Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
It didn't load, try again.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't care how much slower it is, I care that it means I can play every game with 8GB without any perf impact. My point is that 8GB is enough for every game out there, and will be enough for KCD too. Also because the game still has to fit shared 6GB of consoles, whereas on PC there is 8GB of system RAM and (in my case) another 8GB of video RAM.

ok I understand. You know that the game only needs 8 GB, but it wants 16, so you just help it.

Can you post the rest of your specs?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't hotlink to 4chan, download and upload to imgur

GogvX7e.jpg

gQilp5E.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It took me a few seconds to realize the first picture was a game, mostly due to the DOF blurring the texture under the foliage which would've been a obvious giveaway.

Was Mafia 2 really that bad compared to the original?

It was a lot worse than original, yeah. Most of it was a movie with little bits of actual gameplay sprinkled here and there. Gameplay itself was also worse, popamole decline. Forced cover system with no other way to crouch. And writing was more edgy tryhard with story that didn't make a whole lot of sense and completely unsatisfying ending.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
What is this nonsense about 16 GB Ram? I'll be running this in 1440p with 8 GB Ram, SSD, and a GTX780!

Have you actually come to believe the official recommendations? They always include a safety cushion.
I highly doubt you'll get a reasonable framerate at 1440p with those specs. A video was posted a few pages back of a guy with a gtx 1080 ti and a i7 6900k. He had framerate drops in crowded areas while running the game at 1080p with very high settings.
So unless they worked very hard on optimising the game with their day one patch, I fear the recommended specs will struggle with 1080p even on medium settings.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I don't care how much slower it is, I care that it means I can play every game with 8GB without any perf impact. My point is that 8GB is enough for every game out there, and will be enough for KCD too. Also because the game still has to fit shared 6GB of consoles, whereas on PC there is 8GB of system RAM and (in my case) another 8GB of video RAM.

ok I understand. You know that the game only needs 8 GB, but it wants 16, so you just help it.

2500K@4ghz, GTX1070

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
More impressions, this time from XBOX X1.

Basically in line with the previous ones.

Well I played about 5 or 6 hours of this game on my Xbox One X once the 21.75 GB Day One update a.k.a. actual game install (since nothing but 162 MB is installed from the disc) and my conclusion is that this is a good game overall but not without some issues.

For one, the game is stable but the framerate is certainly not a consistent 30 fps on console. There is very noticeable judder when panning the camera and the game goes from feeling smooth indoors, where there's obvious less to draw, to being a bit jerky outdoors. It's not unplayable but if you're sensitive to framerate variance then you will definitely notice it. There are also graphical glitches; I saw what looked like black outlines flickering around buildings a few times and some janky weirdness with camera angles in a few of the cutscenes.

Otherwise, visually the game is pleasant rather than stunning. going for a more realistic look to the world such that buildings and the countryside tend to look samey because they are all in the same locale. Character models are acceptable; some look quite good, especially in the cutscenes, but others can look alarmingly last generation, not helped by some poor facial animations and that classic "dead eyed" look. It's leagues ahead of, say, Skyrim but not quite up to the benchmark standard set by The Witcher 3 IMO. Once I got used to that though, then I started to appreciate the attention to detail elsewhere; you have a physical body in this game, you see your hand closing/opening doors (and as far as I am aware they only open/close one way unlike many other games that have doors that open in *and* out!), when picking up items in first person (collecting plants is shown third-person for some reason) and so on. There's a real sense of being the person you are playing and I really like that. Of course, it's not without hiccups such as occasional clipping but it's certainly a cut above other first-person games IMO. Impressive.

Combat is interesting. There's an attempt to make the fighting more realistic than other RPGs and it works well for the most part, relying on stamina and strength so you cannot just keep repeatedly stabbing buttons to win. Fighting with your fists also feels very different to using a sword, as you would expect, and it works well in first-person. I did have a bow but couldn't work out how to actually fire it I'm embarrassed to say! Everything you do in the game, increases some stat of other; speaking to people in a positive way increases the Speech ability, collecting plants increases the Herbalist ability, fighting increases Strength and so on. Pretty much like how a Bethesda Elder Scrolls games works.

The first few hours of the game have a lot of cutscenes but thankfully the story and writing is good and the voice acting mostly decent with some characters being better than others but that's par for the course in any modern RPG. The only voices I found jarring where the American accents but to be fair even English ones are really out of place since this is set in mainland Europe, in the kingdom of Bohemia, not the England anyway. The numerous cutscenes are well done apart from the odd camera hiccup (as mentioned) and the dialogue mostly well-written. The opening section has a set number of quests that need to be done, which introduce you to the game mechanics, but the choice of how to do them is surprisingly varied. For example, I watched a walkthrough while the game was installing and I played it in a totally different way to that YouTuber (ESO). Characters react to what you've done, how you look (for example commenting on if you are dirty from a fight!) and you get different dialogue choices and things you can do depending on the progress of the quests. You also need to eat and sleep. Food you collect can apparently go off although I haven't played that long to come across it. You can get dirty and there are places you can bathe! I washed myself in a trough for example but was told that I'd need to take a bath to get fully cleaned!

Of course, the opening section is set within a small area and eventually leads to a pre-set situation that takes you to the next part of the game. This section I had issues with as it is basically (without wanting to spoil it too much) where you have to get a horse and then ride to the next town. This section was immensely frustrating because you are being pursued and the horse has stamina which eventually runs out. You cannot just go anywhere either, you have to go to this specific town and, obviously, being new to the game I had absolutely no idea where that actually was. If you slow down, which happens because the length of the ride is longer than the horse has stamina for, then you get shot and can die here. It took me five attempts to complete this, not helped by the fact that the game auto-saves at a point before you reach the horse so you have to repeat lengthy sections each time. You can save manually here though before the chase but that was something I only found out after dying several times. I found this section very poorly executed and annoying to be honest because it is forced on the player and there is no way to avoid it. There is no choice in how you can tackle it; you cannot fight the pursuers, you cannot take a different route, you have to stick to this one route and hope that you reach the cutscene trigger point to the next town before you get killed. Utterly horrid IMO.

After a brief section in this new area (which you can explore more if you want) and several more lengthy cutscenes, you then head to a certain location and the game's cinematic opening credits appear (yes, five hours into the game!). After that you seem to be granted more freedom from this point on to explore and do quests. There's a lot to like about this game; the attention to historical detail is really impressive (with a HUGE Codex section that constantly adds new things as you come across them), the story and cutscenes are very good and the focus on making the game more realistic makes it stand out from Oblivion/Skyrim which it otherwise resembles in many ways (minus their magic/fantasy elements). The combat is interesting so far, I've not played enough to properly comment on whether it's good or bad overall, plus the game has options to avoid combat if you choose to play it that way. In fact, early on in the game a character specifically mentions talking your way out of situations rather than fighting.

I think the game shows a lot of potential from what I've played so far. It's not perfect, the game was made with a $5 million budget, I believe, so there are plenty of rough edges to be seen in every aspect of the game; NPCs can get stuck on scenery, they can clip through each other and the framerate isn't great but the ambition on show is very commendable and it's definitely a cut above "low-budget" RPG fare like, say, ELEX and the Risen franchise. The game world, for the most part, feels like a real place and it's easy to get immersed in it, something that is essential for any good RPG in my experience. There are some oddities though, perhaps as a result of trying to make the game more realistic (yes, that word again) and that it that there is surprisingly little loot that can be picked up apart from food. There are lots of chests but almost all of them are locked, requiring lockpicks and a mini-game to open. I got a lockpick at one point but could not work out how to use it (duh!) so I suspect the contents of most of those chests is going to be out of reach until I figure that out. Dead guards can be looted for armour and weapons but most dead NPCs seem to have two items, usually food of some kind. Most barrels cannot be looted and I've yet to come across any money from robbing houses or chests. Some people may welcome that though; sometimes there's a tendency to have too much loot to collect in games but here in seems too much the other way. Six hours in and I still had no real money for example (there is a bartering system however that allows you to sell stuff against bought ones).

The one thing that stands out in this game above all other RPGs I've played is how much the developers have tried to make everything in the game world realistic in some way while still allowing for role-playing elements. This may not be to everyone's liking, some may find the game dull because of the focus on realism and historical accuracy, but I am finding it very interesting so far.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It took me a few seconds to realize the first picture was a game, mostly due to the DOF blurring the texture under the foliage which would've been a obvious giveaway.

I thought it was comparison between a real picture and the in game version of the same scenery.

Xeon

Augur
I hope Coh likes the game, he doesn't mind if a game is janky or whatever if ends up overall good, he liked and recommended ELEX even when he said its janky. Tho I hope the game isn't that buggy, he stopped Seven from ex CDPR or something and recommended people to wait until the game is patched and get it on sale.

Burning Bridges

2500K@4ghz, GTX1070

CPU is a bit crap but that should be all right. the extra GB's of RAM should be for holding world data and instances of objects like people, trees, animals and apples. So if you can configure models and terrain preload radius in the options I don't see how the scenes shown in the video would require such an insane amount of RAM. I mean real sims like DCS can run with 8 gigabyte and render entire 500x500km areas.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can somebody provide a link? We should all register at resetera

I tried like a week ago but their system refused all my throwaway emails lol. They really mean it with filtering out dissenters and disruptive elements and creating a safe, productive, friendly and totally non-nazi environment.
so that pretty much explained how bad the groupthink hivemind there.

At least with the codex's anything goes rule it attract some weird characters tike to time but it is free and not a fascism

Burning Bridges

I tried like a week ago but their system refused all my throwaway emails lol. They really mean it with filtering out dissenters and disruptive elements and creating a safe, productive, friendly and totally non-nazi environment.

What is your email? I hope not something like NaziNazi@rpgcodex.net

(which probably explains why my own registration is still not approved)

no seriously. I assume they don't accept any new members at this point. Everything else would be an invitation for 4channers to troll the shit out of the place, probably they already stand in queue to slowly, very slowly heat up that topic :lol:

Ganimoth

Novice
That framepacing though, ugly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom