Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Battle For Wesnoth - Codex Ironman Edition

Reject_666_6

Arcane
This forum loves tactical, turn-based wankery, so let's give it what it wants!

0001.jpg

Battle for Wesnoth is a simple, open-source TBS that puts semi-importance on each individual unit and allows you to rename it, have it gain exp and carry over to future scenarios.

Perfect for a short LP.

We'll be playing one of the Dwarf campaigns.

Screenshot_000.jpg

There's nobody on the map right now, so we must create and so does the enemy. I'll be recruiting 7 units initially, plus renaming the Gryphon.

Whoever wants to sign up, choose your unit type and a name to represent your unit. First guy who claims the Gryphon gets it.

Here are your choices:
Screenshot_004.jpg
Screenshot_005.jpg

Screenshot_006.jpg
Screenshot_007.jpg

Here's a short tutorial on how everything works:
HP is obvious.
Moves represent how many hexes a unit can move each turn. Attacking is allowed on adjacent hexes and is free once per turn. Each unit has two or three attacks. 6-3 means that a unit attacks three times for 6 damage if it hits, the percentage of which varies depending on the terrain the enemy unit is on + various bonuses/penalties. When you attack, the enemy always retaliates if it can and the attacking goes in turn. For example, if you have 6-3 and the enemy 10-1, you hit once, then the enemy, then you two more times. Ranged attacks can only be retaliated against by other ranged attacks, and melee by melee.
XP is gained after each attack or defence and lot more through landing the killing blow.
Units always get two random perks on creation, giving them some bonuses like an extra hex of movement, less XP necessary for level-up, etc.
Alignment affects how much damage units do during day/night/twilight. Dwarves are all neutral so there aren't any bonuses or penalties.
Units cost gold per turn as upkeep, captured farms generate gold and heal you if you keep your unit on them a turn.

Anyway, I'll get more into detail when the situation calls.

CHOOSE!

PS - this requires virtually no editing, so it won't interfere with the MotB LP.

Big Nose George

Educated
We'll be playing the Necromancer campaign.

fixed

My royal Gryphon shall be called Schwanzlutscher!

PROTIP: since the gryphon can cover a lot of space per turn, it should be moved last to finish of semi-dead enemy units :D

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Wesnoth, this game is damn good. Graphic are really nice and music builds the atmosphere well, and of course it is a turn based strategy meaning instant orgasm :D

It will be fun to watch somebody who try to ironman it because it can get quite random at times.

I will be a Dwarvish fighter.

dragonfk

Erudite
I like to prevent people from removing things from inventories so count me as a Guardsman.

Whilst an enjoyable romp I didn't find it too tactical in the vein of rock paper scissors or am I dummy who didn't explore the mechanics too well?

Looking forward to this one, Reject!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Just two more suckers and we're off!

EDIT: I'll actually start a turn like this because I can get more troops at any time.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
And's here's the first wave of young, dwarven barbarians:
Screenshot_008.jpg

Since Satori said he would be looking forward to this *nudge nudge wink wink*, a scout would be most fitting.

Schwanz moves the most, so he's perfect for capturing farms like mad at first.
Screenshot_015.jpg

Here's our Orcish enemy's early roster.
Screenshot_016.jpg

Most of our troops move downwards because they have MAXIMUM bonus on mountains (70%) and pretty high on hills (60%). Everywhere else they have only 30%, which is very low.
Screenshot_017.jpg

Schwanz moves to the next farm, while Satori advances towards the east to capture the nearby farms. Capturing farms ends the unit's move, so it's best to get them as close the the last hex of movement as possible.
Screenshot_018.jpg

Screenshot_019.jpg

The plot thickens!

With proper tactics and some luck, I could probably end up winning even with only these troops, but I need more to really win decisively. Chef_Hathaway's signed up for next turn already, but WE WANT YOU!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Cannon fodder!
Screenshot_020.jpg

Enemy deployment positions. The fraction next to the actions menu is the turn number.
Screenshot_023.jpg

Semicircle formation GO GO GO!
Screenshot_024.jpg

Though he's the newest recruit, Castanova is the first to see action.
Screenshot_026.jpg

And the first to taste the enemy's blood.
Screenshot_027.jpg

Pushing forward with the lower brigade.
Screenshot_028.jpg

Satori gets a surprise gangbang but lives to tell the tale.
Screenshot_029.jpg

However, aid quickly arrives in the form of Castanova and myself.
Screenshot_030.jpg

The rest follow suit and eliminate the Orc. Schwanz delivers the killing blow.
Screenshot_031.jpg

Another surprise attack on Satori fail utterly as every enemy shot misses. In the meantime, the lower brigade has engaged the enemy.
Screenshot_032.jpg

Killing the archer below, our drunken bastards stalk the roads, preventing the enemy from obtaining the better tactical position.
Screenshot_033.jpg

With Reject weakening the archer, Castanova finishes him off from behind, getting himself the first promotion in the game. Shine on you crazy dwarf.
Screenshot_034.jpg

Our underscored thunderers make short work on the lower force as our troops quickly capitalise on the victory. In the meantime, Schwanz gets deployed to the northwest to intercept the lone wolf trying to take over our farms.
Screenshot_035.jpg

Screenshot_036.jpg

Due to really annoying bad luck, Schwanz manages to kill the wolf but only after missing over 9000 times.
Screenshot_037.jpg

Meanwhile, the Dwarves of Fair Codexia take to the forests again, denying the enemy the trees.
Screenshot_038.jpg

Black_Willow gets attacked downstairs, but with Chef's help, the Orc bites the dust in two thunders.
Screenshot_039.jpg

At the same time, that archer got raped from behind.
Screenshot_040.jpg

Closing in.
Screenshot_041.jpg

Nightfall and Black_Willow gets attacked but manages to pull through. So far I've been VERY lucky, as the wolves missed every shot that counted.
Screenshot_042.jpg

Zdzisiu takes a dump, grabs some cigars for the road, and throws himself on the wolf, farting in its face. Fate worse than death for this puppy.
Screenshot_044.jpg

The siege begins. Their king can decimate any of my units in two hits or less, and he hits thrice, but his weakness is a lack of ranged defence. The thunderers and scouts come in handy for this.
Screenshot_045.jpg

Zdzisiu takes a sip of rum, pees on a tree, spits a couple of times, then knocks that Orc upside the head and gets promoted for bravery in the face of Orc-ness.
Screenshot_047.jpg

To cap it all off, Black Willow delivers the killing blow, and in this post-game screenshot we see him basking in his new-found glory of the Thunderguard.
Screenshot_049.jpg

First level was a cakewalk, 50% because of luck. The Orcs almost always hit during daytime, but almost always missed at night, when it counted most. No Codex hearts were broken so far, so everybody here will carry over to the next level.

Will the dex come out on top this time?!!??!! WILL THEY I don't even

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I'm alive and got a level up in the first battle, thats mighty awesome :D

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Let the second slaughter start! This time, we're allied with those Orcs on the bottom of the map against a large keep of bandits on the north-east corner of the map. This is actually the third mission in the campaign because the second one is just a cutscene that introduces another hero unit to take care of. If he or my character die, it's game over.

For some dumb reason, the game won't let me rename him, so we'll just pretend that he's Azael. They both start with A, so it makes it easier. Azael has an ability that makes nearby level 1 units much tougher and since we still have some of those, it's handy.
Screenshot_050.jpg

We start by capturing that farm, summoning the scouts and Schwanz and some more veterans.
Screenshot_051.jpg

We finish up with recalling the army and capture a couple of farms.
Screenshot_052.jpg

I had to scramble to the mountains to set up a defence there. The Orcs and Bandits start rushing towards each other.
Screenshot_053.jpg

A frontline forms just over the mountain ridges.
Screenshot_054.jpg

The bandits quickly take advantage of their numerical power and knock out a few Orc units. Since it's night and both the Orcs and Bandits are chaotic, they both have damage boosts.
Screenshot_055.jpg

Castanova makes a surprise attack and offs the first bandit. Schwanz also picks off a bandit, hitting twice. The Orcs also do very well on their turn and kill around 4 bandit units.
Screenshot_056.jpg

However, disaster strikes... Defying all probability, Castanova gets hit EIGHT CONSECUTIVE TIMES BY TWO BANDITS! :rage: Only the good die young...
Screenshot_057.jpg

Appalled by the outrage, our raging band of berzerkers move in for a revenge blitzkrieg and Satori avenges his blood brother.
Screenshot_058.jpg

Schwanz lunges in anger at the cloaked figure above him and starts wearing his intestines as amulets. He also ascends to a higher physical form.
Screenshot_059.jpg

The army begins steamrolling the bandit scum.
Screenshot_060.jpg

Morning time, and here's the battlefield.
Screenshot_061.jpg

Satori starts off the morning by cracking a skull, being one step away from promotion.
Screenshot_062.jpg

Some of my slower troops arrive at the battlefield from the west and, in the meantime, Schwanz swoops down and assists the Orcs by eliminating a threat.
Screenshot_063.jpg

Black Willow unleashes the might of Dwarven gunpowder on one of the more dangerous enemies for terrible, terrible damage, killing him in one blow.
Screenshot_064.jpg

The Orcs manage to take out two units in the northern front, with the help of Azael, and they bring in some reinforcements down below. However, their incompetence has allowed an enemy archer to level up.
Screenshot_065.jpg

Black Willow once again busts a cap in dat ass and kills in one hit.
Screenshot_066.jpg

Satori goes forth, and though he doesn't manage to kill the enemy, his fight gave him the 1 XP necessary to take up Castanova's mantle and rise up.
Screenshot_067.jpg

Meanwhile, Azael kills the guy in the farm above, while gangbang tactics are applied against that lone sharpshooter.
Screenshot_068.jpg

KickAss kicks some ass and gains a level.
Screenshot_069.jpg

Now that most enemies have been killed, the besieging may begin.
Screenshot_070.jpg

Azael travels north to finish off Schwanz' handywork and dragonfk also spears that farmer to death.
Screenshot_071.jpg

Screenshot_072.jpg

KickAss just can't help himself and does his name some more great justice.
Screenshot_073.jpg

Time to encircle.
Screenshot_074.jpg

KickAss is on a roll tonight, it seems! Hope I don't jinx it for next mission...
Screenshot_075.jpg

AAAAND to end this excursion in true Dwarven style, Chef_Hathaway shoots the enemy king to hell with a bang!
Screenshot_076.jpg

So far, the odds have been fair. The Orcs took the brunt of the fighting, even though they're weak against the bandits, IMO. Bandit units are incredibly annoying because they hit for low damage but many, many times, so on average they consistently do the most damage. Orcs hit less but more strongly, so it's easier for critical fails to take place there.

This update is in memory of Castanova. May he cast novas in Valhalla forever.
Charles_Ernest_Butler_-_Death_of_a_viking_warrior.jpg

EDIT: Almost forgot the scores so far. I only started counting kill from this mission, so some veterans may not be so well-represented.

Schwanz - 3 kills
Azael - 3 kills
Satori - 3 kills
KickAss - 3 kills
Black_Willow - 2 kills
dragonfk - 1 kill
Chef_Hathaway - 1 kill

No point counting assists, as everybody's been chipping away at the enemies bit by bit, and the Orcs also contributed.

Reject_666_6 said:
Appalled by the outrage, our raging band of berzerkers move in for a revenge blitzkrieg and Satori avenges his blood brother.

Satori starts off the morning by cracking a skull, being one step away from promotion.

Satori goes forth, and though he doesn't manage to kill the enemy, his fight gave him the 1 XP necessary to take up Castanova's mantle and rise up
Bro_Fist_by_Doyora.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom