Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Ken Levine talks about BioShock on TTLG + video

Vandal

Novice
Bradylama said:
use the same model and skin for each splicer/little sister/protecter

There are actually three known types of Protectors so far, and the same could apply to the Splicers and gatherers. The Little Sisters really don't do it for me, though. They're just ugly little bitches. No empathy for them at all.

The splicer in the green dress is absolutely not the only type of splicer in the game. It's important to remember that this is taken from the E3 demo, which is a) already close to five months old, and b) indicative of a game that still had -- at the time -- practically a year left in development. So a lot of the stuff that's being contested -- interface, enemy variety, etc. -- has already changed/been improved since then.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Horror games are weird, you can't really tell how they'll come off with screenshots. AvP2 and Silent Hill 1 were pretty fucking creepy games for me and if I looked at the screens beforehand I'm sure it wouldn't have really indicated how creepy it was.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
Cycloptis said:
It really makes you wonder just why nobody bothers to try a cyberpunk RPG in the same style (that excludes the System Shocks, Deus Ex, and BloodNet).

I think this is a key problem I have had with the direction of Shock under Irrational.

System Shock 1 was cyberpunk. Shock 2 took it further into space-horror territory. Bioshock seems to want to up the horror ante even more, with unrealistic creatures used for movie-like effect ('little girls are teh creepy'). The 'splicer' woman crawling on the ceiling is Nightmare on Elm Street type imagery.

It frankly looks rather silly.

I acknowledge that change in feel to the series, but I found it hard to complain when the game itself was just do damn good.

I agree wholeheartedly with the creatures. It's probably just the fact that I'm watching a video of people watching a video, but the creatures aren't creeping me out. The Splicers appear of the "jump at your face" variety (or their seemingly annoying cousins, the screaming at your face kind), whereas the other two simply aren't threats unless they're provoked...leading me to watch their movements and sympathize for their plight.

The common enemies in SS2 on the other hand, were excellent. Midwives and Hybrids gave off a human vibe, yet they were sinister in every other aspect. You sympathized for them when the Midwives worried about their offspring, or when the Hybrids apologized for smashing you with a wrench or filling you with buckshot; yet, their lingering presence was always a worry, and they were downright grotesque.

With 2/3 of the currently revealed enemies not hunting for you relentlessly, there's no feel of desperation. Just a slight spook, and then back to the game. Pre-World War plastic surgery does not a creepy Splicer make.

I'm still looking forward to this game, but even Ken Levine's comments in reply to my very post (here: http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108943&page=2) aren't very comforting. The ability to make changes to skill choices speaks volumes about what could be. The rest I can't really decipher. I am grateful he did reply to my post, though; plus I respect his ambitions.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I felt there was a disconnect between the visuals and the narration. If I knew nothing about SS, didn't anticipate Bioshock, and had the audio muted - I might think "standard '05 FPS". I guess the developer was attemping to stoke the hype machine.

Had that chunky console feel too. Big and bold. So four eyes teen 360ers don't miss anything.

Cynicism aside. Could be cool. Hope it is.

Gambler

Augur
So why exactly those splicers atatcked the main character, but didn't attack anyone else? And who is the main character? The dynamics of the whole thing looked weird. Reminded me of Thief, various arrows and cannonball dodging. But Thief made sence in its own weird way. This thing doesn't look like it. I mean, you can cast something on a character, so camera triggers a security droid? You pay for bypassing security, which happens instantly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom