Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Fallout - VD left, never to return. (Completed)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Been a long time coming...I haven't played this game in almost a decade. So let's have a refresher run through! And perhaps, we may see the sequel LP in the works...and I'll get to kill Horrigan...for the very first time.

:salute: This is where the legendary Vault Dweller begins...

01.jpg

Submit some ideas for my Brian!

02.jpg

The picks aren't finalized. I've only taken some screen shots at work.

Also: Does fraps work with this game? I've only taken some screens using in game F12 and got large sized .bmp format..not what I want for a fast LP posting. And the in game cutscenes can't seem to be capped. :( Gotta bear with it, I guess.

Will update more tonight before I start my BF3 binge. Ta ta! :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No combat skills at all? That'll be a toughy.

If you're looking to maximize the PC Gifted is kind of a must, pretty unbalanced, but it's not like you need it.

If it's looking to be a non-combat build I wouldn't put an extra point in agility. Except for running away I guess.

Outdoorsman is probably the worst skill in Fallout 1. Maybe together with first aid. I'd sooner take lockpick, or if you want to avoid combat maybe sneak.

RK47

Patron
I was quite taken aback at the 60% unarmed skill. It's pretty high y'know. There shouldn't be any issues....I think.

Derper

Prophet
Do you want to showcase every quest, show a different type of approach, talk design or have fun with the game? I guess we all know it by heart, but the goal of your LP makes for different characters...

spekkio

Arcane
This obsolete ancient 2D ancestor of GOTY Fallout 3?

Nigga please...

:rpgcodex:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You haven't played Fallout in a decade?

If you want to avoid metagaming, here is what you might consider doing.

Maximize Intelligence and Endurance.

On repeat playthroughs, one does not raise Endurance at all, but on a first time playthrough, it is advisable. Flamethrowers, shotguns, machine guns, and laser rifles kill you instantly at low END. A high END will allow you to keep playing on, without deciding to leave a place and come back when you are stronger.

Also, you are not sure which skills may come useful and when. So maximise Intelligence. That way, once you change your mind about which skill it is you actually need, you can boost enough points into it, mid-game.

High END and INT are recommended for spontaneous, unplanned playthroughs. You will avoid surprises.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Re: Let's Play Fallout.

RK47 said:
Does fraps work with this game? I've only taken some screens using in game F12 and got large sized .bmp format..not what I want for a fast LP posting.

Ya playin' full-screen? In that case, you might want to use Greenshot. Ctrl+Print catches the entire screen and, after setting the preferences correctly (Settings->Output->Save directly), saves the screenshots directly to the folder you want with the quality you want (jpeg, png, you name it).

RK47

Patron
01 Once Upon a Time in America

00.jpg

00a.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

The US would annex Canada, and the European Commonwealth would dissolve into quarrelling, bickering nation-states,

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground Vaults. My family was part of that group that entered Vault Thirteen.

16.jpg

under a mountain of stone, a generation has lived without knowledge of the outside world.

17.jpg

18.jpg

They call me Brian. Just another face in the Vault. Pre-war I was a technician, always taking apart faulty home appliances and put them back together for customers. For that reason, I always carry my tools around. These days, the Overseer keeps me busy with regular maintenance in the Vault. But this assignment he called me for one morning is special...

19.jpg

vd.jpg
What's up, Boss?
overseer.jpg
We've got a problem. A big one.

I swallowed hard. His eyes are so intense. Not just another leaky pipe, then.

vd.jpg
How big?

20.jpg

overseer.jpg
The controller chip for our water purification system has given up the ghost.
vd.jpg
Don't we have a spare?
overseer.jpg
None. Can't make another one and the process is too complicated for a work around system.

This is grave news. I rubbed my chin. What a way to start the day.

overseer.jpg
Simply put, we're running out of drinking water.

21.jpg

vd.jpg
I assume you have a plan?
22.jpg

23.jpg

vd.jpg
Sure, no pressure. If we can't make another one...then we'll simply have to...
overseer.jpg
You need to go find us another controller chip.
24.jpg

vd.jpg
...before the Vault runs out of water.
overseer.jpg
We need that chip. But I won't break the news immediately or the rest will panic...we'll start rationing water. Buy some time while you get out there...
vd.jpg
Crystal. Where will I be going?
25.jpg

vd.jpg
Not a bad place to start, I think. Give me some time to pack up, boss.
26.jpg

vd.jpg
Don't worry, this won't take long.

I pack what I need, a knife, my trusty tools and some medical supplies they can spare. The Overseer issues me with a hand gun and some bullets from the armory. I was to leave immediately.

27.jpg

I'm ready.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Wonder what's out there...? Did we win the war?

31.jpg

32.jpg

Well. I better get started.

lightbane

Arcane
What, no Gifted?? My inner powergaming self twitches with frustation :decline:
Just kidding, continue with it!!! But don't forget to tag Energy weapons later on...

RK47

Patron
02 The World Outside

vd.jpg
Oh..is that skeleton wearing a Vault jumpsuit? That's not very promising. At all. Hmm, maybe I should get more gear from my quarters...Ahem. *Press the terminal button* Guys, let me in. I forgot something.
01.jpg

vd.jpg
Well, fuck.
02.jpg

vd.jpg
I suppose there's no harm in taking away this poor guy's valuables...eh, what's this?

A small, furry creature approaches.

vd.jpg
I didn't know rats can get that big. Hi, little guy? How's the radiation treating you?

03.jpg

The rat attacks!

vd.jpg
Whoa! Hey, what the fuck?! That's not very nice, Mr. rat...

04.jpg

vd.jpg
I don't want to risk radiation from these pests...let's finish it quick with a bullet!

Brian draws his pistol and shoots the rat.

05.jpg

vd.jpg
Not my fault. Now, let's see what Mr. Skeleton has to offer...

06.jpg

07.jpg

vd.jpg
A knife and some bullets. Handy. Time to head out.

Brian dashed past a few more rats on the way out, finally seeing the light from the outside for the first time in many years.

08.jpg

vd.jpg
Time to set course for Vault 15.

Days later...

09.jpg

vd.jpg
That's odd...this looks like a settlement. Could there be survivors outside the Vault?
10.jpg

vd.jpg
They look like decent folk. Guess I'll comply.
11.jpg

vd.jpg
Hi, Katrina. Tell me more about yourself.
kat.jpg
My life was very boring. I was raised in a Vault. I lived there for many years. Unfortunately, we were crowded and life was very bad. There was a schism, and many people left, taking with them the best equipment. Still, some of us tried to stay in the Vault. But then we were attacked. I was hurt, and I ended up here. Now I try to help anyone I can...
vd.jpg
Where was this Vault of yours?
kat.jpg
It was Vault 15. It's due east of here. We tried to make contact with some other Vaults, but we always failed. I think it was the raiders who attacked my fellow dwellers. Be careful!
vd.jpg
(Not good at all. If what Katrina say is true, then the water chip might not be there anymore...) Hey, Katrina. Tell me more about this place.
kat.jpg
You are standing in Shady Sands. We are but a small town in a large world. We just want to be left alone. Besides, some mutated animals and other creatures of the desert, only the raiders give us trouble. Aradesh is our leader.
vd.jpg
Know anything about the rest of the world?
kat.jpg
I know very little. I escaped from the Vault when it was attacked. Unfortunately, I was hurt badly, and don't remember much of what happened. But Dharma was watching over me, and I was found by the people of Shady Sands. I live here now. Have you spoken with Ian, yet? He is a merchant guard who was hurt. He is recovering in the guardhouse over there. *She points to the east* He is more widely travelled than I.
vd.jpg
(Raiders attack, huh? Guess chances are...V-15 is wrecked to hell. This isn't going to be a straightforward retrieval mission.) Say, Katrina. Where can I get some better equipment?
kat.jpg
You'll have to do like we do. Scavenge it, or trade for it. If you are attacked, your foes might provide equipment, if you live long enough to loot them. We are a peaceful community, so we mostly barter or trade for the items we cannot produce.
vd.jpg
Bartering, huh? Is there any form of currency out here in the wastes?
kat.jpg
We use bottle caps.
vd.jpg
For real?
kat.jpg
Bottle caps are the only common money found out here. The caps are backed by the merchants of the Hub, so you can trade them anywhere.
vd.jpg
Thank for the information, Katrina.

Brian turns towards the male greeter.

12.jpg

vd.jpg
How about some information?
seth.jpg
What do you want to know about?
vd.jpg
Tell me about this place.
seth.jpg
Shady Sands is a peaceful community. We have our own irrigation system, so we can grow our own food. If we were not plagued with raiders and Radscorpions, we would have no problems.
vd.jpg
Radscorpions? What are they?
seth.jpg
Those damn Radscorpions have been after our Brahmin since we moved here. Not a week goes by that someone doesn't get poisoned trying to keep them out of the pens. Last week they took my brother Jarvis. Razlo, our doctor, is looking for an antidote as quickly as he can. Hey, if you have the means to help us, why don't you talk to our leader, Aradesh.
vd.jpg
I might do that later...what about those raiders? I'd avoid them if I can...
seth.jpg
There are several groups of raiders. I organize guards like Ian to help fight them off. There is one band to the south east of here. Watch out for them.
vd.jpg
Thanks for the information, Seth. How about a trade?
13.jpg

Seth doesn't have much for trade...but I took 40 caps for my extra knife. A little wasteland currency wouldn't hurt.

seth.jpg
You should speak to Aradesh, our leader. He likes to meet all of our visitors. He should be in our Town Hall, the building to the south.
vd.jpg
Yeah, I might do that later. See you, Seth.

14.jpg

vd.jpg
Shady Sands isn't much, but it proves that there's a community out there in the Wasteland. I suppose if things don't work out with the Water Chip, we should be able to leave the Vault and learn how to start anew again like Shady Sands did.

15.jpg

vd.jpg
I'm from a Vault to the west. My people are dying of thirst, and I need to find a water purifier chip for them to survive.
ara.jpg
Wanderer, I shall believe you...for now. You may enter Shady sands, but be warned your every move will be watched.
vd.jpg
Can you tell me about the other towns around here?
ara.jpg
Junktown lies south of here, though there is little in the way of visitation. From stories, I'm certain there are cities south of that.
vd.jpg
Thanks, so what's happening in Shady Sands these days?
ara.jpg
Oh my, yes. Great packs of Rad Scorpions are killing our herds. We don't know where they're from, and no matter how many we kill, there's always more!
vd.jpg
Go on.
ara.jpg
And now the monsters are attacking my people! Razlo is trying to find a cure for their poison, but I'm not sure how it goes.
vd.jpg
That's..uh..terrible. I've got to get going now...

The village elder frowns at Brian's leaving form. What did he expect? A complete stranger risking his life for a community he just met? Brian's got a Vault to save, and time's wasting. Before Brian could leave, however, a perky young woman waved at him with a smile.

16.jpg

vd.jpg
My name's Brian.
tan.jpg
Well...how do you like our little town? Bored yet?
vd.jpg
It's fine. What about you? How's life in Shady Sands?
tan.jpg
We got Rad Scorpions!

She beams momentarily, like she's proud of it or something.

tan.jpg
I mean, I know it's not a good thing, but no one's died from the stings. And it's the closest thing to excitement we've got here!
vd.jpg
You like it here?
tan.jpg
It's okay, I guess. I mean, it's home and all, but it's so boring! You know, I want to see the world.
vd.jpg
But it's safe in here.
tan.jpg
Yeah, real safe...and so boring I think my brain's going to leak out of my ear at any moment.
vd.jpg
Why don't you just leave then?
tan.jpg
Me, leave? I wish. I don't know enough to leave alone and no one else wants to go, and worst of all, my father says he would have a heart attack if something happened to me!
vd.jpg
Well, shoot. I have to go. Good luck.
tan.jpg
Thanks for talking. We don't get many strangers here, so it's always good to talk to new people. See you!
vd.jpg
I guess Shady Sand IS kinda boring. I think I'll try to get Ian's help before leaving for Vault 15. Things could get rough in there with the raiders and all...

17.jpg

vd.jpg
Hi, Ian. Name's Brian. What do you do here?
ian.jpg
I was a guard for the merchants of the Hub. However, I was shot during a raid by bandits. I've been staying here, to recover. Still, my knowledge of the outside world and my experience make me useful here. Shady Sands is my home now. Occasionally, I even get to visit Junktown or the Hub to do some trading, since I'm the only person here who has ever really left town.
vd.jpg
Can you give me directions to those two towns?
ian.jpg
Sure. The Hub is a big trading center far south of Shady Sands. It's run by several different caravan groups of merchants: The Water Merchants, the Crimson Caravan, and the Far Go Traders. Junktown is a little south and a ways west. It's smaller, but still a good place to drop in for a drink. It's overseen a fellow by the name of Killian Darkwater, the local shopkeeper, sheriff, and mayor.
vd.jpg
Thanks, Ian. Water Merchants...maybe they can help out with the water shortage in my Vault. Say, Ian, could you help me out a bit? Your experience would be useful.
ian.jpg
Tempting, since this place gets boring. Tell ya what. Standard rates. 100 caps, and you've got a deal.
vd.jpg
I'm a little short. How about a piece of the action, instead?
ian.jpg
No, I don't think so. Come back when you have some caps.
vd.jpg
Well, you got some spare caps? Let's barter for it.
ian.jpg
Whatcha got?
18.jpg

vd.jpg
I've got some nice drugs, genuine, Vault-Tek issue Buffouts and a flare...worth 235 caps, I bet.
ian.jpg
Sounds like good stuff, but I've only got 63 caps with me.
vd.jpg
I'll take those two stims with the caps.
ian.jpg
Alright. Just pass me the 100 caps once we're done and I'll get back in action!
vd.jpg
Deal. Let's go. We're leaving now.
ian.jpg
Where to?
vd.jpg
Vault 15.
ian.jpg
I'll be right behind you, Brian.
19.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
I remember the 1st time I played Fallout, how much time I spent robbing everyone of their caps, then buying what I couldn't steal. Fun times :thumbsup: Too bad your speech is not high enough, I managed to convince Ian to join me for free. Also, no rat diplomacy? :decline:

RK47

Patron
Well, believe it or not, I didn't. I forgot. This is a semi-blind LP cause I kinda forgot about the quests and stuff. Best leave it unspoiled tho'. Probably waste a few in-game time for max immersion, yeah? :smug: My head is dulled by the BF3 rounds anyway.

RK47

Patron
03 Vault 15

01.jpg

vd.jpg
OK, the primary entrance to Vault 15 has collapsed. Fortunately, my PipBoy tells me there's a secondary entrance out...here?
02.jpg

vd.jpg
The fuck is that?
03.jpg

ian.jpg
Careful, Brian..it's one of them radscorpions.

Lesson one: Radiation makes smaller animals grow larger. I let loose a shot, it hits a patch of dirt next to to the radscorpion.

04.jpg

Better keep some distance, that stinger looks painful.

vd.jpg
Kill it, Ian!
ian.jpg
On it.
05.jpg

Ian let loose four consecutive shots, not missing a single one. The scorpion contorts its body in shock before dying, a fountain of blood forming on its feet.

ian.jpg
It's dead. Say, maybe you can poke the venom glands off its stinger tail. Maybe the doc in Shady Sands can extract an antidote out of it.
vd.jpg
Good idea.
06.jpg

I draw my knife and start cutting its tail carefully.

07.jpg

vd.jpg
Well. Let's head on down. Stay sharp, I bet this scorpion is just an appetizer.
08.jpg

ian.jpg
Doesn't look like anything but rats here...
vd.jpg
Eh...just shoot them if you have to. I'm just here to get something.
ian.jpg
What exactly, are we looking for?
vd.jpg
A water chip...it's..uh...oh, shit.
09.jpg

vd.jpg
Didn't know the Vault door can be blasted open like that.
ian.jpg
Well, whatever valuable must've been looted a long time ago, ain't nothing but rats left.
vd.jpg
I still have to check it out. My Vault really needs that Water Chip. C'mon.
10.jpg

vd.jpg
This locker is just like in my old Vault.
11.jpg

Just some flares, but could be good for bartering.

12.jpg

Fucking rats block our path. I blow them away with my trusty pistol.

13.jpg

Suddenly a rat as big as a bear rushes and tears it claw at me.

vd.jpg
Ian, blast this stupid thing off!
14.jpg

Ian's shot took the creature off its feet. It staggers and collapses. But still alive.

15.jpg

Not for long.

16.jpg

:smug:

17.jpg

vd.jpg
We're near to the elevator. We need to get to level 3.
ian.jpg
You think there's still power here?
18.jpg

vd.jpg
Damn. I didn't expect the Vault to be in this shape. *looks down the shaft* We're gonna need a rope or something.
ian.jpg
Sorry, don't have any. Try Shady Sands.
vd.jpg
Wait, let's loot the medical locker first.
19.jpg

20.jpg

vd.jpg
Ok. Let's head back to Shady Sands and get ourselves some rope.
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Uh oh.

24.jpg

vd.jpg
This could be bad...

tindrli

Arcane
shit. i wanted to suggest that you should low your luck and use intelligence and charisma to maximize dialog ..

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why are you doing the fighting when Ian is a better fighter than you - both in Unarmed and in Small Guns?

He is probably 120% in both, which is why he gets Critical Hits so often, even against mutants.

Just use your Action Points for running and let Ian handle the rest. He also has more than twice your HP, so he can stomach the damage.

RK47

Patron
Because it's faster to have two people shoot a rat at point blank with 70% chance to hit? I don't know if it's intentional, but there's really no penalty for having piss poor gun skill as long as it's a regular shot and you're doing it point blank.

Granted, if combat is like Fallout Tactics where you can switch RT / TB when you want to mop up or go tactical, Ian would just clear the whole Vault 15 while I go make a sandwich.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, like that Radscorpion random encounter. You can just start running away to the edges of the map to avoid the Radscorpions, and Ian will keep mopping them up behind you.

I know it's viable for you to do the fighting as well, but we don't want our LPer to get bogged down by trash mobs. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom