Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[King of Dragon Pass] This game actively punishes you for being successful.

I get not enough worshippers text when I try to build shrine. Also how do I check how much land do I have so I can compare it to population?

That means you need more population to build/upgrade the shrine.

The farming screen shows your land breakdown between cropland/pasture/wildlands, adjusting that adjusts how you use it and your expected food output.

Silva

Arcane
I intended to win by genociding every single other tribe in the game, but it turns out the tribes are immortal and will just migrate further away if you bully them too much :| You HAVE to play nice with the other losers to win, which kind of put me off from the game
You can make them your bitches - paying tribute, getting raided, living in FEAR - as a Death/Chaos worshipping clan, though.

Enough for me. :smug:

Üstad

Arcane
With seasonal trade routes and a max level issaries shrine you can get like 200 goods a year pretty easily (more after becoming a tribe, which lets you get more trade routes and bumps you up to monthly trade). It should be pretty easy to sustain all your shrines and have tons of goods for trading eventually (send traders to buy treasures from other clans, lots of great stuff, costs like 50 goods apiece though the more treasures you have the higher the price tends to get).

Also there are some artifacts that make it very cheap to maintain a great temple to certain gods. One is Humakt's Helm obtainable from the Humakt hero quest, another is the silver tongue for issaries obtainable through trade. Issaries shrine is as mentioned one of the best to max out and Humakt is probably 2nd best since it really tilts battles your way.
Thanks for letting me know. What's the benefit of creating tribe? And how many lore secrets there are in game? Can you specify if you know? I don't want to check wiki for this because it tells too much and it defeats the purpose of the game? I'll give sacrifice at shrines to get to know about them.

With seasonal trade routes and a max level issaries shrine you can get like 200 goods a year pretty easily (more after becoming a tribe, which lets you get more trade routes and bumps you up to monthly trade). It should be pretty easy to sustain all your shrines and have tons of goods for trading eventually (send traders to buy treasures from other clans, lots of great stuff, costs like 50 goods apiece though the more treasures you have the higher the price tends to get).

Also there are some artifacts that make it very cheap to maintain a great temple to certain gods. One is Humakt's Helm obtainable from the Humakt hero quest, another is the silver tongue for issaries obtainable through trade. Issaries shrine is as mentioned one of the best to max out and Humakt is probably 2nd best since it really tilts battles your way.
Thanks for letting me know. What's the benefit of creating tribe? And how many lore secrets there are in game? Can you specify if you know? I don't want to check wiki for this because it tells too much and it defeats the purpose of the game? I'll give sacrifice at shrines to get to know about them.
Creating a tribe and then a kingdom is the objective of the game. There's max 1 secret for each heroquest I think, but some don't have a secret. If you run out of mysteries to sacrifice for you've got it all

Üstad

Arcane

Creating a tribe and then a kingdom is the objective of the game. There's max 1 secret for each heroquest I think, but some don't have a secret. If you run out of mysteries to sacrifice for you've got it all
Is there a time limit though? Like what happens if I don't create tribe for 12 years? Also people on ring says I need more farmers and when I get more farmers clan split event occurs before I hit the needed farmer limit. Am I doing something wrong?

Is there a time limit though? Like what happens if I don't create tribe for 12 years? Also people on ring says I need more farmers and when I get more farmers clan split event occurs before I hit the needed farmer limit. Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think there's a time limit. They probably mean that you need more farmers for the amount of land you have cleared for farming. You can ignore their complaining if you produce enough food, or get one of the blessings that let your farmers work harder.

Üstad

Arcane
I don't think there's a time limit. They probably mean that you need more farmers for the amount of land you have cleared for farming. You can ignore their complaining if you produce enough food, or get one of the blessings that let your farmers work harder.
Umderstood. Btw old game manual suggest we can allocate magic to hunting or micromanage crops but steam version doesn't have that. Is the old one better?

Also why should I get hunters when there is always demand for farmers and they are more productive? I thought hunters fight better, but they are under same class with farmers. Do they become auxiliaries or something?

Also which god is best main god?

Hunting is basically useless in terms of food. I think some amount of hunters helps you detect raiders though. The old features were mostly worthless. For example, you could choose how many goods crafters you wanted to employ. But this was a non-choice because the best option was always to maximize it to the proportion of population the game would let you, so it was basically just a noob trap to not max crafters. The only worthwhile feature missing from the new version is a nice render of your tribal lands with the buildings you've built.

ZUhhdGUwMTEucG5n

Starting selections of gods is mostly just determining what you start with. Your leader should always be a follower of your main god unless you are specifically trying to make things harder (there's some funny events for having a trickster leader, but that's basically playing ultra hard mode). Supposedly choosing Orlanth makes other clans like you slightly better but its really not a huge deal. I think Ernalda's blessings are the best of the three for the early game (you always need more cows and food).

Üstad

Arcane
Is it possible to spend 3 magic to questing, if yes how? I want a Uralda worshipper on my ring but I can't get one despite I send useless ones to suicide missions.

Yeah, Ernalda is probably the easiest of the big 3, although Orlanth is just fine too. Elmal is definitely the hardest.

I have a strong preference for the original release over the iOS port that's widely available now. The tula screen is really nice, but the ability to mitigate potentially weak harvests by changing crop allotments is cool too, even if it's not imperative.

Eurmalite clan leaders are awesome and truly lulzy sometimes, but, as Manatee said, it's basically playing on ultra-hard mode.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
What's making Eurmalite both LOL and hard ? I never went dig into the game systems

To be clear:

Elmal = One of the three primary deities you can worship. Supposed to be hardest choice, I guess because Elmal was kind of Orlanth's underling and so being an Elmal clan means Orlanth clans consider you as beneath them. I haven't played it but I doubt it would make THAT much of a difference even if other clans like you less.

Eurmal = The trickster god. Eurmalites literally just fuck around and cause mischief. Having them on the ring opens up unorthodox solutions to some events (which tend to be quite good), along with giving an extra potential point to Heroquests. But putting them as clan leader is basically asking for trouble. Just not having your primary god represented in the clan leader causes dissatisfaction and other clans to not like you, and events that Eurmalites cause tend to be bad. And you're going to see a lot of events from your trickster. There's no reason to put an Eurmalite as your clan leader unless you want to see lulz events or have a much harder game.

Endemic

Arcane
The clan ring's comments about his antics are a nice touch, too.

"Did I ever tell you the story about what happened when Eurmal lifted Chalana Arroy's skirt to see what was underneath?"

"Eurmal cheated Chalana Arroy out of her healing salve. He put it on himself, and parts of him would not stop growing, no matter how many times he chopped them."

"Once there was a boundary dispute between Barntar and Elmal. Eurmal solved the problem by getting them drunk and then moving all the boundary stones in the valley."

"Maran Gor isn't so bad. Eurmal stole her skirt once, and she didn't kill him. Just dismembered him a couple of times."

Üstad

Arcane
Finally finished the game. By the time feather queen events started I had too many cows and treasures that I didn't know what to do with them. It was nice then it got dull and repetitive and tedious because ending events just didn't occur soon enough. The game does not have too many different strategies since you basically need to be just good enough about everything. There are some quirks though, picking ice tribe as ancestral enemy makes your war clan more useful due to winter raids or picking trolls as ancestral enemy, combining constant raids with Maran Gor shrine which provides fertility.

I'll start playing six ages soon, I wonder if there are any other nice CYOA games like this preferably with more strategic depth.

What's making Eurmalite both LOL and hard ? I never went dig into the game systems
It's just going to constantly piss off your clan ring.
I'll start playing six ages soon, I wonder if there are any other nice CYOA games like this preferably with more strategic depth.
Academagia is the only other KoDP clone that I'm aware of. It's okay. Definitely weaker than KoDP or SA.

Academagia is the only other KoDP clone that I'm aware of. It's okay. Definitely weaker than KoDP or SA.
Does Forest of Doom counts? It may be not KoDP clone but still a CYOA RPG.
I haven’t played it, but that looks more like a standard game book adaptation a la Sorcery! or Seventh Seal’s Lone Wolf adaptations. I like those, but they’re not really similar to KoDP.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I don't know anything similar to KoDP.
I think the closest experience you can have is The Banner Saga on one hand, or The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante on the other hand for your political impact (especially end game, as a kid you just suffer), but even then they are pretty distant.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't know anything similar to KoDP.
I think the closest experience you can have is The Banner Saga on one hand, or The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante on the other hand for your political impact (especially end game, as a kid you just suffer), but even then they are pretty distant.

Yes, it is a quite wonderful mix of strategy game with story telling elements/events.

Banner Saga is a squad tactics game with story (mediocre tbh) and Sir Brante is just stat based CYOA.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well honestly I am not sure why more indie devs don't try this idea, it looks quite cheap to make and can be very fun and rewarding...

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I can't think of a lot of KoDP games, aside from Long Live The Queen or something? But none of them are quite as intense lore wise. Granted that is because KoDP is drawing from Runequest, unlike LLTQ or Academagia. Academagia has semi similar story events but is otherwise pretty dissimilar to KoDP really.

tindrli

Arcane
Most of indie guys are probably too affraid to get 1/10 rate in some potato magazine or don't even know KODP exist.
no reason to be afraid if a vision is right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom