Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 2 is overrated

TripJack

Hedonist
sup drog

whatevername

Arcane
Had half the cities before i stopped playing because of the tedious tactical battles. At the beginning it was fun, but then moving around becomes a chore because you're always getting attacked and meeting roaming enemies. There is also too much organizing of weapons, ammo, armor and other crap. And i only had one squad. Then you spend time healing injuries. Then another tactical battle which takes a long time because you're usually outnumbered. Then you're defending mines. Then i got blown by missiles because i ran to the capital to try and finish off that bitch so i can at least say that i've finished the game.

Yeah the characters are cute with all the talking and relationships, the game has a lot of charm and is very polished, but it became tedious. If you really really really love playing slow tactical turn based battles over and over again and micromanaging items and soldiers than i guess it's a good game.
Hello, dear possibly retarded poster.
There is a game called Jagged Alliance: Back In Action which was made specifically for people like you.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Had half the cities before i stopped playing because of the tedious tactical battles. At the beginning it was fun, but then moving around becomes a chore because you're always getting attacked and meeting roaming enemies. There is also too much organizing of weapons, ammo, armor and other crap. And i only had one squad. Then you spend time healing injuries. Then another tactical battle which takes a long time because you're usually outnumbered. Then you're defending mines. Then i got blown by missiles because i ran to the capital to try and finish off that bitch so i can at least say that i've finished the game.

Yeah the characters are cute with all the talking and relationships, the game has a lot of charm and is very polished, but it became tedious. If you really really really love playing slow tactical turn based battles over and over again and micromanaging items and soldiers than i guess it's a good game.
Hello, dear possibly retarded poster.
There is a game called Jagged Alliance: Back In Action which was made specifically for people like you.
Maybe i'll give it a go, hopefully it's better than JA2. I like the concept, but how it's executed in JA2 is not that great.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The most annoying imo is the fact that you started this topic in strategy gaming section instead rpg but this is a discussion we had on codex more than once already so don't let me chanhge the subject.

Maybe i'm not into turn based tactics as much as i thought. I wanted to like JA2.
You certainly aren't into tactical turn based crpg because they don't get much better than this one.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The most annoying imo is the fact that you started this topic in strategy gaming section instead rpg but this is a discussion we had on codex more than once already so don't let me chanhge the subject.

Maybe i'm not into turn based tactics as much as i thought. I wanted to like JA2.
You certainly aren't into tactical turn based crpg because they don't get much better than this one.
I posted this in the RPG section orginally, it got moved over here.

anus_pounder

Arcane
15217.jpg

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I like tactical battles, hence why i bought the game in the first place. It just doesn't grab at all despite the good production values and praise it gets.

Khor1255

Arcane

Sounds like an honest critique. If you are trolling you are good at it. If not, I suppose a masterpiece isn't necessarily for everyone.

A user named cat

On a related note: I was looking for something and discovered there was a DS port of the first game (which is still quite fun but inferior to the sequel). Had no idea this even existed, will have to try it. Then I stumbled onto some reviews and got really irritated. Holy shit, this is why I always avoid these places.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/08/jagged-alliance-ds-review

To be honest, it feels unfair to judge the Nintendo DS port of Jagged Alliance by today's standards. After all, the game was originally released on the PC way back in 1994, and the ravages of time have not been kind to this once-beloved title. 15 years ago, the game was heralded for its deep, turn-based strategy mechanics and unique role-playing elements. By today's standards, the whole strategy system is archaic and sloppy, the once-revolutionary role-playing mechanics seen countless times in other, better games. On the PC, Jagged Alliance was considered one of the best turn-based strategy games of its time.

Back in 1994, this translated to rich, compelling gameplay for the hardcore PC audience. Today, the whole system is archaic and nearly impenetrable for the average player, especially considering the game's abysmal in-game tutorials. You'll constantly be referring back to your manual (you know, those thin paper books you get for free inside each new game you buy), only to be even more frustrated when the manual makes no mention of the specific issue you're having. Playing Jagged Alliance for the first time is like putting together a puzzle in a room with absolutely no light, poking around randomly until each piece even remotely fits into place without ever really knowing if you're proceeding correctly or not. Even after over ten hours of play, there will still be mechanics that completely elude the average player, essentially making it impossible to effectively command these supposedly elite military squads. This may have been considered "hardcore" 15 years ago when Jagged Alliance was released, but by today's standards the game is just convoluted and entirely inaccessible.

A user named cat

I know, I usually don't care about game reviews whatsoever but this one bugged me. Just something about the horseshit he spewed and kept referring to "today's standards" as if it's something to strive for, and especially knocking JA for being "convoluted". Someone needs to find this Joshua Clark guy and tell him he's a fucking idiot.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
My favorite quote from that review: "15 years ago, the game was heralded for its deep, turn-based strategy mechanics and unique role-playing elements." Annnndddd, it still is genius!

spectre

Arcane
dat article said:
Playing Jagged Alliance for the first time is like putting together a puzzle in a room with absolutely no light, poking around randomly until each piece even remotely fits into place without ever really knowing if you're proceeding correctly or not.
I love articles like that. Makes me feel like a true ubermensch.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Playing Jagged Alliance for the first time is like putting together a puzzle in a room with absolutely no light
More like a Jag-saw puzzle, amirite? :smug:

I found it especially amusing that he used the term "ravages of time," as if there is bit-rot that causes games to lose quality over time.

I guess I have this thread to thank (along with felipepepe's Top 50 Codex RPG thread) for finally deciding to buy JA2 from GOG.com. So thanks, Codex :salute:

Severian Silk

I don't see what is so complicated about JA2's rules. Find cover, adjust your aim level, shoot. Is that so hard?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom