Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Jay Wilson Apologizes for "Fuck That Loser" Comment

DraQ

Arcane
Ability: Flame Neophyte

If a poster says something stupid, anyone with an earlier join date can call him a newfag or otherwise reference his join date as an attack of opportunity.

Failed attempt to use this ability (in response to a non-stupid post or to a poster with earlier join date) results in attacker hitting themselves instead and applies cumulative penalty to post stupidity check during all following uses Flame Neophyte by the attacker.

The penalty is reduced by one point with each one hundred brofists received by the attacker (not retroactive).

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I'm talking loyalty. More than likely I would have spent $500+ on future Blizzard games but won't now because they are a bad company that doesn't deliver on their products. I'm not a minority, and I feel like multiplying this number by 2 million players is fairly accurate. Keep in mind, I'm no hater, I simply have no reason to ever spend money on their products again. This failure went so far beyond bad game design and into fraud that I no longer feel I can trust them. I don't know about this titan business, but I have to suspect somebody is out to swindle me now. No thanks.

how the hell do you spend 500 bucks on a game? are you one of those people who buy t-shirts and mugs? or how is that poss...
oh, microtransaction and stuff... so you'd buy equipment with real money?
you are part of the problem, son, they are not out to swindle you, you are just really gullible

aris

Arcane
I'm talking loyalty. More than likely I would have spent $500+ on future Blizzard games but won't now because they are a bad company that doesn't deliver on their products. I'm not a minority, and I feel like multiplying this number by 2 million players is fairly accurate. Keep in mind, I'm no hater, I simply have no reason to ever spend money on their products again. This failure went so far beyond bad game design and into fraud that I no longer feel I can trust them. I don't know about this titan business, but I have to suspect somebody is out to swindle me now. No thanks.

how the hell do you spend 500 bucks on a game? are you one of those people who buy t-shirts and mugs? or how is that poss...
you are part of the problem, son, they are not out to swindle you, you are just really gullible
To be fair, he said games, not game. Though his estimate of how much blizzard will lose from him actively not chosing to not buying more of their products and the number of people who might have decided to do the same, is probably wildly off. He's also not accounting for influx of new players. If anything, blizzard will probably only sell more and more games.

Jaesun: Unfortunately I don't have monopoly on shitposting though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jay Wilson: This Diablo III prototype is shit, I can do much better, lets throw years of work away because I'm a fucking genius. Boss, we can use a slightly changed WoW art style, we could add an action house, lots of moneys...

"Fuck that Loser" Boss: Lots of moneys ... yeah, you are a genius Wilson, do that!

Jay Wilson: Fuck! Do a good game is hard! My brain hurts! I can't understand this things, skill trees , build variation, low key story, atmosphere, only losers like those, people need more epics moments, angel on angel collar grabbing action, humans are special even angels agree. Imagine if Diablo was a woman and he was super Diablo, this time, you not only save earth but the heavens too, dude, it will be super epic and awesome, this time you push the button and something even more awesome has to happen.

Jay Wilson: (After many years) Fuck! Nothing works! Boss will be mad at me. It's better don't tell. Boss, everything is alright, you can release the game! It will be lots of moneys...

"Fuck that Loser" Boss: Lots of moneys... release the game!

"Fuck that Loser" Boss: (After 10 million sales, lots of moneys, but fan backlash) WILSON!!! WHAT HAD YOU DONE!!!

Jay Wilson: Boss, I told you, lots of moneys, 10 millions suckers bought the game, aren't you happy?

"Fuck that Loser" Boss: I WANTED TO MAKE DIABLO 4, AND ALOT OF EXPANSIONS TO DIABLO 3 YOU FUCKER, NOW, ONLY 8 MILLION SUCKERS ARE GOING TO BUY THEM, FUCK YOU LOSER!

Jay Wilson: You know, my new job position at Blizzard has many opportunities, sometimes I have to clean the boss shoes, the offices are all shiny, being a janitor isn't so bad.

Zeriel

Arcane
The sad part is that the core Diablo 3 engine/gameplay is actually quite good. It's just ruined by a bad character development system (no investment, no permanent choices) and terrible itemization. In other words, if Jay was behind the action-y part of the game, his influence might not have been all bad after all. Plus one guy out of a team of dozens if not hundreds getting all the blame is kind of amusing. Guess it comes with the territory though--no doubt if the game had been a huge critical success he would be getting all the credit.

Zeriel

Arcane
Kripparrian is the biggest troll I've ever seen in the Blizzard fan-base. I will forever remember to my dying day his stream with 500 fanboys watching him for top-level gameplay... and the guy is sitting there sipping soup loudly on camera for 30 minutes, doing nothing.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

To be fair, he said games, not game. Though his estimate of how much blizzard will lose from him actively not chosing to not buying more of their products and the number of people who might have decided to do the same, is probably wildly off. He's also not accounting for influx of new players. If anything, blizzard will probably only sell more and more games.

Jaesun: Unfortunately I don't have monopoly on shitposting though.

how do you spend 500 bucks on gameS anyway?
heh it's probably just me, i'm an old jaded and bitter cunt who only buys stuff made before 2003

Zeriel

Arcane
Let's say you just went ahead and bought every game and expansion Blizzard has come out with since World of Warcraft, at full retail price.

World of Warcraft - 60$
Burning Crusade XP - 40$
Wrath of the Lich King XP - 40$
Cataclysm XP - 40$
Mists of Pandaria XP - 40$

Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty - 60$
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - 40$

Diablo 3 - 60$

About 400$ over the last decade or so, probably comes up to well over 500$ if you went back a full decade and counted stuff like D2 and its expansion. Doesn't seem that much of a stretch. Dude did say he liked all of Blizzard's games before D3, so it does add up. Customer loyalty, that shit matters! Don't tell Blizzard, though. They might start panicking.

Gord

Arcane
Put a subscription to WoW and/or future MMOs on top and you will reach it easily...

Hm, this Kripparrian dude looks exactly like this one permanently drunken guy I always saw stumbling around on parties here in town.

aris

Arcane
Let's say you just went ahead and bought every game and expansion Blizzard has come out with since World of Warcraft, at full retail price.

World of Warcraft - 60$
Burning Crusade XP - 40$
Cataclysm XP - 40$

Diablo 3 - 60$

About 400$ over the last decade or so, probably comes up to well over 500$ if you went back a full decade and counted stuff like D2 and its expansion. Doesn't seem that much of a stretch. Dude did say he liked all of Blizzard's games before D3, so it does add up. Customer loyalty, that shit matters! Don't tell Blizzard, though. They might start panicking.
I'm talking about games that he would otherwise buy if it weren't for the fact that he decided not to buy any more blizzard games. That's the only types of games that makes sense to consider when you consider what blizzard would lose from having boycotters. If I, for some arbitrary reason decided after diablo 2, that I would never buy a blizzard game again: They would lose money on WC3, sc2 and D3, but not on WoW, which I have never bought or subscribed to, nor the original game or the expansion packs, as I did not buy them because they did not interest me, not because I was boycotting blizzard. They wouldn't have my money on those games either way.

Now adding the games I bought over the last decade from blizzard which includes WC3+expansion, SC2 and D3 you're up to 220$, which isn't close to 500$.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

World of Warcraft - 60$
Burning Crusade XP - 40$
Cataclysm XP - 40$

Diablo 3 - 60$

i stand corrected
good thing i don't care much for newer games anymore then, i guess...

DraQ

Arcane
TBH there probably are some developer positions where Jay "Fuck This Loser" Wilson would actually perform adequately and do proverbial "good job", it's just that those positions definitely aren't "Lead Designer" nor "Game Concept".

J"FTL"W should stay the fuck away from those positions (preferably ban enforced by autoturrets) and speak respectfully of those fit to man them. :obviously:

Blizzard Scraps Planned Diablo 3 PvP Mode <- because I don't like to repeat myself, here are the details.

aris

Arcane
Though wildly unrealistic, I would pay good money for seeing the reaction on the codex if he went to work at inexile
:avatard:

Monocause

Arcane
Though wildly unrealistic, I would pay good money for seeing the reaction on the codex if he went to work at inexile
:avatard:

So he left one of the biggest developer companies producing some of the most successful video games in history and all he managed to achieve is a position in a kickstarter-funded company? Fuck that loser.

Zeriel

Arcane
He didn't actually get fired. Just moved to another part of the company. Though in some industries, that is a face-saving prelude to quietly letting someone go a month (or year) later.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The sad part is that the core Diablo 3 engine/gameplay is actually quite good. It's just ruined by a bad character development system (no investment, no permanent choices) and terrible itemization. In other words, if Jay was behind the action-y part of the game, his influence might not have been all bad after all. Plus one guy out of a team of dozens if not hundreds getting all the blame is kind of amusing. Guess it comes with the territory though--no doubt if the game had been a huge critical success he would be getting all the credit.
I believe the problem maybe is that Blizzard has a circle-jerk culture ( the way the developers reacted to criticism is proof), there isn't anybody to say: Dude, WTF is this shit? Jay Wilson is having all the blame because he, theoretically, should be the guy responsible for quality control, but it's hard to concentrate in doing your job when everybody is saying how awesome you are and criticize other people work is taboo. It was clear that they didn't had any idea in how to make a single- player ARPG, after years making Wow , you don't develop new ideas, they were trying to make a single-player WoW, all design changes were desperate attempts to plug the holes left by the decision to throw away the old gameplay mechanics.I don't have problems with them trying to innovate, but all their design philosophy was: how we can make this game more simple.

I remember playing Diablo I and every time new loot droped , it was nice, but what really motivated me was to discover what horrors waited for me, on Diablo II they lost a little of the atmosphere (improved gameplay mechanics compensated for that) but on Diablo III, the feeling of a single-player Wow was total, the atmosphere was completely lost and the gameplay mechanics simplified.

Zeriel

Arcane
I believe the problem maybe is that Blizzard has a circle-jerk culture ( the way the developers reacted to criticism is proof), there isn't anybody to say: Dude, WTF is this shit? Jay Wilson is having all the blame because he, theoretically, should be the guy responsible for quality control, but it's hard to concentrate in doing your job when everybody is saying how awesome you are and criticize other people work is taboo. It was clear that they didn't had any idea in how to make a single- player ARPG, after years making Wow , you don't develop new ideas, they were trying to make a single-player WoW, all design changes were desperate attempts to plug the holes left by the decision to throw away the old gameplay mechanics.I don't have problems with them trying to innovate, but all their design philosophy was: how we can make this game more simple.

I remember playing Diablo I and every time new loot droped , it was nice, but what really motivated me was to discover what horrors waited for me, on Diablo II they lost a little of the atmosphere (improved gameplay mechanics compensated for that) but on Diablo III, the feeling of a single-player Wow was total, the atmosphere was completely lost and the gameplay mechanics simplified.

Well, iteration and saying "this isn't good enough, we need to keep trying new things" is a part of the Blizzard culture for sure, but then again... "we need to do better" is not the same as "okay, this is total shit, let's be critical of ourselves". The overwhelming feeling I get from D3 is not total incompetency, but one of a brand-new team trying a little too hard to distinguish themselves from the old Blizzard North. Some parts of the game that are departures work really well. The combat system and the way skills play out and feel is in some ways a dramatic improvement on D2. Many of the biggest problems are relatively minor systems choices that could have gone the other way quite easily. For example, a skill tree system versus the transient loadouts they went with is really just a matter of restricting choice and making it permanent. The skills themselves don't change. They even had exclusive skill-trees implemented in alpha versions, then got rid of them.

Same deal with a lot of the itemization choices that kill the game's longevity and interest for fans. Movement speed caps, attack speed caps? Getting your stats so high in one area that you literally start causing animation glitches in D2 was just considered part of the fun, but it's prevented here, by a design choice that could be arbitrarily switched off in a single patch if they wanted to. To me, it's a case of massive wasted potential.

Zeriel

Arcane
One final note: to get back to the iterative philosophy, while it's been very successful for Blizzard, I do believe that it can bite you in the ass. If you start with a great foundation that shouldn't be changed very much, and you then have this concept that you need X amount of iteration to make a good, polished game, you may very well end up removing stuff that didn't need to be removed, innovating new things that never needed to be innovated in the first place, polishing away at your gem until all that's left is a shadow of what you started with.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All Blizzard games have merged into the same concept with Starcraft being the outlier since people still enjoy RTS. For years WoW has been gravitating towards being Diablo-like in that it's essentially a solo experience except when you want to queue for a dungeon/raid (yes, there's a raid finder now) the Diablo equivalent of boss runs. There is no sense of server community anymore, most guilds are just tools to get the perks that come with them with maybe a couple dozen still interested in 'firsts' because they can hoodwink corporations to sponsor them who in turn hoodwink fans to watch/buy their overpriced crap. It's rife with daily quests, reputation grinds, honor grinds, farming an actual farm, farming dungeon gear, etc. All that in mind it stood to reason Diablo 3 would be more WoW-like than previous iterations. The only real difference between the two games now is the viewing perspective and one is subscription based. Fundamentally they are both Facebook-like loot and achievement grinders.

J1M

Arcane

World of Warcraft - 60$
Burning Crusade XP - 40$
Cataclysm XP - 40$

Diablo 3 - 60$

i stand corrected
good thing i don't care much for newer games anymore then, i guess...
That doesn't include the $15/month wow subscriptions either. Which would run you about $1000 if you've subscribed since it came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom