Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer interviewed at Ragequit.gr and Darkstation

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Fixed in a patch.

Did they lower the xp awards or increase the level cap? I finished the game but I know they patched a bunch since then.

7 friends of mine played it. 2 finished it, the other 5 never finished Act 1.

I call bullshit on this. No one here has 7 real-life friends.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A PoE with a hollowed out Defiance Bay (most likely place to cut quests, other areas don't have that many as it is) would have been pretty bad IMO. Some of the most memorable (yes, memorable) quests are there too.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Everyone wants it, except Feargus.
Well it would still be crap with current combat system. That shit needs to be reworked. However, they first need to admit the problem, that system built around "you are a special snow flake" concept is beyond redemption.

Aenra

First reaction was positive, a TB game is a TB game :incline: (assuming this happens)
Until that first second elapsed, and i realised how moronic it makes you look going on public record and stating that, in essence?, we spent all those years building our new IE RTwP engine, except what do you know, maybe now we're going turn based after all! With said same engine, the one we did for... oops.. well, that's ok! On top of that, unless someone else was in charge, TB can only take it so far when you impose limitations such as the ones on PoE. Skills, mechanics, strategical elements or lack of, "balance", stupid superficial near-death-but-not-quite mechanics, etc. A PoE 2.0 (albeit with TB) would be on my maybe-torrent-someday-if-i'm-bored list at best.
Which of course leads to.. don't know about you, but neither combat type nor camera perspective suffice for me, sorry. We got our pwetty gwaphics the first time, and that was O.K. I'd seriously fucking expect something deeper from them this time around.

Xeon

Augur
I think he meant to work on two games, one is the regular RTWP and another is TB. Not scrap the RTWB and change entirely into a TB. In the interview he mentions the Devs wanting to work on Unreal Engine so there is a small possibility that they will change the engine.

I kinda wish they cut the descriptive text and wrote more quests instead but you probably need more programmers to implement the quests, not just writers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
we're talking about ideas for a sequel

have also talked to Feargus about the possibility of making a separate game in the Pillars of Eternity setting focused on turn-based combat

What's not clear here

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pretty sure most players would've enjoyed the game a lot more if it were shorter, had more C&C and better quest design.

Feargus Urquhart disagrees.

Also perspective here, PoE has an 89% positive ranking on Steam and 1576 positive vs 164 mediocre vs 208 negative user ratings on metacritic. That's not a flop, it's not even polarizing as a whole.

Did they lower the xp awards or increase the level cap? I finished the game but I know they patched a bunch since then.

Former with a patch, latter with an expansion pack (though going through the xpack content turns the endgame even more into a joke, though they say they'll be fixing this with the next one).

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I was surprised by the bad reception that PoE got from RPG Codex for months. Then I watched as 50%+ of our population are playing Fallout 4, some retards even praising it, including some supposed monocled members and it all turned clear.

Good interview and good answers by Sawyer. Looking forward for expansion Part 2 (damn Paradox for splitting the expansion).

Weasel
I remember when Paradox first came into the picture a common view was "they'll just be doing the KS rewards and physical distribution but we've been told they won't have influence on anything else. You don't expect Josh to spend time boxing things up do you?"

Now many lay the blame on them for splitting the expansion :lol:

Weasel
I thought it was a factual thing to blame the splitting of the expansion on Paradox. If I'm wrong, correct me.

Perhaps it is, although all I recall seeing is speculation to that effect. I just like how the "publisher" debate has evolved when it comes to their involvement in PoE.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Sorry, I wasn't really following the debate and development. I funded it ($77) in late 2012, then squinted over a few Infinitron updates in the following two years, then played the game fresh in May 2015 and had a great time and cherish it as one of the best RPGs ever made. I particularly didn't care about the physical rewards since my pledge was digital only.

True story.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
PS: In those 2 years, I was busy posting trollish shit on GD and Politics and posting daily selfies on shoutbox and talking about my okcupid dates. Oh, I also came up with some catchphrases to pass the time... Behead all muslims being a community favourite. I admit I eventually chimped out on the administration in a moment of cocaine caffeine-induced frenzy and exhaustion.

In the end, I like to think I learned how to deal with the Commie Gestapo Tyrant Policies of RPGCodex to avoid having my new account being Mossad'd. Now, I moved on to playing and waiting for other cRPGs, such as the incredibly unique AoD and hoping for Torment to not be a total disaster after Saunders departure. Curious about what Avellone wiill deliver on his 7 current projects.

I still love the codex, despite the aforementioned 50%+ population of Fallout4 playing retards. I must say I learned a lot here in the period and my personality changed (I think for the better). That was only possible for joining the Codex after reading about it on PoE's kickstarter comments, which I discovered via the Hero-U kickstarter comments in the first place.

Thank you, Josh Sawyer.

:love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Perhaps it is, although all I recall seeing is speculation to that effect. I just like how the "publisher" debate has evolved when it comes to their involvement in PoE.

It was ultimately an Urquhart decision who agreed with their assessment that an expansion pack released 10 months to a year after release wouldn't do as well as two DLCs marketed as an expansion pack.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's no proof at all for the "Paradox split the expansion" thing. IIRC, the closest thing we've got to that is a reference to unspecified "marketing experts". I don't remember from what interview that is, maybe Roguey can find it.

I really don't see the big deal though, given that they never had an intention of making a big narrative-centric "sequel-pansion" anyway (which is the only kind of thing that could potentially suffer from being split in two).

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Well, those unspecified "marketing experts" should be fired. I hope they and their superiors are reading this.

youre-fired.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris Avellone said that expansions were a great lower-risk opportunity to experiment, but given the timetables, all they can give us is Honest Hearts.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I think it will depend on what we're looking at for our overall scope. Crowdfunding was a huge success for Pillars of Eternity and I know a lot of people have expressed an eagerness to support crowdfunding for a future sequel, but I believe we have to be careful about how we approach it. There's always a danger of asking too much of people or giving a bad impression by how a crowdfunding campaign is structured.
Looks like he is afraid to see "the loss of interest" even if it is funded.

Bobby Null and I have also talked to Feargus about the possibility of making a separate game in the Pillars of Eternity setting focused on turn-based combat. Pillars of Eternity's area sizes and input systems don't translate well to non-PC formats, but I think a turn-based game could be very cool.
He smelled Blood(stones) and gunpowder(wasteland2) with the EEs. I don´t get part with "don't translate well to non-PC formats".

They're mostly history books
Yeah I like history but it felt too much of our real life history = borring

In the early game, it was very difficult to communicate all of the ideas that form the hook for your character's motivation.
*Facepalm*
"A recent study conducted by the Project Management Institute (PMI) revealed that ineffective communication has a negative impact on successful project execution. Surprising?"
source: http://www.coreworx.com/pmi-study-r...ads-to-project-failure-one-third-of-the-time/

Mychkine

Educated
In the early game, it was very difficult to communicate all of the ideas that form the hook for your character's motivation. I think trying to communicate more cleanly or focusing more on the difficult concepts (in particular, the negative aspects of being a Watcher) would have drawn people in more easily.

Reading the awful kickstarter bakers fanfictions was a good way to convey the negatives of being a Watcher.

For information, I didn't knew that all this shit was strictly optional at first, and I forced myself into reading quite a lot of it, fearing I would miss content otherwise. Poor me.

If they had forced their reading on the player (with a costly way to prevent it / corruption, weakening), maybe they could have build a good, if awkward, mechanic on this whole backer content mess.

Fairfax

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart disagrees.

Also perspective here, PoE has an 89% positive ranking on Steam and 1576 positive vs 164 mediocre vs 208 negative user ratings on metacritic. That's not a flop, it's not even polarizing as a whole.

Former with a patch, latter with an expansion pack (though going through the xpack content turns the endgame even more into a joke, though they say they'll be fixing this with the next one).
Sure, it was well received and successful. I liked the game myself. People who stayed to see the end (or most of it, a lot of people write these reviews without completing games) liked it, the problem is that not many did. You just have to look at how the first DLC bombed to see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom