Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fort Zombie!

Ironman?

• Yes, ironman!

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No, savescum!

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

Multi-headed Cow

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, LET'S CHECK OUT THAT WEAPON STASH!

WpDin.jpg

Dun. Dun. DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. After what happened the last two times I entered buildings overgrown with plants, I'm inclined to stay away from the church. Plus there's a cop zombie just outside.

oKMDj.jpg

Gasp! Ironyuri sends Ben some good mojo, and a butcher shop appears in his path! And with a name like Gein you know the meat's gotta be good.
Ben takes a hit clearing out the butcher shop, knocking him down to 55% health. At least a search of the butcher shop reveals... Nothing! Absolutely nothing! IRONYURIIIIIIIIIIIIII! Oh well, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

X1POh.jpg

We enter this overgrown grocery store since the quest compass seems to be pointing here. Is the weapon stash inside? Corpses and zombies certainly are.

zDqdU.jpg

That pile of corpses by the exit was loaded! Beretta with flashlight, a box of 9mm ammo, two boxes of 7.62, a box of 5.56, and a wedding ring!

wuCaR.jpg

Rest of the grocery store has 4 shamblers, 1 doctor zombie (Not pictured) and a cop zombie. ENGAGE MAXIMUM MAKE FIGHT

gNir1.jpg

Things went pretty well until the cop zombie clipped Ben. Down to 26% health. Hopefully the rest of the corpses in here will have good loot.
And speaking of loot: 2 boxes of .44 ammo, a box of shotgun shells, 3 boxes of .357, 3 boxes of .38 win, a box of .38 fed, 3 boxes of .40, 3 boxes of .45 acp, a box of .458 win, a Colt python (Pistol that uses .357), a machete, and a lighter
Not bad, but I wish there was more. On the way back to the exit I swing by a pharmacy I somehow didn't notice the first time through. Arthur gets hit and knocked down to 36% health, but for loot we get: 2 rolls of medical tape (3 medical units each). Yes, that's it. AND IT GETS WORSE.
While running through the alley we came through to get to the weapons, some random shuffler pops around a corner and smacks Ben, knocking him to 17% health. The shuffler gets killed, and I give a roll of medical tape to Arthur and have him use first aid. He uses up the tape and brings Ben to a whopping 18% health.

crbeR.jpg

YES. YES I DO. Time to end the day and get some much needed healing.
Journal updates:
12% more work added to building barricade 2, 20% remaining
45% done on upgrading barricade 1, 51% remaining

Skill updates:
Arthur reached 42 in blades, 2 in first aid (What the fuck, I should have checked that. Game said he had a better first aid than Ben so I assumed he had SOME skill. Guess not), 2 in scout, 26 in sneak
Ben (PC) reached 6 in Beretta, 38 in clubs, 11 in first aid (Double what the fuck), 5 in scout, 15 in sneak, 35 in spot
Lucia reached 2 in carpentry

Morale:
Arthur Machen is hurt pretty bad, and the pain must be pretty hard to deal with. I can see the wounds reducing his morale by 1
I'm hurt pretty bad etc etc morale reduced by 1
Reputation improved by 1 (?)

NOavT.jpg

How did that old rat bastard heal so much than Ben? RAGE! We've got two weapons/ammo missions available and one survivor mission. What do, Codex?

dextermorgan

Arcane
Could you do a recap of guns we have available? Will they be important in the final showdown, or how important in relation to barricades? Depending on that, I'd either go guns>survivors or vice versa.

Multi-headed Cow

Could you do a recap of guns we have available? Will they be important in the final showdown, or how important in relation to barricades? Depending on that, I'd either go guns>survivors or vice versa.
Yeah, that would probably be a good idea. I'll write one up here. And guns ARE pretty important in the final showdown (With ammo of course) but so are barricades. I've basically never used traps as getting the materials and designs for them is iffy at best. Plus straightforward zombie shooting with barricades is more solid I imagine.

WEAPONS:
Crowbar (Ben)
Fire axe
Baseball bat
Machete (Arthur)
Beretta (9mm) (Ben)
Colt detective (.38) (Ben)
M1 Garand (7.62)
M16 (5.56)
Lee Enfield (.303)
Beretta (9mm)
Beretta (9mm)
Beretta (9mm)
Colt python (.357)

AMMO:
8 boxes of .38 fed
3 boxes of .38 win
3 boxes of 9mm
9 boxes of shotgun shells
2 boxes of 5.56
4 boxes of .458
4 boxes of .303
4 boxes of 7.62
3 boxes of .357
3 boxes of .45 acp
3 boxes of .40
2 boxes of .44

A box of ammo is anywhere from 20 to 30 rounds.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Looks like you're pretty solid with guns so far, especially considering you're mainly using the Beretta for missions. I'd vote survivors for moar barricades (perhaps even lucking out with an actual doc), then assess supplies and go either supplies or guns (ammo).

Urist McLurker

Learned
Survivors, if Arthur healed so quickly maybe the other meatshields can too, even if you don't use 'em in the field it looks like the more the merrier at the moment, I'm assuming the food stocks can take it with ease.

Lindblum

Augur
Survivors, if the RNG will not give us Guns then we'll just use meatshields.

Arthur is plotting your down fall, don't rest take him on the next outing and see to his 'accident' in a butcher shop maybe?

Multi-headed Cow

Survivors mission first, guns mission second. No rest for Ben!

pXm3O.jpg

Time to save some people! 5 zombies are wandering around those tents and ambulances, but as usual Arthur and Ben take care of them easily. That's the problem with being so good at melee, I get confident since we can take 5 zombies at once easily and then some random shithead zombie takes a big bite out of Ben. Surely that won't happen this time though.
Loot from the triage tents: Antibiotics (10 medical units), aspirin, duct tape

Gp2VP.jpg

HAVE AT THEE, ZOMBIES. Things get slightly hairy when Ben runs out of stamina from swinging his crowbar so much, but we avoid taking damage again. From what I can tell of the quest compass, it's saying the survivor(s) are in the fire department with the ambulance parked in front. Time to head inside and check it out. Surprising the mission objective was in view of the exit if that's the case.

gA5cg.jpg

Loot from firehouse: Painkiller (6 medical units), 2 gauze (3 medical units each), water jug (3 food),
And it looks like there's a barricade back with the spiral staircase there.

jPtam.jpg

Another goddamn child just behind the barricade!

G9epJ.jpg

And on the second floor, a couple zombies. Would have to guess they were with the little girl and later zombified, as they're behind the barricade with her.

WcGfs.jpg

Nothing noteworthy on the third and final floor, except a decent view. All trunks searched but no items. The cursor is over our entrance point, to give an idea of how close this was to the exit.
Well, what the hell. Super fast and easy mission. Got some slight medical supplies, and saving children is good for morale at least, and it's not like we're desperately low on food at all. I'll call that a wild success. We go from 39 medical units to 61 in the fort.

1a8WA.jpg

Since that was so easy, time to dive right in to the next mission, the nearest weapons one. I set Janey Howard to working on the barricades with the rest of the survivors and head out.

upoA7.jpg

Looks like there's our objective. Short jog from the entrance point with minimal zombies on the loose. We manage to pick up duct tape, nails, car battery, and a jug of gasoline on the way over. 4-6 zombies inside by the look of it but shouldn't be any trouble.
Shouldn't be any trouble until I hear gunfire. Yes, there's a soldier zombie in there firing a rifle one-handed. Things just got a lot more dangerous.

sqAIT.jpg

Rest in peace, Arthur. Those soldier zombies don't fuck around. Nailed him with a shot across the street. Patch notes mentioned making soldier zombies more accurate and by gum they are. Still not particularly good shots, but fuck.

lrw19.jpg

Both (There was a second in the back of the store) soldier zombies down. Ben got shot in the legs which leaves him moving at walking speed (No jog or sprint) until he gets healed, but did relatively little damage to him. Let's see what the prize is for losing Arthur.
Loot: 2 MREs (10 food units), 2 medkits (10 medical units each), a box of shotgun shells, a car battery, 3 boxes of 7.62, an AK-47 (7.62), a box of .458 win, a tommy gun (.45 ACP), 2 boxes of .308, a box of .40, and 3 boxes of .45 ACP
I end up leaving behind a fancy M4, basically a nicer version of the M16 back at base. I do this due to limited inventory capacity and the fact that it uses 5.56 ammo which we have very little of. We're better stocked for the AK and tommygun. I could leave some food or medical supplies behind, but unless we had gobs and gobs of 5.56 ammo I just don't see the advantage to having two rifles of the same type, particularly when one (Both?) fire in bursts and will chew through ammo quickly when used.

fs99U.jpg

Ben gimps his way home. The fort is at 321 food, and 81 medical supplies.

Janey Howard's story:
"When Bobby and I were together, we would take turns sleeping. One of us would watch out for zombies, and the other would lie down. We took turns hiding and looking for food, too. I was good at finding things, and then I could come back and tell Bobby where they were; he was a lot stronger than me and he could carry more stuff. We did ok that way for a while, but then one day Bobby went out to get food and he didn't come back; when I went looking for him I saw that the zombies had blocked the way. My brother was smart-he would have tried to find a way around. They didn't get him so easy."

Journal:
About 39% more work done on upgrading barricade 1, about 12% remaining
We managed to finish building barricade 2!

Skills:
Algernon raised first aid to 26
Christine raised carpentry to 2
Ben (PC) raised clubs to 40, Colt detective to 6, interaction to 28, pistol to 57, scout to 6, sneak to 17, spot to 37
Janey raised hand to hand to 2, scout to 45, sneak to 45,
Lucia raised carpentry to 3, metal working to 2
Rowan raised carpentry to 2

Morale:
We lost Arthur, -1
Ben's hurt, -1
Saving Janey, +1
We finished a barricade, +1
Reputation improved by 2

YLKE0.jpg

One survivor mission, one supplies mission. We're at 290 food today and eating 31 units a day at the moment. So assuming we don't gain any more survivors, we've got MORE than enough food to reach ITZ.
What's the plan now, Codex? Probably could do both missions today. But should we bring a new meatshield with Ben? Or maybe tackle the survivor mission first solo and see what bropanions we get to bring to supplies mission?

Not sure why that final picture got fucked up like that. Looked normal in-game. 7 days remaining until ITZ.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Where exactly is morale relevant? It keeps referencing it and reputation, but I don't see what if affects, or did I just overlook something in the intro?

Go for survivors. You can never have too much help, and if it is anything like the previous survivor mission, you might get some nice stuff. No meat shield unless there is someone particularly useful/useless that you feel you might need/not mind dieing.

Multi-headed Cow

Morale increases/decreases the chance NPCs will join you when you ask them, as well as impacts their healing and zombification chance IIRC. Reputation is just NPC join chance.

This is information I've pulled out of my ass as I never found it well documented anywhere detailing the specifics.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Jesus Christ are these guys made of paper? Anyway, you have more guns than you have people, and you're doing well with food so I guess more manpower is required. Solo missions from now on, NPCs are dying far too easily.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Just watched a video of this. Pretty well designed game from what I can see.

Can't find a demo of it anywhere.

Multi-headed Cow

aCXVy.jpg

Alright LET'S SAVE US SOME SURVIVORS! Since Ben's on his lonesome I'll likely lean on the revolver a bit more. Melee is more workable when you've got bros backing you up, but if you're by yourself then burning up stamina to swing a crowbar around makes me uncomfortable.
Also annoyingly, Ben's legs are still fucked up. Going to be going through the whole mission at snail pace, no option for jogging or sprinting. Fuck.

dYd8Y.jpg

Fuck fuck! Zambies! ZAMBIES EVERYWHERE. Ben gets knocked down to 60% health and heavily damages his left arm. Not sure that'll impact his accuracy with pistols though.

s9Nmz.jpg

52% health in a bowling alley. Starting to think I should finish this survivor mission and then rest once we get back to the fort. These crippled legs are for the birds.

Yf2Xl.jpg

Barricade in a bowling alley? Who would pick a bowling alley as a safe place to hide?

ClXF5.jpg

Medicine skill! SHE HAS MEDICINE SKILL! This means she can take the "Doctor" job at the fort, which gives an even larger healing benefit than the "Nurse" job, and they stack! A night of rest with a doctor and nurse and Ben should be in good shape!

1SOt9.jpg

Pretty decent construction skills. She'll be a good barricade worker. Carpentry being used on making the initial light barricades, metal working on heavy barricades.
Not too bad. Both useful survivors!

0kAxs.jpg

Yes! The supplies mission appears to be for food, and since we're at 290 food (Using 43 a day with our two new bros) I think it's definitely time to end the day and hope Ben's gimpy legs get fixed. First I set Lillian as the fort's doctor, and Lula Belle working on upgrading barricades.

Lillian Phillips' story:
"I worked in my brother's hospital for many years as a nurse. I suppose I would have been close to retirement, before these troubles began. But then so many people were sick with the infected bites and the black fever...I stayed as long as I could. Truly, I tried. But when Penelope died, poor Whitley just collapsed. Someone had to get him out of there, and people coming in the doors...well, they weren't people any more.

God rest their souls, and forgive me that I wasn't ready to join them."

Lula Belle Ashton's story:
"My father-in-law came staggering in one night from the fields shouting about the trees falling down. I thought at first he might have had a stroke, or at least a heart attack. We tried to take him to the hospital, but the old man was having none of it. He told us he would show us at dawn.

Ti and I were scared, for certain--but not for the right reason. We waited for morning, dreading it, because we thought we were waiting for the final proof that poor old Father Ashton had lost his marbles. By the time we were putting on our boots at dawn the next morning, we had already agreed that he would probably have to go to a nursing home. We had no idea what we were about to see.

Little Misery was the first to see it. She had woken because we were moving around the house before dawn--the child is a light sleeper. Before we could tell her no, she had put on her coat and boots with the rest of us to see what old Theo was saying about the fruit orchard. And when she saw the trees, my daughter burst into tears and stopped in her tracks--wouldn't take another step.

Anyone could see something had gone terribly wrong. The trees were gone. Some of them had toppled over, but others had just become twisted somehow. The trunks were splits and wrenched into tortured, contorted shapes, with boughs that snaked along the ground or clawed up at the sky like skeletal hands. Strange tangles of ugly, poisonous-looking vines had erupted from the ground all around them, spreading out in every direction...looking at them I couldn't help thinking of the pictures I had seen of the Zombie Rot, with the veins and arteries standing out in stark black against pale, bloodless skin.

Father Theo had taken Misery in his arms and now I could see that the two of them were crying together. In his face I could suddenly see the boy he must have been once, a child raised on this land, who climbed these trees and loved them as if they were members of the family. And even while my heart went out to him, I felt ice cold from head to toe."

Journal:
Finished upgrading barricade 1 to medium
42% more done on upgrading barricade 2, about 57% remaining

Skill improvements:
Ben (PC) raised clubs to 41, Colt detective to 7, scout to 7, sneak to 18, and spot to 38
Lillian raised interaction to 36, sneak to 3
Lucia raised carpentry to 4
Lula Belle raised metal-working to 13, scout to 24, sneak to 3
Rowan raised carpentry to 3

Morale:
Ben's hurt -1

0Mq3C.jpg

Two supplies missions and a survivor mission. Since I'll likely try to do another update today, if I don't get suggestions otherwise from Codex I'll do a solo run to the survivors and then do a supplies mission since we're still pretty well stocked.
Food status: 43 used, 247 available

dextermorgan

Arcane
I'd vote survivors for moar barricades (perhaps even lucking out with an actual doc)
Medicine skill! SHE HAS MEDICINE SKILL! This means she can take the "Doctor" job at the fort, which gives an even larger healing benefit than the "Nurse" job, and they stack! A night of rest with a doctor and nurse and Ben should be in good shape!
:smug:

Yeah, moar survivors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom