Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jonesing for a first person RPG or Im-Sim

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi, just throwing a general thread out there in July 2022. I want to play a good or at least decent first-person, single-character game where I can create a character, or at the very least have meaningfully branching skill trees to approach problems in my own way. Deep character building mechanics a plus but I will take what I can get. Big bonus points for good noncombat gameplay of any kind, or objectives that can be completed through mechanics that aren't just "kill stuff". My hope is that since there are so many games out there right now, there are some gems I haven't heard of.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are you looking for something modern?

I think SSI’s catalogue has a lot of first person RPGs, don’t know how many are exclusively 1 pc instead of a party. Menzoberranzan is an example.

Depending on what you’re feeling, interplay’s old Stonekeep or Descent to Undermountain may scratch the itch.

I think the Ishar series is also well regarded.

I haven’t played any of the above tho, I’m just aware of them.

If you haven’t played Deus Ex 1, or haven’t in a long time, that should be your #1. And while more on the action RPG side, I think Alpha Protocol is great.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
System Shock 2
Morrowind
Fallout: New Vegas

Is the trifecta.
Yeah, Zombra seems to be asking for FP RPGs. Anyway, if he decreases the requirements for the presence and influence of RPG elements, the list can be extended to the following:

- Deus Ex series
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- Dishonored series
- Prey (2017)

Hi, just throwing a general thread out there in July 2022. I want to play a good or at least decent first-person, single-character game where I can create a character, or at the very least have meaningfully branching skill trees to approach problems in my own way. Deep character building mechanics a plus but I will take what I can get. Big bonus points for good noncombat gameplay of any kind, or objectives that can be completed through mechanics that aren't just "kill stuff". My hope is that since there are so many games out there right now, there are some gems I haven't heard of.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The closest to what you are describing that actually exists is Pathologic (2005) and Pathologic 2 (2019). I recently started playing it expecting something trying to be pretentious art with walls of text and loose rpg elements but the story great and you are actively discouraged from killing, with a difference on doing so, and defending yourself. You get 12 days in game to do whatever you want, and make any decisions you like, but there will be many times where you have to put yourself first.

With what you're asking for, beggars can't be choosers and by now, everyone certainly has play Fallout: New Vegas. Pathologic hasn't done well in sales and seriously should, especially with 2 turned out. Don't be shy, give it a whirl. With a game like that, I wouldn't be surprised if the company behind uses that foundation to create an RPG one day, so in way it's like you're helping seeds flourish.

Funposter

Arcane
Kingdom Come: Deliverance if you can deal with the lack of character creation/customisation. It's pretty slim pickings for first person RPGs.

thesecret1

Arcane
I got the perfect game for you.
51b.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Zombra if you haven't played Arx Fatalis it should be first on your list, it's one of the "greats" of the subgenre. It doesn't fit all your requirements, but it's the direct descendant of Ultima Underworld 1 & 2.
Install Arx Libertatis on top of it to fix bugs/modern OS issues, it's a continuation of the source code for the game that was released publicly.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
This is currently on sale on gog. I haven't played it, nor even purchased it, and though it absolutely reeks of buggy eurojank I figured I'd throw it out there.

This is currently on sale on gog. I haven't played it, nor even purchased it, and though it absolutely reeks of buggy eurojank I figured I'd throw it out there.

A personal all timer but does not have what Zombra is looking for re non-combat options. I'd also be extremely suprised if he hasn't played or heard of it already. Divine Cybermancy is nowhere near as obscure as it used to be.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't want to get caught up in conversations in the thread (great suggestions all, thanks and keep them coming if there are more) ......
but I have to let Sunsetspawn know I have indeed played E.Ψ.Ǝ and it is a "must see" in my opinion, not because it's the perfect game (although it is) but because it is absolutely unique.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Counterpoint: E.Y.E. is god awful and borderline incomprehensible unless they altered it significantly since I played it last (2013). I've always been impressed that some people claim to enjoy it. My best guess is that it's akin to how getting kicked in the balls is apparently a type of fetish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom