Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Is Troika Dead?

RGE

Liturgist
MarFish said:
You make it sound like super hits are random, unpredictable events and not the work of people doing their job right. Sometimes (The Sims) that might be the case ...
Are you suggesting that The Sims was a random hit and not the result of someone being smart enough to know what would sell? I'd say that when someone finds an untapped market and cashes in on it, they're "doing their job right". It doesn't matter if they didn't know how well it would sell either, because the success still depended upon them doing their job right. Unpredictable for most people perhaps, but the job still has to be done right, whether that job is to program a game or to come up with the idea for a game.

As for Troika's reputation, I think that it matters most to would-be publishers and not so much to would-be customers. Word may get around, but as far as I know the internet gaming community is small compared to the amount of customers. I suppose a larger minority (maybe even a majority) read reviews, so when mainstream review sources mention the reputation of a developer it might count for something.

Fez

Erudite
It gives us all something to argue about, and that's why everyone is here really. Nevermind all that stuff about RPGs. :P

RGE - You'd be surprised just how many people even bought Tribes 2 and had no intention to play it online, and that game was practically worthless offline. I remember a few marketing surveys had been done but the number off offline players is still larger than online. I can't tell you how many play offline but still frequent forums though.

A reputation for a developer or publisher does matter enough to harm sales, and that is what concerns the publishers and their wallets.

MarFish

Liturgist
RGE said:
MarFish said:
You make it sound like super hits are random, unpredictable events and not the work of people doing their job right. Sometimes (The Sims) that might be the case ...
Are you suggesting that The Sims was a random hit and not the result of someone being smart enough to know what would sell?

Yes, I'm suggesting that, based on Will Wright's assertions in an interview a while back.

Avé

Liturgist
I still dont see how Troika's reputation would have seriously hurt Bloodlines sales, outside a group of hardcore fallout/troika fans on the internet.

Bloodlines received good reviews, pretty much all round, I dont see a random person walking into GAME/EB, seeing the box, staring intently at it & seeing the tiny troika logo on the front and going "This game recieved good reviews, I've never heard of Troika before, and dont even know what connection they have with the game, but I'm certainly not buying it now".

M0rphz0rz

Novice
Woohoo, let's go for 30. Is there any subject we haven't covered yet in this thread? What about the influence of sun activity on Troika's games?

Fez

Erudite
I noticed you can copare Troika's fortunes with the phases of the planets. If they can last until Jupiter is in the correct alignment then we can expect good things from them. So yeah, lets blame those planets. Bastards.

Avin

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
Any word yet?

nope, you know, he has fled here to braSil, and it's carnival for a while... if he went to bahia you'll have to wait at least until next sunday :)

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Troika bombed out simply because they have shit lawyers, if any at all. Oh, they also made sucky games, too.
GET OUT T3H MARSHMELLOOS! IT'S GONNA BE A HAWT ONE 1!!111!!

Briosafreak

Augur
Naked_Lunch said:
Can we all just shut the fuck up now until Leo makes his fucking annoucnement? 21 fucking pages, I mean come on!

Good idea, Avè let`s wait a few days ok? Who knows where this leads...

Fez

Erudite
My money is still on Tim Cain dedicating his life to music and his love of children.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
My money's on the fact that this thread will be on page 22 before the day is through.

Fear Herve Caen!!!!
icon_confused.gif

And fear pink laughing cat thingies!!!!

pink.gif

Mendoza

Liturgist
Well I should probably do my bit then.

Feel free to insert your own Troika related comment here =>

Anyway, I liked Bloodlines, despite the bugs (only really noticed the Leopold one) the load times and the eventual hackfest, so I'll be sad to see Troika go under, assuming that's the case.

Ekodas

Novice
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Fear Herve Caen!!!!

Fear the 365 563 euros Herve took for his 2003's salary, just a few months before his company went bankrupt (his bro took 149 126 € 'only'). Data here.

Actually, I'm just trying to help you reach the page 22 milestone.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Oooo, it's makes me wonder!
And it makes me wonder

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen

Yes there are two paths you can go by
but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Your head is humming and it won't go because you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady can't you hear the wind blow and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Woe oh oh oh oh oh
And she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed
With a word she can get what she came for

And she's buying a stairway to heaven, uh uh uh.

22, here we come!

errorcode

Liturgist
so is there a pool going on when the announcement will come and what it'll say?

I want Feb 18th that they are entertaining numerous possibilities, but have had to cut back on their teams till something comes through.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Not posting Tubgirl and then replying to it a bunch of times with useless comments just to raise your post counts would be a good idea, too. Whine about it if you want. You know just as well as I that that posting that kind of shit has no place here. If someone would have opened it up from a work place he could have gotten fired for it, so don't do that you fucktard.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
DU posted it in the form of a "Troika press release". It is NOT fucking funny especially when someone is by you, or if you're at work. My girlfriend asked me what the fuck was that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom