Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jrpg fans don't understand why everyone hates them

Seriously, just

burzum.jpg

Double Ogre

Scholar
Some comments are outright ridiculous.
a nice mirror held up to JRPGs. they're seriously outdated in nearly every facet of a game - turn based combat, text boxes, elipses, androgynous teenagers fighting an undeniably evil authority figure.

mass effect is an excellent example showing that dialogue can be just as interactive as combat, not some put-down-controller show. i can't stand many jrpgs now since none of them can offer much interactivity compared to more advanced, immersive wrpgs.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Emotional Vampire said:
Uh oh, looks like japtard part of Codex is going to be BAAAWWWWWWing massively itt.

I thought I was the only one around here who doesn't mind jRPG's - probably why I'm rather quiet... :D

You mean the ones which were fucking identical to "past-FFVII ones" but you're too blinded by nostalgia of playing SNES in your parent's room to notice?

Me. Fortunately I didn't have a SNES

I hate JRPGs, but I respect the way that they haven't abandoned their target market in search of selling to the FPS crowd. They don't care what the gaming press calls 'next-gen', and I think that is part of what infuriates so many gaming journalists and western players. How dare they make Turn-based games when game journalists and marketing hype has already declared that TB games are obsolete! How dare they make games targeted to fans of their genre, rather than changing the genre to make it more appealing to people who don't like those kind of games!

I actually think our best hope of seeing a major studio revival of good tactical rpgs would be if the JRPG makers were to hire western writers in an attempt to broaden their western appeal without changing their gameplay. That way you'd get TB combat without the giant swords and androgenous teens, and maybe even C+C. Just showing that TB combat can still sell means that JRPGs are helping the true rpg cause more than any major western studio at present.

Azrael the cat said:
I hate JRPGs, but I respect the way that they haven't abandoned their target market in search of selling to the FPS crowd.

That's like respecting muslims for being most rabid and traditional of all religions.

And no next-gen bullshit? Nigga please. jRPGs were always most next-gen of all RPGs. When a new wRPG is released, players will ask about character creation, quests, non-linearity, or at the very least whether you can be a bad guy or not. jRPG? Two questions - who is the character designer and music composer. The rest simply doesn't matter. Well, all jRPGs are same shit anyway so why should it? People bitch about how modern RPGs are all bloomfests with orchestral music... well guess what - jRPGs were ALWAYS about all that. When, long ago, japs couldn't put in enough polygons and bitrate because of hardware limitations, they simply made up for it with tens of minutes of CGI(or anime). Then they used said CGI to advertise the game, too. And they still do, actually.

Your turn-based rant is just silly. TB in jRPGs was always a joke. Most of them don't even have a fucking battlefield, for fuck's sake, just 3-4 commands to choose from. Not to mention it's usually "active" turns, which means the game doesn't actually stop when you're choosing said commands. So saying that jRPGs are some kind of last bastion of turn-based gameplay is just retarded.

Then again I'm on Codex, so you probably think TB, especially TB with no battlefield and 3-4 commands is superior to all no matter what and your favourite game is some insanely hard dungeon crawler(Hint: You can't make a dungeon crawler hard, just broken) from twenty years ago with 0 C&C and essentially Oblivion without exploration, graphics, music, physics, AI or quests. BUT WITH TURNS.

Saran

Scholar
ffVII introduced me to crpgs, so while I have lost all interest in the genre and find the storylines to be tedious and childish, I will always have a soft spot for them in my otherwise cold and hate filled heart.

oh aerith-chan :oops:

Mattresses

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Mattresses said:
Emotional Vampire said:
standard shit

I AM SO ANGRY THAT I AM NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE!!!

Why would I be angry I'm not mentally handicapped? :?:

I'm not sure, why would you be angry you're not mentally handicapped?
It's not exactly a common peeve, it's interesting you raise the topic at all, really.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jappos can make some amazing dungeon crawlers when they aren't busy making cutsey fap material for pedophiles. Just looking at FROM SOFTWARE's RPGs proves this (King's Field, Demon's Souls, Shadow Tower). All of these games have heavy western influence, but none of the pussified difficulty or pedo shit. It's kinda like the best of both worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom