Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News It's Ask A Dev Week on the Wasteland 2 Forums

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasteland was a phase based game, compared to that it's very much

???

We knew it wasn't phase based right from the start.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
1238684-MK4DEJM.jpg

The hell is wrong with action points now?
I don't like it. It's clunky and a level of granulation I don't find necessary in RPGs. Besides I can already see them repeating the same mistakes as Fallout's AP system.

More of a rhetorical question, mind you, considering I'm asking someone who thinks cooldowns are better than Vancian.
You're being unfair here. I find anything better than vancian, but cooldowns are still a horrible gamey design that has no place in TRVE RPGs.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Know your inXilers! http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2979

DarkTwinkie - Chris Keenan, producer/design director
Joby - Joby Bednar, lead scripter
Dragonberg - Josh Jertberg, lead animator
d-Koy - Koy vanOteghem, senior environment artist
Rat Herder - Phillip Dickenson, artist
Snowdrifter - Dan Jenkins, engineer
brakiri - Jeremy Kopman, scripter

What? Where are the guys that worked on the original? I thought Stackpole and some of the other original guys came in to work on the game....no?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What? Where are the guys that worked on the original? I thought Stackpole and some of the other original guys came in to work on the game....no?

They are probably smart and isolate themselves from the general retarded public and don't post on the forums. And just continue doing what the love to do and keep working on the game. Just like MCA and other developers (writers).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Alan Pavlish and Brian Fargo are on the forums but not (yet) taking part in ask a dev. Many read (often specific threads) but don't comment. Don't think specifically them answering these questions would help. Questions are answered by the most relevant person. Keenan in particular as the design director can answer a lot of questions. Lot of higher-ups on that list, in fact, which is good.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Alan Pavlish and Brian Fargo are on the forums but not (yet) taking part in ask a dev. Many read (often specific threads) but don't comment. Don't think specifically them answering these questions would help. Questions are answered by the most relevant person. Keenan in particular as the design director can answer a lot of questions. Lot of higher-ups on that list, in fact, which is good.

Well that is good to hear, I was curious how much their involvement in the game was. What do you mean with Lot of higher-ups on that list? You mean Pavlish\Stockpole arent high on the chain making decisions? I dont know anything about the other guys honestly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well that is good to hear, I was curious how much their involvement in the game was. What do you mean with Lot of higher-ups on that list? You mean Pavlish\Stockpole arent high on the chain making decisions? I dont know anything about the other guys honestly.

What is it you want? Do you want Stockpole to post on every thread or post? Fuck no. Keep him the fuck AWAY from the retarded general public. BIS learned this YEARS ago (as did Obsidian).

Look at BioWare now.....

Saxon1974

Prophet

What is it you want? Do you want Stockpole to post on every thread or post? Fuck no. Keep him the fuck AWAY from the retarded general public. BIS learned this YEARS ago (as did Obsidian).

Look at BioWare now.....

Hey man I agree with you, that wasn't my point. I could care less if he posts on the forum, I have rarely been there anyway. I am just curious how much of the work on W2 will be from the original design team. I dont have much time anymore to game up keep up with news.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I am just curious how much of the work on W2 will be from the original design team.

In reading the (few) tweets from twitter, they are happier than they have ever been in making a game, and doing (and allowed to) do what they love to do and with no limitations. I am OK with this. I cannot wait to see what ideas they have in mind for this game.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I'm not too concerned with pretending to micro-manage their development and bother them with inane questions. I'll be happy with a significant update showing some art and possibly gameplay. Just...fucks sake Brother None, are they planning on giving us a fecking update soon??

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I'm not too concerned with pretending to micro-manage their development and bother them with inane questions. I'll be happy with a significant update showing some art and possibly gameplay. Just...fucks sake Brother None, are they planning on giving us a fecking update soon??

FFS, read the second post ITT. That's several updates worth of content right there. And there's more coming.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
A goddamn answer from a goddamn forum is not the same as a goddamn official update. FFS.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't like it. It's clunky and a level of granulation I don't find necessary in RPGs. Besides I can already see them repeating the same mistakes as Fallout's AP system.

You'll have a party in W2. Action point based combat with party is awesome. Of course they could fuck it up badly. But they could fuck up anything, really. Wouldn't be the fault of the system.

You're wrong, I didn't know it isn't phase based right from the start.

And? What's your point? Who's fault is that? You thought a top-down game would be phase based? And, if you don't mind, how is it "very much decline"?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'll be happy with a significant update showing some art and possibly gameplay. Just...fucks sake Brother None, are they planning on giving us a fecking update soon??

You mean the big update? That will show gameplay and stuff, yeah. But that's in January. Dunno exactly what they plan in between. I keep pushing and reminding but, y'know, yeah, inXile hasn't been great at this.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
They really haven't. I still have faith in this thing regardless of how they handle the kickstarter part of it, but to say they've dropped the ball on meaningful updates is an understatement.

I can't believe that after all these years, posting on the Codex has again become meaningful. And at crpg discussion we actually have new games to talk about and look forward to. :eek::incline:

Can't wait for that W2 gameplay update. Hope at least for more screenshots, maybe a video? :bounce: And hope that they show dialogues, systems etc. at least something, not only pretty pictures. But I don't know if it's too early for that. :?

flushfire

Augur
We wanted to add an interesting exploration system to the overhead map but didn't want to turn the game into a survival simulator. There is a point where it can be too much maintenance. This is where we drew our line for the game.
Psshh... pussies. I don't see anyone calling BaK a survival simulator or JA2 a squad management game and Wasteland is where such mechanics make more sense to be more complex...

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I would have liked a more advanced AI and that difficulty is regulated through AI behaviour instead of hardcoded variables and "cheating", but I'm not disappointed since I haven't expected it. I'm interested in knowing which games, if any, do implement that feature.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Doing a quick count, I would say Fallout 2 had 12-18 "major areas" depending on how you define it. Fallout 1 had 12 areas on the list of places. So it sounds like W2 will be about that big.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom