Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

spectre

Arcane
Brigade E6, aka 7.62 High Caliber. You gotta brace yourself for ruskie coding though.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried ironman but lost 2 of my 3 mercs in a botched up room entry in Cambria. Anyone managed to complete it with ironman?

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Completed it on hard ironman, pretty fun game.

Tactical portion is excellent, strategic layer is mediocre.
Most annoying thing is that armour cannot be repaired and I have to constantly sell damaged ones and buy new ones. Mercs don't have a daily salary but instead you will be spending them on armour.
Inventory clutter is bad as this game does not have a trash bin and all items sold to traders remain in their inventory until I completed the game.

new_weapons2.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/realistic-rebalancing-mod
Recommend this mod. Guns have a stance stat, which is why smgs and carbines are better than rifles and MGs in CQC.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Playing Jagged Alliance Crossfire now.
Completing Back In Action(BIA) on hard ironman did not prepare me for Crossfire and after failing a few times on hard at the start I decided to play on normal ironman.
Back in Action starts you facing against machete and pistol wielding clowns, Crossfire enemies in the beginning carry short-range automatics in entrenched position. You also start with less money, enough to get 2 mercs. On hard you have $ to pick 1 AIM merc and are left with enough money to recruit 1 MERC mercenary, weaklings like Flo and Bubba. But they do give you a vest, an automatic pistol and a grenade launcher at the start. On normal I choose Spider and Steroid, a medic and mechanic which turned out to be the a good choice.
BIA lets me pick up a rifle early which leads to me shooting shorter range enemies from afar. Crossfire has me sneaking around picking off evil peoples one by one, which is difficult as Spider and Steroid have poor stealth who can be heard crouch walking and crawling around behind the enemies backs. I find myself watching the patrol routines of enemies so I can pick them off away from the others, something I didn't bother to do in many games. At one point I had my mercs crawl across a bridge hidden from view behind the wall railings to get close to two enemies, pop up and opened up with submachinegun on two guards.
I should be able to play it on hard now. I play strategy/tactical games on ironman and this is better than the realtime squad games like Fallout Tactics, 7.62 and UFO series. The maps in Crossfire so far are decent, with bridges, a hydroelectric dam and a nice temple on a mountain. But it is a pretty short game, map is about half the size of Alruco. Maybe I'll do an LP on hard ironman one day.
The rebalancing mod is also out for Crossfire. You can also easily mod this yourself, some of files are in txt.

A pity JABIA was released before it was ready, without line-of-sight, map inventory and a host of other problems, as well as a demo that hurt more than it helped.
The final version is more complete, better than Silent Storm and definitely 7.62. If you life realtime games I suggest you try this out, I picked it up on sale. But then my expectations weren't that high due to the bashing in this thread.
Didn't try the demo, probably won't like it if I tried, I also didn't get into the game for awhile until I decided to play ironman and met level 3 opposition, who are proper soldiers and not hillbillies with machetes. The problem with ironman is that mercs cannot be instantly killed, they go unconscious and if you heal them in time they get back up. But then I lost half my squad in a couple of moments but with a smoke grenade covering them, managed to save everybody. I had to retreat from the map to heal and replace armour though.
Also, the sounds of RPK firing <3. Too bad it has only a 45 round magazine.
BIA and Crossfire is a lot less fun without ironman, but that goes for many games.

Last edited:

zeitgeist

Magister
How's the modding scene? Did the mods fix it? Is there a 1.13 equivalent? Did anyone at least fix the merc faces?

I found Realistic Rebalancing and Combat Evolved, is that it as far as megamods go?

bonescraper

Yes, that's it. Both improve the game quite signigicantly though.

It's definitely a flawed game, but it grew on me a lot (modded and after the patch that brought back fog of war). Too bad the 1 attachment per weapon restriction can't be changed. Sope + suppressor? Nope. What a shitty idea.
new_weapons2.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/realistic-rebalancing-mod
Recommend this mod. Guns have a stance stat, which is why smgs and carbines are better than rifles and MGs in CQC.
I'm about to try this mod out (been using Combat Evolved previously). Do these new guns come with their own custom models?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, Combat Evolved or Realistic Rebalancing is a must, playing vanilia means you hate yourself.
There is also some Zombie Mod with scarced ammo and melee weapons that you obtain in some way, not straight buy.
I was really impressed when enemies (in vanilia they run at you like mindless old school FPS canon fodder) started some basic tactical manuveurs.
Still - you could use cheap tricks to deceive enemies.

Did anyone finished that quest with volcano at the end of Crossfire? Three days to move around the map is nonsense.

Will propably start these DLCs, wonder if Combat Evolved affect them also?

Does quality of militia's equipment count towards their effectiveness when they're fighting by themselves on the world map? I really don't want to constantly backtrack around the map retaking points, but don't know if giving away stuff I could sell for good money would be a waste, either.

Playing with Realistic Rebalancing 1.8.3, btw.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Every time I think I should check this out I remember I can just play 762mm+Blue Sun Mod again instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom