Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
It's been a while since I've done one of these gush threads, but KCD deserves one both because of what strong feelings I have about it, and because there's a point to be made here about what it has and most modern RPGs don't.

In the review, KCD was described as "Skyrim for adults", because it's first-person and open-world, but its mechanics aim to make it more realistic and less convenient, but I don't think that does it justice. You can tell that the developers just wanted to make a medieval sim RPG, without looking at any one specific video game as a template. It's an approach with both plenty of benefits and plenty of drawbacks. I like how because the combat is so hard to master, your fast travelling can be interrupted by turkroaches, you can't just save anywhere, every play session requires a bigger investment of time, energy and concentration. I was never half-heartedly plowing through the game. Everything felt more important than it would in other RPGs: the quests, the combat, levelling up, finding a special die, and so on. The one big gripe I have with this approach is that you don't get enough practice in combat, which lead to a certain moment in which
I was locked in a 1 on 1 boss fight with a much stronger opponent, leading to me having to run back and forth, Benny Hill style, and kill him with wounding arrows.
I've heard people like Luj1 complain how most modern RPGs are just inferior reskins of what they played 20 years ago, and my point is, KCD doesn't feel like that at all. It does its own thing, and if that makes it jank, so be it.

It shows in the presentation even more than the gameplay, meaning that the story doesn't have the "blockbuster feel" of something like Shadowrun: Dragonfall - the quests feel like work as much as adventuring - but I still liked them because the world they take place in is so inviting. This is the best thing to come out of the aim for realism: all the characters feel human in the way they talk, in what they're concerned with, and in their relationship to each other. I particularly liked the dynamic between Henry and Hans Capon: the former's a humble commoner with a "give me a job and I'll do it" approach to life, while the latter is a socially dominant noble, but they still hung out together like bros, no problem.
It enhances both the drama and the comedy. It feels like something you'd see in a Kusturica movie. For example, getting drunk with a priest doesn't sound funny on paper, but you get to know the priest intimately beforehand, so when he does anything even slightly over-the-top or silly, it's hysterical. You're not thinking "it's funny because he's drunk", you're thinking "it's funny because that's so like him".
Some people have complained that the tone isn't dark enough, but I say it's just as dark as it needs to be. The middle ages weren't all misery, all the time; there was good times and bad times, and I think KCD balances those two well.

To make my point clear, I'm not saying KCD is the most well-designed RPG out there, but it managed to win me over because it has a strong personality. Chuck Jones, the greatest animator of all time, said that any artist should take inspiration from outside of his art forme, otherwise it'll end up feeling uninspired. That theory applies to vidya as well, and KCD is a great example. It draws inspiration from the real world, which makes it memorable, interesting, and very worth playing, even if you can get good at everything.

Tigranes

Arcane
For example, getting drunk with a priest doesn't sound funny on paper, but you get to know the priest intimately beforehand, so when he does anything even slightly over-the-top or silly, it's hysterical. You're not thinking "it's funny because he's drunk", you're thinking "it's funny because that's so like him".

Indeed. Some of the scenes, for me, even evoke a sense of Rabelais (HOVER OVER FOR LORE: Renaissance writer whose compilation & remixing of medieval folktales is an unparalleled historical treasure). The game has to first give you a rich feel for the specific hierarchical relation of symbols and status in medieval society that governed everything that happened, and it's only after that that you come to appreciate the moment with the drunk "James Bond in Past Life" priest, or the way in which characters like Limpy Lubosh are treated by the townsfolk, and so on.

I would have loved an actual carnival taking place in-game - you could have even played all the minigames there.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
KCD is pretty comfy, hanging around coal burners getting drunk and stealing their potato's and shekals.
The modding tools came out way too late though.

Good job Warhorse.

I just bought it on this dude’s gushing. Whole shebang. Holy crap that prologue. I was playing for quite a few hours before the escape from Talmberg, then the actual intro video starts playing after the sword gets jacked. Now Henry woke up after two weeks and the woman who never takes a bath and abducted my bro is telling me to pay some debts off. Well, the Uncle is, he’s a douche. I hope this thing really opens up soon.

vazha

Arcane
To make my point clear, I'm not saying KCD is the most well-designed RPG out there, but it managed to win me over because it has a strong personality.

Too bad the main character has no personality whatsoever. Like, nothing. Nada. Zero.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I just bought it on this dude’s gushing. Whole shebang. Holy crap that prologue. I was playing for quite a few hours before the escape from Talmberg, then the actual intro video starts playing after the sword gets jacked. Now Henry woke up after two weeks and the woman who never takes a bath and abducted my bro is telling me to pay some debts off. Well, the Uncle is, he’s a douche. I hope this thing really opens up soon.
You've reached the exact point when the game opens up. Now you can explore, grow and/or get killed at your own pace

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nah.. that's too early. He's still far from freedom. The game works on timer. If he deviates too much at that point it's game over.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You've reached the exact point when the game opens up. Now you can explore, grow and/or get killed at your own pace
KCD opens up after the Neuhof stables quest.

Nah.. that's too early. He's still far from freedom. The game works on timer. If he deviates too much at that point it's game over.

Do you mean something in the main quest is timed? All I’ve for main quests is go to Radzig. I did the debt and learned how to pickpocket and can practice lockpocking from the Uncle. What a lark that is, too. I got to level 12 lock picking in like 35 minutes.

I’m liking this game so far, but it’s gonna be a long one, looks like. Does it get harder? Because it’s been pretty easy going so far. I’ve

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's been a while since I've done one of these gush threads, but KCD deserves one both because of what strong feelings I have about it, and because there's a point to be made here about what it has and most modern RPGs don't.

In the review, KCD was described as "Skyrim for adults", because it's first-person and open-world, but its mechanics aim to make it more realistic and less convenient, but I don't think that does it justice. You can tell that the developers just wanted to make a medieval sim RPG, without looking at any one specific video game as a template. It's an approach with both plenty of benefits and plenty of drawbacks. I like how because the combat is so hard to master, your fast travelling can be interrupted by turkroaches, you can't just save anywhere, every play session requires a bigger investment of time, energy and concentration. I was never half-heartedly plowing through the game. Everything felt more important than it would in other RPGs: the quests, the combat, levelling up, finding a special die, and so on. The one big gripe I have with this approach is that you don't get enough practice in combat, which lead to a certain moment in which
I was locked in a 1 on 1 boss fight with a much stronger opponent, leading to me having to run back and forth, Benny Hill style, and kill him with wounding arrows.
I've heard people like Luj1 complain how most modern RPGs are just inferior reskins of what they played 20 years ago, and my point is, KCD doesn't feel like that at all. It does its own thing, and if that makes it jank, so be it.

It shows in the presentation even more than the gameplay, meaning that the story doesn't have the "blockbuster feel" of something like Shadowrun: Dragonfall - the quests feel like work as much as adventuring - but I still liked them because the world they take place in is so inviting. This is the best thing to come out of the aim for realism: all the characters feel human in the way they talk, in what they're concerned with, and in their relationship to each other. I particularly liked the dynamic between Henry and Hans Capon: the former's a humble commoner with a "give me a job and I'll do it" approach to life, while the latter is a socially dominant noble, but they still hung out together like bros, no problem.
It enhances both the drama and the comedy. It feels like something you'd see in a Kusturica movie. For example, getting drunk with a priest doesn't sound funny on paper, but you get to know the priest intimately beforehand, so when he does anything even slightly over-the-top or silly, it's hysterical. You're not thinking "it's funny because he's drunk", you're thinking "it's funny because that's so like him".
Some people have complained that the tone isn't dark enough, but I say it's just as dark as it needs to be. The middle ages weren't all misery, all the time; there was good times and bad times, and I think KCD balances those two well.

To make my point clear, I'm not saying KCD is the most well-designed RPG out there, but it managed to win me over because it has a strong personality. Chuck Jones, the greatest animator of all time, said that any artist should take inspiration from outside of his art forme, otherwise it'll end up feeling uninspired. That theory applies to vidya as well, and KCD is a great example. It draws inspiration from the real world, which makes it memorable, interesting, and very worth playing, even if you can get good at everything.
UYohcSC.jpg

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I was super hyped for this game prior to release but I gave up on it pretty quickly because I couldn't into the combat. I dunno, maybe I should give it another go. I have it on ps4 so maybe that's a factor? It just felt awkward as shit and I struggled to even beat the tutorial fights. Could be one that didn't translate well to console, or maybe it's just me. I haven't heard anyone else say it's a bad port so probably I just need to put some more time into mastering it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Do you mean something in the main quest is timed? All I’ve for main quests is go to Radzig. I did the debt and learned how to pickpocket and can practice lockpocking from the Uncle. What a lark that is, too. I got to level 12 lock picking in like 35 minutes.

I’m liking this game so far, but it’s gonna be a long one, looks like. Does it get harder? Because it’s been pretty easy going so far. I’ve

Nah, I'm talking like, once you talk to Radzig, the game just kills you off if you go off the rails until you arrive at the Neuhoff stable.

waken

Educated
Some people have complained that the tone isn't dark enough
I guess some people still can't get enough of the "Game of Thrones dark and mature" shit, I welcome any reprieve from it though. And yeah, KCD is flawed but awesome.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nah, I'm talking like, once you talk to Radzig, the game just kills you off if you go off the rails until you arrive at the Neuhoff stable.

Wait really? Usually when I wake up I run around the world stealing and killing everything for a few weeks.
Is there really a fail scenario there?

waken

Educated
I was super hyped for this game prior to release but I gave up on it pretty quickly because I couldn't into the combat. I dunno, maybe I should give it another go. I have it on ps4 so maybe that's a factor? It just felt awkward as shit and I struggled to even beat the tutorial fights. Could be one that didn't translate well to console, or maybe it's just me. I haven't heard anyone else say it's a bad port so probably I just need to put some more time into mastering it.
I actually think the combat plays better with a gamepad than with M+K, at least if you want to chain up combinations. It's also entirely possible to play though the entire game without gitting gud: you will meet a melee trainer fairly early in the game and can just level up your skills to the point where most enemies will go down from 1-2 hits.

I was super hyped for this game prior to release but I gave up on it pretty quickly because I couldn't into the combat.

Good melee combat in RPGs (KCD, Warband) like real life fencing, requires a time investment to get the muscle memory for the appropriate moves. In Warband, you have to fight until you get it down cold which directional parry blocks which enemy attack, then it comes naturally. In KCD, you have to do the same until your muscle memory gets used to the combos, and can naturally extend whatever combo is available.

However, for best results, see my modding thread, linked in the review, to remove Masterstrike which is a sad joke in late game, flatten out the skill power curves, and make combos more challenging to pull off.

I don't think I've managed to perform a single combo in two playthroughs. :lol: Not that it is needed, once you learn Masterstrike combat becomes a joke anyway. Especially if you equip some decent armor too.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
However, for best results, see my modding thread, linked in the review, to remove Masterstrike which is a sad joke in late game, flatten out the skill power curves, and make combos more challenging to pull off.

A quick google indicates mods aren't available for ps4, but I'll give the game another try anyway. Been needing something to play since finishing Ghost of Tsushima.

I didn't find the combat that hard in Warband, I just got off my horse and melee killed everything. Mounted combat was tricky but ultimately unnecessary for success except in tournaments. I hated the frickin jousting until I eventually got the hang of it but everything else was dead easy to be honest, especially once I got good gear. I'd go to the front of my army in sieges and basically win them singlehanded... okay my Huscarls helped a bit, but it was mostly me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom