Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric??

Hazelnut

Erudite
Ivy Mike said:
What Roqua, dagorkan, Dhruin, Astro and Fez said.

You forgot me...

Hazelnut said:
In before retardo.

First time I've ever posted that meme I think, but then the thread deserved it!

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
Ivy Mike said:
What Roqua, dagorkan, Dhruin, Astro and Fez said.

You forgot me...
God dammit! Let's do it again:
What Hazelnut, Roqua, dagorkan, Dhruin, Astro and Fez said.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I'm breaking my in-before-retardo virginity:
In before retardo!

Severian Silk

denizsi said:
Scroll down a little here for a more relevant comparison from game UFO:AI.

Much better. I find that orthographic view is more intuitive for grid-based games like AoD.

denizsi

Arcane
Me too, but the assholes just can't discuss it without exhibiting their affliction of oversensitive-crybaby syndrome. They are still stuck in the arguement in the first very post, neglecting/ignoring further suggestions. Hear me, ye old fucks?

jeansberg

Liturgist
There's nothing wrong with your idea. It's just that I don't care whether the game is viewed ortographically or perspectively.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I understand and respect what you guys are saying and your opinion, but it's kind of like my wife asking me about what shower curtain to buy. I truly don't give a fuck and it angers me that anyone thinks I should.

Lets put this in perspective: lets say I logged on to the biggest gaming site there is, and I gave one of my rpg rants. I wouldn't be suprised at all if people reacted the same we have here on this issue. I get that reaction from people that post on sites called RPGcodex and RPGwatch (sites where they are supposed to care) when I post my correctness. So at best, even if you posted on sites called Game-perspectivescodex and game-perspectiveswatch, you could still expect to get push back on this trivial issue. The audience who cares about actually talking about it is minimal. Probably dwarfed by even furries or people who think they are really vampires communities.

The only advice I have for all three of you is to start a website and spread the awareness, and by this time next year there might be 6 or 7 members and you guys could all complain about how everyone sucks because they don't understand the true nature of perspectives and how every game gets it wrong.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, there are really vampire communities. Or at least communities of people who like to think of themselves as vampires. Or cyberpunks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mikail said:
Here are two screenshots of GearHead 2:

As you can see, the orthographic one looks much better.

The second one looks MUCH better to me, leaps and bounds. I really hope AoD will have an option to enable a fixed camera perspective.

Severian Silk

Here is a list of isometric games. Notice that AoD does not appear on it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Random internet posters, a.k.a. Wikipedia, are never wrong, so you win again.

Fez

Erudite
I just looked at it and AoD is on it though. :?

Fez

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

Looks like it isn't random posters VD. I looked into it some more to see what was going on. Look at the talk section for AoD.

Isometric

This game is not isometric. It should not be listed as such. SharkD 22:53, 19 May 2007 (UTC)

I don't know, it's listed as isometric by most websites I've examined eg [1] [2] [3] and iirc the creator has referred to it as isometric before. However this might have been only with respect to the initial version of the game. -- Solberg 23:32, 19 May 2007 (UTC)Solberg

I started a thread in the AoD discussion forum. We're waiting for the developer to change the website. SharkD 00:33, 20 May 2007 (UTC)

It was Mikail (SharkD) who removed it from the list of isometric games. He's using his own edit to back himself up. Pretty fucking lame. That only goes to show how unreliable Wikipedia is for this sort of thing.

Severian Silk

Fez said:
I just looked at it and AoD is on it though. :?
Somebody added it to the list after I made my post.

It was Mikail (SharkD) who removed it from the list of isometric games. He's using his own edit to back himself up. Pretty fucking lame. That only goes to show how unreliable Wikipedia is for this sort of thing.
I did no such thing.

Fez

Erudite
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =131518652

So I guess someone hacked your PC to make that edit changing the first sentence? You've been editing the article for a while now and obviously have been arguing and editing in favor of this point of view. Smugly liking to an unreliable Wikipedia list was bad enough without that added to it.

Severian Silk

Certainly, I edited the first sentence. However, nowhere is there a list in the first sentence (like you said).

VD said:
My point is that if your opinion is so widespread among the professional gaming industry, at least one random Internet person would have listed a game with a similar camera system to yours.

Fez

Erudite
Mikail said:
My point is that if your opinion is so widespread among the professional gaming industry, at least one random Internet person would have listed a game with a similar camera system to yours.

That is the most retarded idea you've had yet, Mikail.

Mikail said:
Certainly, I edited the first sentence. However, nowhere is there a list in the first sentence (like you said).

These articles are what generates the list, you weasel. If it isn't marked as isometric then it doesn't show up on that other list. You've been editing it and arguing on the talk pages for it. Random editors there that could be yourself editing to push this or anyone else because the whole thing is untrustworthy and is a pathetic way to back up your claims. You may as well smugly quote your own forum posts here next time and claim that is your source of authority.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Being a simple country bumpkin, I naively define isometric as something that's neither first-person, nor second person (ok, I'm kidding about this one), nor third person, nor top-down view.
Well, Vault Dweller seems to be agreeing with me and he's one of the developers, so I win!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's call it Shut The Fuck Up And Discuss More Important Things view.

Fez

Erudite
This kind of thing is why Wikipedia sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom