Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deuxhero

Arcane
Maybe. The fact that's it's obvious only because of that really tells a lot of why you shouldn't do first person melee combat.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I love how the only alternative to retarded fantasy crap is retarded grim/dark Game of Thrones shit.

:roll: Because we have so fucking many RPGs in realistic and historic medieval setting... loads of them... fucking carts full of them waiting in front of my house...

Also, why to even mention GoT? That is fantasy setting...

XenomorphII

Prophet
I love how the only alternative to retarded fantasy crap is retarded grim/dark Game of Thrones shit.

:roll: Because we have so fucking many RPGs in realistic and historic medieval setting... loads of them... fucking carts full of them waiting in front of my house...

His point (I think) was that having an evil pope, evil bishops, and having all nobles be whiners and traitors is hardly realistic at all.

Personally I would prefer since they are using a more realistic setting if the characters would be of varying dickishness with some being relatively decent, some being generally good but misguided, and some being loathsome bastards of the first order (and all in between as well).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Press RT to Riposte. +M

Moar awesome buttons please.
Hey, don't worry, the modern trend seem to be heading to a place when you do not even have to bother pressing the button, the game presses it for you when you are to busy admiring the tire textures to do it yourself, so as not to frustrate you and hamper your progress overmuch.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

His point (I think) was that having an evil pope, evil bishops, and having all nobles be whiners and traitors is hardly realistic at all.

Personally I would prefer since they are using a more realistic setting if the characters would be of varying dickishness with some being relatively decent, some being generally good but misguided, and some being loathsome bastards of the first order (and all in between as well).

Hm, wonder what was realistic then in XIII-XV century central Europe. Anyway, that was not my point. If you decide to do historical RPG you would not set the story in the time of peace all fine and dandy. What would you do in game? Sowing crops? Selling pigs? You need some interesting reference in history, like in this case Hussite wars. And it was a bloody affair with all the war, bloody battles, persecutions of Jews, Beguines etc. Church had his share of blood on its hand, Hussites their own etc. Can't see what's so unrealistic about that.

Daniel.Vavra

Warhorse Studios
Developer
If he is intent on making a good action RPG with a believable world Gothic 2 is the game he should take inspiration from, not Skyrim.

I am a bit worried if he sounds like he wants to woo a publisher by promising to make the next Skyrim, though it looks like Daniel is keenly aware of many of the pitfalls of modern gaming. Hopefully it would mean no quest compass, no hand holding, no thousands of useless objects to pick up, an emphasis on gathering clues yourself instead of NPCs spelling out everything for you, and other such tropes associated with Bethesda.

I have to say, that it feels rather weird when people are talking about someone in 3rd person, while the person is actually here. Feels little antisocial.

Gord

Arcane
Hey Daniel.Vavra, I found your blog entries about world design in games/rpgs quite interesting to read.
Any chance we might see an update now that you have worked some more time on the game?

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I hope you guys sign with a publisher that lets you talk about development more openly, I'm sick of the usual marketing cycle for games.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Severalblogs will be about the pitching to publishers and other siimiliar stuff. Then we will get back to development stuff if things go right.
BTW, are you guys working constantly (like full-time) on it (like buliding assets and stuff), or is it now the time that you are focusing on pitching things that you got for some time? I am asking because you mentioned that you've had things more or less finished for vertical slice around the end of last year, and we are now closing to the end of the first half of 2013.

So, are you just improving vertical slice for pitching to more publishers, or are you already further down the line in the production?

MCA
Daniel.Vavra how much are you looking to secure from a publisher deal? Could you not take this to Kickstarter? Even under the best circumstances with a publisher deal, you will lose most if not all rights to your game and will only see a fraction of the profits. Then your publisher will contract some shit studio to release serialised shit DLCs and you will not even see an ounce of those. Plus everytime you want to release an update or an add-on (free or not) or even mod tools, your every move will have to go through the publisher.

Even that brief video looks pretty good and if your vertical slice has the right amount of content and polish, I'm certain you could attract a relatively huge number of people to your project, provided your goal didn't exceed a few million dollars. That particular genre, that of medieval-analogue open world sandbox is basically uncontested and therefore sort of a (big fat) niche. I can't imagine that kind of KS pitch going unnoticed.

Gord

Arcane
I'd imagine that developing a fancy open-world a(?)RPG with CryEngine (and therefore high-end graphics) takes much more money than a Kickstarter could safely provide, at least if you don't have big names to back it.

hiver

oh... so this is a case of vaporware.

dam it, you could have said so earlier!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From the blogposts I've read it seems this thing is pretty fucking unique, in that noone ever attempted anything like this before. Ergo this is huge risk for the Vavra guys, it can end up being a Dear Ester-class hiking simulator or an awesome, authentic medieval experience.

To all the Codex crankers who are shitting on this just because it's not Wizardry 7 fuck you I say. A healthy RPG diet is about playing all sorts of stuff. And we haven't had a great open world first person RPG since the Gothic trilogy.

Here's hoping Dan you'll strike a good deal with a non-retarded publisher.

(inb4 Warhorse assimilated into the EA collective)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
J7uKEFh.png

That looks to me like he's receiving the blow on the flat. You can even tell by the hand raised back to tilt the sword.
to me it doesn't. the blow isn't coming from the front but from the top/front, which is the direction towards which the edge is raised.
slashing a steel helmet is pretty derp, though.

MCA
J7uKEFh.png

That looks to me like he's receiving the blow on the flat. You can even tell by the hand raised back to tilt the sword.
to me it doesn't. the blow isn't coming from the front but from the top/front, which is the direction towards which the edge is raised.
slashing a steel helmet is pretty derp, though.

How does a blow come from the front? Of course it will come from top-front. A strictly "front" attack would require a thrust and the opponent is not thrusting but swinging. Not sure what you are saying here.

The flat of the sword is unquestionably facing the incoming blow. It doesn't matter whether the sword is raised up or down to receive it other than what you intend to do next. You receive a strike on the flat to work around it, to counter-attack. And it makes sense that the sword is raised up, considering the next move the player did is an counter-attack on the head; you would have to work upwards to deliver a diagonal strike from above to the head. You raise your sword to face an incoming attack, in preparation of your next-move to the head.

As for "slashing the steel helmet": what I got from the video is that the player attacked the head but the attack was stopped by the helmet. Maybe the player was intending to hit the neck or the face; we don't know. But the fact that the sword actually hit the helmet and the helmet actually protected the opponent is just fucking awesome, unlike practically every game where armour simply subtracts from the damage dealt instead of actually protecting the way it should. Also awesome is that the opponent is staggered for a moment when he's hit on the head. Trauma.

I love the implications of that little combat sequence but fear that the actual spontaneous options for fencing might be a little bit too simplified. For instance in that particular situation, the player also could, upon receiving the incoming strike on his flat, wind his sword to redirect the opponent's blade to his right and gain an opportunity to thrust straight in to the neck or face, or apply a half-swording technique, but there doesn't seem to be any other option than a vague "riposte".

Daniel.Vavra ?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Daniel.Vavra

I hope you still read Daniel. Since this is a free speech forum, you get the full spectrum of opinions here. Don't wonder where the negativity comes from, it's simply there. If you wanted to get rid of it, you'd have to kill the whole male population. Better to simply ignore some stuff, than to get worked up.

I'm sure not the only one who thinks that your vision sounds exciting (if not potentially amazing). I imagine something like Mount & Blade, plus proper story and game mechanics, and a bit of the magic that made the Illusion titles so athmospheric. A sandbox / rpg or "medieval sim" on a similar quality level as Mafia. Theoretically, such a game could keep quite a few people addicted. For years! People have been playing Mount and Blade for a decade now, and it's hardly more that a prototype released to the public.

The business plan of making an alpha prototype and showing it to publishers before the public appears logical. Although I too have doubts that the concept will survive the publisher. We will see. If negotiations fail, I hope you consider kickstarter, that would give you more options, as well as the good will of gamers. Some people don't trust publishers any more. It's now almost 8 years since Oblivion & the shitbox, some people here can not imagine that anything good could come from a publisher.

blog_021_1_thumb.jpg

The screenshot looks sexy. I think it's a glimpse of what PC gaming could be, reminds me of stuff I've seen on the Ogre3D showcase forum. Stuff that demonstrates the real capabilities of the PC, if it weren't for the consoles and the least common denominator dictating everything.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
From the blogposts I've read it seems this thing is pretty fucking unique, in that noone ever attempted anything like this before.

I think Mount and Blade is very similar, but different in execution. And what fun it is to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom