Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Oh, ok then. More or less the same conditions still apply.

I think that they got at least one party interested and wanting to see further before fully committing. What they went through according to the blog post is too much hassle for an original pitch and considering the explicit details he gave, it sounds like they preparing tofollow up on previous pitches.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
New blog entry:

http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_025&lang=en

It sounds like the man is in for a clusterfuck of management. And that he hasn't hired the most suitable people for his vision. It will be sad to see this go down burning.
Uhm, he is just writing about common stuff that happens when bunch of people work on a game project.

Also producers do most of the management. And he's got ex-Altar guy for this job who is behind UFO trilogy, Original War, also behind some desktop RPG(s?) and partially behind Codemaster's Flashpoint.
This is nowhere near to burning or vaporware, guys.
It sounds like the man is in for a clusterfuck of management. And that he hasn't hired the most suitable people for his vision. It will be sad to see this go down burning.
The man managed to create and produce two very successful and world renowned videogames. You managed exactly what?
as far as I know he wasn't producer on these. He was designer, writer and director
and it's not even funded and in full production at this point.
sauce plz. i smell bullshit
it's been a while since they try to pitch it to different publishers (April-May?), so it is kind of depressing that they still haven't worked it out.
imho it is more like they have the deal and are a bit on a publisher's leash PR-wise
not Mafia 2 :troll:
Yep he just made the first draft of the screenplay and left the company some 2 years before release. Also contributed a bit to design

Last edited:

Read the blog entry again. They are struggling to put together a vertical slice of sorts and haven't secured funding. They can't be in "full production". They don't even have a publisher at this point, yet.

You're lacking some serious reading comprehension there.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I've a feeling this is eventually going to end up in the claws of Kalypso Media.

Smejki

Developer

Read the blog entry again. They are struggling to put together a vertical slice of sorts and haven't secured funding. They can't be in "full production". They don't even have a publisher at this point, yet.

You're lacking some serious reading comprehension there.
You are lacking proper information.
Well, I've read the Czech original which doesn't point at the direction suggested by you. Maybe the English text is messed up somehow meaning-wise, I wouldn't be surprised. As someone mentioned here I agree that the blog entry is somewhat pointless and adds no new info, just a bit of details to things already known. He is way behind actual state of events in these entries. He is describing events from ~March (estimation, lazy to check) in this entry. The vertical slice was finished(!) in that ~March. He wouldn't fucking start his Tour de Pitch de US of A if it wasn't finished. Basic logic! And now is late September (time of writing of the blog), man. They opened bunch of new positions few months back which most probably means they are in full production. You really don't start hiring for every (every!) imaginable non-late-stage game-dev position unless you are long done with vertical slice and are in full production. Yes, the full production and publisher deal was never confirmed. Yet you are acting as if it was confirmed that it is still not the case. Where the hell did you get that? Where does he say that?

I am acting like it was confirmed? Ahem:

I think that they got at least one party interested and wanting to see further before fully committing. What they went through according to the blog post is too much hassle for an original pitch and considering the explicit details he gave, it sounds like they preparing to follow up on previous pitches.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. It sounds like you are mistaking me for yourself.

Smejki

Developer
All right, folks. New interview with Dan (creative lead) and Martin (producer). Both co-owners.
The made it to the photoshop torture chamber and on the cover! of some... thing... I've never heard about (but it says it is a supplement of one of the biggest newspaper here, so). Anyway.
here - http://www.floowie.com/cs/cti/17509538735254256bf2692/#/strana/1/zvacseni/100/
the interview itself starts one page 14

There is nothing new, but let's have some summary:
- Console games used to (5 years back) outsell PC copies in orders of magnitude, due to piracy of course. This ratio has gotten much better thanks to digital distribution, yet consoles are still more financially viable, but PC is significant again. Also piracy is a concern of publisher, not the developer. So bye bye, DRM-free (aside from Steamworks), if publisher is a cunt.
- They were being discouraged by majority of people every time they were working on some ambitious project (Hidden and Dagerous, Mafia 1) and it isn't any different now. "Who fucking cares about Jan Zizka and the Hussites out there in the world?"
- Although the game is being made with CryEngine they implement significant portion of their own unique technologies (which do have impact on player's experience, so not talking about in-house tools)
- Mafia 1's budget was ca $1M (one!) and was made by team of roughly 30 people, now they are talking about tens of millions although they only talk about "industry standard" not about this particular project. Dan said several times in the past they aim to be cheaper and more effective competitors to western devs. So something like CD Projekt who were able to build own tech and monstrous RPG for some 15 (20?) million in 4(?) years while most of the West struggles to fight for survival with selling millions of copies of safe-bet, so-so-quality, badly designed, simple, film-y, easy, highly restricted linear games (my words, not Dan's)
- They have the biggest problem to find good programmers, all other positions have more than enough applicants. Most applicants are for music and art (although finding good 3D artist is a tough fight).
- Kickstarter and F2P are mentioned as the two biggest revolutions in the industry and that every old-type dev and publisher is nervous as hell awaiting the outcome of it. Star Citizen and Minecraft are mentioned for crowndfunding part of the revolution and Wargaming.net and whole Chinese market for the other.
- Skyrim is again mentioned as the biggest competitor, told to have sold 16m copies.
- Again has been confirmed that this is historical RPG (no fantasy)
- Final budget, devtime and sales plans hint: "Regarding this project we have such image in our minds: If we sell over 1 million copies the income will be twice the investments. The game is to be developed in 2 or 3 years which means yearly return of investment is about 30%."
- Their investor (one Czech billionaire) aims to create a valuable gamedev company, not to create just this one project. If this project fails to return the investments they won't cease to exist.

So that should be it.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heh, Dan looks like a dwarf warrior, the other dude like a certain teenage human mage :)

But Jeeezus, what's with all the scantily clad female warriors everywhere? Can you imagine swordfighting in that miniskirt? Let alone the hair! I had long hair once, it was hard to walk down the street on a windy day FFS! If all women fought like this, they'd had gone extinct long ago and us dudes would have to clone ourselves to survive, among other things...aw shit, fuck my imagination.

Smejki

Developer
Yeah, the cover is horrible. the magazine's artist must be some incredible piece of shit, or someone who told him/her to create this crap. Considering they are talking about Hussite Wars era and historical game there it is even more ubelievable they chose to go this way. Dan must be very happy about it LOL.

Smejki

Developer
fucklol! the text on the cover even says they are now making a game about Hussites, yet there is this horrible cheap nord-like even-way-below-bethesda-level chick. Oh, Jesus.
and no, she is not bound to some other topic in the magazine.
More-Awesome-Than-A-Double-Rainbow_4663-l.jpg

Smejki

Developer
"Regarding this project we have such image in our minds: If we sell over 1 million copies, $40 each, the income will be twice the investments. The game is to be developed in 2 or 3 years which means yearly return of investment is about 30%."
FIXD

Oesophagus

Arcane
Final budget, devtime and sales plans hint: "Regarding this project we have such image in our minds: If we sell over 1 million copies the income will be twice the investments. The game is to be developed in 2 or 3 years which means yearly return of investment is about 30%."
Their investor (one Czech billionaire) aims to create a valuable gamedev company, not to create just this one project. If this project fails to return the investments they won't cease to exist.

What smells like Kingdoms of Amalur?

I hope they do better, but you know, deja vu

Smejki

Developer
Hmmm...
I see two main differences
a) they have strong leadership with huge experience in game development

- amalur team was a bunch of talented lower-level people lead by a "idea guy"

b) their investor is independent on their success (he's mainly into energy and natural resources industry I think). Yeah he might change his mind if this project turns out to be a massive failre in every aspect. If it were just financial failrue, I don't believe so.

- if I am correct, amalur team was financed by a retired baseball player from his savings. Well, that is a finite volume of muniez. And the pond dried out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
its good to see women protecting men in today's society.

also, Dan looks a bit like Norwegian master-vocalist Garm.

ColCol

Arcane
I'm too lazy to keep up. How is the project looking possibility wise? It it going to happen, or is it still up in the air?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'm too lazy to keep up. How is the project looking possibility wise? It it going to happen, or is it still up in the air?
My feeling is, it is going well (see info about hiring people and neutral-positive info about their talks with publishers ca. 9 months ago) and it will be officially revealed within 6-9 months (pure speculation). As for whether it will stay true to its original objectives is a moot point at the moment.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, I wish them luck for their tour-de-force-pitching, but I'd like to hear more about the current state of the game, or at least what they are aiming for.
Their original ramblings sounded interesting, and I would like to see what came out of them over the course of the project.

Then again, considering that publisher meddling is probably about to start soon, it might be too early for that.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The fact that they think story and character are secondary says it all to me, my interest plummeted right then.
redding teh hard??

Daniel.Vavra said:
The thing was, everyone had been asking lots about the thing I had thought would interest them the least - the background story and the development of the main character. I must admit I had been expecting questions about the wow moments and not that at all, and it was basically a pleasant surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom