Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Lets play a jrpg that doesn't suck! [Saga Frontier]

Which of these clowns should be all heroic and kill a few hundred random people for justice?

• Red - The power ranger out for revenge. Zordon would be so envious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue - He's on a quest to kill the only person who can save the world.

• Riki - He's a moron trying to summon captain Planet.

• T260G - Kind of like the Terminator, only sent forward in time with much better weaponry.

• Lute - Totally going to be a famous rock star some day. Posthumously for reasons not related to his

• Aselleus - Being immortal just isn't good enough for kids these days, they have to be all human and

• Emelia - The old tired cliche of a supermodel thrown in jail and breaking out to join a terrorist gr

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murk

Arcane
Lufia 2 eh? I'd be up to play it but fuck i wouldn't have the patience to put together an LP of it. I have a great deal of respect for you guys who actually do these proper.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lufia 2 is long.
Like, fucking long.

Man, back then you got bang for your buck.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm going to finish T260G's story eventually but I'm not going to do the others. I've realised console RPGs are REALLY bad for doing LP threads- all the text comes 2 lines at a time, so you need either 9999 screenshots or to copy all the text by hand- both of which are a giant pain in the ass.

And yeah, Lufia 2 kicked ass. Jrpgs have been getting a lot worse since the PS2 showed up. I can't believe they went from things like Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story to Atelier Iris and Tales of Legendia/the Abyss.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Or download FF7gamescript.txt from Gamefaqs.com or whatever other fansite you can find with Google. Or, my favorite, use your creativity, or I guess lack of creativity, to fill in the blanks.

Murk

Arcane
Jasede said:
Lufia 2 is long.
Like, fucking long.

Man, back then you got bang for your buck.

one of the least impressive games in combat, one of the most impressive in terms of dungeon puzzles

its storyline could have been a lot better too, it had the general makings of some neat DRAMA but then fell short with lack of punch ;(

almondblight

Arcane
Oooh, Vagrant Story, I remember hearing good things about it, how was it? I heard it was really different as well.

Damned Registrations

Combat sucked immensely, but was basically skippable aside from bosses (Which could all theoretically be killed by an unarmed person with starting stats if you were good enough at the annoying timing minigame in combat). Enemies drop weapons and armor mostly, and don't give you exp or anything. There is a pretty cool forging sub game for upgrading equipment, but it requires some grinding to get any real benefit, and that benefit becomes obsolete within 1/3 of the time you spent grinding once you start progressing again. The one upside of the combat was it did have a neat hit location system- you could bash the legs of something and cripple it's movement, or headshot/belly stab it where it had less armor to either crushing/slashing/piercing/elemental damages, etc. If only it weren't tied up in that stupid timed button exercise.

The rest of the game though, is pure awesome. Unique setting, cool characters and enemies, and easily the best graphics on the PS1. And I don't mean lots of bloom, I mean all the buildings and such had a very cool design, and the spells had great animations.

http://psx.ign.com/dor/objects/12288/va ... /vs_4.html
http://psx.ign.com/dor/objects/12288/va ... /vs_3.html

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Didn't Lufia 2 have that optional and ridiculously huge , 100 floors-down dungeon? Talk about some crazy dungeon crawling...

Damned Registrations

You also started with level 1 characters and no items except the uber rare blue chest ones you could only find inside. At least you got to pick your dream team for it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, and IIRC the dungeon was randomly generated each time. Also I'm not sure what the last last boss was like (yes, I reached the last boss, too much time in my hands back then ^^) but i think the battle wasn't what you expected.

Murk

Arcane
^ Yep, it was a pretty neat dungeon. I never got to the last boss (nowhere near enough patience) but i spent hours on that dungeon replaying from scratch a bunch.

Damned Registrations

It was something like a giant slime you only had 3-4 turns to kill then it just suicided and blew you up.Didn't attack until then though. I never got there myself, but I read about it.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
DamnedRegistrations said:
I'm going to finish T260G's story eventually but I'm not going to do the others. I've realised console RPGs are REALLY bad for doing LP threads- all the text comes 2 lines at a time, so you need either 9999 screenshots or to copy all the text by hand- both of which are a giant pain in the ass.

It's not too late to pick another game that you like to play or lampoon.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Jrpgs have been getting a lot worse since the PS2 showed up. I can't believe they went from things like Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story to Atelier Iris and Tales of Legendia/the Abyss.
So I take it you never got to play Tales of Destiny 2/ Tales of Rebirth/ or Tales of Destiny Remake? I liked Tales of the Abyss gameplay wise, though character wise almost all of them were annoying. Tales of Legendia doesn't count, since that it wasn't made by Namco tales studios.

I hope Tales of Vesperia is good, and would also like to see Tales of hearts to come out too.

Sorry if I was off topic. XD

deuxhero

Arcane
^
and haveing played Sympohina or however it is spelled (found used for cheep) and none of the rest I can say it was heavily railroaded (even for a jRPG) had a chessy story (even for a jRPG) that was overly peachy of the power of friendship (even for a jRPG) characters that beyond a single quirk were really flat and only 2 in a good way (even for a jRPG) the biggest "twist" is stupidly obvious long long before the 2nd to last dungeon when it is "revealed" (even for a jRPG) a combat system that quickly devolved into just the same combo over and over again and blocking occasionally (even for a action jRPG), and the 8th party member didn't really DO anything most of the time.

Is the rest any better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom