Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review JRPG Codex Review: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie

Shadenuat

Arcane
So one super "fun" thing about these games (at least Sky/Cold Steel) is the performance review. At regular chapters you are rated on numerous easily missable events and quests, where skipping even one permanently locks you out of numerous rewards and benefits. Since the game carries over stuff between titles, you're meant to play each of these 100+ hour games multiple times to perfect your rank for each game. That's not even talking about the mutually exclusive optional events; in order to have a complete file for all characters you need, yep, multiple playthroughs. Everything transfers between games so I don't know how many times you would have to play all 4 Cold Steel games to get everything.

Really, there's regular weeb games, kawaiidesudesu nonsense, then there's this.
Getting S is usually about one obscure quest about saving another cat and it doesn't affect plot so idk (or like it does affect plot but losing is very hard)

And of course fuck fisheng

In the end best part of good trails games is that they're just relaxing. Kiddo first adventuring, camaraderie, seeing party grow and become friends, characters being somewhat likeable etc.
It's what wrpgs lost long time ago, as everyone ever there atm has to be as unlikable as possible as writers themselves just hate good stories and humanity or whatever or tryhards muh serious wreteng.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's 2023 we can do away with meaningless and racist terms born out of early 2000s nerds' false sense of superiority. Do we call Gothic and ELEX "German RPG", Witcher series "PRPG" or Larian's brand of games "BRPG"?
View attachment 40164
I look like this and say this
Hey, man. I ain't judging. Just thought your post was kind of cringe.

To give more than a meme: JRPG is a useful label because they're very distinct from other RPGs in many, many aspects. Plus, the label probably arose due to American infatuation with Japanese culture, IDK.

Shaki

Arbiter
It's 2023 we can do away with meaningless and racist terms born out of early 2000s nerds' false sense of superiority. Do we call Gothic and ELEX "German RPG", Witcher series "PRPG" or Larian's brand of games "BRPG"?
The term JRPG properly refers to a specific subgenre of RPGs that are characterized by a focus on narrative driven by pre-generated characters, while combat, exploration, and character customization/progression aspects are simplified though still present. The game being reviewed here seems to belong to that subgenre. Not all JRPGs are Japanese-developed, and Japanese developers create many games not in the JRPG subgenre, in particular Wizardry-likes and Action RPGs.

Also the Codex's #1 CRPG GoAT belongs in the JRPG subgenre.
7835619-planescape-torment-windows-front-cover.jpg
In reality Codex segregates them purely by graphics, as proven by Troubleshooter being in JRPG forum.

Modron

Arcane
In reality Codex segregates them purely by graphics, as proven by Troubleshooter being in JRPG forum.
Troubleshooter is from Korean developers, so just read the following (which is JRPG's description, bolded the pertinent part):
For all your DESUDESUDESU needs, where everything released in an asian language or from an asian developer can be discussed. If it remotely smells Japanese, put it in here.
That's not to say they can't be a little overzealous like in the case of my Fading Afternoon thread getting moved to JRPG but hey it's got better visibility there anyways.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The characters come and go throughout the game, much like in previous entries. Don't get too attached to anyone for too long and try not to equip your absolute strongest equipment or gems on anyone but the main characters until you have plenty enough to go around; the way the game flows is entirely dependent on the plot.
Ugh! So many of these games conveniently forget the shit you gear up on your “temp” party members just to reintroduce them with shit gear. Yeah, strip their asses down to nothing before they bugger off with what you gave them.

Rean: hey guys I wrote a review of this JRPG I played

Codex: what is the definition of eurojank though
We're changing the topic because no one wants to discuss whatever this panty sniffer wrote.
Fucking JRPG on the front page...
This is the 10th game? Good lord!

JRPGs are rpgs made in Japan. Those who think otherwise aren't even worth insulting. They should be shot with two bullets in the back of the head.
What are Korean rpgs called? KRPGS?
What are Chinese rpgs called. CRPGS? (Hooo hoo hoo hoo. That’s what chinkers do best)
What are Mexixcan Rpgs called? MRPGS? (Me so sleepy senior)
What are Russian rpgs called? RRPGs (or pirated rpgs Yaarrrrrpgs)

Clearly all Dark Souls games are based on legendary smash hit Drakan Order of the Flame. Checkmate, weebs.

10356976-drakan-order-of-the-flame-magazine-advertisement-pc-joker-german.jpg
So no pc port of Drakan 2?

This game looks like JRPG the JRPG. They even have the bikini beach sidequest in the Steam screenshots.

ss_1b04f003b36a2f822771d153d5998ac53db4d65c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ad9102bbb5ade5abac9cea7db0df412d4ef593c7.1920x1080.jpg
Jap dudes are always beta males. Not a single confident dude in a Speedo flexing and saying the bitches are all his. Problem is Japs think muscles are homo so bitches would refer to the “dudes” around him.

The legend of garbage... Serious, who even plays this trash?
The fact you can't build a party of faggots and fuck a bear doesn't make it a trash. You and your new standards.
The new metrics for games is how “fucking BEARABLE” is it?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
JRPGs are rpgs made in Japan. Those who think otherwise aren't even worth insulting. They should be shot with two bullets in the back of the head.
The "J" stands for "Japanese", yeah. But why did the Japanese get their own acronym for their RPGs?

Because they were very much unlike others. At first it would have been simple to call their games simplified console RPGs, until Americans also started making their own simplified console RPGs that also were considerably different in gameplay (e.g. Mass Effect).
At this point I stick with the "Japanese tropes" definition of "JRPG" because it is what makes or breaks these games for their fanbase.

Wizardry and Ultima? "Nah".
Wizardry and Ultima, but with big titty anime girls and a shonen protagonist? "GAME OF THE YEAR".

TheCumGuzzler

Novice
Larian's games would be called RRPG "Retard Role-Playing Game"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

How would you classify games like from Zeboyd? These aren't influenced by anything western, they are directly in the tradition of 16bit SNES-era/GENESIS-era jRPGs and calling them anything else seems just wrong.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I played the early ultima and wizardry jap versions and I saw NO BIG TIDDY characters. Highly disappointing to say the least. Minax had a little more color and two frames of movement if that gets you hot n bothered. Psh…. Even ULTIMA: EXODUS had little more than a little girl quest yo get a flowers. And her name was “Sherry (Noriko Hidaka)?”
NorikoHidakaMSXU3.gif
Someone wanna pop her cherry? But j-perv imho.

GuardRedNESU3.gif
FMGuard.gif
Giant.gif
FMOrc.gif
GuardRedNESU3.gif
FMGuard.gif
Giant.gif
FMOrc.gif
GuardRedNESU3.gif
FMGuard.gif
Giant.gif
FMOrc.gif
GuardRedNESU3.gif
FMGuard.gif
Giant.gif
FMOrc.gif

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
Eurojank > amerijank.

European games have always been superior to anything americans made. Probably because they are a mutt race.

You only think that because the shit games stay in europe. There is some real trash out here, you only know the good stuff.
The bad shit is easy enough to see with computer emulators, the same with older Japanese PCs, it was easier to see with their fangames for Fighter Maker 2, RPGMaker and fan shmups until one of the main japanese fangame filehosters pruned their servers.

Since the developer was Spanish, this also crushes your arguments against European RPGs.
I played Blade of Darkness. It's terrible and nothing like Dark Souls other than extremely broad elements like "third person action game with a stamina bar."

Dark Souls was derived from King's Field which was a jrpg take on Ultima Underworld much like how Dragon Quest was a jrpg take on the first Ultima (and Wizardry).
Blade of Darkness is eurojank and obviously low budget unlike Dark/Demons Souls, From Soft got publisher money from Sony and Bamco to publish their products.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Some stuff of jrpg fandom is amusing esp the translated into English. WD did ok with Lunar and certain games imho except removing certain religious shit and titties. Honestly, censorship is shit IMHO. Diablo titties… NICE! Censored shit… bleh.
I’d like to see that cosmic fantasy translated and a lot of others no matter how bad they are. Seems like AI could do this.

That said, my hardcore CRPG gaming goes to American titles and some European first. Just by the number of ones I enjoyed and completed, that is pretty clear.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

How would you classify games like from Zeboyd? These aren't influenced by anything western, they are directly in the tradition of 16bit SNES-era/GENESIS-era jRPGs and calling them anything else seems just wrong.
RPGs

Derringer

Prophet
Some stuff of jrpg fandom is amusing esp the translated into English. WD did ok with Lunar and certain games imho except removing certain religious shit and titties. Honestly, censorship is shit IMHO. Diablo titties… NICE! Censored shit… bleh.
I’d like to see that cosmic fantasy translated and a lot of others no matter how bad they are. Seems like AI could do this.
There's text hookers that work off of online translation engines like deepl people made but they're not terribly reliable since they break without the devs babysitting them. A couple of them do work that don't rely on translations instead of just reading the text (bilinear filtering helps it read low res blocky text) but a lot of them have problems.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They are rpgs. They try to mimic what a jrpgs do, and I might even enjoy a few of them, but the Japanese is always missing from them. From writing (not quality, but style), to mood, atmosphere, and everything else in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom