Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Ken Levine talks about BioShock on TTLG + video

Whipporowill

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:
And why the fuck was he talking to the character on the screen as if he wasn't actually controlling him?

Uh, he wasn't. It explicitly stated that some co-producer was behind the controls...

Data4

Arcane
vazquez595654 said:
And why the fuck was he talking to the character on the screen as if he wasn't actually controlling him?

He wasn't. He was narrating while someone else was controlling the game.

-D4

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hmmm. I wonder tho if it will be any good, and how customizable the character will be really. From what I understand, there still isn't alot known.

sheek

Arbiter
Data4 said:
vazquez595654 said:

He wasn't. He was narrating while someone else was controlling the game.

-D4

But why? Doesn't sound like the height of business efficiency.

denizsi

Arcane
On the other hand, the plasmids they showed seemed...dare I say...underwhelming and overly specific. It was just a 15 minute video, but there was pretty much nothing there that wasn't done in a game like Mysteries of the Sith or Jedi Outcast. Tricking enemies into thinking they're you, and super speed aren't exactly inventive. I hope they show us more very soon, because that's not really enticing.

I wonder how many of the games out there the devs get to play? "They've done it in MotS, an 8 year title did it? Well, I'm sure ours is better!"

Btw, this is irrelevant but I just had to point it out: Jedi Knights and MotS had the best model animations in variation and in smoothness, fluency around those years and still do better than many revent allegedly AAA games.

Hmmm. I wonder tho if it will be any good, and how customizable the character will be really. From what I understand, there still isn't alot known.

(Commenting on the bolded part of your statement) How reasonable would it be to think that it's (not alot known about the game) because there isn't much more to be known including the lack of deeper customization

Maybe because he gets to be way too immersed while playing to give explanations.

edit: I think I corrected my statements in my reply to Blackhart

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
denizsi said:
On the other hand, the plasmids they showed seemed...dare I say...underwhelming and overly specific. It was just a 15 minute video, but there was pretty much nothing there that wasn't done in a game like Mysteries of the Sith or Jedi Outcast. Tricking enemies into thinking they're you, and super speed aren't exactly inventive. I hope they show us more very soon, because that's not really enticing.

I wonder how many of the games out there the devs get to play? "They've done it in MotS, an 8 year title did it? Well, I'm sure ours is better!"

Btw, this is irrelevant but I just had to point it out: Jedi Knights and MotS had the best model animations in variation and in smoothness, fluency around those years and still do better than many revent allegedly AAA games.

How reasonable would it be to think that's because there isn't much more to known including the lack of deeper customization

Maybe because he gets to be way too immersed while playing to give explanations.

Your reply to my statement confused the hell out of me. Can you rephrase it better?

denizsi

Arcane
Corrected. I also noticed that I forgot to add a "be" there. I hope it's clear now.

I thnik the splicers are retarded.

Also, somebody correct me if I got it wrong but these "adams" are genetic materials which are the sources powering everything and also pass as currency; and you can extract them from corpses as that little whore does and you can also find them in ordinary containers, like, a cash register?

Ok, we don't know much atm, but sounds somewhat retarded, especially because Ken Levine doesn't do anything to go further in detail about them.

The speedboost looked out of place. It looked just like a SW force move. What does the character actually do to consume, activate or use the plasmid? Wave his hands (or maybe other parts) like a retard?

Now this is security station up here. Noow Jooe Is Gonnaa Uuuse teh secuuuity staatioon too <back to normal rate of speech>

Seems like Ken Levine had a retarded audiance at the time of show, or so he thought. Kinda sounds like Bush too at that part.

Also, judging from the video, the it seems like the water effects were exaggerated. When the splicer lost some blood, which stained the floor with a little water pool by the blocked sliding doors, I wondered if the blood would spread or dissipate in the water. It didn't. Probably just a passive shader effect.

When he reaches the camera, he says there's lots of options and it's all about choice and options, yet I doubt if there's any other way to bypass the camera for instance, other than shooting at it, deactivating security or trying to stay out of camera's view. In a game where water is emphasized so much, I'd expect him to demonstrate some more creative workarounds using water somehow. Splash some water on the camera to short-circuit it or blur its glass maybe? He'd probably mention if there was another option too other than what he said in the video.

The neon images at restroom entries reminded me of Fallout.

DemonKing

Arcane
As others have said, great art design - but what's with the Nerf Gun?

Also, as presumably you can kill the little girl (to steal her "Adam") I can see Jack Thompson and co. going balistic again...it wouldn't surprise me if they get replaced late in the piece (llittle goblins, perhaps?).

KreideBein

Scholar
DemonKing said:
As others have said, great art design - but what's with the Nerf Gun?

Also, as presumably you can kill the little girl (to steal her "Adam") I can see Jack Thompson and co. going balistic again...it wouldn't surprise me if they get replaced late in the piece (llittle goblins, perhaps?).

Well, Prey had little kids getting splattered all over the place and Thompson didn't seem get on 3D Realms' case. Unless the letters G T and A are put into the title, it shouldn't be a problem.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Twinfalls- I got the exact same impression, re: Bladerunner. Oh, and it's Pris.

Ah that's right, Pris. Reminds me yet again why that is such a great film, even a simple name was original and unusual (can't remember if she was in the novel).

Data4 said:
Did that Little Sister call the Big Daddy.... erm.... Mr. Bubbles?

Blaargh! It sure sounded like it. That alone puts the suckage potential through the roof. Resorting to cliched and silly paedophilia references to make a game 'edgy' and 'dark' is just fucking dumb.

denizsi

Arcane
Well, Prey had little kids getting splattered all over the place

It did? Maybe I should give it a try then.

Regarding Bioshock: Either splicers and those little whores are all clones or the Rapture had unforgiving dress regulations, as each "ordinary inhabitant" turned splicers has the same clothes. Probably so for all other types as well. I really hate this in any game. It works only with Star Wars.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Ah that's right, Pris. Reminds me yet again why that is such a great film

Are you talking about Blade Runner? If you are, can you briefly explain how it was a great film.

Grifman

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
When I say accessible an interview, here are some things some of you might think I mean:

No ammo types.
No character growth.
No hacking.
No logs.
No open-ended level layouts.
No difficulty.
No weapon mods.
No research system.
No limited resources.
No ghosts.
No dozens and dozens of plasmids.
No radically different play styles.

Yep, thats a pretty good list of Red Flags for the dumbing down and "mainstreaming" of a unique series. By mainstreaming, I mean making a game identical to almost every other FPS out there.

He's meaning is the opposite of what you've taken it to be.

This is, of course, a filthy, filthy lie.

I hope that means all these things are still in. Not sure what a plasmid is though. I pray it isn't a biomod cannister.

Well, duh, yes, obviously so. And yes, plasmids are the equivalent of biomods or cyber enhancements. Sorry if that disappoints you.

Grifman

Liturgist
Ryuken said:
It's a bit painful to hear him talk about the stunning water effects while it doesn't have any effect on the game at all, except for "achieving it emotionally". You see loads of water squashing into several rooms, but it doesn't fill up at all.

You're absolutely right, a couple of sentences about water effects in a 5 minute video obviously mean the game is doomed to suck.

Grifman

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Grifman said:
Elwro said:
Was this supposed to be an RPG or what?
And what makes you think it's not?
"The whole game is designed with a single principle: To make a first person shooter where there are literally dozens of ways to do anything. Hack machinery. Craft new power ups. Modify your weapons. Experiment with insane genetic powers. Lay traps for your foes. Take over security systems. The list really doesn’t end." From the Shacknews interview. Doesn't sound like an RPG to me, but heck, if it's a good FPS with a unique twist, the better for it.

Sounds like Deus Ex or System Shock to me. That's good enough for me.

Did you read the post he made at TTLG forums?
Yeah. Apart from the list at the beginning,

Well, that list was sort of the point as he was listing RPG elements but you obviously missed it.

psycojester

Arbiter
Prey really isn't worth trying denizsi. It exemplifies the new wave of hand-holding in games these days.

I mean the fucking thing won't even let you die. Instead you go to the bloody indian spirit world and shoot magical indian spirits till you get enough health to return to the point where you died.

Thats the kind of shit we don't need in games

Ryuken

Liturgist
Grifman said:
Ryuken said:
It's a bit painful to hear him talk about the stunning water effects while it doesn't have any effect on the game at all, except for "achieving it emotionally". You see loads of water squashing into several rooms, but it doesn't fill up at all.

You're absolutely right, a couple of sentences about water effects in a 5 minute video obviously mean the game is doomed to suck.
And where do you see me saying that exactly? It's 14 minutes btw. It's just one of things that I noticed. Graphical effects are nice but once you realise it is only for decoration purposes you don't give a rat's ass anymore about the "ocean slowly taking back Rapture".

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Grifman said:
Well, that list was sort of the point as he was listing RPG elements but you obviously missed it.
Yeah, ammo types, weapon mods, ghosts and different difficulty levels are all RPG elements. Jezus...
Will the game even have dialogue?

sleepy

Novice
Not third System Shock, no, but looks interesting to me. And I don't mean the water effects(though pretty). I like the alternative ways of solving problems, even if mostly combat related as in the demo. And character & weapon-mods are welcome. Mood seems to be there, oddities and touch of insanity. I'm looking forward to this.

What I didn't like was how easy the use of security station seemed to be. Surely some of the minigame challenges from SShcok will make it into this game? I do hope so. And what's with the security cameras being big as TV-studio cameras? Wasn't this supposed to be a modern age. Or is it just minor hand-holding: "Here, notice this CAMERA. Good."

Edit-additon:
Oh yeah, I hate way the guy walks as if he was an old man with rheumathism. Maybe he is ;) Oh look, there's a turret firing at me. No matter, I'll just wobble forward as normal, hurrying is for fools. And anyway I need a plasmid to run.

Elwro said:
Will the game even have dialogue?
Not likely if they go for the System Shock-ish experience. There you only had creepy records left by people who had died soon after (Doom 3 copied that). I won't go into whether this makes the game less of a rpg. I consider it an interesting shooter-adventure with some choises. Looks like fun.

franc kaos

Liturgist
When I read about the ocean trying to reclaim the space, I imagined wet floors, and drips from the ceiling. The way it was gushing into the station in the vid - if the whole place is like that, I'm pretty sure it would be filled in a couple of days (if not hours). Also, not that impressed with the look of the water, it seems slightly overdone and too busy.

Also, not too sure about the girl and splicers cloned look, here's hoping there's some variation in faces at least. How many creatures are down there?

My last reservation is, in one breath he explains that unlike other shooters you can go anywhere, then later that you're trapped on this level, trying to get to the next. Sounds exactly like Farcry and... Quake? with its hubs.

I did like the way the fish darted away from the players presence.

@Twinfalls: I laughed so hard I managed to watch 61 turns and labelled 'officially gay' - thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom