Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Richard and Alan's Escape From Hell!

zenbitz

Scholar
5ss1.jpg

am not exactly sure how to use the parachute to get down to level 2... maybe that locked door in the training cave?

(recycling old ss)
rss113.jpg

I apply my "master" lock picking skill (obtained in the training camp, as you recall, and voila!

5ss2.jpg

That big ugly thing is an "enforcer", it goes down easy to my assault rifle.
5ss3.jpg

The 3 Hell Corporals likewise don't put up too much of a fight.
5ss5.jpg

Me in a pyramid of Phat L00t!!!

I find:
A Hoe!
"A shield with a golden pentastar inscribed on it's black hexagonal surface". I don't know what that is but it sounds cool!
A Throwing Axe!
A baseball bat!
and 2 crossbows.
Well, mostly junk + a demonic shield. No level 2, though.

It turns out that we are seemlesslyrailroaded.

You must get the Hell Badge to go to the Training Camp.
You must get the Tude's tape in Limbo to get the Parachute
You must be trained in Lockpick to get the Demonic Shield
You need the Demonic Shield to get into Lucifer's landing, where you can use the Parachute to get down to level 2

So all we have to do is wander aound until we find Lucifer's Landing: ss7
(it's in the south east corner)
5ss7.jpg

interior:
5ss8.jpg

Oh teh confusion! It's oriented E-W instead of N-S!
Straight "ahead" (East) is this fabulous vista...
5ss9.jpg

The guards are no help, I assume the statue heals me, but I am all healed up.
I head south before crossing the bridge.
There's nothing there but a single bridge as opposed to the double one
5ss10.jpg

North path is the same. I cross at the North bridge cause that's where I am.
Oh the suspense is killing me!
5ss11.jpg

That brown stuff is impassible muck. Nice, Lucy, I love what you've done with the place.

The only way across is in the middle. Was there a sale on level designers in 1989? Was "Level Designer" even a job description???
I cross, and then...
5ss12.jpg

It's like the game read my mind. That's actually quite cool.
but then nothing happens!

Wandering east a bit more...
5ss13sat.jpg
5ss14tan.jpg

5ss15rul.jpg
5ss16les.jpg

The ground spells out "Satan Rules! and then 666 down the sides (no ss)
I was going to photshop it all up for you guys, but hey. I'm barely in it enough to actually play this game.

One "6" has some bad guys in it... but they seem unreachable.
5ss17.jpg

(actually, these guys have ranged weapons and attack me later)

Heading north...
5ss18.jpg

Satan is apparently full of hot air
a bit later...
5ss19.jpg

Hmmm... this could be fun!
5ss20.jpg

The Enforcers and Giant Demons can actually a 2 shots from an unholy mace, but still we prevail.
Some very mediocre loot, and some tough battles later...
5ss21.jpg

But the advances of modern technology, I just hide the window while I am at work, and bang, fully healed. I do end up burning both my Assault rifles.

I run into Moriarty, who will tell me where Flika's flame is in exchange for a pistol.
5ss22.jpg

I don't know what Flicka's Flame is, but the info is probably worth the pistol which is a pretty sub-par weapon. And I happened to have one.

Also, it's not totally clear but the coordinates above are in "World Map" space, not "Lucifer's Landing" space (which is pretty obvious when you realize you cannot really get there in the local map)

Oddly, the next room has Flicka in it...
5ss23.jpg

5ss24.jpg

ooh machine gun! That must be flicka's flame (wrong, BTW)

The desk nearby says:
5ss25.jpg

I also find a care bracelet, which would mean a trip back to Juliet in City on the Edge of Eternity... not sure I have the stomach for that. (I do)

Random ss of this "goo maze" with lots of bad guys and chests
5ss26.jpg

I guess this is what passes for a "Dungeon" in this primative RPG-like.
5ss28.jpg

Oooh... here is a new one, Some Ghouls zapped me with "Mind Domination" and Hamlet fell Asleep!

The SMG is pretty awesome though. It does Unholy Mace like damage to everyone in a group.
The Ghouls were guarding a bunch of chests including a Mac 10 and a Hockey mask and an asbestos suit (both are just generic armor, I think ehhh..but cool)
One last random goo maze screen shot:
5ss28.jpg

And I head out without doing the "south" part of the maze (mistake, it turns out)
I head back to Juliet and first find Flicka's flame. Can't do much with it, but here it is:
5ss30.jpg

5ss31.jpg

In case you can't remember, there are some Hell Privates guarding the space.
If I HAD some fairy dust (stupid crack) I would make a potion.

I battle muchos beastos de stench and get back to the first city
Not sure I have posted "archer" SS:
5ss35.jpg

and some Neanderthals:
5ss36.jpg

The city is aggro, presumably becuase of actions at lucifer's landing, but it's just Hell Privates. Not even worth wasting bullets on.
Here's Juliet.
5ss32.jpg

I CARE and she gives me a hug and a (WTF) light kiss.
5ss34.jpg

And Angelic Powers, so there's that.
(the last line is ... shown yourself worth! This power is transferable!"
It looks to me like a weapon I can equip. I test it on a hell guard, and it seems to work. Not sure of it's range or damage.
5ss37.jpg

It seems to do OK damage (not quite unholy mace) but also short range.

A quick jaunt to limbo.. and see Aaron Burr (I had to look in walktthough to see why the hell I was carrying around a basket of forks... apparently they are lead forks.).
5ss39.jpg

Oh, this is exciting, I make it back to the landing....
5ss40.jpg

and it's been destroyed by Satan himself, according to the sign...
5ss41.jpg

Well, dang. I think I missed out on some fat loot.
5ss42.jpg

OUCH. The healing statue doesn't work either.

The destroyed landing is full of zombies and skeletons, too. At least they don't have guns, so I can just melee pound them.
(turns out some of the skeletons have hideous cries which work at long range)
Hamlet tells me:
5ss43.jpg

Not so quick on the uptake, but maybe he didn't read the sign.

Uh oh, my UZI doesn't work either! That makes skeletons in packs of 7 somewhat annoying. Hamlet is so damaged by the trick healing statue that I switch him to Dueling sword just for the extra defense.
Ghouls seem to have Unholy Maces as well!
5ss44.jpg

I might be wrong about the loot - it appears the chests are still there, just all the monsters were replaced with undead monsters, and the floor tiles changed.
At Flicka's desk we can get Fairy Dust now... which would mean I could get a healing potion if I went outside AGAIN to Flicka's Flame...
Also there is the remains of flicka... and I missed the SS...but he tells me to "care" and not give up... oh, I see I picked up another Care bracelet, which I guess I could get more Angelic Powers. But one is enough. Touching.
All the chests are now empty, so what the heck, lets head to level 2...
5ss46.jpg

into the crater...
first message:
5ss47.jpg

then I "use" parachute
5ss48.jpg

5ss49.jpg

5ss50.jpg

And I guess we're fighting....
5ss51.jpg

here is the terrain after a couple rounds.
5ss52.jpg

I think the "surfers" are talon demons and scratchers, and the "Jason" guys are tiny demons.
here's a tiny demon ss:
5ss53.jpg

I wonder if my UZI works.... it does but it broke out of ammo (turns out that it hits a whole group - but each target uses 1 "use". Other area effect 'ammo' weapons work the same.
I finally dispatch them all...
And here is the local sign...
5ss55.jpg

On that note I will wrap this update up... next update contains SHOCKING events! Oh, I bet you think that's a pun. It's not, but there will be some carnage (and cool enemy screen caps!)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cool LP! :salute:
I actually wanted to LP this game myself until I saw this thread. I have just one question:

WHY THE HELL IS THIS AWESOME LP ABANDONED!!?

zenbitz

Scholar
Because I am missing a critical item due to bug/bad crack.

Had to upgrade os on mac used to run dosbox. I don't think the save game survived.

I might have actually gotten slaughtered when I went down to the next level... I don't remember.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
zenbitz said:
Because I am missing a critical item due to bug/bad crack.

Breaking news: you can defeat Satan (and escape from Hell) without the Holy Cross, in fact there are multiple ways to do that (AntiTank Rifles, Book of Death, etc.), and using the Holy Cross is the most boring one.

In other words, the walkthroughs lie. The items contained in the starting chests aren't critical. So, um, you can continue your playthrough. ;)

Splendid game, by the way.

zenbitz

Scholar
Duly noted. I will have to start over, I don't even have the VM I was playing this game on any more.

Romascu

Novice
Hey , could anyone tell me how big this game is, in hours?

I'm verging on "completionist" and have a limited time frame so i'd like to know how long is it.

Thanks.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I don't really remember, but it has just three levels of hell so I don't think it should take you more than 20 hours. (The number is pulled out of my ass, obviously, but what I mean to say is that this is a medium-length game, not particularly drawn out.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom