Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play - I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream(Update#1 p.2)

Which character should I begin the game with?

• Gorrister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benny

• Ellen

• Ted

• Nimdok

• kingcomrade (make up your own mind)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ironyuri

Friends, Trannies, Codexians, lend me your ears!

Inspired by the incredible Let's Play content that has recently graced these hallowed pages (Brother None's Sanitarium LP; Redshirt #42's The Last Express LP; ghostdog's Fate of Atlantis LP, and others by the likes of spekkio and Cassidy), I have decided to fire up my own LP. While I will not be able to make daily updates and may at times suffer from having far too much actual work to do (much like Brother None), I will endeavour to provide you with a most enjoyable Let's Play of a most excellent game.

So, without further ado, I present to the Codex my own Let's Play of-

Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"

imustscream.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Contents:

Part 1 - Introductory Cinematic

Preface

During the Cold War hysteria of the 20th Century, three
superpowers of the world built vast subterranean
computer complexes to wage a global war. The Chinese,
Russian, and American computers were fed killing
data to carry out this war. However, the machines
expanded beyond their programming and became aware of
one another. They united as AM, as in the Latin phrase
Cogito Ergo Sum. I think, therefore I am. The countries
attempted to shut their computers down, but AM had
already started the Final War. It wiped the Human race
off the face of the planet. But with no other
programming except for killing data, it has nowhere
else to expand to. It cannot dream or think or imagine.
So before the end of the Final War, Am took down 5
humans, seemingly at random. AM can create illusions,
landscapes and keep the remaining humans immortal, so
it may torture them for it’s own amusement. At the
start of the game, the 5 damned humans have been with
AM for 109 years.

The game offers some moral C&C and features a "spiritual barometer" which will display each character's reaction to the decisions they make in-game.

Of course now it is up to you, Codexia, to make a choice!

imustscream-1.png

IHNMAIMS allows me to select which character I would like to begin the game with and thus, I leave this choice to my brave Codexian fellows. I offer you a brief description of the characters:

gorrister.png

Gorrister has been turned into a suicidal loner. A self-proclaimed victim of the women in his life, Gorrister longs for death more than any of the other captives.

Gorrister begins his chapter trapped in some kind of hellish dirigible. After landing, he comes across a bar with his name. It's only here that Gorrister can come to terms with what happened to his wife.

benny.png

Benny is AM’s favourite torture toy. Radiation sores and scars, blindness, an arthritic condition that comes and goes so that sometimes he cannot even hold a spoon. He has been altered to appear simian.

Benny is thrown to an early tribal society who worship and give sacrifices to AM. He wants only food, even though is body is so mangled that he can't even chew it. Only by standing up for a young child can Benny find redemption.

ellen.png

Ellen was a brilliant engineer who was climbing the corporate ladder when AM seized her. But if she is that competent, that cool, that smart, why does she become hysterical when confronted with the colour yellow?

Ellen is outwardly strong, inwardly vulnerable, a smart and capable woman completely traumatized by the color yellow. Her journey takes place in a pyramid, as she begins to unlock the core of AM's subconscious.

ted.png

Ted is a cynical paranoid. His eyes keep darting here and there, as if he expects a sniper to aim at his exposed head. He is so twitchy he could make poison ivy nervous.

Ted was the narrator of the original story, but here he's a paranoid, lying sleazebag. Despite his demeanor, he still has strong feelings for Ellen, and pictures himself as her (literal) knight in shining armor. He's thrust into a medieval castle and must not succumb to temptation to save the soul of his beloved.

nimdok.png

Nimdok is so ancient, and so withered, he looks as if he is constructed of leather strips. AM sees this mean-spirited old man as a kindred spirit, but if he has any secrets he is keeping them to himself.

A Nazi scientist, Nimdok (not his real name - it's just a funny sounding word that AM named him to amuse himself) is thrust back to World War II and his medical experiments at a concentration camp, where he must attempt to find some way to redeem himself. (He can't, not completely anyway - his crimes are too unforgivable.)

It's up to you now, fair Codex! Take heed that Gorrister is the recommended character for starting the game and that I will hopefully get the chance to offer further choices as the playthrough progresses.

I should also note that this will be my first experience with this game so it will hopefully be an enjoyable experience for all involved, most of all myself. Given that I have not played this game as of yet and am doing so for your viewing enjoyment, I ask that no one spoils the game or the plot in this LP and if you need to tell me something specific, make sure to PM me.

Now... LET'S PLAY I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM!

lightbane

Arcane
The choice is obvious: The Nazi scientist.

Also, if I recall correctly he can be "redeemed", you can

make Nimdok the one that let's say directly influences the ending.

PS: Fun fact, in the short story Benny was uglier and he also liked to frequently rape Emily, but it's not shown here.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Fuck yeah! <jaesun>I just came on my pants</jaesun>

Go with Nimdok. Disturbing as hell.

spekkio

Arcane
I approve.
and:

nimdok.png

But stop hotlinking HCGaming 101 images you fucking jew!

:rpgcodex:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This is a vote? I mean, it even needs to be considered?

Nazi Scientist all the way mango.

ironyuri

spekkio said:
stop hotlinking HCGaming 101 images you fucking jew!

FFFUUUUUUUU-

I didn't want to screw around with actual game shots until I got the game up and running as I haven't got a copy of photoshop or paintshop pro on this laptop.

Incidentally, Spekkio, I've been trying to get some screencaps in Scumm VM using FRAPS, but I can't get it to work (In the past I've used FRAPS to take screencaps for Total War AARs) in this instance; do you know any better programs I could be using to put this LP together, or a way to save screencaps directly using Scumm VM?

spekkio

Arcane
ironyuri said:
I didn't want to screw around with actual game shots until I got the game up and running as I haven't got a copy of photoshop or paintshop pro on this laptop.
That's why you should download the images from HCG101 and upload them again to some image hosting service...

ironyuri said:
Incidentally, Spekkio, I've been trying to get some screencaps in Scumm VM using Fraps but I can't get it to work (I used to use FRAPS to take screencaps for Total War AARs) in this instance; do you know any better programs I could be using to put this LP together, or a way to save screencaps directly using Scumm VM?
:roll:

readme said:
Alt-s Make a screenshot (SDL backend only, which includes Windows, Mac OS X, other Unices and Linux)
HyperSnapDX would probably help, too. Fraps is for DirectX/Direct3D/Opengl outputs only, AFAIK.

Best solution: use DosBox.

:smug:

hanssolo

Educated
Nimdok is the stupid/obvious choice for stupid/obvious Codex. Gorrister and Benny's chapters are the best by far, all Nimdok has is 'lulz I'm a repentant jew nazi doctor' (though I expect you to be fully unrepentant in your playthrough and get the 'correct' ending.)

Also, does this even need a vote? you have to go through every character, and order of play changes absolutely nothing. (or is this: which character does the Codex want to see before I give up?)

edit: also, considering the reveal of Nimdok's role in assisting AM (indirectly) is in his chapter, I always felt of it as the finale.

ironyuri

hanssolo said:
Also, does this even need a vote? you have to go through every character, and order of play changes absolutely nothing. (or is this: which character does the Codex want to see before I give up?)

I don't expect to give up, but, as I said in the intro- I have alot of work to do (I'm getting into the final stages of a dissertation) and I expect only to be able to update on weekends. Play however will likely proceed quickly.

I will try to string this LP out for a while, preferably to build suspense and butthurt until both reach critical mass.

(then I'll give up)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Voted kingcomrade. Nazi scientist is going to win anyway.

ironyuri said:
I don't expect to give up, but, as I said in the intro- I have alot of work to do (I'm getting into the final stages of a dissertation) and I expect only to be able to update on weekends. Play however will likely proceed quickly.

I will try to string this LP out for a while, preferably to build suspense and butthurt until both reach critical mass.

(then I'll give up)

Sounds like a plan.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't matter, all characters are great.

:thumbsup: for the choice of LP !

Achilles

Arcane
Indeed, what a fantastic choice for a LP! Man, just watching that box art... I fucking hate the decline of modern gaming :(

CrimHead

Scholar
Ellen had my favorite story. Probably best saved for last though, given how much information is revealed regarding AM.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Alexandros said:
I fucking hate the decline of modern gaming :(

You don't have to remind me :(

@ironyuri

Carry on noble warrior! Bring us back the days of glory!

Edit: Oh yeah. Nazi guy all the way.

Vitriol

Educated
Excellent choice for an LP :thumbsup:

I'd go Gorrister > Benny > Ted (weakest part) > Ellen > Nimdok

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom