Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just started KOTOR II, kinda boring

Severian Silk

I just started playing KOTOR 2 this week. I find the game pretty boring so far. Moving around using the WASD keys is pretty awkward due to the way the mouse is handled. The areas you visit feel like badly designed theme parks. I guess KOTOR 1 was pretty much the same. Here's to hoping the game will get better.

Gondolin

Arcane
I tried KOTOR II because the Codex sort of recommends it. I gave up after finding the technician guy because the game was too boring for me. Then again, I'm not a Star Wars fan.

laclongquan

Arcane
Who would trust Codex recommendation? Proper procedure is that you read LP thread of that game here, then decide.

I mean, if you trust Codex recommend you would totally play Fallout 1 and ignore Fallout 2, or Baldur 1 instead of BG2... Ugh~

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At least 75% of the good stuff in KoTOR2 is interacting with your companions. The combat is banal boring shit. There's no exploration to speak of. It just has very well written characters and Avellone's take on Star Wars mythology. Which is amazing, but you probably have to at least like Star Wars to care about it.

Severian Silk

I wanted to romance Luxa with my female PC, but she turned on my party and I had to kill her.

Thanks for letting us role-play, Obsidian.

:(

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The beginning area of KotOR II are boring outside of the dialogues, it's just overlong and poorly paced. Once you reach Citadel Station the game picks up significantly - there are some pretty good quests there, and the game goes quite well from there until the ending. But yeah, KotOR II is still a storyfag game to be sure, and the engine and core gameplay are not especially good. If you don't enjoy 20-minute conversations with people about the finer philosophical points about the Star Wars universe then you probably won't enjoy the game period.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey I liked Survival Horror in space, reading the dead miners logs and finding out what really happened was fun... More fun that BSB Ship combat in KOTOR 1 anyway, game open itself up and becomes less linear only after Academy which is way down so If you don't like Bio type games with good companions and writing it will not be game for you.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
KOTOR1 probably had better pacing and level design than KOTOR2, really. Many areas in the latter are just way too long and full of corridors and filler combat (it's filler because it's very, very hard to die in the game). The five-hour tutorial is the worst offender, but it applies to the later areas as well. The writing is what makes the game worth playing. It also has some nice choices with consequences which are miles better than anything you see in KOTOR1, even though the rushed ending kind of ruins a lot of that stuff.

But yeah, it does get better later on, it just takes a few hours.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
KOTOR 2 was OK for a Bioware type game, I don't get why it's ranked so highly other than being by Obsidian. If they cut out 50% of the filler/unfinished crap maybe I could recommend it.

Who would trust Codex recommendation? Proper procedure is that you read LP thread of that game here, then decide.

I mean, if you trust Codex recommend you would totally play Fallout 1 and ignore Fallout 2, or Baldur 1 instead of BG2... Ugh~
I think actually FO2 is more popular on the Kodex, the MCA/'CnC' fags are the majority. Not that I dislike 2, but 1 is obviously more polished and in a higher league. As for BG neither BG2 or BG1 are worth playing

Modron

Arcane
KOTOR1 probably had better pacing and level design than KOTOR2, really. Many areas in the latter are just way too long and full of corridors and filler combat (it's filler because it's very, very hard to die in the game).

:rage: Man you must you must be confusing the first game with the second. KOTOR 1 is filled with an inane amount of long-corriders with waves of monsters periodically (basically it was the DA prototype) while KotOR 2 only devolves into that shit periodically (ie at the start and at the end when LucasARTs said we want this game out 6 months early). Even the cities were designed pretty linear, I would say half the gameplay time of the first game stems from developer designed backtracking across cities and occasionally dungeons. Maxing jedi knight speed asap was a necessity to stem the brutal onslaught of corridor after corridor in the first game.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
I played about 1 hour of KOTOR 1 and yes it was ridiculously linear. I think the point is that having 'choice' when the choice is which empty unfinished corridor with locked doors you go down to get to the same place is not really a good thing. At least with Bioware they don't waste your time pretending to give you choice, 'choose-your-corridor' is very Obsidian-ish thing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
KOTOR2 is like a roller coaster that coasts between "boring" and "frustrating."

Also don't listen to people praising the writing, here's an opinion from a super-critical person who only changed said opinion to fit in here:
2j4vafc.png

Man you must you must be confusing the first game with the second. KOTOR 1 is filled with an inane amount of long-corriders with waves of monsters periodically (basically it was the DA prototype) while KotOR 2 only devolves into that shit periodically (ie at the start and at the end when LucasARTs said we want this game out 6 months early).
Combat in kotor is over very quickly and, with the exception of the respawn-fest of the endgame, it's paced so it never feels like you're going too long just killing things. The Sith Lords is almost the same, except for Peragus and the excruciating Nar Shaddaa. I didn't really mind the endgame, it was better than the Star Forge.

circ

Arcane
Pfft. I'll take Star Forge any day over Malachor V or whatever it was called.

Game is nothing special in any way, but it does get better once you get the hell out of Peragus or whatever.

zwanzig_zwoelf

This cocking aroung KOTOR's 'boringness' is ridiculous (I definitely like slow pacing in some games - goal is set, but no need to hurry. Unlike Skyrim, where there's no goal except for running around and screaming 'FUS RO DAH' in every direction (Well, at least Daggerfall was good)).
However, I must agree about level design in KOTOR 2. It feels quite bald (comparing to original), but still, the game is very enjoyable once you finish Peragus.
(Personally, I would edit all these dialog files and remove [Persuade] words from dialogs (except for lies)).
I would strongly recommend to try Game of Thrones RPG once you finish or drop KOTOR 2, if you like good writing. If you are playing RPGs for combat - Mass Effect or Dark Souls are your targets.
By the way, do you have restored content and planet mod installed?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Man you must you must be confusing the first game with the second. KOTOR 1 is filled with an inane amount of long-corriders with waves of monsters periodically (basically it was the DA prototype)
It had corridors, but I don't remember them being that long. Like Roguey said, usually you didn't have to spend too much time just killing things. Most of the areas were pretty small so you could finish them quickly, and the bigger combat-heavy areas usually had dialogue, cutscenes or small side quests to break up the monotony a bit. It also had several hubs that had relatively little combat. KOTOR2 has a couple of hubs too, but they're rather empty and have tons of combat, like Citadel Station / Telos, Nar Shaddaa and Onderon.

Then again, it's been several years since I played KOTOR1 and less than a year since I played KOTOR2, so maybe I'd be more critical towards the former if I played it again now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's with the peanut gallery?
KOTOR 2 kicks ass because of the writing, voice-acting, direction, dialogue and mechanics/narrative angle. It also has Kreia, which makes it an all-time favorite. It certainly deserves to be named in one breath with PS:T and MotB, joining the ranks of games with terrible combat but great story/writing.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
If you are an Obsidian/MCA groupie. I don't play games for the 'story' I look at how fun the gameplay is, which Obsidian-ish RPGs fail at. If I have to walk through two miles of bland corridor to get to the next snipped of voice-acted dialog it is not worth my time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We all know that they fail at that. That's why they fail as games but stand strong as stories. Different strokes for different folks. My tastes are just more eclectic and I can tolerate this as much as I can tolerate a "game" game like God Hand.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KotOR 2 is shit, just like the old KotOR was. Don't bother. Codexians just like it because it has Obsidian logo.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's not true; they like it because it's well-written and intelligent. Most games like that are easy to like if that's the thing you look for.

I'm getting tired of this. Say what you want. I'm certain my tastes are much superior to most of yours.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It certainly deserves to be named in one breath with PS:T and MotB, joining the ranks of games with terrible combat but great story/writing.
Nah, I disagree. The writing of KOTOR2 is good (although a bit "mannered" at times) but it suffers from so much repetition that it's not even in the same ball park with PS:T or even MotB (except for Kreia, I guess), and the story is barely even a story since half of it is missing. PS:T and MotB are also intensely atmospheric games that have an awesome setting unlike KOTOR2 which only really has some occasional moments of brilliance here and there. Sometimes even MCA isn't enough.

Dragula

Augur
Kreia has fucking fantastic writing. The combat is atrocious though, you can just spam force lightning and pretty much kill anything.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kreia has fucking fantastic writing. The combat is atrocious though, you can just spam force lightning and pretty much kill anything.

Which are Dark Side power so if you're not highly charismatic Jedi Consular you can't just spam it, not to mention the Sith tomb on Corriban where good Jedi Knight can't regenerate it forces at all or entire level where you use your much weaker and less equipped companions.... who're better not to be leveled untill converted. Besides mayority of foes you fight are blunds and droids who should be no match for Jedi anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
In my experience Star Wars fans dislike KOTOR 2 rather violently and quite enjoy 1.
But maybe you met different people and opinions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom