Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blizzard Scraps Planned Diablo 3 PvP Mode

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Seems like Blizzard have realized they cannot into multiplayer gameplay design anymore. Maybe they'll take this realization one step further and solely focus on releasing WoW expansions until the end of time.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Fuck this loser. What an incompetent piece of sewer-slime. How do kiss-ass morons like this get put in charge of game development? If he was at any other developer, one which didn't have seemingly limitless money to throw at projects, he'd get his ass thrown out on the street in a week.

He was probably picked because he was the one least vocal about the changes the corporate heads were suggesting to make, or was himself the one who suggested those changes to please the higherups. I'm sure like everywhere else in the corporate world, moving up the ladder isn't all about skills.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Fuck this loser. What an incompetent piece of sewer-slime. How do kiss-ass morons like this get put in charge of game development? If he was at any other developer, one which didn't have seemingly limitless money to throw at projects, he'd get his ass thrown out on the street in a week.

because he did design work on homeworld 2, CoH, Dawn of War...ohh yeah and his latest game sold 10 million copies. Giving him the sack is a laughable notion dreamt up by butthurt autistic retards.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
his latest game sold 10 million copies. Giving him the sack is a laughable notion dreamt up by butthurt autistic retards.

If Blizzard put a drunk hobo in charge of Diablo3, it would still sell 10 million copies, entirely due to inertia of quality and goodwill Blizzard has established over its existence.

Jay Wilson just happened to be that hobo.

Diablo3 sold on merits of Blizzard reputation, quality of Diablo2, and rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. Then it died.

It was extremely frustrating to know how this was going to end since 2008. The art direction alone was a dead giveaway of the lack of sober judgement in the project.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'll probably just give everyone who bought D3 a $5 coupon to the Blizz microtransaction store they will no doubt have in Blizzard All-Stars.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
They'll probably just give everyone who bought D3 a $5 coupon to the Blizz microtransaction store they will no doubt have in Blizzard All-Stars.

Oh... I thought that was Photoshop... I didn't think that Blizzard All-Stars was actually real. Oh.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's in production. You didn't really think they would let Valve walk away with all the DOTA pie, did you?

Krash

Arcane
Considering how inept blizzard is at balancing, I doubt they'll be beating dota/hon/lol anytime soon. Especially with the retarded design decisions they've been making lately (not confined to D3).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But but...Leonard Boyarsky :(
Yeah, boy. What happened there?

I dunno. Best one can say is he's not responsible for this shit, just for lore, writing, stuff like that...

The Fallout Founding Fathers:
Leonard Boyarsky: with Blizzard, lead world designer on Diablo 3, his only post-Troika credit
Jason D Anderson: Was with Interplay for a while post-Troika, then inXile, now with Turtle Rock, only post-Troika credit is Hunted: The Demon's Forge. At least he got to work on Wasteland 2.
Tim Cain: With Carbine as programming/design director for years working on the MMO Wildstar, now with Obsidian, thank Frith
R. Scott Campbell: creative director at WhiteMoon Studios working on F2P MMO Planet Legend "that combines Arcade-Style Side-Scrolling Beat-Em-Up Action with strong RPG elements". Yeah.
Jason Taylor: development director at Electronic Arts working on titles like Poppit!, Mahojng Safari, Word Whomp
Christopher Taylor: at Interplay. nuff said.

Not the best record, post-Troika.

DraQ

Arcane
because he did design work on homeworld 2, CoH, Dawn of War...ohh yeah and his latest game sold 10 million copies. Giving him the sack is a laughable notion dreamt up by butthurt autistic retards.
He did support design work on HW2, presumably minor stuff because MobyGames doesn't even list him in credits, and HW2 wasn't exactly free of problems.

He also did some mapping or at least map design in Blood, which was awesome, but Blood 2 where he was given free reign over both game concept and design was a boring turd.
Looking at his track record I would have never put him in lead design position, although I might put him on map design or somewhere else where his design- and concept-wise retardation could do no harm, due to actual design and assets he would have to work with having already been solidified by someone competent and where he could put his already demonstrated talents to good use (if he was one of the main designers responsible for Blood environments, then he evidently can kick some serious ass in this area).

Besides, sacking Jay Wilson III would likely be a good popularity and reputation stunt for Blizzard and I really don't see Kotick et. al. having the kind of human qualities that would prevent them from doing that if they smelled the money.

If Blizzard put a drunk hobo in charge of Diablo3, it would still sell 10 million copies
This.

People have this laughable notion that sales strongly correlate with quality. They don't, especially early sales. They correlate with expected quality and therefore are function of reputation of franchise or its makers and hype. That's it. Most of 10M people who bought D3 had no clue about D3 quality, because they haven't been able to experience D3 quality.
Even if Blizzard kidnapped everyone who bought D3 immediately after purchase and stole their kidneys the game would still sell 10M. I guess having your kidneys stolen must be quality experience if 10M of people would be willing to pay for it.

That's your brain on capitalism, I suppose.

The only sales representative of game's quality are late sales. If your sales peak at release and then drop off sharply, then you have two explanations:
-You saturated the market (which is unlikely even for blizzard because it would require 100% hype penetration - in other words having some literal mind control system as part of your hype machine), your game's quality can't be inferred from that scenario

-Your game is shit. Players will be much less likely to buy your next game.

Edit:
Jay Wilson'd from a different angle:
http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/User:Tchernobog/archive/shade

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tenchu, Rainbow 6, Thief, Fallout 2. He wasn't bad guy from the beginning. I didn't know about the Blood stuff, man learns something every day. And yes, the second part, with horrible lagging first demo was a bad sign. Only memorable things were Stephan Weyte voice (as usual), music and unreal hidden location.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I very much doubt he'll be fired, but would not be surprised to see him demoted.

aris

Arcane
This thread needs more gaudaost for hilarious Blizzard-apologism.
Funny thing is, if this were written by Brian Fargo, with appropriate changes to the text to be about and relevant to Wasteland 2, but otherwise the same wording, then the entire codex would praise Fargo to the heavens for his dedication to not release an unfinished product. And everybody here knows that to be the truth.

I don't particularly care about this, as I don't care about diablo 3 for pvp, which was always an unbalanced clusterfuck from the first iteration to the second. But it is nice, that they are taking their time to make (hopefully) the best out of this free addition to the game.

And before someone goes and makes a fool out of him/herself: PVP never was, never will be, a core feature of diablo. So no, by not including PVP at launch, they did not "take out" a core feature. I'm sure there's somebody here, for which that was the whole game, just as there are someone for which morrowind was all about picking mushrooms, or decorating houses, but neither are core features. Learn the difference. I'm tired of that stupid argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom