Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jonesing for a first person RPG or Im-Sim

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(apart from Brigand Oaxaca which I utterly despise)
Why tho? It's a fun game if you manage to get into it.
The only thing I dislike is the save system that requires you to seek out a bed.
There was an update. Now you can save everywhere (you won't get Steam achievements if you use this option, but who cares)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have nothing to suggest that hasn’t already been suggested, but I kinda itch for a sort of detective RPG that combines B.A.T. 2 (exteriors + high level dialog) and Dreamweb (interiors) with a rich list of skills and gameplay opportunities across the board.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody mentioned Strife yet.

Everyone should play Strife at least once.

It's a fascinating early take on the Deus Ex hybrid style gameplay. It's a shame it was so heavily overshadowed by Quake, but that's what happens I guess when you release a doom engine game so close to the release of the "next big thing".

Tihskael

Learned
Can you wait for 2023?

WXSoTVDFpRzJSFCfgrZCPk-1200-80.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is enderal actually good? It requires owning skyrim, and skyrim refuses to go on sale low enough that I'm willing to buy it for a mod since todd keeps rereleasing it every year.

V17

Educated
Is enderal actually good? It requires owning skyrim, and skyrim refuses to go on sale low enough that I'm willing to buy it for a mod since todd keeps rereleasing it every year.
Yes, but you have to accept that the underlying engine is still Skyrim. You get reworked magic that is diverse and fun (and you're encouraged to use it), but don't expect interesting melee fights. But the story is good, there are a few faction questlines, sidequests, the game looks great, there's no level scaling and it also has a great soundtrack. It's much better than anything Bethesda released since Morrowind.

I personally purchased an ultracheap Skyrim key from some reseller for it, but you can also find a pirated release with Skyrim included, although maybe not the latest version.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
skyrim refuses to go on sale low enough
I got it at 60% off two years ago.
I really don't want to pay any more than 5 dollars for skyrim, when im literally just getting it for the engine.

You get reworked magic that is diverse and fun (and you're encouraged to use it), but don't expect interesting melee fights.
I prefer playing magic anyway.

Skdursh

Savant
Everyone here giving you common drops, so I'll give you some elite rares.

Consortium (Imsim that takes place onboard a large flying fortress. Has an impressive variety of alternate routes and potential endings. Has a large variety of options for non-violent resolution. Also has a sequel called "The Tower" that was released into EA, but seems to be stuck in development hell and hasn't had an update in a few years.)
Dread Delusion (FPRPG. Early Access. Morrowind, but weirder.)
Shadows of Doubt (Detective Imsim, with lots of fancy procedural dev AI tricks to expand the game. Coming sooner or later, being made mostly by one super-genius, but worth keeping an eye on.)
Peripeteia (Imsim. Extensive demo available.)
Embers of the Gods (Little known FPRPG solo dev project with some releases going back to 2018. Free.)
Vampire - Le Fruit Défendu (Indie FPRPG game inspired by VtM. Also been in development for a long time, but also free.)
Enderal (Skyrim total conversion. Much more impressive than Skyrim itself, especially once you get past the intro sequence. Same devs have also made total conversions that take place in the same universe for Oblivion and Morrowind, though they are a bit less impressive.)
Filchier (Thief-like Imsim)
Brigand: Oaxaca (Already been mentioned, but yes.)
Chronicles of Cyberpunk (Free short Imsim. Jank aesthetic. On Steam.)
Cruelty Squad (VERY INTERNET Imsim shooter. Not so rare now that some of the big name Youtubers have done videos on how wEiRd it is, but still worth checking out.)
The Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena (Old, very underappreciated, Imsim-ish shooter. Much better than you might expect.)
STALKER Anomaly (Standalone STALKER recreation made on update 64bit XRAY engine. Made by fans. Very, very well done and completely free.)
Outer Wilds (Not rare and also not really an RPG, but definitely counts as an Imsim in my book and it's just way too good to leave off the list.)
Adrorium (Spaceship sim. Bit janky, lots of developer art, but very detailed and has a lot of depth. Free.)
Boiling Point Road to Hell (Hard to find. Janky. Bit like if Farcry 2 were made by Russians and added RPG elements.)
Xenus 2 (Sequel to the above.)
Neon Struct (Cyberpunk Imsim with a low-poly aesthetic.)

There are a bunch more I could list, but this should be more than enough for you to find one that interests you.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena
It's fantastic; its credits list at the end runs for eleven minutes.
But it's entirely a shooter, with no RPG style gameplay or player choices whatsoever AFAIK——aside from possibly sneaking past an enemy.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Skdursh

Savant
Boiling Point Road to Hell (Hard to find. Janky. Bit like if Farcry 2 were made by Russians and added RPG elements.)
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/boiling-point-road-to-hell-f5a
https://archive.org/details/boiling-point-road-to-hell-europe

Don't know which version is superior. perhaps they're both the same.

The game is not on Steam (unlike its two successors, Xenus 2: White Gold and Precursors).
My big issue with the retail version/uncracked versions is that Boiling Point came with the dreaded Starforce DRM. Not sure if the ones you linked have that patched out or not, but I can point people to safe scene releases via dm if necessary.

Skdursh

Savant
The Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena
It's fantastic; its credits list at the end runs for eleven minutes.
But it's entirely a shooter, with no RPG style gameplay or player choices whatsoever AFAIK——aside from possibly sneaking past an enemy.
It does have some very loose RPG elements, basic stat leveling, several areas where you roam around and talk to people and do "quests" for them, but I mainly bring it up because it has an Imsim vibe to it and it's a good game.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It does have some very loose RPG elements, basic stat leveling, several areas where you roam around and talk to people and do "quests" for them, but I mainly bring it up because it has an Imsim vibe to it and it's a good game.
So do NOLF 1 & 2; great games sure, but are they RPGs, or RPG~ish?

Wouldn't you say that an RPG evaluates the PC for narrative change? Do these do that?

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
So do NOLF 1 & 2; great games sure, but are they RPGs, or RPG~ish?

Wouldn't you say that an RPG evaluates the PC for narrative change? Do these do that?
If you would refer back to the thread title I am confident you would see that OP isn't calling solely for RPGs. Also, I listed 18 games. It isn't necessary or productive to narrowly focus on one. I also specifically noted that Chronicles of Riddick is an Insim-ish shooter.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That new Terminator Resistance game is getting a lot of love from New Vegasfags so you might check it out.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Shadows of Doubt (Detective Imsim, with lots of fancy procedural dev AI tricks to expand the game. Coming sooner or later, being made mostly by one super-genius, but worth keeping an eye on.)
Peripeteia (Imsim. Extensive demo available.)
Embers of the Gods (Little known FPRPG solo dev project with some releases going back to 2018. Free.)
Vampire - Le Fruit Défendu (Indie FPRPG game inspired by VtM. Also been in development for a long time, but also free.)
Me: why are they so little known...?

Vampire LFD dev:
9o5srk.png

Typical.
:negative:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great thread, learned of more than five games I've never heard before.

Also maybe I have to try Dishonored 2. I certainly didn't like 1 (the powers make the whole game pointless and while I did play it for a while without ever blinking or using any upgrades, that also felt unintended.)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Enderal is nothing short of amazing in handing down its stories, exploration, portraing the world and stuff. It's also pretty awsome in the RPG regard (meaning you can really play various roles). It's very so-so in the combat regard - as was Skyrim. The latter can be alleviated byt mods. Choose TK Dodge to become a koolkid as the very first one. This marginal mod alone makes the combat 154812x better. Approximately 154812 mynd you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom