Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
However, for best results, see my modding thread, linked in the review, to remove Masterstrike which is a sad joke in late game, flatten out the skill power curves, and make combos more challenging to pull off.

A quick google indicates mods aren't available for ps4, but I'll give the game another try anyway. Been needing something to play since finishing Ghost of Tsushima.

I didn't find the combat that hard in Warband, I just got off my horse and melee killed everything. Mounted combat was tricky but ultimately unnecessary for success except in tournaments. I hated the frickin jousting until I eventually got the hang of it but everything else was dead easy to be honest, especially once I got good gear. I'd go to the front of my army in sieges and basically win them singlehanded... okay my Huscarls helped a bit, but it was mostly me.

Nah, if you’ve done some unmounted skirmishing in Warband, combat kind of sucks rocks in KCD. It’s probably a good basis for KCD2, but so far where I’m at anything up to town guards and bandits has been piss-easy.

I’m going to shelve this one for awhile and move onto Gothic 2. It’s not any one thing, but overall I find the main quest boring as hell so far and, 20 hours into it, I’m already a superhuman death machine. The tedium of having to maintain my bro’s basic needs is also irksome. Hats off to the guys who enjoyed this game, but coming off Gothic and UU before that, I admit I don’t have the patience for KCD.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I was super hyped for this game prior to release but I gave up on it pretty quickly because I couldn't into the combat. I dunno, maybe I should give it another go. I have it on ps4 so maybe that's a factor? It just felt awkward as shit and I struggled to even beat the tutorial fights. Could be one that didn't translate well to console, or maybe it's just me. I haven't heard anyone else say it's a bad port so probably I just need to put some more time into mastering it.

If you have a decent PC I'd get it there. Games, this one no exception, are much more enjoyable with reduced input latency and improved smoothness of 60fps. Not to mention loading takes about 5 seconds on SSD compared to over a minute on console, textures look poor on console and so on

As for combat, at the start you are a peasant and your skill reflects that, combat improves as your character and you improve. I played (PC version) with a gamepad and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I was super hyped for this game prior to release but I gave up on it pretty quickly because I couldn't into the combat. I dunno, maybe I should give it another go. I have it on ps4 so maybe that's a factor? It just felt awkward as shit and I struggled to even beat the tutorial fights. Could be one that didn't translate well to console, or maybe it's just me. I haven't heard anyone else say it's a bad port so probably I just need to put some more time into mastering it.

If you have a decent PC I'd get it there. Games, this one no exception, are much more enjoyable with reduced input latency and improved smoothness of 60fps. Not to mention loading takes about 5 seconds on SSD compared to over a minute on console, textures look poor on console and so on

As for combat, at the start you are a peasant and your skill reflects that, combat improves as your character and you improve. I played (PC version) with a gamepad and enjoyed it thoroughly.
I don't have a decent PC and I can't afford to get one. Hence why I am forced to play most recent games on console. There's actually a surprising amount of cRPGs that get console releases though. I even have Mount n Blade Warband on my ps4 and its great.

vota DC

Augur
To make my point clear, I'm not saying KCD is the most well-designed RPG out there, but it managed to win me over because it has a strong personality.

Too bad the main character has no personality whatsoever. Like, nothing. Nada. Zero.
Great personality. You loot every corpse near Rovna church and then in Skalika, then you go full outrage when Zbyshek loot a single body.

jungl

Augur
the games main quest is really short. The DLCs suck but I have not played them all. Combat system is flawed where the techniques are never worth pulling off cause you won't be able to since most of time you can barely hit people that are higher level then henry and the time you reach high level where you can reliably land these techniques you 1-2shot stuff. Games overrated where games like witcher 1 are better.

Funposter

Arcane
I don't think I've managed to perform a single combo in two playthroughs. :lol: Not that it is needed, once you learn Masterstrike combat becomes a joke anyway. Especially if you equip some decent armor too.
Master Strike was a mistake. Some combos have limited usefulness (pommel strike comes to mind) but typically that's because they only require three inputs, which means you actually have a decent chance of pulling it off. Anything requiring five inputs is totally pointless. If the enemy can't parry one of those five hits, they'll probably be dead in three. If the enemy can survive five hits, they'll probably have parried four of them. Maybe there's a version of the game with perfect balance, but like many RPG that sweet spot exists for only a small amount of time before you go off the deep end and become a demi-god.

I like KCD a lot. It satisfies the hiking simulator urge and comes closer to being a proper RPG than any other modern game in that sub-genre. It's worse than Morrorwind or New Vegas, but it's better than...everything else.

Indeed. Some of the scenes, for me, even evoke a sense of Rabelais

Spot on.

"Comment vous jurez, Frère Jean?" "Ce n'est que pour orner mon langaige. Ce sont couleurs de rhéthorique Ciceroniane." :lol::lol::lol:

Heh, there were quite a few parts in the game that made my inner redneck chuckle. I’ve never read Rabelais but ah, but looking him up I got the sense he had a streak of country boy in him.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think I've managed to perform a single combo in two playthroughs. :lol: Not that it is needed, once you learn Masterstrike combat becomes a joke anyway. Especially if you equip some decent armor too.
Yeah, the combo system is just a big WTF.
It is both entirely unnecessary as you can easily win every encounter without ever doing a combo (once you are leveled up a bit) - while also being pretty much impossible to pull off and even if you accidentally manage to successfully do a combo, it doesn't really do anything much better than a normal parry.

Maybe it is easier with a gamepad, no idea, but since it just isn't required in any shape or form - why bother?

Also, make sure to install the mod that skips the hilariously annoying pick up animation or else you'll want to pull your hair out after gathering a handful of herbs.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Heh, there were quite a few parts in the game that made my inner redneck chuckle. I’ve never read Rabelais but ah, but looking him up I got the sense he had a streak of country boy in him.
You'd probably have a blast (although I don't know whether there are good English translations). It's basically almost four books (the fifth is probably spurious, and frankly sucks) of non-stop taking the piss out of the aristotelic-scholastic culture (ok, and quite a bit of Latin and Greek classics too), which he knew intimately, but done with the kind of earthy (VERY earthy), outrageous humor you'd never expect from such an intellectual.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
You'd probably have a blast (although I don't know whether there are good English translations). It's basically almost four books (the fifth is probably spurious, and frankly sucks) of non-stop taking the piss out of the aristotelic-scholastic culture (ok, and quite a bit of Latin and Greek classics too), which he knew intimately, but done with the kind of earthy (VERY earthy), outrageous humor you'd never expect from such an intellectual.

Half of it is also eating and shitting all over the place. I mean:

1-27-060.jpg

14398704.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My only gripe is that they advertised MASSIVE EPIK BATTLES OMG with hundreds of units in close quarters combat, and then the final game had like max a dozen on each side or your computer would catch fire because it's still unoptimized as hell.

But hey, great game otherwise.

Duralux for Durabux

My only gripe is that they advertised MASSIVE EPIK BATTLES OMG with hundreds of units in close quarters combat, and then the final game had like max a dozen on each side or your computer would catch fire because it's still unoptimized as hell.

But hey, great game otherwise.

Mass battles are such nonsensical clusterfuck in this game I can't imagine why anyone would want even larger ones. I remember the end fight of "Band of Bastards" DLC where I kept trying to keep Kuno alive, ugh.. After many reloads we finally take down enemies with him alive and then the prick attacks me with his men. I guess I must've hit some of them during fight by accident, so fuck it, I just kill them myself. And the useless faggot fought with nothing but this fists throughout the thing too.

Brancaleone

Prophet

Half of it is also eating and shitting all over the place.

That's exactly what I meant by 'earthy' humor. :lol:

thesecret1

Arcane
KCD is above all an incredibly ballsy design move. Making combat skill tied to character's skill rather than player skill is something that could be seen in older RPGs (Gothics come to mind) but was generally phased out, so it really surprised me to see it come back. Then you get an RPG where fighting is like... 30% of the content, and I'm being generous there. Incredibly brave decision to rely on the non-combat part to such an extent, and to thus be so confident in its quality. Finally, you get the story which was clearly designed to be as down to earth as possible while at the same time guiding you through the late medieval society and its customs. No great villains, just some bandits and mongoloids, no great quest to save the land, and, well, kind of the average Joe as a protagonist. It's a lie that Henry has no personality, on the contrary it's apparent that there was concentrated effort to make him come off as an average village boy (a bit on the virtuous side but not too much) and keep him that way throughout the entire game.

There were flaws, of course. Big ones, even. Masterstrike and combos were overall a clusterfuck that just doesn't work, archery is OP as fuck, in game economy is absolutely broken, power progression of player is too fast, many of the quests are repetitive (I swear there has to be like 8 or so quest givers who just pile entire questchains of poaching on you, same with stealing. It'd be fine if they were at least unique in some way, but it's always just busywork), random ambushes get incredibly old after a fairly short time, especially if you aren't using fast travel, and the main story drags its feet in some parts.

Overall, however, the game is quite good despite those flaws, and is a breath of fresh air in the genre in more ways than one. I can only hope the sequel will fix and improve upon these things.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just bought it on this dude’s gushing. Whole shebang. Holy crap that prologue. I was playing for quite a few hours before the escape from Talmberg, then the actual intro video starts playing after the sword gets jacked. Now Henry woke up after two weeks and the woman who never takes a bath and abducted my bro is telling me to pay some debts off. Well, the Uncle is, he’s a douche. I hope this thing really opens up soon.

Why are some people so obsessed about RPGs being completely open from the get go? People bitch about the long prologue in KCD but nobody ever complained that you can't go from the starting White Orchard village straight to Skellige in Witcher 3.

In fact almost all Codex' Top RPGs Evah unlock additional areas as you progress. Which is also true for most RPGs ever made. From the top of my head the only RPGs where you can go p. much anywhere from the get go are Gothic 3 and Skyrim.

I just bought it on this dude’s gushing. Whole shebang. Holy crap that prologue. I was playing for quite a few hours before the escape from Talmberg, then the actual intro video starts playing after the sword gets jacked. Now Henry woke up after two weeks and the woman who never takes a bath and abducted my bro is telling me to pay some debts off. Well, the Uncle is, he’s a douche. I hope this thing really opens up soon.

Why are some people so obsessed about RPGs being completely open from the get go? People bitch about the long prologue in KCD but nobody ever complained that you can't go from the starting White Orchard village straight to Skellige in Witcher 3.

In fact almost all Codex' Top RPGs Evah unlock additional areas as you progress. Which is also true for most RPGs ever made. From the top of my head the only RPGs where you can go p. much anywhere from the get go are Gothic 3 and Skyrim.

Not really sure what your point is, tardo. Prologue was fine, except I had completely forgotten I was still playing in the prologue until the open credits rolled.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It looks like one of those shit games where you left click to stab stuff and right click to block. With nice graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom