Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*IT* IS COMING. (Diablo 3 beta)

Castanova

Prophet
Zed said:
what are the abilities you gain as an archon?

I don't think anyone knows yet.

Overweight Manatee said:
It should be obvious that their primary method of obtainment is going to be the Auction House. Skill runes are nothing more than another form of equipment Blizzard is going to try and sell.

Look, I think the real money auction house is a greedy cash grab too. It also has no impact whatsoever on anyone's gameplay experience who declines to use it.

Multi-headed Cow

Unless the items are set to drop super infrequently. And then if you get one, are you going to list your super rare item for in game hats, or are you going to put it up for cash money dollars?

Sordid Jester

Educated
Castanova said:
Look, I think the real money auction house is a greedy cash grab too. It also has no impact whatsoever on anyone's gameplay experience who declines to use it.
Except for the game being built around the Auction House itself, that is. The whole not wanting people offline 'cause they'll miss that Auction House fun et al meaning you're playing it wrong if you don't give blizzard all of your moneys to buy a dagger with a minor fire enchant.

Castanova

Prophet
Sordid Jester said:
Except for the game being built around the Auction House itself, that is. The whole not wanting people offline 'cause they'll miss that Auction House fun et al meaning you're playing it wrong if you don't give blizzard all of your moneys to buy a dagger with a minor fire enchant.

I might have considered this post merely ridiculous if Diablo 3 were to be a serious competitive "e-sport" or something... but since it's mostly a PvE game you play with friends, this post is back to being considered delusional.

Unless the items are set to drop super infrequently. And then if you get one, are you going to list your super rare item for in game hats, or are you going to put it up for cash money dollars?

Not sure I see your point. Am I supposed to be frightened at the prospect of making real money while playing a game I (potentially) enjoy while outlaying no cash money dollars myself?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Castanova said:
Sordid Jester said:

I might have considered this post merely ridiculous if Diablo 3 were to be a serious competitive "e-sport" or something... but since it's mostly a PvE game you play with friends, this post is back to being considered delusional.

Where does it say it is "mostly a multiplayer PvE" experience? What about my single player campaign :x

Sordid Jester

Educated
Castanova said:
I might have considered this post merely ridiculous if Diablo 3 were to be a serious creation for the entertainment of its "consumer" base or something.. but since it's mostly an auction house game you play with credit cards, this post is back to being considered delusional.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Sordid Jester said:
Castanova said:
I might have considered this post merely ridiculous if Diablo 3 were to be a serious creation for the entertainment of its "consumer" base or something.. but since it's mostly an auction house game you play with credit cards, this post is back to being considered delusional.

Strong wit. Repeat it a third time and I'll consider it impressive

xemous

Arcane
it's a single player mmo lol. now i know we're in the end times.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Serious_Business said:
Sordid Jester said:
Castanova said:

Strong wit. Repeat it a third time and I'll consider it impressive
I.. I.. I can't. I'm sorry, I feel like I've let the whole team down.

I hope we can still have a beer after work

Needles

Scholar
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/co...monk-combos-and-the-skill-interface#more-6726

Code:
 I don’t want to just repeat my comment from above, but this sounds like more of the same. D3′s controls are adequate and easy to learn/see, but they’re not customizable or designed for really expert, dexterous play. And this is by design, almost as a form of game balancing. If players were able to switch weapons, hotkey elixirs, swap instantly between numerous active skills, etc…. that would be bad. Apparently. In the eyes of the developers. I’m fine with them banning UI mods and other macros or automations, but I don’t see removing hotkeys as a great approach.

tldr: Blizzard dumbs down controls/UI, some dude notices and posts it on the front page of a "fansite".

I've been asking myself for years... how come Diablo fansites have sensible editors who, compared to their Bio/Beth/etc counterparts at least smell the decline when it hits them -still steaming- in the face.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
genius

why not have a togglable 'character ai' button that lowers the barrier of knowing how to play the game so you can enjoy the cinematic yet confusing diablo combat

Kraszu

Prophet
Needles said:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/co...monk-combos-and-the-skill-interface#more-6726

Code:
 I don’t want to just repeat my comment from above, but this sounds like more of the same. D3′s controls are adequate and easy to learn/see, but they’re not customizable or designed for really expert, dexterous play. And this is by design, almost as a form of game balancing. If players were able to switch weapons, hotkey elixirs, swap instantly between numerous active skills, etc…. that would be bad. Apparently. In the eyes of the developers. I’m fine with them banning UI mods and other macros or automations, but I don’t see removing hotkeys as a great approach.

tldr: Blizzard dumbs down controls/UI, some dude notices and posts it on the front page of a "fansite".

I've been asking myself for years... how come Diablo fansites have sensible editors who, compared to their Bio/Beth/etc counterparts at least smell the decline when it hits them -still steaming- in the face.

blizzard said:
We don’t want all Spirit generating attacks to be accessible with the repeated push of one button. Not only would that make monks play very differently from the other classes, it’s not really how Diablo skill gameplay works fundamentally.

Code:
It’s visual and accessible and all that, but slower in function compared to D2′s mouse-clicking system. guess this is the same logic that led them to ban player UI mods, to remove the DiabloWikiweapon switch hotkey, and to limit active skills to six at a time. Customizable controls would give an advantage to players who really knew what they were doing, and Blizzard wants a dumbed-down noob-friendly playing field?

Not being able to play the game by spamming 2 mouse clicks = dumbing down. :lol:

UI limitations exist to make the game harder not easier.

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how the DPS value font is three times larger than the rest of the weapon description.

Castanova

Prophet
Blizzard knows where their bread is buttered.

Yesterday I downloaded the client and the d3sharp emulator. Still no point in trying it. You can only "log in" to b.net and mess around in the menus / create a character. You get an error when you try to start the game. Son, I am disappoint.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Kraszu said:
Needles said:

Code:

blizzard said:
We don’t want all Spirit generating attacks to be accessible with the repeated push of one button. Not only would that make monks play very differently from the other classes, it’s not really how Diablo skill gameplay works fundamentally.

Code:
It’s visual and accessible and all that, but slower in function compared to D2′s mouse-clicking system. guess this is the same logic that led them to ban player UI mods, to remove the DiabloWikiweapon switch hotkey, and to limit active skills to six at a time. Customizable controls would give an advantage to players who really knew what they were doing, and Blizzard wants a dumbed-down noob-friendly playing field?

Not being able to play the game by spamming 2 mouse clicks = dumbing down. :lol:

Reminds me of the survival horror approach to control design... "the controls are shit because it makes the game more difficult!" It's a completely artificial barrier and it's absurd that developers think making their interface difficult is a legitimate design decision. I suppose if I replaced the steering mechanism on someone's car with a series of buttons and levers they'd never seen before, removed one of the car's wheels, and told them "well, obviously you just aren't good enough to drive", that'd be perfectly acceptable too, right? Hey, I've got a way to make your game harder, how about every 5 seconds, the screen turns black and you need to hit Ctrl+Y+F7+Insert to get it back? Challenge! Fucking idiots, can't believe hacks like this get paid for what they do.

Castanova

Prophet
Those answers are from a Community Manager. In other words, a guy who mods a forum for a living. Something tells me he doesn't exactly have his finger on the pulse of why the game designers are doing what they're doing.

Why would you want to be able to automate attack chains? That's retarded. Why don't you guys ask pro gamers from any of the fighting games like Street Fighter if they think their game should have automated combos and see what the response is.

The lack of extra hotkeys is, I pretty much guarantee, a function of Blizzard's mandate to release this thing before year end. There have been many posts on their forums with interface upgrade requests. Blizzard has said they're not willing to add in new features at this point until post launch. It's called feature creep.

Gregz

Arcane
sea said:
Reminds me of the survival horror approach to control design... "the controls are shit because it makes the game more difficult!" It's a completely artificial barrier and it's absurd that developers think making their interface difficult is a legitimate design decision. I suppose if I replaced the steering mechanism on someone's car with a series of buttons and levers they'd never seen before, removed one of the car's wheels, and told them "well, obviously you just aren't good enough to drive", that'd be perfectly acceptable too, right? Hey, I've got a way to make your game harder, how about every 5 seconds, the screen turns black and you need to hit Ctrl+Y+F7+Insert to get it back? Challenge! Fucking idiots, can't believe hacks like this get paid for what they do.

+1

Castanova said:
The lack of extra hotkeys is, I pretty much guarantee, a function of Blizzard's mandate to release this thing before year end. There have been many posts on their forums with interface upgrade requests. Blizzard has said they're not willing to add in new features at this point until post launch. It's called feature creep.

Blizzard since forever: "We'll release it when it's ready, no sooner"

Although, D3 is approaching MMO'ishness. So perhaps you're right and we'll start seeing hotfixes and nerfs every few months....whether we want them or not. I guess this is another feature the user will no longer have control of, which patch version they are playing. :roll:

Kraszu

Prophet
Kraszu said:

sea said:
Reminds me of the survival horror approach to control design... "the controls are shit because it makes the game more difficult!" It's a completely artificial barrier and it's absurd that developers think making their interface difficult is a legitimate design decision.

Lack of auto aiming in FPS is also artificial UI gimp. You want to aim at the head, the PC can do it perfectly yet you have to do it yourself = artificial barrier.

UI can also play with your focus, if you can do something automatically with pressing a button, then you don't have to pay attention to it = less time management that is part of quality rts like SC:BW, but almost doesn't exist in shit like SC2. People think that best players are fast so they can do everything, but that isn't the case they have to decide on what to focus as well, doing everything that you would like to do in the game like SC:BW is impossible so you need to make fast decisions, you need to know when you can switch from battle to your base, when it is better to focus on it instead etc. Well the problem with that is that you must be really good for this to be important so I rather watch SC:BW then try to play it myself, but watching would not be nearly as interesting if not for it.

sea said:
I suppose if I replaced the steering mechanism on someone's car with a series of buttons and levers they'd never seen before, removed one of the car's wheels, and told them "well, obviously you just aren't good enough to drive", that'd be perfectly acceptable too, right? Hey, I've got a way to make your game harder, how about every 5 seconds, the screen turns black and you need to hit Ctrl+Y+F7+Insert to get it back? Challenge! Fucking idiots, can't believe hacks like this get paid for what they do.

Your example is of making the controls unintuitive, and that would be annoying, and not something that Blizzard do. What Blizzard do is making you switch the skill as part of the combo that you want to make, and not allow for it to be done automatically so the gameplay will be more then click, click, click. Also they had limited the number of slots so you need to choose what you want to use, but the possibility to switch it instantly seem to make it pointless so I don't really know what they were thinking when doing that, many people complain about that instant switching. I don't see how having slots or extra hot key for potions that you will not have to use (definitely not in normal) could confuse a new player.

Your other example would stop you from playing the game and it would be tedious. I had never said that every challenge is good, UI gimps must be judge on individual basis as well.

Castanova

Prophet
Gregz said:
Blizzard since forever: "We'll release it when it's ready, no sooner"

Sorry, but the appearance of comprehensive hotkey support has basically no bearing on the quality of the game at launch. That's just whining for the sake of whining. The fact is, the controls are easy and intuitive, if not extremely robust. There's no obfuscation just to make the game harder. If you think that hotkeyed elixirs are critical to your enjoyment of the game then you're trying too hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom