Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Lets play a jrpg that doesn't suck! [Saga Frontier]

Which of these clowns should be all heroic and kill a few hundred random people for justice?

• Red - The power ranger out for revenge. Zordon would be so envious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue - He's on a quest to kill the only person who can save the world.

• Riki - He's a moron trying to summon captain Planet.

• T260G - Kind of like the Terminator, only sent forward in time with much better weaponry.

• Lute - Totally going to be a famous rock star some day. Posthumously for reasons not related to his

• Aselleus - Being immortal just isn't good enough for kids these days, they have to be all human and

• Emelia - The old tired cliche of a supermodel thrown in jail and breaking out to join a terrorist gr

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Lute's entire story can be summed up as:

Leave home planet. Go to this other planet. Go to another planet. Find out who the big bad is. Go to his fortress and kill him.

Destroybot and Red are the only two characters/scenarios that I enjoyed in this game. Maybe Blue too, I don't think I played his story for too long.

Jasede said:
I thought this was about Earthbound.

Jasede, can you start an Earthbound LP thread as you are the only other guy that has ever managed to complete an LP thread?

jaylittle

Scholar
Wait.... there is such a thing as a jrpg that doesn't suck?

/me ducks and covers

Badgermaster

Educated
AzraelCC said:
I'm curious, is there a jrpg with actual C&C?

SMT: Nocturne had some, though, if I recall, it mainly just affected which of the 4 or 5 different endings you got.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
As we return, our intepid heroes have begun the search for Thyme. Descending into a busted up thing in the crater, we find this:

01.jpg

Wow. Actual free roaming enemies. Since they're worth practically jack squat and I've only got one fleshbag to train right now, I skip by most of them.

02.jpg

Or try to. However my timing sucks after all this time and I end up slaying half their goons. Sucking out one mec's brain after the battle results in this:

03.jpg

Now we can dominate the fleshbag populace by putting them to sleep. Or we could just use that bazooka.

After a little while we catch up with Thyme, whose hat we found earlier and didn't mention because we deleted the screenshot.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Thyme.jpg
: Respect Caballero? I'd rather die!

Boss guy: What? You little brat!

*Violence*

Living dead guy: You didn't kill him did you?

Boss guy:What? Of course not!

Boss guy:Uh, you ok dude?

06.jpg

T260G.jpg
Lifeforce detected.

Gen.jpg
Thank god. he's alive. You're lucky, if anything had happened to time I'd have had you for lunch. Now get our of here.

07.jpg

OMGWTFBBQ! The drunk guy has a crooked tree root or something. Watch out!

08.jpg

Apparently it's an iron pipe. Thats close enough to a sword that we can finally use some of those sword skills that were in his abilities screen. After the battle Gen uses his sword to hover in the air and cut the rope with his laser penis.

09.jpg

He's probably a robot or something too. No need to ask about it.

10-1.jpg

Later, we have a heart warming discussion about how T260G should be Thyme's slave forever and ever.

11-1.jpg

So we get sold for scrap metal.

13-1.jpg

Gen.jpg
Thats what he wanted. He got a free ride and they even paid us. Here, take it.

Rose.jpg
He did this for us?

Gen.jpg
He's a mec so I don't think he did it out of gratitude. He must have figured out it was the right thing to do. Don't worry, I'll take care of him. Now I'm going to talk to Cabellero.

Thyme.jpg
Can we really trust you Gen?

Rose.jpg
Don't drink anymore!

Gen.jpg
Ok ok no problem. Take care.

And with that, Gen joins us on our epic journey to go beat the shit out of that mob boss for revenge.

14.jpg

It should go well since he won't be drinking anymore.

15.jpg

Well, much right? Doesn't matter if it's on the trip.

16.jpg

Right! Well, a bar will have random people we can sucker into working for us too right? So why not. This bar we're in is one ofthe 5 upgright buildings in our new town, Scrap. No we weren't just in Scrap, that was Junk. We've upgraded you see! We also can't return ever. Which is good, because those little shits were annoying.

The bar has all sorts of ameneties, like half the main cast of the game. Not sure why they gather in some low life bar in a shit town, but whatever. It also has the band from star wars:

17.jpg

T260G.jpg
Hey gen, how did you use a pipe to cut down Thyme anyways?
18.jpg

Well fuck you. Lets try talking to some other people.

This guy notices that we're a walking antique after we start chatting him up.

19.jpg

20.jpg

We'll go check him out later. Right now we need some badass fighters to help us out, like those clowns in the upper part of the bar.

Riki: Look! A chunk of iron!

(Well, fairly accurate, admittedly.)

They join up with us because they think Cabellero is an asshole and want some revenge too. We also chat it up with some blue haired loser in the corner, but he just sits back down. Maybe he'll write a song about our epic tale.

Alright, we got a couple of bullet sponges now, lets go kick some ass!

21.jpg

T260G.jpg
Lets go.
Gen.jpg
Get me another beer.

Well, since this conversation just keeps looping like this forever, I guess we can't escape the bar. Must be the end of the game. Winnars are us!

slipgate_angel

Scholar
I was supprised when I stumbled upon this thread, because I've been wanting to try SaGa Frontire for a while now, though I never got around to getting it. If anybodies ever played before, do you require to do grinding? I know the SaGa games are different when it comes to character progression, but I've tried to play the PS2 version of Romancing SaGa, and it seemed impossable to progress with your character.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
If you want to play a jRPG then play Star Ocean 2. Or Earthbound if you don't mind the graphics. Saga Frontier has some grinding if I recall correctly. The game suffers from inadequate development time but even then I would consider it an average if not mediocre jRPG.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Grinding is advisable if you don't know what you're doing, or really want to use humans and mystics primarily. Mecs just need gear though (Which grinding won't get you, just explore shingrow and you can outfit a badass mec easily, theres also the ingot trade which can net you a few powersuits), and although monsters gain some permanent benefits to gaining new skills, they can potentially leapfrog to some crazy endgame forms very early. I like having buff humans though, so I usually grind the swamp with instant death skills. Everything there will die to either petrify or instant death very easily, so you can take your humans from losers to end gamers in one clear, takes maybe an hour and a a half.

Also: Damn you. I was ignoring this because nobody was replying. Now I need to update again.

Murk

Arcane
slipgate_angel said:
I was supprised when I stumbled upon this thread, because I've been wanting to try SaGa Frontire for a while now, though I never got around to getting it. If anybodies ever played before, do you require to do grinding? I know the SaGa games are different when it comes to character progression, but I've tried to play the PS2 version of Romancing SaGa, and it seemed impossable to progress with your character.

some quests require a lot, others don't require much.

in lute's quest -it's nothing but grinding till the final boss as he has no storyline, in other quests (like Red's) most of the battles come to you during the actual plot

in t260g's case, not at all - as mecs upgrade by equipment only, so you can jump from level 1 to 99 in power as soon as you get a new part

almondblight

Arcane
How are the other Saga games? Unlimited Saga seemed pretty cool from what I saw, very different from other JRPG's.

Korgan

Arbiter
Anyone ever heard of Septerra Core? It was made for PCs around 2000, I guess. Awesome art direction and kinda fun (if grindy) combat where you can sneak past random encounters and meet the next boss at lvl 35 instead of 40. No, try it, srsly. I quite liked it when I was.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
almondblight said:
How are the other Saga games? Unlimited Saga seemed pretty cool from what I saw, very different from other JRPG's.
Well it is, but at the same time it isn't as easy as any of the Final fantasy games. You get to do quests in any order, plus like in D&D you don't go up a level until you finished the quest, and even then that's done in a completly different manner.

A lot of people will tell you that the game sucks, heck I even admit it could be better in some areas, though once you know how things work, it's actually quite fun.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
When I saw this thread, I immediately thought it was a let's play of Lufia 2. Oh well.

Please continue your LP, dude. IF YOU DARE!!!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Who said my LPs are dead? There's only two of them and neither is six feet under. They're just resting! Resting! Updates might be sparse and stupid but at least they ENDURE! Give me a month or so and I'm sure I can finally take us over to Costa Del Sol. I would have put out a whole truckload of updates but stuff happened and right now I just can't.

Also I'm still trying to become Surfin' Dude President of the United States of America!

That said, please take a look at the newest update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom