Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KOTOR - Taris Review Ala Crappily Written

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I agree. The NPCs in KOTOR are some of the best I've seen in quite awhile. Jeloo is probably one of my fave NPCs ever in an RPG. As far as Carth goes, it was a matter of trust. Put yourself in his shoes and I think you might have reacted the same way he did. Plus, even in the timeline of the movies, alot of the regular grunts didn't put too much trust in the jedi until towards the end.

I think it's just that because it's a BIO game, someone has to find something to bitch about. :P

Voss

Erudite
In general I agree, though I don't think Zaalbar has much character beyond lets-have-a-wookie. And I find Juhlani to be an annoying combination of Jaheira and Aerie: pompous, arrogant whining. But the other six are very well done, even if Jolee is an annoying old fart.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Otaku, I don't think it has all that to do with it being a BIO game (though that doens't help). I think it's more the fact that RPGCodex *is* about finding a game's weakness - any weakness - and, hammering it home. Then again, as long as BIO decides to add lame ass stuff like the turret game; theyd eserve to be hammered. :x

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Otaku, I don't think it has all that to do with it being a BIO game (though that doens't help). I think it's more the fact that RPGCodex *is* about finding a game's weakness - any weakness - and, hammering it home. Then again, as long as BIO decides to add lame ass stuff like the turret game; theyd eserve to be hammered. :x

Well, I was being a bit sarcastic about that, but I see what you're saying there. The game does have problems, I agree, but I just think people are pointing out non-existent problems and making a big deal about them. I never had a problem with Carth. Yeah, so he whines, but considering the environment and what he's gone through, I understood why. I used him through most of my first time through the game simply because he was a bad-ass when given two really good blasters.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Voss said:
In general I agree, though I don't think Zaalbar has much character beyond lets-have-a-wookie..

He was a waste of space, I got alot more use out of the droid (not HK-47, the other one).

What I am surprised about is that peope arn't taking the HORRIBLE LS ending to task. Don't spoil anything peeps, but that was just one of the worst endings to anything ever. The ending to Super Contra gave me a warmer feeling.

The DS ending was just ok.

Edit: Neither ending address what what happens to the NPC's or your personal subplots. Just aweful.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
VD, maybe Carth doesn't spill his guts to you right away sicn ehe doesn't trust you enough right away. :roll: Do you tell people you don't trust all the sordd secrets fo your past, and yes I *know* you have sordid secrets. :lol:
lol I don't see a big deal about his "secrets". The fact that he served under Saul who bombed his planet should be well known to anybody who payed attention to the war. Same goes for Ordo war stories.

kumquatq3 said:
So just because one joke fell flat or because a person stepped out of charactor (which is entirely human) for a second, that damns the NPCs? I am a bit foggy on your stance here.
I don't mind the NPCs overall, I like HK-47, being a translator he's more proactive, I like Jolee a lot, and I learned to tolerate Bastila's attitude. What I do mind is the approach Bio took in regard to them. Like I said before, attaching some stories and making you wait forever to hear all of them doesn't mean that these NPCs have depth and that they ar way better then ToEE's "meatbags". Forcing you to talk to NPCs is not exactly depth developing experience either.

If you mean does Carth act like you would expect a cliche war hero to act? No he doesn't. He is more dynamic than that. Possibly ::gasp:: Bio was trying to make him appear human and frail, yet still be a soldier.
Imo, he would be more "human and frail, yet still a soldier" if he would show fear, traces of loyalty to his old commander (without they killed my family cliche story), being torn between the loyalty to the republic and the loyalty to his officer, etc, but that's just my opinion.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kumquatq3 said:
What I am surprised about is that peope arn't taking the HORRIBLE LS ending to task. Don't spoil anything peeps, but that was just one of the worst endings to anything ever. The ending to Super Contra gave me a warmer feeling.
I agree, I'm just waiting for most people here to finish the game. Let's give them till the end of the week

Edit: Neither ending address what what happens to the NPC's or your personal subplots. Just aweful.
Precisely. See my post above. They aren't developed as well as PST's NPCs were, and that's the difference between well done NPCs and meatbags with side quests.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
VD, a character having torn loyalties IS a cliche. Stop trying to make cliches to replace cliches. Also, I just simply feel the npcs in KOTOR are more than meatbags with sidequests. That would be NWN, or even worst TOEE.

Otaku, nah, I didn't really use him. My fave to use in my party was Bastila. It would usually be Bastila, myself, and one other except when i couldn't have her.

And, shh people. I still have the Starf Forge to do... I just landed on it..

kumquatq3

Liturgist
And, shh people. I still have the Starf Forge to do... I just landed on it..

If you are playing the LS.....well, I can't spoil the ending for you. As there is nothing to spoil. You willl stop and say out loud "Thats It !?!". It is a poor poor ending to a good good game, and something I think really does hurt it.

+ since the rumor is the sequel to KOTOR will not be connected people wise (it is to be set far in the future) to the current KOTOR, you will never get the satisfaction of find out what happens to everyone/anyone. It just sucks and it makes me mad that they were sooooo damn stupid about it.

As I said tho, the darkside ending is worth seeing IMO, but it won't make up for anything.

Voss

Erudite
On the sequel rumor... I'd almost be willing to put money on HK being in the sequel. People seem to like him, and it could still be unconnected 'people'-wise.

I haven't gotten to the ending either (though I've ended up using a dark side character- I hit Korriban (which I hadn't done yet, light side), and then rushed through the other worlds, which I'd already done the other way. Now I'm enjoying the quiet beach-front property.

So no recap? Sucks. And not just the party NPCs, I'd like to see the near future for Kasshyk, people like Griff, how badly I screwed up Manann's ecosystem, etc...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. I just finished.. I'll say one thing the Star Forge has the toughest battles in the game.. though, I think I had a rought time with Malak as my character wasn't built for a particular option(s) in the end game.

The ending was okay; but I agree it would have been great to see various endings for the different planets depending on how you handled each one; as well as the npcs.

Still... nice... time to play it again..

As for the sequel, we'll have to see how it turns out with Obsidian collaborating with BIO works out.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Having HK-47 as the connection to the original in an eventual sequel would make sense, from a Star Wars point of view.

Personally, I didn't really mind the LS ending, even though I would have liked some variation depending on my actions. It kind of reminded me of the first movie, which I doubt was accidental. The DS end was nicer though, I'm a sucker for unhappy endings.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
The ending was just so generic and unacceptable for a modern RPG, IMO.

Most action adventure games have deeper endings.

Voss

Erudite
Finished too. Dark side. Hee.
All things considered, wacking Bastilla's head off would seem prudent.
By the way, anyone know if you can find anyone that runs off when you return to the Hawk? I didn't want to waste time poking in all the corners on the planet, if it wasn't possible.

Volourn, end game options? There were options?
Or are you referring to the bit with the droids? I just turned around and unlocked the door and wandered through. I assume it was an annoying puzzle of some sort. Odd that I could just cut out of it though- Malak seemed to think it was a big deal.

Kumquat- I agree. The ending was bad. It reminded me WAY too much of the end of Jedi Knight I (II? Whichever). And the overall plot had shades of the NWN OC.
Rakata = Lizard nutjobs (Others races, conquered slave races in prehistory)
Bastilla = Aribeth.
Find the four lost maps... On the other hand, it was done/written a lot better than the OC.

A few more options path wise, would be nice as well.

But overall, I liked it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, not the droids. Here goes, *spoiler* for those who didn't finish the game yet...:

I didn't have *any* force powers toe ffect the captured jedi (eitjher positive or negative) so I basically had to sit there and fight him. That was really tough, and long. I think I used more super meds, and grenades there than I did the entire game before hand. WOWSERS.

As for the droids, I use just used the computers to stop them or else they just make new ones. I didn't even bothe to check the door. Heh, I gave Malak too much credit, I guess. Droids were easy anyways. I think I tooka total of tend amage during that entire fight. Malak, for me, was easiest the th=oughest fight in the game and definitely one of the more challenging (if not one of the least original) end boss fights I've encountered.

I agre that there are definite similiarties between KOTOR and NWN OC; though there is no doubt in my mind that KOTOR is better.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
I didn't have *any* force powers toe ffect the captured jedi (eitjher positive or negative) so I basically had to sit there and fight him. That was really tough, and long. I think I used more super meds, and grenades there than I did the entire game before hand. WOWSERS.

The same problem plagued me when I first encountered him, but then I realized I DID have a force power that worked on the captured jedi.... Throw Lightsaber. Go figure. You couldn't walk up to them and whack them, but you could throw a lightsaber at them. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I'm an idiot... :( :( :( I swear I tried *all* my jedi powers inclduingt hat on them. I ahve a svae just before entering the room. I'll see if it works as you say. I do know one thing, without throw lightsabre and the super grenades and the super stims I saved up; he'd have been *impossible*. And, he *never* misses. Thank god for the battle items that lessen damage as otherwise he does 20+ dmaage per hit.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Hmmm.... maybe they changed it for the PC version. I did think that being able to use Throw Lightsaber on them was cheesy considering they wouldn't let you just whack them. But then I just figured you were using your force power to guide the lightsaber through the barrier around the jedi. Then I realized I was making up excuses and stopped. :P

A friend told me that he used Force Jump on them as well, but I never did try this out as the second time around I had Force Lightning and that did wonders. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, I justs uck. It works with ease. geez.. that would make the fight much easier. I swear i tried my force powers. Hmm.. Oh well.. What's funny it took a good 20+ minutes just to beat him. :roll: :twisted: :roll:

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Volourn said:
No, I justs uck. It works with ease. geez.. that would make the fight much easier. I swear i tried my force powers. Hmm.. Oh well.. What's funny it took a good 20+ minutes just to beat him. :roll: :twisted: :roll:

I had the same damn problem. I didn't know you could use medipaks when you are inventory either. So, here I am pluging these damn things into myself while Malaak is swing at my head. .....it was brutal. But I won! I heard that mInes actaully work well on him.

When I played as a DSer I just force drained those jedi, two at a time.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
If you are a DS, then Drain Life or Death Field is the best to use, since it will then restore both your health and Force power.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom