Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPG version of Planescape: Torment.

bryce77

Scholar
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21475.html

By Mistwalker Studios, Hironobu Sakaguchi's new MS-sponsored development house. A 1000-year old immortal that suffers from amnesia must save the world and re-discover his humanity. This is bound to be much better than Torment; just look at that silky hair!

P.S. Here's one of the comments on the video page:

Fraud said:
Posted 7-11-2007 3:16am

Finally a new orginal rpg story

:cool:

Lumpy

Arcane
Wow, it even rips off the starting cinematic of PST: the part where he extends his hand towards the girl, and she falls off the cliff.

psycojester

Arbiter
Finally a new orginal rpg story

If its not on the Playstation it doesn't exist

Althou' i must say, it has some nice graphics and art-style but the core gameplay was straight out of last-gen,RPG game: static enviroments, turn-based combat, linear story etc etc. But fan of J-rpg's won't mind cause it's excatly what they want :)

Thats my favourite quote

Suicidal

Arcane
Hah, I've never even imagined someone would ever rip-off PS:T's story. But they also defiled it by adding the obligatory "save t3h world" nonsence, not to mention the whole idea of sticking it to a jRPG.

Nedrah

Erudite
It's a great theme. Let's grant the jrpg crowd a piece of it, however shit smeared it may be.

Lumpy

Arcane
And to regain his mortality and save the world, he will have to collect the crystals of fire, water, earth and air.
And is he battling an army of anthropomorphic mp3 players in the first trailer? :shock:

fastpunk

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Wow, it even rips off the starting cinematic of PST: the part where he extends his hand towards the girl, and she falls off the cliff.

But the girl here is younger so, no rip off :wink:

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought they were making a sequel to PS:T... and considering the type of sequels they make today, it would have been very bad news!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Interesting idea, since PS:T is basically a mix of CRPG and JRPG (don't deny it!).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, they're far worse examples since they suck, while PS:T manages to do away with everything that makes JRPGs suck, leaving only the good core. Except for annoying spell animation cutscenes.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
See, this is why we nuked the shit out of Japan. I'm telling you, those slanty eyed fuckers need to go.

We gotta nuke them again. Seriously.

Deleted member 7219

WTF? How is that like Torment?

get a grip Codex.

psycojester

Arbiter
It has an amnesiac immortal.

And Jrpg's have never done a story about an androgynous amnesiac CHOSUN WUN! saving the world from complete destruction before.

Lumpy

Arcane
Uhh - let's see.
He is immortal. He can't remember his past lives. He is tormented by his immortality. He has no idea why it happens.
And he reaches hands out to girls who then (disappear and zombify) fall off cliffs.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Amnesiac's pretty common plot device but it depends on how far the game is willing to take it. I'm not surprised at all by this game, but to call it an attempt to copy Torment is a bit over-reacting don't you think?

whitemithrandir

Erudite
RK47 said:
Amnesiac's pretty common plot device but it depends on how far the game is willing to take it. I'm not surprised at all by this game, but to call it an attempt to copy Torment is a bit over-reacting don't you think?
'

I hate the fucking japs and I love Torment, so no, not overreacting.

Suicidal

Arcane
Amnesiac is a pretty common plot device, I agree, but how common is an immortal amnesiac?

Lumpy

Arcane
Suicidal said:
Amnesiac is a pretty common plot device, I agree, but how common is an immortal amnesiac?
Tormented immortal amnesiac.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hahahah. You have a point there.
Let's hope they give credit where its due if that is the case then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom