Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's be a pagan in CK2

Well there is a CK2 LP running already, but I've been toying with the idea of trying the game as a pagan and to see were that will lead to. And since it's would show off a different aspect of the game I could possibly turn it into a LP. My idea so far after some consideration is to start the game as Harald Godwinsson who historically was the last of the Saxon king of England, until the took an arrow to the eye. While generally starting as a King would make the game rather easy, and as a result the resulting LP would be rather uninteresting and boring.

However considering the starting situation were England is facing two simultaneous foreign invasions it's not even certain that I will be able to hold on to the Kingdom for long. I've tried previously as Harald Godwinsson and failed miserably. So it's highly possible that I will loose the throne and will have to work my way back up to king. Even if I hold on to the Kingdom with my planned path it is not going to be easy. As I intend to convert to Norse Paganism it would likely lead to constant and widespread rebellions through out the Kingdom for a long time. Combine that with the fact that I'm likely to get crusades and holy wars on my ass simultaneously there is no guarantee for a long game. It is in fact highly likely that I will lose everything.

ck2_56.jpg

So if any one is interested this would the starting position. 15 september 1066 AD, playing as Harald Godwinsson. Facing two foreign armies intent on usurping his throne. With an army large enough to barely beat one of them, to poor to afford mercenaries, and no allies.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Converting to Norse Paganism is going to be extremely hard. Pretty much the only way to do so is to marry to a daughter of Erik the Heathen, and have her raise your son so he gets his mother's religion (and incidentally, culture most likely).

XenomorphII

Prophet
Good luck. Especially on converting to Norse Paganism. If you do manage to pull it off though the British Isles is a great place to be a holy war target for Catholics, as most of them won't fool with you (spoken from the perspective of Lollard Scotland).

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, Northern Europe (due to being far away from major Central Euros, and having plenty of neighbours to absorb to prepare for them) and Caucasus (just generally far away from Christian powers, and Cumans start with a pretty huge realm) are pretty much the only safe locations for being a Pagan. Though on the other hand, you'll have a shitload of troops as a Pagan. Problem is the French are gonna be pounding your ass with Holy Order dick when you're right next to them.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Yea, Northern Europe (due to being far away from major Central Euros, and having plenty of neighbours to absorb to prepare for them) and Caucasus (just generally far away from Christian powers, and Cumans start with a pretty huge realm) are pretty much the only safe locations for being a Pagan. Though on the other hand, you'll have a shitload of troops as a Pagan. Problem is the French are gonna be pounding your ass with Holy Order dick when you're right next to them.

Well if he gets the entirety of the Isles under his control, he should be able to eat the holy orders alive with sheer numbers. Also not only will he get more troops (I am guessing from warrior cult?) but since he is Saxon he will have their cultural building for better, and more, archers.

curry

Arcane
I thought the new patch makes it possible to mod locked religions playable.

From change log:

- Religion groups are now marked playable in the religion file (no more hard coded rule)

or did I just misunderstand that?

Vaarna_Aarne

Haven't patched yet, my Karelia campaign is not yet completely over (I extended time to 1500 for teh lulz, 36 years to go), but yea they should be easy to activate now. I think Merk's just trying to get fancy here.

Cassidy

Arcane
qzejb9.jpg

Deaths star on horizon
Lightning and rain
Black winds and thunder
The skyline is in flames

Written in the red mist
The sign of the one
Who rides deaths cold wind
And walks disguised among

All you vagrant souls
Of profane disbeliefs
False prophets and deceivers
Shall swing from the trees

Soon the dawn shall arise
For all the opressed to arm
A chariot of thunder shall be seen
And bronze horns shall sound the alarm

Fists will raise like hammers
To a cloudy black sky
Bonds and chains fall to the ground

Children of all slaves
Stand united and proud
All people of bondage shall triumph
And live by the sign of...

Blood Fire Death

The moment is chosen
The Battlefield is bare
Take now thy stand people
The true ones don't fear

Now choose your weapons
And fall in the line
Choose well your colours
And follow the sign

Blood for all tears shed
And Fire for hate
Death for what shall become
All false ones fate

The standard bearer is chosen
And the day has just begun
Shadows growing long by the rising
Of the awakening sun

Fists raise like hammers
To a clear sunny sky
Bonds and chains fallen to the ground

Children of all slaves
Now united and proud
All people of bondage now triumph
And live by the sign of...

Blood Fire Death

Children of all slaves
Unite be proud
Rise out of darkness and pain

A chariot of thunder and gold
Will come loud
And a warrior of thunder and rain

With hair as white as snow
Hammer of steel
To set you free of your chains

And to lead you all
Where horses run free
And the souls of the ancient ones reign

Kayerts

Arcane
I endorse dedicating an LP to the Allfather, but your odds of converting to the Viking Way are low; it's likely to be a Catholic game for the first 30-50 years, at least. If you want a Norse LP, why not start as an actual Norseman? Maybe one of the independent chiefs?

If you stick with Godwinson, surviving the invasions is quite doable. The most obvious method is to send your second son off on a heroic quest to bang the Kaiser's daughter; the alliance you'll get from that will allow you to sit back leisurely and watch as the numberless legions of the HRE scour your enemies from Albion. Alternatively, William the Bastard's fleet is only sufficient to transport half his army across the channel at a time, whereas the English fleet is not so limited. If you time it right, you can intercept the Norman army between landings and crush them with minimal losses. At that point, you can probably defeat the Norwegians in the north (though beware the river crossing). If your numbers are too depleted, get your war score vs. William to 100% and force him to pay restitution for his invasion, then use that money to hire mercs to deal with Hardrada.

Well yes the part I'm most concerned about is the whole conversion thing. I managed to do it playing as the count of Jämtland, but then there were pagans available of my own culture so cultural change through education was not an issue I had to deal with. I may have to result to a bit of cheating in the way of save editing to get the whole thing going properly, or perhaps simply change my country. There is single county in Ireland that starts with Norwegian culture as an example, could start as that since then culture change to Norwegian would not be in issue.

1. William the Conquerer

ck2_1.jpg

Alright let's start this up. We start in the year 1066 as Harald Godwinson historically the last Saxon king. Let's see if we can change that. We have no allies currently and our ruler is fairly poor but we do have a rather large kingdom at our back so it should be possible.

ck2_2.jpg

Haralds wife Ældgyth provides us with no alliance, nor does she have desirable stats that helps our King to rule. Let us see if we can't send her off to the after life and find a new wife.

ck2_3.jpg

Sadly there is no one of power that is currently willing to back our plot. So this will either have to wait or end with an ordinary assassination.

ck2_4.jpg

A look at the laws of England. It's currently a Agnatic Primogeniture meaning that only the eldest living son may inherit. Also we have medium crown authority which provides a good balance of power for the King and realm stability. Not going to change anything here for the moment.

ck2_5.jpg

Before we start rushing into any battles I notice that the heir of England is unmarried. Perhaps a marriage can result in a useful alliance?

ck2_6.jpg

An alliance with the Emperor? Well it certainly is worth a shot. Hopefully he will back us up if we call on him.

ck2_7.jpg

She is a bastard child, but she does have an inheritable claim on the HRE. Though it's not likely that we will ever be capable of pressing that, but it's worth it just for the alliance.

ck2_9.jpg

A betrothal is also arranged with our eldest daughter and the King of France. I'm not sure if he would back us up against one of his vassals, and it may also be foolish as his heir may thus end up with a claim on the English throne.

ck2_10.jpg

Actually I settled with marrying of the heir to a princess of Navara, and a younger son to the sister of the emperor.

ck2_11.jpg

Looking our economical situation. We are losing money fast, so waiting for the Norwegian army to weaken from attrition is not an option.

ck2_12.jpg

Due to the rivers in the area the attack will happen from the North in order to not give the enemy any defensive advantage from holding a river.

ck2_15.jpg

All three marriages/Betrothals are accepted. I choose the gold as we are rather short on money currently.

ck2_17.jpg

The current religious situation in Europe.

ck2_20.jpg

Marry one of my brother of matrilinieally? Don't think so.

ck2_21.jpg

As the English army approaches the Norwegian an Norman force lands in Middlesex.

ck2_22.jpg

The battle begins.

ck2_24.jpg

When the Norwegians finally break we have lost nearly a third of our army. Not good at all considering the size of the Norman army.

ck2_25.jpg

That is a pretty good victory.

ck2_26.jpg

While the Norwegian threat is ended the Norman army has grown to 10000 strong. Quite worrisome.

ck2_27.jpg

The last of the Norwegian army is pursued and destroyed.

ck2_30.jpg

The Norwegian King despite having lost his entire army refuses peace.

ck2_31.jpg

I'm not sure if our army can deal with this enemy. Let's see if any allies are willing to help out. The Emperor will hopefully lend some aid.

ck2_32.jpg

Well fuck you.

ck2_35.jpg

The emperor is good to his word at least. We will have to see what aid he lends however.

ck2_38.jpg

Well the Norwegians accept a peace offering now at least. As it is a white peace they retain their claim on the English throne. But an invasion only by Norway should be manageable. Should we survive that far.

ck2_40.jpg

I decide to set up across a river in hopes of the defense bonus might do something. Sadly there is just no way I can afford any mercenaries right now.

ck2_41.jpg

I'm thinking the extra diplomacy will come in handy to keep the realm together as King Harald is not especially gifted in that department.

ck2_43.jpg

Well thats certainly not good. And the Emperor has gone off on a little war against the Pommeranian pagans. Doesn't look like we will getting any help from him currently.

ck2_44.jpg

ITZ coming, the moment of truth.

ck2_47.jpg

Well this doesn't look good.

ck2_49.jpg

It's a defeat, though not that bad considering the numbers.

ck2_50.jpg

The Normans don't pursue, but instead they stay and siege the province.

ck2_52.jpg

The garrison left is so small that we should be able to assault the province and take it back.

ck2_55.jpg

The assault is successful and the levies disbanded.

ck2_58.jpg

A look at our enemy. Well thats some good stats and traits. Especially considering that most starting characters are rather weak.

ck2_61.jpg

As you could see he had a claim on England. I believe an assassination would put and end to that and the war. However the odds are so poor that it is simply not worth it.

ck2_62.jpg

The Normans have moved on. Re raising all the levies to take back the lost province. We might not be strong enough to meet them head on in battle, but maybe attrition and time will be able to do it.

ck2_63.jpg

Well our heir has kicked the bucket at the ripe old age of 19. I wonder if it might have been foul play involved. Perhaps one of his younger brothers.

ck2_65.jpg

Time to retake Oxford for England!

ck2_68.jpg

:rage:

This will make our vassals hate our guts. Essentially making the likely to rebel. Something thats not needed in the middle of a invasion.

ck2_70.jpg

As the Normans head for our army, it simply disbands and sneaks off.

ck2_71.jpg

And then begins to reorganize as the Normans are occupied with another siege. Home field advantage. We might just win this even with out or useless allies.

ck2_72.jpg

Bedford is liberated.

ck2_77.jpg

Another attempt at making a stand, also with a good defensive position.

ck2_78.jpg

Actually no, we ran away so bravely instead. The enemy is not quite weak enough yet for direct confrontation. Also the kings eldest Daughter comes of age and is ready for marriage.

ck2_79.jpg

Well your were useless as an ally. You frogs are all alike.

ck2_81.jpg

And then the bugger wants us to join his war. Well there should be no harm in doing so as an enemy landing in England is unlikely. It will also make him like us more so that he may answer a call to arms.

ck2_82.jpg

Nope. Bloody French.

ck2_85.jpg

Why does this only happen to us? Oh and look who finally got of his fat old arse and decided to help out.

ck2_87.jpg

Well the Norman army is no more. Time to bring this fight to the enemy.

ck2_88.jpg

The Normans land another army, but now that they only have their own levies to rely on they are not nearly as dangerous.

ck2_91.jpg

Actually the war is so much in our favor now that the enemy accepts defeat any how. Thus he loses this claim on England and pays a us 200 gold.

ck2_92.jpg

Well so much for William the "conquerer", but it looks like we may have a civil war instead. Notice the Duke of Lancaster he controls pretty much half of England, such a rebellion would be very bad. Something will have to be done to weaken such powerful Dukes.

ck2_93.jpg

And this is why our vassals hate us. I might need to hand out some land.

ck2_94.jpg

Maybe if I could get rid of the excommunication? Hmm no.

ck2_97.jpg

But I could possibly avoid giving out to much land, I like those odds.

ck2_98.jpg

Hmm no.

ck2_99.jpg

Still no.

ck2_101.jpg

Well that certainly was better. Good by useless bitch.

ck2_102.jpg

Time for a new wife!

ck2_103.jpg

I decide to go for some one based purely on stats and not alliances of inheritance as that is not the biggest issue at the moment.

ck2_104.jpg

I hope the prestige hit will be worth it.

ck2_106.jpg

Shortly after one of vassals declares independence. Well as long as it is only the duchy of suffolk it should be doable.

ck2_107.jpg

And the new Bride arrives. With her stewardship skills added to that of our King the demesne limit is raised from 6 to 8. Now I will have to give out less land, quite good.

ck2_109.jpg

I decide to give out a county in the de jure Duchy of Somerset which has 3 provinces. That way the count can not become a Duke and get a claim on the remaining provinces ruining the vassal - Liege relation.

ck2_110.jpg

Dorset is by far the poorest county so I'm going to give it out.

ck2_115.jpg

My spymaster is set to discover rumors currently. I've never seen this before let's see what it leads to.

ck2_116.jpg

50 gold, not bad.

ck2_117.jpg

The Suffolk army is rather small so not much of a problem to take care of.

ck2_118.jpg

Next a messenger from the Pope comes knocking. First he sanctions invasions of my realm, then he excommunicates me. And then he expects me give him power inside of the realm? Forget it. In fact forget Catholicism it has not brought us anything good!

ck2_124.jpg

As you can see the Duke of Lancaster controls the majority of the realm. A rebellion from him would be very bad.

ck2_129.jpg

The kings new Wife certainly delivers.

ck2_130.jpg

Our rebellious brother surrenders, and order is restored for now.

ck2_131.jpg

Now is the time to build a few upgrades in the demesne with the accumulated funds.

ck2_133.jpg

I consider revoking a title from the Duke, but in the end it would be rather pointless.

ck2_134.jpg

Break with Rome and become a Heretic? Interesting, thought I'm not entirely sure. There may be other plans for the future...

Vaarna_Aarne

Anyway, just deal with being Swedish.

not really sure what you are getting at there, bro.
That was to Merk. He should already just get some Swedish pagan wenches from Uppland to his court and have them educate children for Norse religion.

Though he could just cheat, it's easy to switch ruler religion and culture with cheats.

Luzur

Good Sir
well i let the Pagan duke of Jämtland take care of one of my sons, and he went pagan, so that works.

otherwise you have to get back to coding again, vaarna.

Vaarna_Aarne

No, there's no need to edit save files for religion change. Just use the cheat "religion ____" with the code name for the religion to switch the ruler's religion (you can do the same thing with culture, by using the "culture ______" cheat). The thing Merk was concerned with was that there's a large chance that the Swedish-educated Saxon children change to Swedish culture (which is likely to happen when a foreigner educates).

Kayerts

Arcane
I tried an independent game last night. It turns out that being an independent Norse jarl kind of sucks. The inability to wage holy wars on anyone makes the whole Viking thing tricky; plus, there's some inherent hilarity in how rigged the game is in favor of the Christians. After multiple failures against Sweden and Norway, I gathered up my bros and attempted a Viking conquest of Ireland. Literally the first, single-county enemy I tried to bring my 6000-strong horde against hired the Templars. Vikingbros cannot catch a break.

Merk, would you mind if I tried my own Norse LP? I'd be starting as an independent count on the Swedish border, so it would be all kinds of fucked up, and probably in a different way than yours.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm posting my LP of Duke of Karelia -> King of Finland soon. Playing as a Pagan CAN be done, but only if you can build up a strong kingdom before Christians come knocking.

Naturally I wouldn't mind, you do whatever you like. I'd probably end up reading it.

Any way continuing this in a few minutes. Rebells, rebells everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom