: Weather can affect the terrain. Depending on the season, it might rain or snow. On battlefields with water, the water level may increase if rain continues to fall. Character's power is usually lower in water.
  9. EXP / Leveling-up: Characters can earn EXP points during battle. With every 100 points character's level increases by 1. Depending on character's class, his/her stats will increase by a certain amount. Character can also acquire special skills when they reach certain levels.
  10. Abnormal Status: Certain support spells and special attacks can cause abnormal statuses (leaders cannot be affected):
    - Petrify: turns character into a stone. Won't recover naturally. If your entire team becomes petrified, the game ends.
    - Paralyze: immobilizes character. Low probability of recovering naturally.
    - Sleep: Target falls asleep and is unable to take a turn until he/she recovers naturally or wakes up by receiving damage.
    - Charm: Target attacks his/her allies. Recovers naturally or after receiving damage.
    - Confuse: Target attacks adjacent characters with physical attacks. Recovers naturally or after receiving damage.
    - Poison: Target receives damage at the beginning of each turn. Won't recover naturally.
  11. Element / Alignment: Each character has his/her own element and alignment, which indicate character's natural tendencies. In battle, if two opponents possess opposite elements, the damage they deal to each other will be greater. Elemental opposites:
    - Wind <> Earth
    - Fire <> Water
    - Virtue <> Bane
  12. Weapon Proficiency: Some classes have particular weapons that they are good at using. They may be able to damage an opponent more severely with that weapon than with a more powerful one.
  13. Mental Gauge: Colorful bar that displays character's state of mind during battle. Characters of certain classes can Frighten or Support nearby characters as a special effect. This gauge, which fluctuates between -2 and +2 indicates character's level of fear or confidence, with 0 being neutral. Example: Character with Dragon Handling Emblem will support dragons within 3 panels.
  14. Emblems: When characters fulfill special conditions in battle, the can earn emblems. By obtaining them, they can acquire new skills or change their stats. Some emblems are necessary for changing classes.
  15. Character's Luck: Characters have individual biorhythms that influence their effectiveness in battle. If a character frequently misses when attacking despite having high hit rate, then his/her biorhythm might be low. It's best to let that character rest until his/her luck improves.
  16. Buried Treasure: During battle, you may unexpectedly stumble upon hidden treasures. The are not on every stage, but your troops will definitely benefit from them. One item, the Dowsing Rod, will tell you how many hidden items are buried in each stage. Also, since the treasures are buried, they may be difficult to find in stages with grass/snow. In such situations, first burn down the grass or melt the snow before looking for treasures.
  17. Quest Mode: optional game mode.
Phew! Many things should be clear now!

Move it, BRO!

o91eg4.jpg

Almost everything that can be seen on this screen should be clear now. In upper-right corner you can see terrain characteristics.

After Movement Phase we have Action Phase. We can either Attack, use an Item or use Standby command, choosing direction that we want to face and ending our turn.

1zmc80i.jpg

2zhhxy9.jpg

4tn0xt.jpg

2cor3bp.jpg

sq7dbn.jpg

Alright, it's time for Enemy Turn!

e5qz6a.jpg

Stan (the bandit leader) begins to badmouth Alphonse

1z31cpf.jpg

xciu1d.jpg

However Rictor, the voice of reason, tells him to calm down

zt8ayo.jpg

anesup.jpg

Enemy units go after our regular soldiers, with an exception of female archer, who attacks Rictor, but misses.

Our turn: Rictor uses his Virtue spell, healing the female soldier (her name is Lara :oops:)

9kyy3m.jpg

5dkx1x.jpg

+51 HP? Not bad...

Orson attacks an archer, Lara attacks enemy leader:

2rfc67o.jpg

xlaxb7.jpg

nn9kpd.jpg

Eat that, fucker!

Male soldier joins her:

6ius13.jpg

Yeah, japanese tactical games 101:
  1. attack from behind,
  2. gangrape mages / stronger units first,
  3. ???
  4. BROFIST!
Yet, he does something opposite to his PROTIP:

i6meef.jpg

and gets counterattacked:

2d9prmo.jpg

:facepalm:

BRO goes after 2nd soldier:

2h6yrfd.jpg

Notice BRO's 10 MP - it went up from 0 to 10 points in 2nd turn. So: in most cases you can't use your spellcasters in first turn, you have to wait 2-3 turns before they gain some MP.

BRO decides to attack using his Short Sword:

2ql786d.jpg

263ddol.jpg

334qg3k.jpg

Evan probably shat his pants already!

2myxl41.jpg

We will attack Evan for 28 HP with 83% accuracy, he will counterattack (red arrow), but for 15 HP and with 50% accuracy.
Let's do it, people!

vpg8w3.jpg

2iidi8o.jpg

zn0m5z.jpg

2wp55kx.jpg

2qnqn4h.jpg

Enemy turn: Evan and enemy archer attack Rictor, 2nd enemy soldier and enemy leader attack our dear BRO!

2s1q90j.jpg

fnsjkw.jpg

v30kcx.jpg

Phew!
Our turn: Rictor uses his offensive Virtue spell against the female archer:

x22mqg.jpg

n2lwkn.jpg

1z2jc6d.jpg

dtg7a.jpg

:facepalm:

Orson attacks this archer

2nrohu1.jpg

but only for 11 HP.

So, yeah, as Clocky said: archers are indeed awesome...

Stan still has 70 HP left.

35ir3tl.jpg

Let's go after Evan instead:

1zpr3t4.jpg

i4pi85.jpg

2010j20.jpg

10455pv.jpg

epkn7p.jpg

Fuck yeah!

a4bz9s.jpg

Enemy turn: 2nd enemy soldier attacks BRO, Stan goes after Rictor and steals our trophy!

211rtwx.jpg

Fucker! Rictor gets so angry that he misses his 2nd Lightning Blow...

Stan still has over 40 HP, so BRO goes after 2nd soldier. His name is Fritz!

rhogu1.jpg

Fucking Australians! They're everywhere!

Enemy turn: Fritz attacks BRO:

1111835.jpg

But our mighty counterattack + recoil damage from allied rock takes him down!

mmrbtk.jpg

20v0txc.jpg

OMG what's happening?

23sj15e.jpg

2n1awsg.jpg

Phew. BRO received his 2nd Emblem. :)

Stan attacks BRO, bet the next turn should bring the end to his filthy bandit life!

zwdl5i.jpg

Rictor uses Lightning Bow again, PWNing Stan for good:

apg00p.jpg

nq1tds.jpg

2568lki.jpg

Battle won!

Trophies: 0 Goth (JewGold), 1x Leather Hat, 1x Francisca.

Of course I'm not gonna describe future battles in such detail...

Battle 01 - Epilogue

After the battle is over, Alphonse has some words with Rictor.

qxwj2w.jpg

Wow! [INT] + [PER] used!

Giving a bit of history, Rictor explains that they were requested by the people of
Anser, and it must have been Northern forces of Rananculus that sent such
a loving welcome. Apparently, these two sectors have been at war for quite
some time, and only a forest (though sizable) separates the two forces.
In fact, this attitude and conflict has been going for hundreds of years...

If that wasn't enough, you learn that your mission is basically one to hold
steady the situation, and that your force is so small because Rictor's father
didn't feel that it required the main force. Lovely, eh? Still, you always
have the option to hire new soldiers, so in the end, the size of your force
doesn't really matter. Rictor closes by saying he isn't very inspired by
his father of late, especially since his stinginess after becoming Duke.

Then, however, another bandit shows up out of nowhere with a bow in his hands.

w8q1au.jpg

He aims his arrow carefully, then lets it fly. Alphonse, at the last second,
manages to push Rictor out of the way, but takes the bolt square in the chest.

10cql2q.jpg

He falls backward into the waters below him...

15f23gw.jpg

One of the knights of your company sneaks up behind the bandit, killing him,
but the damage has been done.

2h2ed6f.jpg

Rictor yells out for his company to find you, but Alphonse is too far gone. As the screen fades to black, all you hear is
the whispering of the tides and the sound of Rictor yelling your name...

2i8u4nb.jpg

Stay tuned for more female-oriented encounter, people!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only good when hitting from a great height.

But high level magic users or class ability combinations normally pwn other classes anyway.
BTW i just remembered that this game has a shitty ending.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
SCO said:
Only good when hitting from a great height.

But high level magic users or class ability combinations normally pwn other classes anyway.
BTW i just remembered that this game has a shitty ending.
This game has a lot of endings.

Is it too much to ask that you aim for the A+ ending, spekkio?

spekkio

Arcane
Yes, especially considering this:
spekkio said:
The course of my playthrough (aka ending) will be decided by your voting.
Knowing teh Hivemind we will end with as renegade ending as possible. :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But the A+ ending is the renegade ending.

Lol unintended consequences,

lightbane

Arcane
I see that it does play as FF Tactics/Advance but apparently a bit harder. What happens if one of your characters is killed? He immediately disappears, or he stay ko for some turns before dying for good like Tactics?

Also, I would like to have another oportunity to define my character:

1. Male
2. Fire
3. Simon
4. Lawful
5. Bloom Angel knight
6.Balls of steel (Iron man if it's not enough obvious)

spekkio

Arcane
Battle 02 - Prologue

It looks like it's impossible to totally avoid some jRPG cliches in wapanese game...

nvzlvc.jpg

23jl45j.jpg

wsn1oz.jpg

34jc0gg.jpg

When we see our hero, he is awakening in a bed inside a small room of the church.

34f074h.jpg

The girl who saved him greets him, and after a bit of small talk, she introduces herself as Eleanor.

20u5180.jpg

Eleanor Olato

svnt3d.gif

Originally a nun, aiding Father Hamen of the church in Solea, her foster father, she truly is an innocent amongst warriors... She was an orphan who never knew her real parents. She was raised by step-parents in the town of Sotavento.

Class: Soldier
Element: Water
Alignment: N
Explaining that you're in the church in Solea, she continues, saying that she's a nun,
aiding the priest of the church.

She then suggests that a mermaid might have saved you, especially after
your own admission that you aren't much of a swimmer... Keep in mind the
fact that there aren't many mermaids left... It will be vital later.

i6y3oy.jpg

BRO! What about using your [INT] FFS ???

Just then, a silver-haired woman walks in, clad in red.

jizym9.jpg

Ivanna Batraal

4qhpph.gif

Ex-member of the White Fang Troops, Ivanna knows how to fight, and she does it very well.

Class: Knight
Element: Earth
Alignment: L
The woman explains that she was once a soldier of Rananculus, but now
she has gone out on her own. Asking Eleanor to leave, Alphonse asks if
Ivanna was a member of the White Fang Troops, "the cause of this island's
troubles."

Replying that that was 10 years ago, Ivanna, then gives you a glimmer of
hope. She reports that there have been sightings of men in unfamiliar armor
in Scabellum, suggesting that you head there to seek your friends. Also,
she tells that there are no organized troops in the South... Interesting.

Phew, World Map at last!

or1a8x.jpg

ATM we can:

2cs8gth.jpg

Save, Load, Use Pumpkin Tips, change Options and Restart Game.

One of the many great things in Ogre Battle series is the lore. Using "Select" button with cursor placed over anything always brings some info. We have three locations available ATM:

2z4zceu.jpg

wbezo9.jpg

2mrwqrl.jpg

Scabellum's icon is Red, which means that moving there will trigger another Battle. Let's go!

23m3imv.jpg

Upon arriving at the port city of Scabellum, you notice that it's very quiet...

6rhk6x.jpg

A bit TOO quiet in fact. Before the battle actually starts, you'll be introduced to Mullin, enemy leader and generally evil wizard.

23uqtr6.jpg

Ivanna explains that she is likely a knight from Rananculus, a spellcaster (duh). However,
you're presented with a choice now about elements. You can take advantage
and question Ivanna about elements, or just go on with it.

2gxl2bt.jpg

2l6lwo.jpg

Battle 02 - Port Scabellum

Enemy Units: L - Wizard (F), Soldier (M) x 2, Soldier (F)
Friendly Units: Ivanna (Guest)

35klhsg.jpg

13yneig.jpg

27yoj8y.jpg

Two against four?

:rage:

20uop5t.jpg

Stay well tuned, peoplez!

Gerrard

Arcane
lightbane said:
I see that it does play as FF Tactics/Advance but apparently a bit harder. What happens if one of your characters is killed? He immediately disappears, or he stay ko for some turns before dying for good like Tactics?
After a character is killed, he/she/it disappears, but can still be revived before the battle ends (if you have some means of doing that of course).

Gerrard

Arcane
Hitting ass and leg? I didn't even remember there were octopuses in this.

spekkio

Arcane
Well, it seems that it's impossible to totally avoid tentacles in wapanese game too...

Octopus... of the wind element, at it?

BatmanHappy.jpg

Might as well make me a melee wizard, I'd be more useful.

(c'mon mang, if not a human archer, at least a hawkman furry...give me a hand-to-hand combat emblem / backup mallet and you'll see the manrape that shall be delivered upon your enemies)

spekkio

Arcane
Chill out, mang. If you really want to be an archer, I'll make you a flying one, don't worry.

Oh, and about avatars. You preffer original or resized (pixelated, but I don't know better way to resize a gif with transparent background, tried ACDSee, Irfan and PSP7.0):

9s5wn5.gif
11smkqw.gif

?

I decided to play this after taking a look at it and hearing about the multiple endings and such, and prepared to torrent it.

Then remembered I had dl'ed a pack of 1100 roms a few days ago because I wanted to replace a deleted copy of Advance Wars. Sure enough, this game was in that pack too.

While I'm looking through this thing, are there any other GBA games someone can recommend while we wait for the next update? Decent RPGs, strategy games, etc? I only ever messed around with a few like AW.

Bigger ones are better, the pixels don't bother me too much

While I'm looking through this thing, are there any other GBA games someone can recommend while we wait for the next update? Decent RPGs, strategy games, etc? I only ever messed around with a few like AW.

...there's Zone of the Enders, I guess. Plays a little like Super Robot Wars.

Golden Sun 1 and 2 have nice puzzles. Mario & Luigi Saga is enjoyable as well.

Riviera The Promised Land is nice too. Animu graphics might put you off at first, though.

there's a remake of the first Shining Force, and Phantasy Star Collection (1+2+3). You might want to play these on the original systems, though

Clockwork Knight said:
Riviera The Promised Land is nice too. Animu graphics might put you off at first, though.

I've enjoyed Persona and the various Nippon Ichi games (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, etc), so I'm fine.

The summary I read about this game sounds promising, as do some of the others. And this rom pack has most of them, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

lightbane

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I decided to play this after taking a look at it and hearing about the multiple endings and such, and prepared to torrent it.

Then remembered I had dl'ed a pack of 1100 roms a few days ago because I wanted to replace a deleted copy of Advance Wars. Sure enough, this game was in that pack too.

Perhaps you could try... Mother 3 :smug: Also, Fire Emblem series, you can try Megaman Zero series too (action games, interesting even if it's for the music only)

Repressed Homosexual
I really hate, hate, hate this game for two reasons:

1-TURNS ARE SO SLOW, this is simply intolerable. Tactics Ogre on PSOne was 3-4 times faster, WTF? To me, everything should go as fast as Disgaea. The amount of lag in battles is so shocking that at some point I got fed up of this and deleted the ROM.

2-Attacks are fucked. LUCT was brutal, it was very easy to get killed because of a bad move and in a single hit, and archers were especially powerful. Now in this game, attacks are so ridiculously underpowered, that the battles drag on to no end, for no reason.

A lesser annoyance is the removal of the weight system. What were they thinking? It makes no sense for a knight in full plate to move as fast as a mage in a robe. That's gay, I don't like that turns now work like in Fire Emblem.

I'll stick to LUCT. Much more content, much more depth, and much more interesting plot too. I can't think of a single aspect of KOL that is superior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom