Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer interviewed at Ragequit.gr and Darkstation

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The big shift of focus from Act 1 & 2 to Act 3 & 4 is where I feel the ideas from different people were pasted together. I wonder who came up with the end of the game in the story draft. I feel that possibly they used some of George Ziet's story ideas but flopped at implementing/handling them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Translation from retardo:

combat-heavy = full of trash mobs even though it was supposed to have none :lol:
well written = IT HAS OVER 2 BILLION WORDS!!!1 - simple people entertained by simple things
interesting setting = forgotten realms with guns

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trash-heavy RTwP fauxsometric pretentiously wordy cRPGs in slightly tweaked (ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL!) generic settings are a favorite of mine also.

Fairfax

Arcane
The story in the first couple of acts is a bit generic and uninspired, but it was decent enough. Then the faction system was wasted on shallow, unambiguous factions that only make a real difference in Defiance Bay. The endgame itself should've been about the player's decisions and rise within major factions and perhaps an independent path. Defeating the Mysterious Cult Leader™ should've been the end of Act 2 and the turning point for the second half.

Oh, and another thing that really bothered me: the gods are fake but powerful. Alright, but if their very "existence" is at risk due to the conservative villains, and they're already breaking their rules by helping me, why the hell didn't they intervene in a meaningful way? Basically all they did was give the player immunity to fall damage for a little while, with a bunch of souls working as a parachute. With so much at stake, is this all they can do? Help an average joe who was lucky enough to survive a biwacwhatever descend into a pit and fight the most OP sorcerer in the world's history?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Translation from retardo:

combat-heavy = full of trash mobs even though it was supposed to have none :lol:
well written = IT HAS OVER 2 BILLION WORDS!!!1 - simple people entertained by simple things
interesting setting = forgotten realms with guns

Trash-heavy RTwP fauxsometric pretentiously wordy cRPGs in slightly tweaked (ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL!) generic settings are a favorite of mine also.

Shouldn't you be playing Fallout 4?

Sizzle

Arcane
The story in the first couple of acts is a bit generic and uninspired, but it was decent enough. Then the faction system was wasted on shallow, unambiguous factions that only make a real difference in Defiance Bay. The endgame itself should've been about the player's decisions and rise within major factions and perhaps an independent path. Defeating the Mysterious Cult Leader™ should've been the end of Act 2 and the turning point for the second half.

Oh, and another thing that really bothered me: the gods are fake but powerful. Alright, but if their very "existence" is at risk due to the conservative villains, and they're already breaking their rules by helping me, why the hell didn't they intervene in a meaningful way? Basically all they did was give the player immunity to fall damage for a little while, with a bunch of souls working as a parachute. With so much at stake, is this all they can do? Help an average joe who was lucky enough to survive a biwacwhatever descend into a pit and fight the most OP sorcerer in the world's history?

If I remember correctly, it was stated that they can't directly act (only through proxies such as Thaos and the PC), because of some truce pact between the gods. All of them (besides Berath) already formed alliances between themselves, one of the lore books indicates that Eothas was probably teamed-up with Hylea, before he snuffed it.

But yeah, I was digging the story (the setting had a lot of potential for good stories, even though it was set in not-Sword-Coast, probably the blandest part of the world) up until the very end and the whole do-we-need-Gods-who-aren't-really-Gods-oh-this-is-such-a-philosophical-query-but-not-really-eh diatribe.

That, Thaos being such an unmemorable villain, and The Watcher's condition being so underused, are probably the biggest reasons why the story never fully comes together.

I really wish Avellone had more of a hand in this.

Also, as already mentioned ITT, it does seem that Zeits was responsible for much of the basic plot (before he left and everything got mish-mashed together), certainly the Woedica part, at least.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted

Let me explain the game story, plot, writing, themes etc to you and other poor lost men at large:

The first act does a very good job at introducing the player to the setting in general and particularly to the catastrophic situation at hand in the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood. First introduction to who might be behind it (Mysterious Cult Leader™). Main Themes: Discovery and Dispair

The second act is about solving Defiance Bay complicated faction arrangement and the animancy/hollowborn controversy while investigating who might be behind it (Mysterious Cult Leader™). Main Themes: Conflict and Hope

The third and fourth acts lets you navigate through the magical shrouds in Eír Glanfath by crossing Twin Elms to reach Burial Island and settle the game's main quest that was introduced in early Act 1, killing the boss (Mysterious Cult Leader™) and deciding the fate of the region. Main Themes: Mysterty and Resolution/Acomplishment

Looks like a well constructed structure for a cRPG to me. Side quests of excellent quality with good writing and memorable NPCs and situations to be solved with interesting C&C abound.

A seemingly crazed atheist tells you gods are fake, but are they really? Or is just the delusion of a defeated political actor from ages ago? The gods are very powerful indeed, as proven by cleric spells, stated as the masterpiece creation of an advanced and doomed civilization, but they work in mysterious ways, particularly fan-favourite Wael. The game is just the first in the series, do you expect the setting's Lore secrets to be spoon-fed to you? To me, the character's tragectory in the game was very well told as your PC goes from lowly blank state someone and by gaining power and receiving divine to help defeat a major actor in the setting in the course of dozens of hours of gameplay. It left me with a sense of wonder and growth, while also making me reflect on real life and death paralel issues. Which is the purpose of good art (and good games with good stories and systems).

This game is a gem and truly underappreciated in Fallout4codex. I still can't believe how Obsidian pulled this, given what we know now about the conflicts within the company. It will remain forever as a classic in the genre.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Her political movement was about destroying god-worshipping, labeling it as childish. Just like internet atheists of these days... No wonder it failed hard in the face of divine evidence. She will be punished forever for her hubris.

Fairfax

Arcane
If I remember correctly, it was stated that they can't directly act (only through proxies such as Thaos and the PC), because of some truce pact between the gods. All of them (besides Berath) already formed alliances between themselves, one of the lore books indicates that Eothas was probably teamed-up with Hylea, before he snuffed it.

But yeah, I was digging the story (the setting had a lot of potential for good stories, even though it was set in not-Sword-Coast, probably the blandest part of the world) up until the very end and the whole do-we-need-Gods-who-aren't-really-Gods-oh-this-is-such-a-philosophical-query-but-not-really-eh diatribe.

That, Thaos being such an unmemorable villain, and The Watcher's condition being so underused, are probably the biggest reasons why the story never fully comes together.

Also, as already mentioned ITT, it does seem that Zeits was responsible for much of the basic plot (before he left and everything got mish-mashed together), certainly the Woedica part, at least.
Yes, they had a pact, and then Eothas broke it and they killed/made him disappear for it. The thing is, the others break it in order to help the PC.
So Woedica is coming back with a vengeance. Why the hell not do something meaning useful about it, when their own existence is at stake? They're about to be destroyed ffs.
Instead they make the protagonist do their bidding and accept some offer (or not), as if they had any kind of leverage there. The actual reasonable response should've been:
"Look fellas, we're all going to get fucking destroyed if we don't beat this guy. I'm not hunting trash mobs for you."

Let me explain the game story, plot, writing, themes etc to you and other poor lost men at large:

The first act does a very good job at introducing the player to the setting in general and particularly to the catastrophic situation at hand in the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood. First introduction to who might be behind it (Mysterious Cult Leader™). Main Themes: Discovery and Dispair

The second act is about solving Defiance Bay complicated faction arrangement and the animancy/hollowborn controversy while investigating who might be behind it (Mysterious Cult Leader™). Main Themes: Conflict and Hope

The third and fourth acts lets you navigate through the magical shrouds in Eír Glanfath by crossing Twin Elms to reach Burial Island and settle the game's main quest that was introduced in early Act 1, killing the boss (Mysterious Cult Leader™) and deciding the fate of the region. Main Themes: Mysterty and Resolution/Acomplishment

Looks like a well constructed structure for a cRPG to me. Side quests of excellent quality with good writing and memorable NPCs and situations to be solved with interesting C&C abound.
There's nothing to explained. To each their own, I thought it was alright at first and then turned to shit.

A seemingly crazed atheist tells you gods are fake, but are they really? Or is just the delusion of a defeated political actor from ages ago? The gods are very powerful indeed, as proven by cleric spells, stated as the masterpiece creation of an advanced and doomed civilization, but they work in mysterious ways, particularly fan-favourite Wael. The game is just the first in the series, do you expect the setting's Lore secrets to be spoon-fed to you? To me, the character's tragectory in the game was very well told as your PC goes from lowly blank state someone and by gaining power and receiving divine to help defeat a major actor in the setting in the course of dozens of hours of gameplay. It left me with a sense of wonder and growth, while also making me reflect on real life and death paralel issues. Which is the purpose of good art (and good games with good stories and systems).

This game is a gem and truly underappreciated in Fallout4codex. I still can't believe how Obsidian pulled this, given what we know now about the conflicts within the company. It will remain forever as a classic in the genre.
The gods are man-made, that much is clear. And "they work in mysterious ways" is not exactly an excuse when they're talking to you directly and asking you to do their bidding in exchange for their help. They're very clear about their requests and the threat is very clear as well.
If the PC doesn't succeed, they're all destroyed. If they can't do more than give you a spiritual parachute, they deserve to get fucked in the first place.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
The gods are man-made, that much is clear.

Being man-made doesn't mean they are not divine, since lore states that godhood was achieved. You can pretend they aren't to be worshipped if you want to end up like that idiot prisioner person. #LMAO

And "they work in mysterious ways" is not exactly an excuse when they're talking to you directly and asking you to do their bidding in exchange for their help. They're very clear about their requests and the threat is very clear as well.

They really work in mysterious ways, you can't deny it. They celebrate weird deals with the PC to help him and receive things in return by end game. They have their own agendas and their wisdom is beyond mortal understanding. Unless you want to throw the setting in the garbage with a lazy hand-wave, of course. I see that a lot here.

If the PC doesn't succeed, they're all destroyed. If they can't do more than give you a spiritual parachute, they deserve to get fucked in the first place.

Well, the PC succeeds. That is out of the question. Unless the player is a faggot and uninstalls the game. The Gods can interfere in the world in several ways, including the aluded feather fall. Do you actually think stopping the most powerful wordly agent of Woadica, The Exiled Queen, The Oathbinder, The Strangler, is an easy task? You can't be possibly proposing that. Such a feat is truly heroic, and I dare say, mythical.

Btw, I don't think they are DESTROYED if the PC fails, as Woadica's plan is to be restored as queen of the pantheon, submitting her rivals, not becoming The One True Goddess. :P

Xeon

Augur
I think most if not all gods in Forgotten Realms are mortals turned gods like Bhaal for example, could be wrong but I think i read it somewhere.

I think I also saw/read/played something a long time ago with someone trying to destroy the gods and by the end when the protagonist asked the gods why didn't they intervened, they said something like they didn't need to and even if the protagonist failed, still nothing would have happen to them that they didn't already foresee and prepared for. No idea about what Thaos tried to do.

I didn't care much for the story since I did kinda skip a lot of it but Obsidian's games from what I played have meaningful choices. PoE tho is kinda a lot of it is fluff or for a slideshow at end or something, what's up with that. At the end of Act 2, they made a really good scene with the hearing and debate and at the end of it, none of the choices did jack and all of it ended the same way.

Trash combat don't mind that much, IE and most RPGs have trash combat so don't hold it against them but most combat was kinda boring in PoE. Stronghold I looked forward to the most and it was pretty shallow. Dropped after reaching Elm so no idea if it gets better or worse after.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
No idea about what Thaos tried to do.

Restore Woedica's primacy in the pantheon fueling her with Dyrwood baby souls and any other souls he manages to get hold of. He states that clearly in the game.

none of the choices did jack and all of it ended the same way

This is just lies.

Like I said, I liked the "fluff" and "slideshows", or story as we functioning adults call it.

I liked the combat very much, I'd call combat great. Stronghold needs improvement, obviously. It's coming in the next part of the expansion (damn Paradox). We'll see.

Sizzle

Arcane

Yes, they had a pact, and then Eothas broke it and they killed/made him disappear for it. The thing is, the others break it in order to help the PC.
So Woedica is coming back with a vengeance. Why the hell not do something meaning useful about it, when their own existence is at stake? They're about to be destroyed ffs.
Instead they make the protagonist do their bidding and accept some offer (or not), as if they had any kind of leverage there. The actual reasonable response should've been:
"Look fellas, we're all going to get fucking destroyed if we don't beat this guy. I'm not hunting trash mobs for you."

Well, the pact is that they can't directly intervene. Woedica was working with Thaos as her agent, which is permissible, I guess, while Eothas descended down in (more or less) avatar form. And even then, he was destroyed through the treachery of Magran, Woedica, Galawain (also Skaen and Abydon? Can't remember if those two were also involved) and their mortal followers, not by them personally.

Also I don't think it was ever outright stated that Woedica would destroy all of the other gods, just that she would be more powerful than each of them individually, and that it would mess up the delicate status quo of power that the pantheon has going on.

I do agree that it could have been handled better (even though the god quests were some of the better and more interesting ones in the game, so I really don't mind them making the PC do their bidding in order to get them to talk), but Woedica wasn't presented as someone who was set out to destroy the world, or even her fellow gods (subjugate - probably; destroy - no), but rather someone who wanted the power she perceived (rightfully or not) was unjustly stolen from her, and was willing to do anything to get it back.

The story was more about what happens when inscrutable divine politics and backstabbing spill into the real world, then about "stopping" the problem. Even if you didn't arrive to stop Thaos, the Hollowborn crisis would have been resolved either way - he was moments away from sending all that power to Woedica (an option you can also chose), after which no more babies would have been sacrificed. All you can choose is what will be done with the soul energy, and you will always (even inadvertently) fulfill the wishes of at least one god.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

There's nothing to explained. To each their own, I thought it was alright at first and then turned to shit.

The gods are man-made, that much is clear. And "they work in mysterious ways" is not exactly an excuse when they're talking to you directly and asking you to do their bidding in exchange for their help. They're very clear about their requests and the threat is very clear as well.

A couple of things I would like to add. The impression I got was that Woedica interfered first with trying to bring back the fear of the gods. Eothas fucked her plan up by starting a war and then allowing himself to die. The effect of which is that people respected the gods even less. To add to that theory, there was a conversation with Magran, where there opinion among the gods that the people would outgrow them. With the exception of Woedica, I think most of the gods were content just to fade. When Woedica tried to change things back, the other gods sabotaged it in subtle ways.

As for Thaos, I think he worked well in my opinion, because initially it looked like he was Woedica's henchman, but in reality it was the other way around. I think the aspect that I enjoyed is that he was more of a god then the actual gods in some ways. He was the invisible hand that pushed civilization along, and one could view the gods as his tools. The execution of his character, however, in the story could have been better.

That being said, Obsidian totally dropped the ball with being a "Watcher." When the player gets the choice to free, chain, or absorb Maerwald, I thought it would be a consistent choice of how to handle souls. Honestly, I was hoping for something akin to MotB or Kotor 2. Instead, it was a dialogue option that appeared maybe twice. I do not even know why they included such an option if they were not going to use it.

PoE had decent ideas, but it lacked the high points of PST, Kotor 2, and MotB that wrapped all the themes and mechanics together.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted

Well, the pact is that they can't directly intervene. Woedica was working with Thaos as her agent, which is permissible, I guess, while Eothas descended down in (more or less) avatar form. And even then, he was destroyed through the treachery of Magran, Woedica, Galawain (also Skaen and Abydon? Can't remember if those two were also involved) and their mortal followers, not by them personally.

Also I don't think it was ever outright stated that Woedica would destroy all of the other gods, just that she would be more powerful than each of them individually, and that it would mess up the delicate status quo of power that the pantheon has going on.

I do agree that it could have been handled better (even though the god quests were some of the better and more interesting ones in the game, so I really don't mind them making the PC do their bidding in order to get them to talk), but Woedica wasn't presented as someone who was set out to destroy the world, or even her fellow gods (subjugate - probably; destroy - no), but rather someone who wanted the power she perceived (rightfully or not) was unjustly stolen from her, and was willing to do anything to get it back.

The story was more about what happens when inscrutable divine politics and backstabbing spill into the real world, then about "stopping" the problem. Even if you didn't arrive to stop Thaos, the Hollowborn crisis would have been resolved either way - he was moments away from sending all that power to Woedica (an option you can also chose), after which no more babies would have been sacrificed. All you can choose is what will be done with the soul energy, and you will always (even inadvertently) fulfill the wishes of at least one god.

Good post.

The impression I got was that Woedica interfered first with trying to bring back the fear of the gods.

Never had that impression. Where is it mentioned?

Other than that, good post too. Except the Watcher thing, which you seem to had been expecting too much. I agree the Watcher powers and disabilities could have more weight in the story too.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am trying to remember specifically. I think it was a mixture of Thaos dialogue and talking to the other gods in the star chamber. Hence, Woedica tried to sabotage animancy. I think Magran and co. stated that Woedica wanted to keep the gods supreme and mankind in the dark about souls. In contrast, the other gods felt that mankind would eventually move past gods and their ignorance.

It has been several months, and I need a refresher with my new playthrough. I just remember that Eothas potentially gave Woedica the finger somehow.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
One more reason to replay the game when they release the expansion :)

Oh, Woedica certainly has that secrecy aura and holier-than-thou thing going with her. No wonder they felt they needed to BURN her lol

Btw, not sure if Magran is a reliable source since she was the one with the fire that burned The Queen that Was, so she probably have reasons to bitch about her. The whore... :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom