Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review JRPG Codex Review: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gothic disagrees with you, even though I dislike almost all Action RPGs. Some classic RPGs are from Europe too, such as Realms of Arkania or Amberstar. Underrail is from Serbia, etc.

Gothic is keyboard-only motion sickness-inducing jank that only Euros and Euro-minded Americans can get into. Turn-based RPGs typically aren't Eurojank, though they do sometimes get into the realm of shovelware.

I bet @Roguey is wondering why the fuck did I post two screenshots of FFVI...

Are cartoony wrpgs also jrpgs? That would be ridiculous. Jrpgs and wrpgs are a loose collection of common design elements.

Lol, implying americans can make good action games...

As far as melee-combat oriented games go, they don't. They have a better grasp at it than Europeans though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Chad euro player: "This gameplay is state of the art, and if a few clipping textures are the price for these complex mechanics, then I will gladly pay it."

Virgin kwan: "Noooooo these lens flares don't look nearly enough realistic and I can't handle these controls on my xbox"

Arthandas

Prophet
Are cartoony wrpgs also jrpgs? That would be ridiculous. Jrpgs and wrpgs are a loose collection of common design elements.
Whether something is a JRPG depends on gameplay, not on where it was made. Dark Souls or Resonance of Fate are not JRPGs, but LISA and Anachronox are.
It's just mentally handicapped people are incapable of understanding that JRPG doesn't mean "literally any RPG made in Japan", it means "game in style of Japanese RPGs" and the term was used to describe shit like FF or DQ.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whether something is a JRPG depends on gameplay, not on where it was made. Dark Souls or Resonance of Fate are not JRPGs, but LISA and Anachronox are.
It's just mentally handicapped people are incapable of understanding that JRPG doesn't mean "literally any RPG made in Japan", it means "game in style of Japanese RPGs" and the term was used to describe shit like FF or DQ.
Dark Souls doesn't play like a western RPG (you would not be able to provide a single example of a western game it's "copying"). It's a jrpg.

Cross

Arcane
Dark Souls doesn't play like a western RPG (you would not be able to provide a single example of a western game it's "copying"). It's a jrpg.

Since the developer was Spanish, this also crushes your arguments against European RPGs. :troll:

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since the developer was Spanish, this also crushes your arguments against European RPGs.
I played Blade of Darkness. It's terrible and nothing like Dark Souls other than extremely broad elements like "third person action game with a stamina bar."

Dark Souls was derived from King's Field which was a jrpg take on Ultima Underworld much like how Dragon Quest was a jrpg take on the first Ultima (and Wizardry).

Arthandas

Prophet

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The usual definition of JRPG, including on the Codex, is that those have Japanese-style anime weaboo graphics.

That's why Dark Spire, for example, is not in the JRPG section. The only difference is that it does not have anime.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
he usual definition of JRPG, including on the Codex, is that those have Japanese-style anime weaboo graphics.

That's why Dark Spire, for example, is not in the JRPG section. The only difference is that it does not have anime.
Art style does not define a genre or subgenre. I know this forum is full of people who feel really insecure about playing games that look like cartoons, another aspect of the European mind.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I know this forum is full of people who feel really insecure about playing games that look like cartoons
Nah it just looks like shit lol it has nothing to do with "looking like cartoons", that's way too broad. The simple fact is that weeb "art" is a cancer to the eyes that *coincidentally* attracts the most degenerate lot, I wonder why that is.

You realize anime and styles close to it don't encompass the aesthetics of all cartoons, right?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I know this forum is full of people who feel really insecure about playing games that look like cartoons, another aspect of the European mind.
"I don't like my RPGs being full of cartoon lolis."
"You must feel really insecure."

:retarded:

As to what this has to do with the "European mind" that you claim to know so much about, it is another mystery for the ages.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JRPGs are rpgs made in Japan. Those who think otherwise aren't even worth insulting. They should be shot with two bullets in the back of the head.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The simple fact is that weeb "art" is a cancer to the eyes that *coincidentally* attracts the most degenerate lot, I wonder why that is.
Japanese cartoons look better than the majority of modern American cartoons.

"I don't like my RPGs being full of cartoon lolis."
"You must feel really insecure."
There are a ton of jrpgs that don't have any lolis that are nevertheless disliked because of the art.

As to what this has to do with the "European mind" that you claim to know so much about, it is another mystery for the ages.
Europeans hate color and cartoony stylization, there was a thread split over this https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...es-americans-vs-europeans-vs-japanese.146371/

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Japanese cartoons look better than the majority of modern American cartoons.
Oh, we're talking about Kwans now? What happened to that "Euro mindset" you keep going on about then? Modern American cartoons are shit too, I never said otherwise.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I didn't know that Roguey was Euro racist.

Please tell me of all these American rpgs with non-janky gameplay.

Fallout? (Bethesda)
Elder Scrolls?
Alpha Protocol?
Neverwinter Nights 2?
Mass Effect?
Dragon Age 2?
Bloodlines? (Both games)
Arcanum? (God forgive me for saying this about my GOAT)
Etc.

They might have higher production values, but let us not pretend like they have top notch combat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, we're talking about Kwans now? What happened to that "Euro mindset" you keep going on about then? Modern American cartoons are shit too, I never said otherwise.
Do Euros even make cartoons anymore, I only know of Peppa Pig and that looks awful.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Fallout? (Bethesda)
Elder Scrolls?
Alpha Protocol?
Neverwinter Nights 2?
Mass Effect?
Dragon Age 2?
Bloodlines? (Both games)
Etc.

They might have higher production values, but let us not pretend like they have top notch combat.

As far as melee-combat oriented games go, they don't. They have a better grasp at it than Europeans though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Fallout? (Bethesda)
Elder Scrolls?
Alpha Protocol?
Neverwinter Nights 2?
Mass Effect?
Dragon Age 2?
Bloodlines? (Both games)
Etc.

Your rebuttal doesn't make sense. I disagree with that statement. Tell me more.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
what's with this euro this euro that as if we were a blob
it's not fucking america where there are only freedumb anglos and canadian anglos and whole lotta goddamn spics everywhere you go

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I find it funny now that you mention it, because there are very different types of Euro games, bat let us forget about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom