Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play NWN 2 (Renegade Edition)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
0_Map.jpg

"Stray from the road and the danger is even greater." Rebecca's father once said. Who could've possibly resisted such a sentence? And what better way to test the new companion than to travel through lizardfolk territory.

Luckily for the merchant that they've rescued back in the Inn, the two once again are able to save him from certain doom.

1_Trader.jpg

Although the situation almost escalates in the aftermath as Rebecca mocks his bodyguards for their obvious incompetence.

*Influence gained with Khelgar: 1*

Anyhow, those are but mere distractions for what is important during such detours. Namely brawling

2_OutsideBrawl1.jpg

brawling

3_OutsideBrawl2.jpg

excessive brawling

4_OutsideBrawl3.jpg

looting

5_OutsideBrawl4.jpg

and more enthusiastic brawling thereafter

6_OutsideBrawl5.jpg

The two travelers engage in more casual talk during downtimes and it slowly starts to evolve into a real conversation. She is an inexperienced farm girl, he a battle hardened bar fighter. Also they both like to punch things. A good fit for a passionate albeit short lived bond of affection.

Their chat is about to reach its peak as they are suddenly ambushed by jumping, poison spitting spiders.

7_Spiders1.jpg

One of the bigger and more hideous looking ones unloads a big blob of toxin on Khelgar.

8_Spiders2.jpg

Khelgar falls to the ground defenseless and paralyzed.

9_Spiders3.jpg

This causes some sort of chemical reaction within Rebecca and she uses one of her feared three finger techniques. New record for spider long throws: 9.8 meters (probably more if it wouldn’t have been for that tree that caught its fall).

10_Spiders4.jpg

This leaves no doubt in their minds. The heat is on, now. Only thing what they need will be some concealed space. Like this cave.

11_CaveEntrance.jpg

Naturally, the lizardfolk in there won't leave willingly.

12_CaveFight1.jpg

It's up to more brawling and upper swing head splitters

13_CaveFight2.jpg

Always sends those lizards flying

14_CaveFight3.jpg

But there is also wit involved. Finding loot can be really hard too for example.

15_SecretChest.jpg

The last door of this cavern awaits.

16_FinalFight1.jpg

Rebecca slams the door shut again. She can't do this; she mutters, barely hiding her panic. She is too badly wounded, she will probably fail all her will saving throws, etc. That is when Khelgar bravely steps up and slaps her right across the face. He says that if she turns away now, she would be damned to do so again and again, never be able to overcome her own self doubt. All she can do is to step up and face it. Taken over by these words, Rebecca overcomes her fear and brings this romp to its bloody finale.

17_FinalFight2.jpg

Of course, the wisdom of the dwarf prevails.

18_FinalFight3.jpg

Rebecca is overjoyed. Not only did they just wipe out and entire clan but also gained much in the process.

19_Reward.jpg

She goes over to Khelgar and thanks him. Then she punches his face. He punches back. They brawl the entire rest of the day and most of the night before they fall into each others arms, exhausted.

Neither of them would ever mention what happened next in that cave but they will always share the thing that they’ve found during this hot summer day.

20_LoveHole.jpg

How this story ended, well, probably like most of them do, right at the beginning.

21_Aftermath.jpg

We now return to our regular program.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Xard said:
Have fun suffering through Act I though

I think Act I isn't half as bad actually, if you keep its overall goal in mind. That is to introduce all the important characters/places and to establish the PC's growing importance for Neverwinter's politics. It's still no excuse to include the orc caves though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lestat said:
Jaesun said:
When you make Khelgar a monk make sure you give him 1 level of Cleve. That makes any character rock.
Fixed. Ho ho ho.

Well specifically for the monk:
Power Attack and Cleave: Power attack is useless to a monk, but cleave isn’t.
Power attack is a prerequisite for Cleave, which is the only reason why you are
getting this feat. Cleave gives you a free attack against a nearby enemy in
any direction. These feats are a must for a monk who is trying to make the
Cyclone build. Combined with Whirlwind kick, your character will become a
tornado of damage.

Sexy!

On topic... I agree Chapter 1 is ok... as you said Pussycat669. Though the Orc Caves. Ugh!

Imbecile

Arbiter
Out of curiosity How does Appraise/Diplomacy/etc work. Does it take the parties highest value, just the main characters, or some kind of collective total?

Lumpy

Arcane
You choose which character you want to use for each dialogue interjection.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Cheers Lumpy - that makes sense. How do I switch? Select the character prior to making the dialogue choice? (my copy didnt come with a rulebook - only the MOTB rulebook)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Imbecile said:
Cheers Lumpy - that makes sense. How do I switch? Select the character prior to making the dialogue choice? (my copy didnt come with a rulebook - only the MOTB rulebook)
Each character uses their own Appraise with a merchant I think.

Only the PC uses Diplomacy, Bluff, Taunt, Perform and so on.

Radisshu

Prophet
Pussycat669 said:
Xard said:
Have fun suffering through Act I though

I think Act I isn't half as bad actually, if you keep its overall goal in mind. That is to introduce all the important characters/places and to establish the PC's growing importance for Neverwinter's politics. It's still no excuse to include the orc caves though.

I never really thought the orc caves were that bad. Okay, sure, they were pretty bad, but the strongholds of two major orc clans should be populated with lots of orcs. What I did mind, though, was that fucking merchant's house, the one full of bandits.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
0_Test.jpg

Rebecca and Khelgar are about reach Fort Locke and their last checkpoint on their journey to Highcliff as they hear shouting from the sideway. The trader from before and his Bodyguards seem to be in some sort of disagreement.

1_TraderTrouble.jpg

Trader:
'What is this treachery? You have been well paid to protect me!'

Bodyguards:
'You shouldn't have been so open about your profits in West Harbor, boss. My brother and I think that we deserve a little something extra for our work.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Not you folks again.'

Trader:
'But I...Hey, you there! Please, I need aid!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Oh no, forget it. One time was more than enough.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Two times, actually.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(leaving)
'Whatever. You'll have to deal with your problems yourself.'

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 1 point(s) toward Chaotic.*

Bodyguards:
'I'm afraid I can't let you do that. No witnesses. After all, we wouldn't want the authorities involved would we. Brother! Attack!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg
(steady)
'I must warn you, common sense is one of those things that are most likely going to get you killed in this realm.'

The Ex-Bodyguards meet their unavoidable demise.

Trader:
'Once again you've saved my hide. I can't believe my own guards would turn on me like that.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I hope you don't presume that this was a friendly turn.'

Trader:
'Of course, a reward you shall have, my friend. I am not ungrateful for your help.
Rest assured that the guards of Neverwinter will hear of the role you played in protecting me today. I'm not without friends in the city. Please, accept this money. '

He hands over a few coins and is about to ride off but Rebecca holds him back, quiet enraged.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Hold your horses right there. You really think I fall for some hollow promises? Give me something of worth, you windbag before I decide to take it myself.'

Trader: (nervous)
'Then..then you're nothing but a common criminal! But you won't find me to be easy prey.'

The trader draws his rapier and makes a few swings into the air. Rebecca closes in on him.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I hate to disappoint you but'

She punches him in the groin so hard that he is forced onto his knees. The next uppercut he receives is something that he won't so soon forget.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I disagree with your last sentence.'

They plunder the Trader's wagon and leave him behind in a pool of his own blood.

A few steps later they come across a band of Guards that are ganging up on a single tiefling.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I must admit, this is starting to get on my nerves.'

2_NTrouble.jpg

Guards:
'What, demon, no screams for us? Maybe we should brand you, maybe that'll lose your tongue.'

Tiefling:
'Leave me alone - I've done nothing to you!'

Guards:
'Well, now our Commander will be happy to hear that. It means his work here's all done, he can just give up the fort and go home.
Still there is just that small matter of those bounties on bandits he posted - and a bandit with demon blood, well, there's no telling how much that's worth.
A-course you could tell us where your camp is - the Commander will pay more for that, he will, and we won't even have to butcher the lot of you.'

Tiefling:
'I told you I'm not with those bandits - or are you deaf and stupid?'

Guards:
'Stupid? Here we were, thinking about letting you live, now you've gone and changed our minds.
But - hold on, look at this - a half-man and a dwarf, maybe friends of hers.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Were you planning to murder her without me? Where is the fun in that?'

Awkward silence

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That was supposed to be a joke.'

Guards:
'This don't concern you, we're soldiers from Fort Locke, hunting bandits. We caught that demon trying to raid our camp, and we were about to deal with her.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'A one-woman raid? What exactly did she steal?'

Guards:
'Nothing yet, but her crew's being hounding these parts. They been raiding us merchants, caravans - maybe even killed the Old Commander!'

Tiefling:
'How many times do we have to get through this? I'm not part of that crew.'

Guards:
'Shut your lying mouth, demon, you'll get the blade soon enough!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Look, I get the feeling that there's only one way how this conversation can possibly end so I will make it simple for you. You - won't - touch - that half-blood.'

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 1 point(s) toward Good.*

Guards:
'You think you're going to stop us are you? Hm, the Commander might pay for three bandit bounties, he's not for asking questions especially about a demon, a runty dwarf... and a dirty Harborman who doesn't know enough to keep walking.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'"Runty dwarf"? I know you cowards aren't talking to me, or you'll be talking to my fists next.'

Guards:
'Good enough for me. Let's kill them all and I'll sort out the tale later.'

The killing is done but in another way than the guards expected. As the three travelers bury the corpses to avoid suspicion, Rebecca is met with the most unnerving smile she has ever seen.

3_NTalk.jpg

Tiefling:
'Thanks for helping me out. Guess I owe you, huh?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I really don't think that there was much of a choice.'

Tiefling:
'Yeah. Lucky me, huh? Better to be lucky than good! Someone told me that once. It's a good way to think about things sometimes, you know?
I mean, once folks catch sight of me - usually it's the horns - they run in the other direction. And all those tales about tieflings being cursed doesn't help much, either.
I'm Neeshka, by the way. I'm really glad you came when you did. Wasn't really sure how to get out of that one.
Of course, they never would've caught me in the first place if that "invisibility" potion I bought hadn't been watered down. If I ever see that merchant again...'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You're done talking?'

Neeshka:
'Pretty much, yes.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What exactly were you doing here?'

Neeshka:
'Well, I was actually trying to pass the Fort, make my way farther south...
I thought that potion I've bought would help - you see, once the local garrison sees me, they tend to want to throw me in a cell or attack me on sight.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yeah, we've figured that this didn't work but why would the guards try to kill us too?'

Neeshka:
'It's been that way since the new Fort Commander posted bounties on bandits - some of his soldiers have been hunting down anyone they find on the road and claiming they're "bandits".
It's just banditry of a different sort - they rob the travelers, and then get the bounty, too. The roads are even less safe now than they were before.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Speaking of which, we should really get going.'

Neeshka:
'Yeah, I guess you don't have any reason to stay. Look, thanks for saving me... really.'

Neeshka appears to be leaving but suddenly turns back.

Neeshka:
'Do you... do you think I could join you? Just for now! I won't get in the way, I promise!
It's just that I don't know how long I can survive on my own, and... well... I do owe you one. '

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Can't say I trust her. Tieflings'll stab you in the back and run off with your purse the moment you drop your guard.'

Neeshka:
'Yeah? Well, dwarves are squat, smelly drunks who'll chop someone in half just to show they're tough!'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Oh, is that so? Why don't you step down here and say this again!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Can we please bring this to an end?'

Neeshka:
'He started it!'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Bah. Leave her here. She'll be food for the other beasts on the road soon enough.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'She could prove useful. If not, we'll get rid of her.'

*Your actions have shifted your alignment 1 point(s) toward Evil.*

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I was more thinking about dropping her in the next best town when I said that. But please, have it your way.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'We haven't needed her so far. Still, it's your decision.'

*Fast techno beats*

*Neeshka (
PR_Neeshka.jpg
) has joined the party*

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Thanks! I won't let you down. I swear.'

And so the three newfound companions finally reach Fort Locke where they are promptly addressed by an obviously anxious Marshal.

4_Cormick.jpg

Marshal:
'Well met. Have you run into a rather talkative merchant on your way here? He should have been traveling with two bodyguards.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Can't say I've seen him, no.'

Marshal:
'I hope he's safe. He's a good friend, and I'm worried that he didn't bring along enough guards for his latest trip to West Harbor.
Say, you look familiar. You are not a Harborman by any chance, are you?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yes. I am. Why do you ask?'

Marshal:
'Harbormen are hard to miss once you've met one, and I've met plenty being from West Harbor myself.
I'm Cormick. City Watch Marshal of Neverwinter City, Downtown. You wouldn't have heard of me - a city watchman is hardly a glamorous profession. But tell me, what is a Harborman doing so far away from our nice little hometown?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I have my reasons. I'm more interested why a member of the Neverwinter City Watch would find his way down here.'

Cormick:
'Well, mainly because of my merchant friend but also because I've heard rumors that the garrison here has stopped its patrols. Figured I'd look into it while I was here.
And, of course, it turns out that the rumors were true. No patrols, meaning the roads are crawling with bandits and worse now.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Why did the patrols stop?'

Cormick:
'One or more patrols have gone missing, from what I gather. If it were me, I'd gather a large force and investigate. Not the new Commander though...
He's a "by the book soldier". He's called for reinforcements from Neverwinter, and until they arrive he's hunkering down.
I tried to explain to him that Neverwinter doesn't have any troops to spare - not after the business with Luskan (Neverwinter's nemesis basically) - but he's sticking by the rules. No initiative in that man, I tell you.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'll see what I can do.'

Rebecca does as promised and seeks an audience with the leader of Fort Locke.

5_Lieutenant.jpg

Commander:
'Ah, a stranger in Fort Locke.. if there's something you want, be quick about it - I have a garrison to run.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'If I were you, I'd watch that tone of yours.'

Commander:
'The same could be said for you. Now, what do you want? I'm a busy man.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I take it that you're really the commander of this fine fort then?'

Commander:
'I am. And let me tell you, with Fort Locke being the way it is nowadays, it's a good thing.
These "soldiers" need military discipline, and by the gods, that's what they'll get.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Do you have any work for me?'

Commander:
'Work? Not unless you’re planning on signing up for garrison duty here.
We've lost a number of patrols recently, including one led by the former Commander.
I'm not about to send good men chasing after dead ones... not until I can replace those that we lost.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What if I handle this search for you?'

Commander:
'You, a civilian, helping a military garrison with investigations? Why?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Not because of goodwill alone if that's what you’re implying.'

Commander:
'So you're a mercenary. My predecessor was quiet willing to work with your kind.
Given the shortage of men here at the fort, I see no alternative. Very well. How much do you seek for your employment?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That's not important, for now. Is there anything else I should know?'

Commander:
'Nothing of note. All the missing men were patrolling in the east and we never had any trouble from there before. Now you'd best be going. I have more important matters to attend to.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'll begin my search immediately.'

However, just before they are about to leave Fort Locke:

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Hey Rebecca, could we, y'know, make a little detour while we search for those lost soldiers?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What for?'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

Well, do you remember that time not so long ago where those thugs threatened to kill me if I didn't tell them how to find that bandit camp and I said I didn't know?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yes, I vaguely remember.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'You know, I kind of lied back there, I think I do know where these bandits might be... I saw a large camp on the way to Fort Locke. If it's the bandit camp, who knows how much gold they've stashed there?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'That does sound like it might be worth our while if it's not too far off our route. All right, lead the way.'

*Influence gained with Neeshka: 1*

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Now that's what I like to hear. After all, these bandits have been stealing from others.. we should even the score, see how they like it.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'So becoming like bandits ourselves? That' one way to drag our pride through the mud, tiefling.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Look, I've got to make the best living I can with whatever... natural talents.. I have. If it means fleecing someone who has a little more than they should.. well, so be it.
But if you want to find these bandits, let me mark it on your map for you. They may have some "ill-gotten gains" we can help ourselves to.'

With the promise of riches in mind, they leave into the wilderness. Still unaware of the stalking figure that has been following Rebecca since the swamps.

6_StillWatched.jpg

A couple of hours later

9_Map2.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Could you please tell me again about that little detour you wanted to make.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

‘Relax; it's totally going to be worth it. Trust me!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'll-'

7_Ambush1.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Now what?'

8_Ambush2.jpg

Bandit:
'Stop right there! All who walk this road must pay a toll of 10 gold - hand it over, and you can go your way.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You all can die trying to stop us, or walk away - while you still have legs.'

Bandit:
'Bah. You're not worth our time anyhow. Let 'em pass! We'll make it up with the next lot that comes through!'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'A pity. It was getting interesting, too.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'We've lost enough time as it is. Come on, the camp can't be far away.'

*Influence gained with Khelgar: 1*

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Heh. Of that I have no doubt. Trouble seems to follow you, and I'll be right with you when the fun starts. Let's move on. '

The camp soon comes in sight.

10_BanditYard1.jpg

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'That are definitely more bandits than I remembered.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Aye, and this place is well fortified too. You still don't want to draw your weapon, lass?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You do it your way, I do it my way.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Are you really sure you want to go in? I mean we're only three and they've got, what, like fifty men standing there.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'It's alright. You see, in such situations, I use a relaxation exercise that a priest once told me. Close your eyes, take a deep breath and think of a rhythm, something like this. Got that in your head? Good then, let's charge!'

11_BanditYard2.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'You only got to believe in yourself!'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Why are your eyes glowing when you say that?'

12_BanditYard3.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Yeah, I’ve still got it!'

13_BanditYard4.jpg

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Awesome!'

14_BanditYard5.jpg

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Take that!'

15_BanditYard6.jpg

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Have to admit, that goes rather well even with the ti-'

A scream from Neeshka's is heard somewhere in a distance.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Medic!'

PR_Khelgar.jpg
(sighs)

16_BanditYard7.jpg

Once they've finally cleared the front yard, Rebecca takes a curious peak into the prison section when one of its hysterical inhabitants starts to open his mouth.

17_BanditYard8.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'What are you people doing here?'

PoW:
'We're held for ransom by these bandits. We need to get out of here before they discover us missing.'

Bandits appear out of nowhere.

Bandits:
'The prisoners are escaping!'

PoW:
'Oh no!'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Damnit!'

The three find themselves surrounded by newly spawned bandit platoons.

18_BanditYard9.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Ok, I'll take the 10 archers over there. Khelgar, I need you to handle that bunch of swordsmen to the right. Neeshka,... what are you doing?'

19_BanditYard10.jpg

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Just a little trick that I've learned. I'm getting us out of here.'

*Puff*

20_BanditYard11.jpg

Bandit 1:
'Where is that fog coming from?'

Bandit 2:
'Ah, my eyes! I can't see!'

Bandit 3:
'I can't breathe! I can't breathe!'

The cloud clears up again.

Bandits:
'They have escaped! Find them!'

Meanwhile in a safe distance.

PoW:
'I can't believe we've made it out in one piece. You were amazing in there.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'Thanks, but just a typical day's work, really.'

PoW:
'Uh... our thanks to you, friend...and to your dwarven friend, too. We'll make our way to Fort Locke from here.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I guess it would be wrong to ask those desperate people about retribution for getting us almost killed, right?'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I think I will have you figured out soon.'

PoW: (makes a run for it)
'We'd best be moving before the bandits send more men to pursue us.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Did you see the way he ignored me? He thanked you, but it was like I didn't even exist. I helped, too, you know.'

PR_Khelgar.jpg

'A true hero doesn't need the thanks of others.'

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Oh, really? You were puffed up so much when they thanked you I almost thought there were two of you.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'I'm thankful for that smoke bomb, if that's worth anything.'

*Influence gained with Neeshka: 1*

PR_Neeshka.jpg

'Well, thanks, I mean, you did good in there. Didn't think we'd actually get out through that in one piece.
But it was kind of nice working as a team without having to backstab anyone at the end. I can tell you that.'

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Our job isn't finished yet. We still need to find the bandit's treasure vault. It's probably going to be in their headquarters somewhere.'

The bandits are completely caught by surprise that someone would actually attack after an escape and are easily dealt with. Rebecca soon stands in front of their chief's office.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'This is it. If there is anything of value, it's in there. Ok, we need to do it the smart way.'

A short while later she enters the room on her own.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Greetings sire, may I interest you in our newest inventions in household security?'

21_BanditYard12.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Oh, so you want to get right to the point. Well then, come here and get it!'

22_BanditYard13.jpg

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'Like it? I call it the' Bottleneck of Despair' tactic.'

They achieve a flawless victory after which they take the chief's belongings and set the HQ on fire.

PR_Deaththumb.jpg

'We're done here but let's make sure that we head out in the right direction this time. I just hope those soldiers didn't bother to die while we were messing around.'

Stay tuned for the next issue where dead men do tell a tale.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Radisshu said:
I never really thought the orc caves were that bad. Okay, sure, they were pretty bad, but the strongholds of two major orc clans should be populated with lots of orcs. What I did mind, though, was that fucking merchant's house, the one full of bandits.

I mostly dislike the orc caves because they feel like an unnecessary stretch in chapter I. I mean, I can think of only a few things to justify it.

A) Lure the PC away from Neverwinter so some stuff can happen there in his absence
B) Introduce Cassavir and Grobnar
C) Make the PC a war hero and add to his fame
D) Maybe also to meet another shadow priest

A and B could have been done a lot of ways (preferably more brief).
C only takes a minor role during the trial against the PC and could've been ignored for all I care.
And D, well, I would say that everyone with half a brain has figured out by then what the shadow priests intentions are so why dwell on it?

LastAngryBat said:
Don't Monks get cleave for free?

Just checked it. Seems like a no.

Vaarna_Aarne

True. To be honest, C means that the whole thing would have worked better as an optional sidequest.

Radisshu

Prophet
Vaarna_Aarne said:
True. To be honest, C means that the whole thing would have worked better as an optional sidequest.

Yeah, I definitely agree about that. What was the last CRPG that featured an optional sidequest of some real length, with a villain and all? BG2? Or were the MOTB part with the woodman and the sunken city area also optional?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The swamp cave was depressingly boring. Even as railroaded as NWN2 was, everytime a sidequest came up, you just wanted to avoid that damn thing and move on. Because even they sucked.

The orc holocaust is the only good part of Chapter 1.

Radisshu

Prophet
Like I said before, the worst part in NWN2, for me, was that merchant's house that pretty much works as a bandit-infested dungeon. Was that in Chapter 1, though?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
You mean in that quest where you have to save a merchant before he is killed by the queen of thieves (whatever her name was)? That was definitely Chapter 1.

Radisshu

Prophet
Pussycat669 said:
You mean in that quest where you have to save a merchant before he is killed by the queen of thieves (whatever her name was)? That was definitely Chapter 1.
Yeah, that piece of shit. It felt like it was only put together to add more content to the game, it could have just as well been a single room with an encounter with Moire (or whatever her name was) and a few options (bargain, diplomacy, fighting, etc). I mean I like certain parts of the OC, but that was just atrocious.

Vaarna_Aarne

Radisshu said:
Pussycat669 said:
Yeah, that piece of shit. It felt like it was only put together to add more content to the game, it could have just as well been a single room with an encounter with Moire (or whatever her name was) and a few options (bargain, diplomacy, fighting, etc). I mean I like certain parts of the OC, but that was just atrocious.
Incidentally, it was also probably the hardest part in the game with those ninja hordes.

Radisshu

Prophet
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Radisshu said:
Pussycat669 said:
Incidentally, it was also probably the hardest part in the game with those ninja hordes.
It's the only part where my party was wiped out.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was wondering how you were going to do the bandit quest. (In that if you save the commander FIRST, then go to the bandits). Though with how you have been playing, I guess the diplomatic, getting the Bandits to work for the fort would not be something she would do.

And are you trying to get to an evil alignment? I sure hope so, because you get more dialogue with the Big Bad Evil at the end. And can get the single best ending EVAR.

Keep up the great LP!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Curiously enough, the door to the bandit's chief room was already open when I got to him and he attacked me right on sight. I don't know why. So what you see here is more of a compromise so to speak.

I'm planning to stick to the neutral alignment throughout the OC. It was just that Fort Locke has that weird biwoarish notion going on that asking for money -> evil all of a sudden. Should this go really well and we reach MotB, I wanted to make it a people's choice if an alignment shift is in order and into what direction.

Oh, and thanks for the flowers by the way. Please let me know if the pace is too slow/fast at anytime.

Vibalist

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Radisshu said:
Pussycat669 said:

And ironically, Moire herself was one of the easiest encounters in the game. Way weaker than her own henchmen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom