Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review JRPG Codex Review: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Do Euros even make cartoons anymore, I only know of Peppa Pig and that looks awful.
I wouldn't know, everyone I know (and the younger ones in fam) all still watch old European cartoons and American ones (Tom & Jerry for example), no matter their age. There's not much of a difference in the media consumed across generations when it comes to cartoons from what I've observed.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There are a ton of jrpgs that don't have any lolis that are nevertheless disliked because of the art.
Infantilized cartoony art is the same shit. Big bulging eyes, small noses and mouths etc.

When the cartoony art is well done (and not infantilized) like in D:OS, I have no problem with it.

Alex

Arcane
Whether something is a JRPG depends on gameplay, not on where it was made. Dark Souls or Resonance of Fate are not JRPGs, but LISA and Anachronox are.
It's just mentally handicapped people are incapable of understanding that JRPG doesn't mean "literally any RPG made in Japan", it means "game in style of Japanese RPGs" and the term was used to describe shit like FF or DQ.
Dark Souls doesn't play like a western RPG (you would not be able to provide a single example of a western game it's "copying"). It's a jrpg.

I thought Dark Souls was a 3d beat'em up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your rebuttal doesn't make sense. I disagree with that statement. Tell me more.

The gameplay of Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls, New Vegas, Mass Effect, and the like is more palatable to me than most Euro RPGs. The masses agree. Europeans like/tolerate things that are janky and they like things that are hard, and to me (and most Americans) that is the worst combination. If something's going to have poor control/feedback/animation, at least make it easy, that's acceptable enough.

what's with this euro this euro that as if we were a blob
it's not fucking america where there are only freedumb anglos and canadian anglos and whole lotta goddamn spics everywhere you go
Frogs and Krauts and Slavs and so on all seem to really like each others' games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You seem to move the the goalpost of your arguments for every post.

American rpgs do better in America due to marketing. The games you mention are just as janky as Euro rpgs. Give those to uninitiated people, and they would probably not be able to guess which is Euro based, or America based.

What games are particularly difficult, in your opinion? Gothic? It's more about gated content than difficulty.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The gameplay of Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls, New Vegas, Mass Effect, and the like is more palatable to me than most Euro RPGs. The masses agree. Europeans like/tolerate things that are janky and they like things that are hard, and to me (and most Americans) that is the worst combination. If something's going to have poor control/feedback/animation, at least make it easy, that's acceptable enough.
Gothic controls are more responsive than anything you listed. The only jank comes from target locking when there's a crowd of enemies.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This is western cope. Dark Souls has action jrpg-derived design.

Ask any JRPG fan for a JRPG and they will look at you weid for recommending Dark Souls.
It's a Japanese Action RPG. It's not a JRPG though. It has none of the things that appeal to JRPG fans.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Clearly all Dark Souls games are based on legendary smash hit Drakan Order of the Flame. Checkmate, weebs.

10356976-drakan-order-of-the-flame-magazine-advertisement-pc-joker-german.jpg

caffeine

Novice
I don't get where the argument of euros being scared of cartoony art comes from. Manga and anime became popular in Europe before it did in America and it still enjoys a lot of popularity here, as well as reasonable social acceptability compared to the US.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
So one super "fun" thing about these games (at least Sky/Cold Steel) is the performance review. At regular chapters you are rated on numerous easily missable events and quests, where skipping even one permanently locks you out of numerous rewards and benefits. Since the game carries over stuff between titles, you're meant to play each of these 100+ hour games multiple times to perfect your rank for each game. That's not even talking about the mutually exclusive optional events; in order to have a complete file for all characters you need, yep, multiple playthroughs. Everything transfers between games so I don't know how many times you would have to play all 4 Cold Steel games to get everything.

Really, there's regular weeb games, kawaiidesudesu nonsense, then there's this.

Manga and anime became popular in Europe
I don't know what it's like in west europe but weebs in slavic countries (russia is the worst for this) deserve death, the most retarded people i have every encountered. better to have a country full of alocholic degenerates than those scum. fuck weebs

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't get where the argument of euros being scared of cartoony art comes from. Manga and anime became popular in Europe before it did in America and it still enjoys a lot of popularity here, as well as reasonable social acceptability compared to the US.
Roguey clearly knows nothing about Europe.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Manga and anime became popular in Europe
I don't know what it's like in west europe but weebs in slavic countries (russia is the worst for this) deserve death, the most retarded people i have every encountered. better to have a country full of alocholic degenerates than those scum. fuck weebs
best you nuts stay in your 'slavic countries' and we normal people stay in our European countries, and we drop some bombs on your heads

elverkongen

Learned
Chrono Trigger is probably as complex, spatially, as you can go without changing the genre; and the only because it is implemented in a way that it hardly matters.
The series that* the game being discussed is a part of is known for having combat that emphasizes positioning (albeit to a lesser extent in the Cold Steel series). Positioning matters, not as much as in a tactical game but much more than typical JRPGs, Chrono Trigger included. And yet, it still is unequivocally a JRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom