Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Grimlorn

Arcane
Playing Demon's Souls furiously and goddamn, the game requires a lot more repetition than Dark Souls. I'm in 3-2, turned the first tower off, freed Yurt, went to the swamps, back to the central tower again and got killed by the black phantom. Now I have to go ALL THIS WAY again from the start. Frankly, I prefered the bonfire spacing in Dark Souls instead of the "the whole level or nothing" approach. Could anyone tell me, is it really true that no shortcut opened?

An amusing thing happened. After finishing 3-1 I decided I'd help someone fight the boss and left me summoning sign at the beginning of the level. I saw the "you're being summoned" message, but then "you're summoned as a black phantom"
which was a real wtf moment. You people who played the game can guess what happened :D I killed the Old Monk but got killed a second after. I still have no idea what's going on :D
There shouldn't be an Old Monk for you to kill. When summoned as a Black Phantom, you are the boss for that level. You were the Old Monk boss fight for whoever killed you, and they completed their level.

I can't remember 3-2 specifically, but there are shortcuts in I think all or almost all levels, you just have to go through the whole level to unlock them usually. That way if you die to the boss it's only a few minute run back to him.

Grimlorn

Arcane
To be honest though the DBS is a pleb weapon in PvP. Anyone could be good with it since the radius of the weapon is so ridiculous.
Also comes in handy when there is lag and you're not being staggered or hit when you should be and can swing that giant thing down. There was a lot of lag in that video. The guy gets backstabbed and takes no damage, then gets backstabbed again afterwards and almost dies in one hit. Would have been dead had the first back stab hit. There were a few times he should have been hit but it didn't register and he was able to swing his DBS and hit the other guy. Couldn't stand PVP because of stuff like this.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Nice. Thank you very much @Grimlorn for the clarification. I was wondering which of the two ordinary-looking guys was the Old Monk and why his health deteriorated kinda in correlation with mine ;)

Grimlorn

Arcane
Nice. Thank you very much @Grimlorn for the clarification. I was wondering which of the two ordinary-looking guys was the Old Monk and why his health deteriorated kinda in correlation with mine ;)
I was reading up on it. You can use the White Eye stone to return to your world if you're summoned. That way your character tendency won't go down. No penalty.

Were one of the guys you fought Blue? I can't seem to find anything on attacking the Old Monk and dropping your HP as a black phantom. Was he the guy on the throne?

Last edited:

chubs

Novice
To be honest though the DBS is a pleb weapon in PvP. Anyone could be good with it since the radius of the weapon is so ridiculous.
Also comes in handy when there is lag and you're not being staggered or hit when you should be and can swing that giant thing down. There was a lot of lag in that video. The guy gets backstabbed and takes no damage, then gets backstabbed again afterwards and almost dies in one hit. Would have been dead had the first back stab hit. There were a few times he should have been hit but it didn't register and he was able to swing his DBS and hit the other guy. Couldn't stand PVP because of stuff like this.
yeah, I played this game a lot a couple years ago and 99% of my fights in that game were insanely laggy.

It was terrible. Back to back lag stabs and hits that never register all over the place. Dark souls has that problem too, but it was more prevalent in Demon's Souls, at least in my experience.

What made it worse for me was the often used Second Chance spell, which you see in that video. You cast that spell and lose all your hp, you'll come back with half your hp left and you can cast this spell again after you use up the spell the first time.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Yeah I remember circling to the left and right and watching fireballs fly past me, but they were registering as hits, and I had to keep my shield up, so I didn't die. I had cable internet too. I might try some PvP with DS2. I just moved recently and my cable is like 5 times faster than the old place. Hopefully helps.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DeS online co-op worked fine but the lag in PVP was legendary. Made worse by the fact that I had the asian version of DeS so I had to play in the azn servers. Those people don't have very good internet connections.

chubs

Novice
I just hope they do something about backstabs in DS2 pvp at the very least. So many backstab fishing bitches. Fuck em.

Xi

Arcane
Good gameplay. That's all that matters. Graphics are adequate. Only douche bags argue about graphics.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Were one of the guys you fought Blue? I can't seem to find anything on attacking the Old Monk and dropping your HP as a black phantom. Was he the guy on the throne?
Yeah, one of the guys was blue. I concentrated on those two and didn't even see there was somebody else in the room ;)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DeS I thought was superior to Dark Souls. I mean, that fucking prison dungeon with the Medusas...

Mind Flayers.

mind-flayer.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
I disliked the Mind Flayers because their mechanics often ran counter to Soul's basic rules (that you can dodge everything if you think about it and are careful). Their paralysis ball is too big to dodge in many narrow corridors you find them in without exploiting invincibility frames, and there is no way to break free before they suck you dry (which is an instant kill for non-bulky builds). The staircase to the mad monk is also annoying because 90+% of weapons don't work there, leading to the very tiring and cheesy process luring each one back to the start, waiting for it to lose agro and backstabing.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I disliked the Mind Flayers because their mechanics often ran counter to Soul's basic rules (that you can dodge everything if you think about it and are careful).

You can. It's called bum rushing him and killing him. It's implied that you have to sneak up on them.

Alchemist

Arcane
I disliked the Mind Flayers because their mechanics often ran counter to Soul's basic rules (that you can dodge everything if you think about it and are careful).

You can. It's called bum rushing him and killing him. It's implied that you have to sneak up on them.
Yeah, use stealth and take him out at range with magic or archery. The key is never to let him even shoot his paralysis ball in the first place. I like that they made mind-flayers extremely dangerous, as they should be.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't have any trouble with the mind flayers. I got my brain sucked out once in the various times I've played Demon's Souls and I never played ranged or magic builds. Sneak up on them and backstab and if they see you, rush them and beat the crap out of them. As I recall (it's been awhile) they tend to patrol areas where you can either sneak up on them or with enough room to dodge. But they rarely were able to fire off their doom glob in the first place. Maybe you're being too hesitant or running away instead of forward?

deuxhero

Arcane

A lot of them you can't sneak up on (short of abusing the stealth items) because they start facing the one way into their room (unless you're going through the level backwards). The final staircase is one of the worst examples.

Yeah, use stealth and take him out at range with magic or archery. The key is never to let him even shoot his paralysis ball in the first place. I like that they made mind-flayers extremely dangerous, as they should be.

I wouldn't have had a big problem if they weren't everywhere in that level from the start.

chubs

Novice
I never had an issue with them as it was easy enough to run up on them and 1 or 2 shot them with a claymore before they even locked eyes with me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom