Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'd really like a game set during the Thirty Years War, just before the battle of White Mountain, if Warhorse wants to stick to historical events important to Czech history. The early modern period is a setting that is virtually untouched in RPGs. Hussite Wars would be fine too as long as there's guns. Kingdumb Cum 1 has a lot of problems but the developer has shown so much promise I'm already looking forward to the sequels.

There’s a reason the only thing close to an early modern RPG is Mount & Blade’s expansion, with Fire and Sword. It’s really hard to do engaging combat in the age of pike and shot. On the one hand, you can’t protect yourself from gunfire, on the other hand, your own arquebus won’t be able to hit anything except at very short ranges. Plus, it’s much harder to justify the kind of knight-errant structure that most RPGs rely on.

More importantly, Warhorse probably doesn’t want to make a game against the backdrop of losing their country to the Austrians for three hundred years.
Well, dodging musket balls is probably easier than dodging machine guns, and there have been several RPGs made with machine guns in them. Muskets should not be a problem for a careful player to deal with unless he tries to take on several enemies at once without planning. I shoot muskets in real life and have to say that the inaccuracy of them is usually highly exaggerated- they can be pretty accurate at 50 yards and that's practically long range shooting by video game standards. They're also much easier to aim than bows and arrows.

Pikes would indeed be hard to implement, but they wouldn't even really have to be, since pikes saw little use outside of set battles during this time. The small-scale skirmishing and raiding was done by either cavalry, dragoons or musketeers.

The early modern period already has a precedent for the knight-errant structure. In fiction, for example, there's Simplicius Simplicisimus, the story of a guy who bounces around Thirty Year War era Germany and France having zany adventures, fighting, dueling, finding secret hordes of treasure. Many of Simplex's adventures could be translated straight into RPG encounters. There are also dozens of real life people who lived lives as vibrant and eventful as RPG character, people like Sir John Smith in his younger years before he became governor of Virginia, or Captain Alfonso de Contreras's piracy career in the Mediterranean.

Elex

Arbiter
People should not be too overjoyed about that Quit&Save fix. Vavra right now - "we will add autosaves and probably quit-saves that auto-delete after a load, to avoid exploits".

Jesus, these guys are fucking DETERMINED to keep pissing off 95% of their player base. Because even most prestigious gamers hate that system. Plus THERE IS ALREADY A MOD!

I understand this game would never exist if it wasn't for Vavra earth-shattering pigheadedness but the side effects sometimes...christ.
they should give up: because 3/4 of the bugs in the game can be fixed with a save reload.

KateMicucci

Arcane
i saw some videos where the player can defeat a chainmail cuman warrior with only a longsword.not that im an expert but how is this realistic?
What's the problem?
alexander-duels-with-porus-wfa677.png

sullynathan the combat is good enough to have fun with it for a few hours but it's heavily based on stats, perks and gear more than the player's actual skill and high-level enemies have bullshit unblockable counterattack abilities. I had one fight with seven bandits at once and the only one who gave me trouble was the one I couldn't attack normally because he would perfectly counterattack everything.

Elex

Arbiter
People should not be too overjoyed about that Quit&Save fix. Vavra right now - "we will add autosaves and probably quit-saves that auto-delete after a load, to avoid exploits".

Jesus, these guys are fucking DETERMINED to keep pissing off 95% of their player base. Because even most prestigious gamers hate that system. Plus THERE IS ALREADY A MOD!

I understand this game would never exist if it wasn't for Vavra earth-shattering pigheadedness but the side effects sometimes...christ.

I don't mind it so much, it seems like a good compromise. With free saving you can't really implement much risk vs. reward, because the player can always take the high reward route and reload, if it doesn't work. Under free saving, the only challenge can come from short term difficulty, like in a fight but not from long term ressource management, which this game obviously heavily relies on.

My biggest gripe with the game is that you have this one point in the story where you have to fight a strong opponent, which fucks over charisma chars. Also the shitty performance and bugs. Otherwise the game is gud.
just do like dark souls: no manual saves at all

Senntinel

Novice
For the guys having problems with the masterstrokes, learn to feint, then you won't get masterstroked. Also ignore the block icon in the middle, you have much better results watching the character models of the enemy. Each attack has a small wind up, if you block then you do a masterstroke, nothing to do with the warfare skill. I went from losing the same battle 10 times in a row to winning with losing only 10% of my health just from ignoring the block icon. Still don't understand how kick or clinch works. :incline:

Elex

Arbiter

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Well what do you know, an open world game sells well in a period where no other games are released, I'm baffled. Open world games will sell well even if they have a goat as a protagonist running around doing silly stuff, oh wait goat simulator sold like 3-4 mils:0-13:

Volken

Scholar
As for the armor, yes I have one of the best armor in the game because I killed a Cuman very early into the game and it seems that nothing can budge it
That's kind of my point though. You lucked out and got a suit of power armor from Navarro. You're using that and an AI exploit in an early version of the game.

As for the head/face being a killshot, I have no idea how you do it. I fire 10 shots in a row and can't hit a stationary rabbit in the early game.

Come on dude, does this look hard to you?

You can do this all day, 10 enemies, 1000 enemies, it doesn't make a difference.

There goes your most realistic medieval combat evar. EURO JANK is so strong in this one. Real time combat system will always be cringey shit.

(except DS because it's made by godblessed beauthiful genius Hidetaka Miyazaki)

Mark Richard

Arcane
Enthusiasm suits you, Codex. Watching posters list off historical eras as future possibilities mirrors my own excitement on the subject. The historical fiction RPG is upon us.
:bounce:

Gord

Arcane
So, some guy at a german hardware-focused forum found out that you can give the game a significant boost on AMD Vega GPUs (maybe on their older cards, too, would check on my RX480, but I don't own the game yet):

Apparently, Vega (maybe their older cards, too) don't like the standard setting "r_BatchType = 0" - putting it on "r_BatchType = 1", he sees big performance gains at Very High and above.
Granted, Vega GPUs are impossible to find, but it might still be useful in case you are one of the 5 people worldwide who own them for gaming instead of mining.

Maybe Smejki would like to forward this to the appropriate people?

Master

Arbiter
As for the armor, yes I have one of the best armor in the game because I killed a Cuman very early into the game and it seems that nothing can budge it
That's kind of my point though. You lucked out and got a suit of power armor from Navarro. You're using that and an AI exploit in an early version of the game.

As for the head/face being a killshot, I have no idea how you do it. I fire 10 shots in a row and can't hit a stationary rabbit in the early game.

You can do this all day, 10 enemies, 1000 enemies, it doesn't make a difference.

There goes your most realistic medieval combat evar. EURO JANK is so strong in this one. Real time combat system will always be cringey shit.

Gothic/Risen? Germans know RT combat too
:discohitler:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

That's not even Euro Jank, it's pure common trash, Euro Jank should give you some headaches but still be a challenge along the road as buggy as it may be, but this game gives you nothing besides trowing deadwood AI at you that act like target practice rather than enemies. It's sad that people give this pile of manure a pass especially being a 50$ title, yet they dare to bash other games on the basis that they are not real arpeges.

Parabalus

Arcane

That's not even Euro Jank, it's pure common trash, Euro Jank should give you some headaches but still be a challenge along the road as buggy as it may be, but this game gives you nothing besides trowing deadwood AI at you that act like target practice rather than enemies. It's sad that people give this pile of manure a pass especially being a 50$ title, yet they dare to bash other games on the basis that they are not real arpeges.

I tried to clear the camp with how I've been playing so far (naked+sword) and couldn't really, you get zerged. The Cuman commander took 10+ min of me doing no damage to him, had to reload and stealth kill him.

If people are worried about piercing arrows+AI breaking the game just don't use them.

dragonul09 would you mind clearing the camp with a melee weapon?

Black_Willow

Arcane
Holy shit. When I tried this game (and promptly uninstalled/refunded when an objective called [CW: Rape]
"Save Theresa from the rapists"
popped up onscreen) I had no idea of this background, but as i dug deeper into the marketing and then the opening act, I was like “Huh a bunch of things about this game’s design philosophy feels like it’s hinting at the ideology that formed GG”, right down to evoking The Witcher 2 & 3 in very particular ways. I kind of hate being able to feel this shit in my bones these days.

This is swift becoming a dire example of what games culture (especially on PC) utterly fetishizes. Immersive sims have stopped being cute experiments when you realize how easy it is for such a traditionally centrist-bent genre to slide very far-right with the veneer of the thinking man’s whatever.

The facial mocap is intricate and the camerawork deliberate (ass shots included!); the tutorials are unwelcoming walls of text for overwrought systems meant to impress you, like they were made by a gameFAQs kid that wants every game to be “more realistic”; the fact that you can accomplish things in several ways is meant to eclipse any consideration of what your objectives or given choices might mean. All this showy bullshit and the right connections to make the game happen have made it so that Waypoint’s still the only place I’ve seen bring up the inexorable link to GG, while it happily plays to any other outlet remotely covering PC games with a dash of the ol’ No DRM to show just how consumer-friendly they are.

Plus, even in the opening act, the game reads like a manifesto on the contradictory very ethical thoughts of creeps that are convinced games aren’t political while they try to make a political point with their video game.

and they are/were helping develop a game of thrones mod even before the release, because of fucking course they are.

edit: okay the Polygon article at least brings the GG connection up, but that’s still an exception to the vast rule of this game’s coverage. Boy this medium sure is still unprepared for cryptofascists getting creative power, huh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom