Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Is Troika Dead?

Briosafreak

Augur
They didn`t want to do it right away, Saint is right. The only time they talked about doing follow ups was when they were making ToEE, and they weren´t thinking about a sequel but a series of D&D games. Things with Atari didn`t work out completely well and they droped the idea to persue new ideas. When the Vampires deal comes out they decided to go for a sequel, in this case of Fallout, or if that wasn`t possible of a spiritual successor. Although i might be wrong in this or that detail things went more or less like this, so Saint is right.

DarkSign

Erudite
Ok the source isnt the greatest...but you cant beat using clout to get to the source:

"So GameSpot went to the man himself, co-CEO and co-founder Leonard Boyarsky, to find out what's what. Boyarsky then gave us this cryptic answer: "We are basically perusing some options...after the beginning of February, we'll be making a statement." So, for now, they're still in business. But with February less than a week away, that could change soon.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus for now. "

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I do not think it is very constructive of you to return from hiatus by making inflammatory and insulting remarks towards me in two out of your three new posts, that serve little more than to curtail whatever present discussion the rest of us may be engaged in.

Vault Dweller earlier claimed that you were one of our few remaining intelligent posters but your actions do very little justice to the term 'intelligence'. I would ask for you to maintain some modicum of civility in your presence on the RPG Codex, but I regret that much of my words may go unheeded because your stubborn attitude.

I try to be civil ever so often, but often am I dragged down to those very despicable levels of behaviour that I despise. I would ask you if it is in your best interest, or mine, as well as everyone else's for you to behave like a petulent child.

Please, feel free to ponder on that.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
Vault Dweller earlier claimed that you were one of our few remaining intelligent posters but your actions do very little justice to the term 'intelligence'.
Correction: the exact words were:

It's a shame that quality posters are leaving.
We do have a lot of readers, we have good posters, but still it's a shame when people who have something to say and can debate leave the site. I hope it's a temporary thing and they'll come back.
You made it sound like I implied that most people are stupid here which was never the case.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Spazmo said:
OMG ur credability r shit REX

:: insert picture of guy looking like Kramer from Seinfeld in a greeting position saying "Welcome to last year"::

::LOL::

And like Darksign posted:

"We are basically perusing some options...after the beginning of February, we'll be making a statement."

So I say: everyone, put a sock in it for now. All this speculation from industry watchdogs and self-elected alumni bores me to tears. Verily it does.
:twisted:

taks

Liturgist
kumquatq3 said:
Couldn't you just see EA buying Troika?
realistically speaking, what's to buy? atari owns toee (engine, too, from what i understand), white-wolf owns bloodlines (halflife engine) and wasn't arcanum sierra?

taks

M0rphz0rz

Novice
taks said:
kumquatq3 said:
Couldn't you just see EA buying Troika?
realistically speaking, what's to buy? atari owns toee (engine, too, from what i understand), white-wolf owns bloodlines (halflife engine) and wasn't arcanum sierra?

Actually, Troika owns the ToEE engine, though it obviously couldn't release another D&D game without Atari.

taks

Liturgist
perhaps... there were issues, however, regarding a release of the toolset for toee (atari said NO) and that's what i based my assumption on. it may have just been because a toolset release would be for D&D purposes, which certainly is atari.

either way, i don't see that as much IP to justify a "sale" in the same sense as mentioned above...

taks

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Re: If this is true, it's a sad day indeed

Trash said:
But Leon's tight pasty white arse is still Troika's! That oughta be worth something.

You'd be surprised how little pasty white man-ass goes for on the streets of Irvine...

Ok maybe you wouldn't

Ekodas

Novice
Spotted at NMA, taken from HomeLANfed :

"Leonard Boyarsky (CEO of Troika) talked to HomeLAN Fed regarding the latest rumor about Troika, here's what he said:

However, HomeLAN contacted Trokia's CEO Leonard Boyarsky over the phone and he repeated to us what he told GameSpot; that the developer is still in business, although he told us that Trokia is currently "pursuing other options" for the company. A statement on Trokia's future will be made sometime next month although Boyarsky told us that the announcement will likely not come this coming week as the GameSpot rumor story hinted.

Leonard also told me that they're still here, so they're not dead or closing doors. "

I thought it was worth mentioning.

Link to NMA's news/thread : http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11740

DarkSign

Erudite
Exitium said:
The gamespot thing is old news. This thread was about the verification of that rumor.

Are you that worried about being first or best that you insecurely have to remind us of that?

Several people in this thread, most noteably YOU, cant seem to get the point that the nails are ANYWHERE but in the coffin.

You might want to hold back a bit before Troika comes back and you have to eat crow...again.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Really? Are you trying to ignore the multitude of times where Troika explicitly stated that they wanted to do a sequel for Arcanum. That, in fact, they'd love to; but it wasn't their call? Or the fact, they even had a list of old GH modules they wanted to do as follow ups to TOEE even prior to its release which didn't materialize? Seriosuly, Saint, out of all the statements I've made, that isn't even opinion but a hardcore fact. Well, I'll give you this: I doubt the publishers in question actually used the words 'Fuck off!'. Heh.

It's not hardcore fact, it's PR. They're not going to come out and say, "Hey, we didn't like dealing with Hasbro and Atari's last minute content cuts when they'd okayed all that stuff through the course of development. So, fuck a bunch of dealing with Atari." At the same time, they know people are interested in sequels. They're not going to happen, so you might as well tell people what they want to hear. Consider it California Ethics.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well I just get back from 2 weeks holiday in Egypt to find out that Troika is tottering on their last legs (most likely).

Frankly I'm not surprised.

I admit that I have enjoyed all 3 of Troika's games (to some degree), and they were definitely improving with each effort (IMHO), but they were all also flawed in many ways, both from a design and stability viewpoint. Also whether due to incompetence or just being "the little guy" they didn't seem capable of mainting stable and professional relationships with any of their three different publishers.

It's a pity really, because they really were the last small developer out there who were producing CRPG of reasonable quality and pushing the envelope a little bit at the same time.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Lolz. Why wasn't I surprised?

Exitium said:
whine whine whine

Please, feel free to ponder on that.

I already pondered. You're still a hypocritical, sniveling, ignorant, self-serving ass desperate for any kind of attention. Bu-bye, and I'll be seeing you again by the end of February. Cheerio, good luck and ta-ta.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I can. I always feel the love around me.

Though I bet Rex would feel a lot more love if he came down from his high horse and got under the horse. That'd be a lot of lovin'.

Briosafreak

Augur
Putting a dumbfuck rank on Role Player is ridiculous. Grow up a bit and remove it Rex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom