Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Henry was pretty boring as a protagonist, but he served a function of presenting the medieval world through the eyes of a real person who lived there. With KCD, Warhorse really seemed to want to make the game not just about the combat and epic shit, but about regular everyday medieval life.
And that's what makes him so endearing.
Yup. It's nice to play some random dude rather than SON OF DOG, THE HERO OF KVETCH, THE CHOSEN TARD, THE CURSED PHAG, THE DRAGON BEHEADER, THE WITCHER BITCHER.

Any RPG that makes you some insigificant twat gets instant bonus points from me for less cringe.
However, you are still special, blue-blood special.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, Henry is a stock "person from humble background actually comes from a super special noble lineage" that's common in women's literature (see Harry Potter).

Wesp5

Arcane

Vavra's solution of having your cake and eat it too is actually p. smart. You start as a lazy bum nobody instead of the SON OF DRAGHUN!1!, which is actually interesting and refreshing, like Konjad and many others pointed out already, but you also get to do interesting things because you're actually not a poorfag peasant but a secret aristocrat.
This reminds me very much of Bloodlines, where you start as an illegal embraced nobody, but as a pawn of Jack and Cabbie you are much more in the end.

thesecret1

Arcane
The reason to have him a noble bastard was to avoid being completely ahistorical. Peasants during that time did not have the social mobility needed to rise as high as Henry did and rub elbows with nobility – they absolutely wouldn't accept some village dirtbag strolling in and being their pal, no matter how useful he might be. Being a noble bastard removed that obstacle as, bastard or not, he would still have blue blood.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The reason to have him a noble bastard was to avoid being completely ahistorical. Peasants during that time did not have the social mobility needed to rise as high as Henry did and rub elbows with nobility – they absolutely wouldn't accept some village dirtbag strolling in and being their pal, no matter how useful he might be. Being a noble bastard removed that obstacle as, bastard or not, he would still have blue blood.
Indeed, but Henry is still not a full blue blood, not nobility, though he does have a claim to it.
Bastards were not exactly treated well in history.

VerSacrum

Educated
Peasants during that time did not have the social mobility needed to rise as high as Henry did and rub elbows with nobility – they absolutely wouldn't accept some village dirtbag strolling in and being their pal,
Except if you're a schizo French chick who hears voices and get the heir to the throne to simp for you

Harthwain

Magister
Guess I looked at it more technically. Like being a grey warden not necessarily is being a chosen one, you are just one of (not so-)many. Many such cases.
The Grey Warden are technically chosen ones and are treated like someone exceptional/heroes, in spite of their pretty much criminal background (because the Grey Warden accept anyone who has the will and the skill to fight the Blight).

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Am I missing something, wasn't he just a son of a very accomplished blacksmith?

Quillon

Arcane
Guess I looked at it more technically. Like being a grey warden not necessarily is being a chosen one, you are just one of (not so-)many. Many such cases.
The Grey Warden are technically chosen ones and are treated like someone exceptional/heroes, in spite of their pretty much criminal background (because the Grey Warden accept anyone who has the will and the skill to fight the Blight).
Technically any grey warden can end the blight so being one of them is not necessarily being teh chosen one and the protag in DAO doesn't even have to do it himself in the end. While The Warden is just another warden, Geralt is one of a kind witcher.

Also with that logic many other castes can be considered TCOs? What are the qualifiers for being TEH CHOSEN ONE? Cos it looks like you can slap it on most characters including the dull af village yokel lazy bum henry

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The reason to have him a noble bastard was to avoid being completely ahistorical. Peasants during that time did not have the social mobility needed to rise as high as Henry did and rub elbows with nobility – they absolutely wouldn't accept some village dirtbag strolling in and being their pal, no matter how useful he might be.
In some cases commoners could be knighted for extraordinary military services but not sure how common that was in late Middle Ages where the game takes place. My guess is not very, if it was possible at all. Plus Radzig would have to intervene with the king to make that happen, he couldn't have done it himself.

thesecret1

Arcane
Indeed, but Henry is still not a full blue blood, not nobility, though he does have a claim to it.
That depended a whole lot on the particular case – some nobles cared for their children even if they were bastards, and made sure to give them cushy jobs. More importantly though, they could claim nobility. The stain of bastardry was on them, sure, it but was still better than being a peasant. I believe Capon even mentions this at some point?

In some cases commoners could be knighted for extraordinary military services but not sure how common that was in late Middle Ages where the game takes place. Plus Radzig would have to intervene with the king to make that happen, he couldn't have done it himself.
Well, here's your problem: the king is in house arrest while his brother (trying to take the throne) torched Henry's village.

The blacksmith is only his foster father.

Harthwain

Magister
Technically any grey warden can end the blight so being one of them is not necessarily being teh chosen one and the protag in DAO doesn't even have to do it himself in the end.
Except you have to survive the ritual, which is what makes you special. It is true you aren't the only one, but you're still one of the Chosen. What changes is that the number goes up from singular to plural, while still maintaining the exclusivity of the position. You can also have the Morrowind's treatment: you're the Chosen One, but there were other Chosen Ones before you and if you were to fail there would also be more Chosen Ones after you (hypothetically).

While The Warden is just another warden, Geralt is one of a kind witcher.
I disagree. Geralt is one of the Witchers. What makes him special is plot armor, similarly to what makes Conan special.

Also with that logic many other castes can be considered TCOs? What are the qualifiers for being TEH CHOSEN ONE? Cos it looks like you can slap it on most characters including the dull af village yokel lazy bum henry
To be the Chosen One you need to be unique in some way. Frankly, being a bastard son of a noble is not THAT special. At best you could have a bit more influence via your relative, if he were to be in a position of power. But you could be knighted as a peasant, too, for exemplary performance or service. A knight can make another knight. In the end what makes Henry special is being the player character in the game, not much else. Then again, getting knighted can be considered an extraordinary event.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dialogue in KCD hints at the truth before explicitly revealing it:

PZ8ybRF.jpg

fmMzECN.jpg

TedNugent

Arcane
The main quest is still not completed, so Warhorse has to conclude it and the story despite Tom McKay (Henry's actor) being almost 44 years of age (born December 27, 1979), which means that we'll certainly be playing as Henry.
Just dump that boring shit, I already didn't care about whatever mission at the end.

Peasants during that time did not have the social mobility needed to rise as high as Henry did and rub elbows with nobility – they absolutely wouldn't accept some village dirtbag strolling in and being their pal,
Except if you're a schizo French chick who hears voices and get the heir to the throne to simp for you
She did get burned at the stake like a garbage hag, so I'm not sure that's the case.

Nobody really did shit to save her at that point, and I'm sure the King was happy to have her gone, the most important work having been done. Charles didn't really simp for her so much as the other way round.

The result was of course you had a martyr for La France who became a symbol of French nationalism for eternity (by being a Bourbon stooge), and Charles got to sip his wine bedaubed in fleur de lis over his newly conquered kingdom.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hope KCD 2 won't fall in the Game of Thrones trap of making everything dark, and ugly, because generic grimy medieval setting...
Kingdom Come had a sense of adventure and even medieval romance. Keep it that way and add some more stuff from that historic period.

Vatnik Wumao
To be fair, one of the characters does call Henry out very early on for receiving unusually special treatment not due to a blacksmith's son.

cruel

Cipher
I dropped the game after 18h or so and trying to come back to it. Should I buy all the DLCs, are they worth it? I see most of them are 60% off or so.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

cruel

Cipher
Thanks, I will get them all then.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom