Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Serus

Arcane
Patron
There's a chest near bed at tavern where you can sleep. Is it safe to stash loot there and can you get it back?

Maybe, but anything you leave there you won't be able to get until chapter 4 so it hardly matters.
Do you find so much loot in late game? Because you certainly don't in 1st half of the game to make it problematic. You can sell everything to every merchant anyway. Just buy all the bags (normal ones at least) and chests/boxes whenever you can, they're "free".

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Do you find so much loot in late game? Because you certainly don't in 1st half of the game to make it problematic. You can sell everything to every merchant anyway. Just buy all the bags (normal ones at least) and chests/boxes whenever you can, they're "free".

You do, with the extra content, even if you sell the useless loot, getting your old equipment back from the crypt turns into a filling containers mini-game...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
TIL you can get infinite EXP (30 at a time) from the Chaos chest in Moon Crypt.

Feels like I’m back in Dane Tower.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, which one of you is this?
2jG4br9.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Alright, which one of you is this?
2jG4br9.png
I attempted once to discuss with someone like this on steam's kotc2 forums (or maybe it was comments to a review) but this is pointless. You can make arguments that the price is too high but Vogel's games? Seriously? Even if in the past some of his games were good, Vogel sales model was and is completely different. He makes and sells a lot of games that are often reusing assets and are overall less work intensive than KotC2. And this guys even go with AT MOST in upper case latters. Vogel's game would make a better comparison with future official modules for KotC2.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Yeah, if he is comparing it with disco elysium, Pierre is doing him a favor not changing the price. Imagine the butthurt when he sees the tutorial. lol.

Does this look like a kobold to you?
eLAuEFS.png

Yeah, I would romance the hell out of this one. lol

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Tweed Does this look like a kobold to you?

Also, is it just me or has the music gotten better? I'm hearing new tracks being played that I've never heard in original backer version. That's pretty cool.

No, not even if you squint. Pierre said he'd be getting more paperdolls later, but I don't expect it to look any good given what the updated kobolds look like.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
He's right though, buying at this price point is rewarding bad behavior, the only way Pierre is going to learn is through pain, the pain of having a 24 hour peak of 15 active players on steam.

Sacibengala

Prophet
He's right though, buying at this price point is rewarding bad behavior, the only way Pierre is going to learn is through pain, the pain of having a 24 hour peak of 15 active players on steam.
Last that I've heard is that he's incapable of learn.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
the pain of having a 24 hour peak of 15 active players on steam.
That number doesn't factor in the fact the game was out a couple years ago for kickstarter backers or those who got the game by emailing him. Plus there's GoG users too.

This title is going to be super niche no matter how you slice it. Given that there is very little hope in grabbing a mass market, the best bet for profit is to charge as much as the niche would be willing to pay.

I think it's a fair price and many backers paid more than that. The fact is, there's basically nothing that's really competing in the same niche as KotC2, except arguably the Pathfinder games if played in turn based mode. But even then, KotC2 has more options for tactical play such as grappling, etc.

Since it's highly unlikely that Pierre can compete against the Pathfinder graphics or budget, it looks as it is and his best bet is to just own it and look for the people who actually want this type of experience, not just +1 RPG for the backlog and monocle harvesting.

tl;dr It's a fair price, buy it and support actual quality RPGs, you shits!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Turn based tactics isn't that niche and neither is 3rd edition D&D.

Sure, turn based tactics is less popular than the mainstream genres, but it's not 51 people small. Battle Brothers peaked at 8k online and had long periods where it was hitting 2-3k peaks every day, with a home brew system, no magic, 2d sprites with no animation and no legs. And it had a $29.99 price most of the time although there were some sales.

Obviously not every game can expect that level of success, but Pierre chose to make his game overly niche with his design and marketing decisions, like gameplay based on reload spamming, a tiny hideous interface, pogs for graphics and a $44.99 price.

Obviously there's a huge audience for D&D based games as Pozzfinder illustrates.

Of course only a small percentage of those people would buy a more prestigious game, but it's still possible for a developer to tap into some portions of that audience if his game is marketed and priced right. Heck, the Pozzfinder devs actually promoted KOTC2, so it was definitely a possibility that some of those people would buy a well done D&D combat simulator.

But $44.99 + current marketing is outside of impulse buy range for most people who are interested in the genre but not specifically familiar with the Dev. It's a huge leap of faith to shell out that much for a game that *looks* prosperian in every respect.

Saying "this game is limited to a niche audience, therefore we should overpay for it" is whale mentality and it rewards bad behavior, encouraging the Dev to continue sabotaging himself. That's how you end up in the same situation that war gamers are in.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The game doesn't looks like it would justify the bad Europe and USA pricing. People buy based on first impression. When they see token and/or the bad graphical asset, the first impression is shovelware. If not for knowing KotC1 and Codex badge of approval, I would never think to buy this game especially if it's at USA/WE pricing. People would never know the quality of the gameplay, thus 1st impression is important.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turn based tactics isn't that niche and neither is 3rd edition D&D.

Sure, turn based tactics is less popular than the mainstream genres, but it's not 51 people small. Battle Brothers peaked at 8k online and had long periods where it was hitting 2-3k peaks every day, with a home brew system, no magic, 2d sprites with no animation and no legs. And it had a $29.99 price most of the time although there were some sales.

Obviously not every game can expect that level of success, but Pierre chose to make his game overly niche with his design and marketing decisions, like gameplay based on reload spamming, a tiny hideous interface, pogs for graphics and a $44.99 price.

Obviously there's a huge audience for D&D based games as Pozzfinder illustrates.

Of course only a small percentage of those people would buy a more prestigious game, but it's still possible for a developer to tap into some portions of that audience if his game is marketed and priced right. Heck, the Pozzfinder devs actually promoted KOTC2, so it was definitely a possibility that some of those people would buy a well done D&D combat simulator.

But $44.99 + current marketing is outside of impulse buy range for most people who are interested in the genre but not specifically familiar with the Dev. It's a huge leap of faith to shell out that much for a game that *looks* prosperian in every respect.

Saying "this game is limited to a niche audience, therefore we should overpay for it" is whale mentality and it rewards bad behavior, encouraging the Dev to continue sabotaging himself. That's how you end up in the same situation that war gamers are in.

I think you make a few good points and it's true that Pierre could have priced somewhat lower in order to have tried to reach the sweet spot of maximal rewards. I'm sure he tried to. I suppose my main point is that I don't think the sweet spot is as low as some seem to think it is and that even if he priced it at $2, this isn't going to reach some sort of critical mass like Minecraft or Angry Birds or something.

I'm not sure that 3E D&D or hard turn based tactics are as popular as you seem to think. The Pathfinder games had two or three things going for them that KOTC2 doesn't: RTWP that reminded people of the Infinity Engine stuff, pretty pictures, arguably licensing. Yet, people whined about the difficulty, the fact that it was more complicated than the Infinity Engine games, etc. Even games that are more popular like the nu-XCom stuff got there in large part by being relatively easy and streamlined/dumbed down compared to the originals. I think in order to turn this corner, you'd have to look at what people tend to say about the original Fallouts now. (Hint: many of them can't believe that anyone wanted to play them and figure Fallout starts at Fallout 3). Really where I'm going with this is that the exact type of content that appeals to people about the KOTC games (character building, approaching encounters and trying to figure out how to solve them with the abilities and resources the party has) is exactly what you're talking about shaving away in order to make more money.

I won't pretend to speak with experience on exactly what happened with the war game market, however, tastes do change. That stupid Dragon Age tactics minigame they used to promote the release of Origins years ago was ridiculously easy. I sent feedback saying it was a lot of fun, I just wished they made the hardest difficulty actually challenging. Later, Bioware discussed the feedback received and it was overwhelmingly that the game was too hard on normal. So... YMMV, but understand that the vast majority of people, while (perhaps) not being borderline retarded, aren't very good at tactical thinking or attention to details that is important in this sort of game. In order to appeal to a broader market, you start grinding down the difficulty and appeal of the game to its niche. I think it's been pretty clear since the beginning what sort of game Pierre was keen on making.

On top of that, the fact that it's coming with a complete toolset to build your own dream adventure, perhaps with a far more relaxed difficulty and/or some nicer art assets also warrants consideration.

The niche audiences aren't being punished or rewarding bad behaviour. It's a simple fact of business that if you're chasing a niche market segment that has a very small amount of people, you need to charge more and roll the dice that that niche will be underserved enough and want it enough to pay for it. If you want broader appeal, you can design with those considerations and a lower price point. You see this all over the gaming industry. Do note though, that I'm not at all suggesting that there aren't things that Pierre could have done/could do to try and broaden the appeal of the game. I'm just not entirely convinced that changing the price is the highest priority on that list.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I think some miss an important issue. What I, as player of KotC2 who like it the way it is, for the most part - want? Because personally, as long as Pierre gets enough to pay for his roots and make new contents, I don't care that much about his sales. The question is obvious - will he get enough money with his legendary marketing skills? If the answer is "yes" then there is no problem for me. It would be nice if he could earn good money on this, I like the man for making those games but i like even more those games staying the way they are in the future. Saying that i don't mean technical aspects but then being niche and NOT appealing to wider audience. Even Pierre, as crazy as it sounds, could someday succumb to decline. He wouldn't be the first indie developer. Maybe not considering his... personality but entropy consumes everything so better be on the safe side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom