Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Richard and Alan's Escape From Hell!

MisterStone

Arcane
Awesome, and it uses the Wasteland engine? I can't believe I never even heard of this game before your LP here. I'm such a poser. :(

zenbitz

Scholar
Cassidy said:
Are there quests which require Lolbertarian Stalin and Genghis Khan to be in the party? Or are they just there for flavor?

I don't think so, from skimming the walkthrough that is around. Walkthrough recommends sticking with Hamlet and Horatio, but I kept Khan, cause, hey. GHENGIS KHAN. Stalin is terrible though.

zenbitz

Scholar
Wow, so we just picked up the Khan-meister. Seems like forever ago, especially since I played through much of this twice, but we are still in Minos' 6th Court.

ss59.jpg

We encounter a couple of Valkryie-types. No really, that's their "Animation" type... like Thug, Moaner, Screamer, Hell Guard/Private/Captain/Corporal, etc.

Juliette:
ss58.jpg

and some Oriental Babe
ss60.jpg

I dunno... I guess I'll decide when I get to Limbo, but how could some Sneezy dude out macho GHENGHIS KHAN!

There is a Killer around too...
ss62.jpg

At some point I actually wonder if this game is preaching at me. But no, I don't have any slaughtered children in my past to own up to... later, Killer.
There are some garbage-can lid shields out back.

I'm going to try to see if laptop == database now.
But indeed, the database lady does not want my lap top, phooey have to get another one.
When you come into the court, there is an Arch Devil Minos, himself. I didn't talk to him earlier because I thought it was the receptionist (who sounds the alarm)

ss63.jpg

I guess only the bureaucrats care about me.

ss65.jpg

There is a door I forgot to try.. with some chests. I slaughter the guard. I find a battle axe, and Stalin finds a pitchfork, and a knife. Oopps set the alarm off, maybe I can get a SS of someone doing damage. (don't worry I capture get some "death statement"

There's also an exploit here... when I come back after a save the chests can be opened again (of course, the monsters spawn again, but still)

Oh, this guy I missed... I can't remember if he's in court or wandering around in the City of Eternity...
ss67.jpg

Yup, I am definitely getting preached at by this game...

I leave the Courthouse (we'll be back again, although no more screen shots) and head back into town.

Just north of here is the town Lawyer in another boring identical building
The shingle out front says:
ss68.jpg

but when I enter I find it defended by _6_ hell guards.... I seem to be unable to flee..
managed to kill 5, but stalin and khan are in trouble. I guess I will use tactics and have them hide.
Stalin was slaughtered, but Khan and I eventually prevail.
Stalin comes back to "life" in a few moves anyway, as his HP climb out of negative. Who needs healing potions anyway!

After all that the two Lawyers thoughtfully inform me:
ss74.jpg

and
ss75.jpg

Well, not totally useless.

I get into another couple fights with some Hell Privates (seem to be a little tougher than Guards; they have armor and grant 150 XP instead of 100 when you kill them). Stalin is now out of Nail Gun ammo, and his nail gun "breaks".

Here's a nice little death description:
ss76.jpg

From what I can tell, each weapon has a couple different little descriptions, like the above, or "dicing into cubes".

I am going to leave town after I pickup another laptop...
I eventually chase down another Moaner, who informs me:
ss77.jpg

Hmmm... I already found Minos' infinite supply of Garbage Can Lid Shields, but... Hell Guard Training camp, that's kind of important.

Back to the "world map". Remember that skeleton that was blocking our path? I think we can take him now.
ss78.jpg

We beat him up... Stalin gets an Unholy Mace. But the hell privates are all in a tizzy now..

Unholy Maces are TEH AWESOMES! Because they do about 10x the damage of a regular weapon, and never run out of ammo like guns. Stalin, however, is TEH SUCK in combat. We will be dropping his converted from communism ass like Trotsky.

Out into the wide world of hell..
ss81.jpg

That blue lookin' thingy is a Stench Beast, or possibly 2. Those things are nasty if (like me) you run around with Melee weapons because they do group damage to your whole party and attack at L range. So you have to (R)un at them 2-3 times to catch up and give them what for with Unholy Maces and Dueling Swords. It's not that this is likely to kill anyone (except Stalin with his pathetic 20 HPs) but it takes LIKE 5 MINUTES of real time to chase them down. And then they only give you like 35 XP. And of course, if you kill them, then load a game and come back... they have respawned again! I hate Stench Beasts.

Here we meet Horatio with a bunch of skulls...
ss82.jpg

ss83.jpg

Now of course you all remember English Lit and Hamlet "Alas Poor Yorick..." we need to take a Yorick's Skull to Hamlet, who is somewhere south of here (I used a walkthough, but the world map isn't that big, you will eventually run into him)

rss84.jpg

rss85.jpg

We boot Stalin from the party. Annoyingly, I didn't get his Trenchcoat (armor factor 2) because I accidentally hit (G)ive instead of (T)rade in the interface. Give -- even if there is no NPC around -- drops the item FOREVER, while Trade give it to another party member.

We head back to Horatio now...
rss86.jpg

I am also going to give the Unholy mace to Khan, who actually has some skill to wield it (it does lots of damage)
At this point Khan is level 2. Hamlet is level 2 as well. I am still level 0.
I go back north to see Horatio, who joins us... Ooops, I lost all of Khan's stuff... including the Unholy mace.

Screw that. I'm reloading with Khan. I have to fight some Hell Privates again... but Khan is a death dealing machine with that unholy mace. One swishy-poke is enough for me. (The walkthrough recommends keeping Horatio and Hamlet... I leave Horatio behind). Dueling swords are cool because they give you defense (even against stuff which obviously makes no sense, like "Cold Hand" and "Stench Breath" attacks). However, they degrade slowly and randomly as they absorb damage (like all armor in this game)

Time to wander about hell for a while ... oh a chick!
rss87.jpg

You know what that means!!!

rss88.jpg

Boobage.

The town nearby is Limbo, but we won't be staying long... I am going to take a break here since I am at work. Hopefully get the next 40 SSs up tonight.

zenbitz

Scholar
On to Limbo...
rss89.jpg

But we are not supposed to be here yet. I get immediately assaulted by 8 hell privates. I flee... maybe I need that Hell Badge there were talking about in town.
I head West, lots of skeletons.... I kill them but have to save somwhere
there's some fighting. Khan dies, but comes back quick. I go up a level.

pitch forks! There are a bunch of these scattered about hell.
rss90.jpg

The bottom one says:
rss91.jpg

since I have a pistol with like 4 shots, this doesn't suit me.

The top one is more my speed...
rss92.jpg

it also fills the landscape with more crags

Back to the city on the edge of eternity... since I never did fully explore the place
off to the left... there's a poster for Hell Guard recruitment.

rss93.jpg

A singer gives me a Happy face button... never did figure out what the buttons do. He follows me... maybe I have to give this to someone who CARES

There's another office of redundancy...
rss95.jpg

but it's different. The Hell Corporal sends me to the cave to become a Guard.

The moaner has some plot exposition...

rss94.jpg

the other guys are quiet.
Exploring the lake of fire (near where we got the gold bar)

rss98.jpg

Behind the gate we find Melrose Amber...
rss97.jpg

the shades are postulated to be Fallout reverse-references.
I thought Melrose Amber was some kind of literary reference, but google is silent on the matter... unless you count her: http://www.myspace.com/smashmouth03 But given the age, I'd have to guess nay.

There is also a Diver around here...
rss98.jpg

wants to be told what to do... Hmmm... check my inventory. No idea.

Wandering back Northwest....
rss99.jpg

This must be Minos' estate... indeed the sign says:
rss100.jpg

I recall the random moanings of someone in the Firepit:
rss96.jpg

seeing as I am already in Hell, that's seems like an empty threat... But maybe that weird statue does something. Anyway, I'll be safe and save.

Get totally attacked by a screamer in Minos' estate. At this stage of the game, anything that can do damage to me at long range is a big pain. Maybe later

Around the back we find Chris, software pirate.

rss101.jpg

I am not sure where abandonware falls on the pirate spectrum, but I guess it's OK. However, odds are I played this game in 1990 on a pirated copy. I guess I'll be sentenced to an eternity playing Fallout:BOS.

This guy is on the other side of the fire pit.
rss103.jpg

rss104.jpg

Hmmm... maybe I forgot to EQUIP the shades.

rss105.jpg

Whoo hah... lets try Minos' Estate again.
Nope, shot up again, but I guess I can get into the post office now. Wrong again. What do these shades do again? Anyway, I fight the postal clerks since it's just 1 skelly and 2 Hell Guards. Did I mention I am digging that unholy mace?
rss106-mace.jpg

Other weapons do like 1-6 damage. The post office, is, of course, completely empty. This game is weird.

Amusingly, Stalin is back at capitalists for a free hell...
rss107.jpg

but I don't want him. Luckily I can enter "0" (instead of 2 or 3) when it asks who to replace... I wonder if he has a new nail gun & raincoat? Meh, not worth the bother

Back in court... to see If a happy face button helps Juliette. I am kind of tempted to try the mirror shades on the receptionist. Hmm. No dice on the happy face button. And the mirror shades don't prevent the alarm from being sounded. Oh well, more Hell Guards to kill. Guess I am off to be a guard.

Ah, you can give the shades to the singer and get a trench coat.
rss108.jpg

I also go back and get new garbage can lids for shields, then ditch down and head for the Hell Guard Recruitment center...

Marching through hell, I meet more stench beasts and 2 pairs of archers guarding the cave. They are weak but annoying because I am basically out of pistol shots.

[Sorry, I am missing some screen shots here... Basically there 's a cave, with a desk and a Hell Sergeant. There's also a chest nearby. In front is a line of Hellish wierdos who all say "wait your turn". If you try to get past him he says "you can't bluff you way past me". So what you have to do is use the Active skill Bluff on him.]

I finally "hit" on my 1-bluff skill and get past the hell guard. He gives me the badge and tells me to get a physical. I also find a pistol in cave's chest (yay). I head past to the examination room...

rss109.jpg

I guess I am since I just come back to "life" if I get "killed".

rss110.jpg

Find some book in a cabinet...
rss111.jpg

rss112.jpg

rss111b.jpg

and the punchline

rss111c.jpg

Actually kind of an amusing discontinuity there. And cool, increased pistol skill. Would be nice if it could go more than 20 shots without breaking though.

the "doctors" just attack when you talk to them...
rss111.5.jpg

The use the "Logger" animation. I don't know why there are so many Singer and Loggers in Hell. Not my problem, anyway. We butcher them.

In the chest I find a Pick and a Hoe. No, for gardening. What's wrong with you?

Contuing in the cave, there is a "Despair" (basically a skelton with "Icy Stare") guarding a passage that leads to a locked door that I cannot pick without a "Master lockpicker" in the party.

rss113.jpg

There appears to be something nasty behind it as well... but no matter as my lock pick skill is irrelevant.

I guess off to training camp! It's a little ways west of the Cave, I found it during some of the "lost in crash" part of this game...
ss93.jpg

So you can see my party is Stalanist in that shot.

rss114.jpg

here's a pic inside the Hell Guard Training Camp....

rss115.jpg

the statue heals you. Hell is weird.

We talk to quasimodo...
rss116.jpg

OK, if I need a shovel, i know were to go. Dueling swords are cool because they give you 2 def, but they get damaged in combat. I'll give him a worn out one if I need to dig somewhere.

Dante is here and he can join my party but I don't think I want to give up Khan or Hamlet. I blunder into _8_ hell privates and have to flee after Khan gets axed. Lucky statue heals me
There is a big open sentry training area with pitchforks to touch...
rss117.jpg

Bottom pitchfork returns us back to this hell... it says something about "trying everything twice", but I can't seem to get more than 10 lock picking.

Left fork - goes to an area surrounded by crags with a room and a locked door. You can practice lock picking the locked door
rss118.jpg

- goes to an area surrounded by crags with a room and a locked door. You can practice lock picking the locked door ( increased my skill from 1 to 10)
Right fork
rss119.jpg

Hitler's torment looks kind of like this:
rss120.jpg

(the scenery changes in the training camp changes when you touch the pitchfoks)

oh, here's weird little room...
rss121.jpg

oh, they spray gas. Nasty. Nothing to learn here, except "don't gas self"

Top fork -
rss122.jpg

grave yard. Obviously I need a shovel here. There are like 50 graves here. Worse than fallout2. I can (unlike the other "area") go back to Quasimodo and get a shovel.

Being a power gamer, I of course, dig ALL 50 graves. Finding:

1 despair ankh
"some bones" (i.e, nothing) - a bunch of times.
a cache of Nazi military supplies! Including 2 pistols, an smg, a battle jacket a police shield and a sleep grenade!
a funny message!
rss123.jpg

now that I'm armed I guess I go a-slaughtering. The usual hell privates, corporals are all scatterd about as my "Unholy Mace Dummies" etc. Plus zombies and crypt things

Since it's a new graphic (for the two of them) I'll post a screen cap:
rss124.jpg

Turns out the SMG doesn't work... must be cause I set everything to low tech. Pistols work though?
There's a building defended by a bunch of hell privates. I send them to ... well, wherever.

rss125.jpg

Somewhere along the line I picked up another Unholy Mace (probably from a Skeleton) and give it to Hamlet.

In there are hell captains!
rss126.jpg

Who attack at medium range which implies guns
Here is the "in battle shot" you can get from hitting (T)errain during a fight:

rss127.jpg

2 screamers too, who can scream at long range. I take damage but prevail.

AND THEY YEILD UP DA PHATL000T::
shotgun!
nail gun!
bowling pin!
broadsword!
pistol!
assault rifle!
another nail gun!
throwing axe!
(bowling pin???)

The assault rifle doesn't work either, I better go twang a pitchfork, and head off to Limbo...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey, everyone in Hell looks like Stalin ! He must have spread more than his "word".

Also:

spekkio said:
Awesome LP.
Also: We need avatards.

zenbitz

Scholar
Huh. I never ever looked at the avatar gallery... which explains my lack o' avatar.

Does some Mod have to upload them?? That's more than a little photoshop action, although since the "faces" are generally in the same spot of the screen shot, I might be able to script photoshop the same way it converts .tiff to .jpg.

What are the "rules" for avatars? A x B px, Zkb?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you intend of getting this LP to the end maybe you should wait to get more avatars (assuming there are more avatars)

Apart from that, I think 100x100 pixels is the maximum codex size, so from what I see you may want to resize them to 75x100 or something. It would be probably better to make them from the original dosbox png screenshots and keep them in that format, to have lossless image quality. As for photophop, you can create a resize action and use it with automate->batch.

zenbitz

Scholar
wait. dosbox takes pix?? (madly googles) Fuck me. Cntr-F5. That'll save me some time.

I was using grab (which takes tiff which are lossless... but I have to drag over the sub window every time).

As for the end. Funny story that. This is very likely to end up the mother of all blueball LPs. Because if I read the walkthrough there is supposed to be a "Holy Cross" in the chest at the beginning of the game.

It wasn't there in my game... and I even re-unzipped the files from abandonware, started a new game in a different directory and ... no Holy Cross.

Apparently it's needed to kill Satan and end the game. So I'm probably hosed.

zenbitz

Scholar
spekkio said:
Don't worry, futile effort is even more Codexian!

Yeah, that's what I figgured. If nothing else, adds some suspense to the game!

Cranioclast

Novice
Got an account at UG? The only version that I think actually works with the chest can be gotten there.

spekkio

Arcane
Description on UG:

mtktw4.jpg

There is also a link to the scanned manual in comments.

zenbitz

Scholar
Hmmm... at this point I am kind of curious to see if I need the Holy Cross.

also:
rss127.jpg

2 screamers too, who can scream at long range. I take damage but prevail.

Just to point out OMG TEH TACTIX. This battle is somewhat tough becuase of the mere fact that there are 4 guys who attack at range. Richard (me) has a pistol, so I can shoot back ... but the guys who deal the Unholy punishment can't. And while you can have some party members (H)ide or (D)efend while you plink at range... you cannot (R)un and plink. If you (R)un your whole party runs, and that's the only way to close range.

Although I guess I could let my NPC flunkies use Nail guns now.

spekkio

Arcane
Leeched UG Version and it has copy-protection intact:

33ehbvd.png

Downloaded manual and game works fine (cross is present in teh box):

vy75i0.png

Even after cracking the Escape.exe with Rawcopy cross is still present:

mcag07.png

To sum things up:

:smug:

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Thanks, started playing beacause of your LP until I got the badge in the cave. Then a moaner blocked the way, so I had to kill him. Now every Hell Recruit/Guard/whatever is hostile and they slaughter me whenever I enter the camp, for which I got the badge in the first place. :rage:

Tails

Arbiter
Great LP, keep it up. This Escape From Hell is on my play list for a longer time, maybe it's time to try it out.

zenbitz

Scholar
Thanks, started playing beacause of your LP until I got the badge in the cave. Then a moaner blocked the way, so I had to kill him. Now every Hell Recruit/Guard/whatever

Oh, yeah, I was getting to that. If this happens then you can just lean on the space bar a bit. The trapping dudes will wander off. Plus, healing!

I assume that's also what the Fairy Dust is for... although not in the abandonware crack.

It is a crack BTW, you don't actually have to answer question correctly I found out by accident when I hit return too fast.

zenbitz

Scholar
find out if

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom